1. Post #5001
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    9,477 Posts

i'd like to announce that im now officially working on an album. and it will be name your price.

crits pls
    Sounds rather soundtrack-y, but that's just me though.

Just saw Dark Knight a few days ago and this reminded me of it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

2. Post #5002
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,232 Posts
    Sounds rather soundtrack-y, but that's just me though.

Just saw Dark Knight a few days ago and this reminded me of it
    it's in the same key as most of the dark knight rises OST i think, which is a bit annoying. and also kinda cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #5003
    Dennab
    December 2009
    1,739 Posts
    Hey guys look at me I'm Aaron Funk.

Not sure what to say about this. I sat down and started making a breakcore song.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

4. Post #5004
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,944 Posts
    Hey guys, finished up this Hardwell-styled track I posted earlier:

Expect to see this on iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Spotify, Last.fm etc soon, hope you guys like it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

5. Post #5005
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,459 Posts
    Listen to Soundcloud recording

http://soundcloud.com/luffymusics/lam

i'd like to announce that im now officially working on an album. and it will be name your price.

crits pls
    Sounds like a great intro/outro track to an album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #5006
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,028 Posts

Expect to see this on iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, Spotify, Last.fm etc soon, hope you guys like it!

Really like this! will probably buy when you release it

Not sure how I feel about this, it still needs a lot of work.

First thing I've uploaded since I deleted everything on my soundcloud account. I wasn't really happy with anything that was on it so I just trashed it all. woop woop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #5007
    Dennab
    March 2010
    2,002 Posts
    Trying to dubstep, but I swear the bass sounds completely different (doesn't clip at all) if you download it and listen, wtf soundcloud.

8. Post #5008
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    dope melody
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #5009
    September 2008
    1,095 Posts
    Hi guys.

I really tried something different for this song.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #5010
    August 2010
    2,203 Posts
    I made this two months ago and I haven't really gotten any new ideas since then. I'm just curious as to what you guys think.

It was made entirely out of samples, fyi.

I really enjoyed the intro to this song with the sound of rain and such. It added a nice atmosphere to it. The vocals totally changed the feeling of the song though, but not in a bad way. My only complaint was that the little xylophone (I'm not sure exactly) thing sounded out of place. Really liked the strings though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #5011
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,793 Posts
    This might sound ignorant but I'm actually very content with the synths and sounds themselves - just not the mixing. I did some adjustments in response to some of the things mentioned in this thread, and I'm gonna see if I can't listen to this around the house on different speakers and in the car.

And thanks for the very positive comments about Shimmer. :)

Edited:

It's very disorganized, in my opinion. It's all out of sync, slightly out of key, and it sounds like everything's going it's own direction. You could probably figure out a way to tie 'em all together but I dunno.

Edited:

Trying to dubstep, but I swear the bass sounds completely different (doesn't clip at all) if you download it and listen, wtf soundcloud.

I love the introduction but I do have a particular qualm about the bass that comes in. The sound itself is there but it sounds "confused" in that it doesn't really sound like there's a set bassline outside of just gliding awkwardly up. The sound itself is there though, and there's only a small clip of it, so I'm assuming you've done or are on your way to doing something much more with it. Really awesome stuff though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #5012
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    4,710 Posts
    fuckin about and makin metal shit i dunno man listen to it dont jerk me off
    WIP

13. Post #5013
    I once watched a girl get eaten by a horse and it was bad
    December 2008
    5,685 Posts
    Hey guys, I uploaded a track to bandcamp here!

Buy it if you want to, I'm not saying you have to

14. Post #5014
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,740 Posts

http://soundcloud.com/kruma/v-002

Leave at least 0.3 dB of headroom when you upload to SC to avoid this kinda stuff.

I like it but you gotta upload something with more than 5 seconds of the drop :(. Oh and those drums are a little muddy try cleaning them up a bit, maybe throw in a hihat too.

Edited:

http://soundcloud.com/wauterboi/cont...-as-of-8-17-12

This might sound ignorant but I'm actually very content with the synths and sounds themselves - just not the mixing. I did some adjustments in response to some of the things mentioned in this thread, and I'm gonna see if I can't listen to this around the house on different speakers and in the car.

And thanks for the very positive comments about Shimmer. :)
    Dude damn, that's really great. I gotta agree, I love the synths, they sound great and super nice with drums. THe bassline that comes in is really in the wrong spot though, it just takes over everything and the mix gets way overly busy with that arpeggio and stuff playing. Maybe take some other stuff out when the bassline is playing, it gives it more impact.

Hey guys, I uploaded a track to bandcamp here!

Buy it if you want to, I'm not saying you have to
    You should probably lowpass that bass a little lower and turn it down volume vise. I like the bassline but it's way too loud.

Also I would probably not release sampled tracks like this, would definitely go with the whole Pretty Lights free download with optional donation since that probably would get you into less of a legal mess if you ever got sued. Unless you own the rights to whatever you sampled ofc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #5015
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    New track :), it's finished as far as I'm concerned but I don't want to open a new topic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #5016

17. Post #5017
    December 2008
    5,685 Posts
    You should probably lowpass that bass a little lower and turn it down volume vise. I like the bassline but it's way too loud.

Also I would probably not release sampled tracks like this, would definitely go with the whole Pretty Lights free download with optional donation since that probably would get you into less of a legal mess if you ever got sued. Unless you own the rights to whatever you sampled ofc.
    aghhh fuck ok I'll make it free, I don't care anyway, not like it woulda made anything anyways

18. Post #5018
    GOLF WANG
    August 2006
    7,596 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

19. Post #5019

20. Post #5020
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,232 Posts
    i like this. as you said though, it's pretty rough, the levels need to be changed on the various instruments

boredom

21. Post #5021

22. Post #5022
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,719 Posts
    Finally got a new PC on the way, can't wait to be able to add a bunch of vsts without destroying the CPU
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #5023
    August 2009
    950 Posts
    New track :), it's finished as far as I'm concerned but I don't want to open a new topic.
    Diggin this. I love your minimal style and the way it is mixed. You could make some terrific soundtracks. Keep up the good work. This one is just the right amount of repetition.

Edited:

Hey guys look at me I'm Aaron Funk.

Not sure what to say about this. I sat down and started making a breakcore song.
    Do you sample that yourself? it'd be great to find people who actually sample in this thread.
    I really like it. Very grimy, but the bass isn't strong enough.

Edited:

I'd love it if you glitched it once in a while, instead of all at once at 2:30
    Otherwise, it's a very charming song. I wish it had some kind of strong backing rhythm noise to add a little more depth. I really like how it ends. Doesn't matter if it's rough, that's why this thread is here. It's not meant for professionals

Edited:

I don't get it. Wheres the hook? Where's the emotion? are you a musician or a music slave?

Mixed and mastered well isn't a hook. If other people like it, it's fine. It just doesn't seem to have any emotion to it. Just seems disconnected and abrasive. It's missing something for me to follow. Something for me to get lost in.

This is a slightly different genre, but notice that there is something to follow in the song.

Or you could make your style more intriguing

I'm not a great musician, but this is what separates you from the elite. A hook.

Edited:

I'm not sure what this is, but I'm keepin it on the album for now. It'll flow into a song.
    I want my album to force people to chill out. Something for long bike rides. Something of all styles. Something like Four-Tet but more precise.

How could I mix it better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #5024
    GOLF WANG
    August 2006
    7,596 Posts
    i've been lacking

here's a cover of your ex-lover is dead by stars

harmonizing with myself sort of kind of

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #5025
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,307 Posts

Like it. I'm a *huge* fan of Hardwell's music. Very nice track, although I felt like it was missing something and Atta|To|End pointed it out:

I don't get it. Wheres the hook? Where's the emotion? are you a musician or a music slave?

Mixed and mastered well isn't a hook. If other people like it, it's fine. It just doesn't seem to have any emotion to it. Just seems disconnected and abrasive. It's missing something for me to follow. Something for me to get lost in.
    I agree with Atta, it does seem to lack any kind of emotion. Doesn't seem like it would keep a crowd going crazy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

26. Post #5026
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,793 Posts
    i've been lacking

here's a cover of your ex-lover is dead by stars

harmonizing with myself sort of kind of

dude

you could sing and play anything and it'd sound good i think

following your soundcloud
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #5027
    August 2009
    950 Posts

I agree with Atta, it does seem to lack any kind of emotion. Doesn't seem like it would keep a crowd going crazy.
    I just hate to see people become the opener that 3 people danced to before Daedalus.

When you have a hook, it attracts a bigger crowd, which means you can open for anyone. Eventually you will have your own fans that remember you, and you can headline.

But this is important assuming that you play live. I hope you aren't trying to sell a cd without playing live...

28. Post #5028
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,740 Posts
    I just hate to see people become the opener that 3 people danced to before Daedalus.

When you have a hook, it attracts a bigger crowd, which means you can open for anyone. Eventually you will have your own fans that remember you, and you can headline.

But this is important assuming that you play live. I hope you aren't trying to sell a cd without playing live...
    We aren't superstars here.

Sometimes just some good ol simple electro house can be enough. And I don't think Larry G's song had a lack of emotion, it was simply a little too close to what hardwell is doing and was kind of lacking in stuff to fill the frequency spectrum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #5029
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,944 Posts

Well, out of the 84 comments I got on Soundcloud alone, you're the first one to point this out. Does that mean you're wrong, I don't know honestly. It does take a while for the song to build up and by the time it really takes off, some people might have lost interest already, I can give you that. Then again, if I ever were to play this live (which I don't at the moment, I just sit behind my laptop and make tunes), I'd let it play from where the big synths kick in or something like that. Plus I wasn't really consistent in the use of a main melody or hook or whatever. But I thought playing the same thing over and over again would get boring to I made some variations to it.

I think my track resembles a lot of tracks that are popular today, the execution however might not be as top-notch though, and I'm fully aware of that. I know song structure isn't one of my major strenghts but I'm working on that.

As for putting more emotion in it and uh, not being a musical slave, well that's not really an easy task when you're making a mainstream electro house track that appeals to the masses. Give me an example of a popular house track that does meet these parameters. Not calling you out here, I just want to know how to improve myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #5030
    November 2007
    7,232 Posts
    Well, out of the 84 comments I got on Soundcloud alone, you're the first one to point this out. Does that mean you're wrong, I don't know honestly. It does take a while for the song to build up and by the time it really takes off, some people might have lost interest already, I can give you that. Then again, if I ever were to play this live (which I don't at the moment, I just sit behind my laptop and make tunes), I'd let it play from where the big synths kick in or something like that. Plus I wasn't really consistent in the use of a main melody or hook or whatever. But I thought playing the same thing over and over again would get boring to I made some variations to it.

I think my track resembles a lot of tracks that are popular today, the execution however might not be as top-notch though, and I'm fully aware of that. I know song structure isn't one of my major strenghts but I'm working on that.

As for putting more emotion in it and uh, not being a musical slave, well that's not really an easy task when you're making a mainstream electro house track that appeals to the masses. Give me an example of a popular house track that does meet these parameters. Not calling you out here, I just want to know how to improve myself.
    i can kinda see what atta is saying if i'm being honest. the melody lacks anything that you'll remember in days to come, and doesn't possess any soul or originality. you can easily do this in house, it's about finding your comfort zone and pushing the boundaries of it with just following through with what you truly love.

yes these songs are extremely difficult to pull off, but that's what makes the creators so revered. they're encapsulating in melody, and technicality- yours is very clean but does not leave much for the imagination.

music is like any other form of creative expression. it needs to tell a story, it needs to paint a picture, it needs a connection between the track and your mind. stop caring about the boundaries of 4x4, house, hardwell, whatever the hell you like, and go all out.

this isn't about other people anyway, this is about you. you'll figure it all out in time - and when you figure it out, it'll separate you from those guys who spam youtube comment sections with skrillex ripoffs

31. Post #5031
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,944 Posts
    Sounds like I need to write a novel before I can actually start working on a song. In all seriousness though, I can understand what you're saying. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about these things before or during the production, maybe I should. I just plug in my MIDI keyboard and mess around untill I come up with something that sounds cool, be it a melody, a chord progression or even a bassline. Then I expand from there. I don't ask myself the question 'Does this tell a story?', rather 'Does this sound good to my ears?' and 'Will other people like this as well?'. I can't tell whether that's a good mindset or not, but that's how it is for me.

What I do is I just listen to other songs and pick things from them that I like. Yeah I know, the track sounds a bit too much like something Hardwell would do but hey it's not like I'm hiding it or anything. And I know my overall song structure isn't all that great, I've always been struggling with that. Then again, I've only been serious about music production for like a year and I made like what, 8-10 tracks? I don't really have a style of my own, yet. That might be the problem. It also explains why my Soundcloud channel has all kinds of different genres in it, I just go about making a track when I feel like it.

The problem is that I try so hard to be liked by other people, as a musician. So I replicate things other popular artists do. Is that a bad thing, I don't know. It's not very original, I know that too I'm not blind, but I can't just come up with something revolutionary overnight. I just make something that I'd like to hear myself if I were a listener.

But the thing about that creative expression, telling a story, painting a picture and so on, those things so vague and subjective. I mean, when do you tell whether a song is expressive or has something to say? I don't have a clue to accomplish any of them. Maybe it comes with experience I don't know, but I'll keep trying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #5032
    November 2007
    7,232 Posts
    Sounds like I need to write a novel before I can actually start working on a song. In all seriousness though, I can understand what you're saying. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about these things before or during the production, maybe I should. I just plug in my MIDI keyboard and mess around untill I come up with something that sounds cool, be it a melody, a chord progression or even a bassline. Then I expand from there. I don't ask myself the question 'Does this tell a story?', rather 'Does this sound good to my ears?' and 'Will other people like this as well?'. I can't tell whether that's a good mindset or not, but that's how it is for me.

What I do is I just listen to other songs and pick things from them that I like. Yeah I know, the track sounds a bit too much like something Hardwell would do but hey it's not like I'm hiding it or anything. And I know my overall song structure isn't all that great, I've always been struggling with that. Then again, I've only been serious about music production for like a year and I made like what, 8-10 tracks? I don't really have a style of my own, yet. That might be the problem. It also explains why my Soundcloud channel has all kinds of different genres in it, I just go about making a track when I feel like it.

The problem is that I try so hard to be liked by other people, as a musician. So I replicate things other popular artists do. Is that a bad thing, I don't know. It's not very original, I know that too I'm not blind, but I can't just come up with something revolutionary overnight. I just make something that I'd like to hear myself if I were a listener.

But the thing about that creative expression, telling a story, painting a picture and so on, those things so vague and subjective. I mean, when do you tell whether a song is expressive or has something to say? I don't have a clue to accomplish any of them. Maybe it comes with experience I don't know, but I'll keep trying.
    well sure, i'm trying to explain it in my own terms and it is by no means something you should follow. all i'm trying to say is that how other people think about your music doesn't matter; your greatest success will come from when your music is inspiring to you

the quickest way to achieve this is to simply go as far out of your comfort zone as possible, and settle when you find something unique that you can call yours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

33. Post #5033
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,459 Posts

34. Post #5034
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    4,144 Posts
    Bar Confessions
    Genre: Rap

First time recording in a booth (home made, not professional), so I was pretty excited about that. Lyrics are on the cloud page. I did the mixing too, never done that before.

Edited:

I was vibing that for sure. I don't know if it really needs anything TBH. Maybe throwing in some female vocals in the middle or something would sound chill.

35. Post #5035
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,719 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

36. Post #5036
    December 2008
    5,685 Posts
    Hey guys, recently the label I'm signed to currently held a little remix comp thing, and I got onto the EP!

http://www.beatport.com/track/kush-l...-remix/3709858

Buy it if you want I don't really care as long as people like it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

37. Post #5037
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,740 Posts
    The most important thing is that you should just make music you want to make and not give a shit what anyone says. Sure, it can definitely be a good thing to take mixing advice and stuff, especially if you're starting out. There is definitely a difference between a good and a bad mix, but as for musical style, just have fun with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #5038

December 2011
    720 Posts
    Sounds like I need to write a novel before I can actually start working on a song. In all seriousness though, I can understand what you're saying. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about these things before or during the production, maybe I should.
    I dont really think alot too when I make my music I just play guitar or bass or even drums and I come up with something that sounds good, something that triggers some sort of emotion in me. I think this is what Bobie is talking about, having some sort of basic emotion as the foundation to what you build is important because if you do not it will just sound bad, because music is all about raw pure emotions

I just plug in my MIDI keyboard and mess around untill I come up with something that sounds cool, be it a melody, a chord progression or even a bassline. Then I expand from there. I don't ask myself the question 'Does this tell a story?', rather 'Does this sound good to my ears?' and 'Will other people like this as well?'. I can't tell whether that's a good mindset or not, but that's how it is for me.
    I think the absolute most important question you have to ask is "Does this make me happy or in any way trigger emotions for me?" For me and I think alot of other people music is all about letting yourself go and putting yourself out there, expressing or trying to evoke feelings and thoughts by putting together notes.

What I do is I just listen to other songs and pick things from them that I like. Yeah I know, the track sounds a bit too much like something Hardwell would do but hey it's not like I'm hiding it or anything. And I know my overall song structure isn't all that great, I've always been struggling with that. Then again, I've only been serious about music production for like a year and I made like what, 8-10 tracks?
    All the great artists picked up what they liked from their favourite artists, why shouldn't you? no shame in borrowing and using what works, the reason they are great artists is because they take the good stuff from all the artists they enjoy (sort of like being a chef and making a stew, you always use certain basic ingredients, but also experiment and add taste to it by adding your own personal flavour with spices not 'recommended' by the recipe) and put it all together.

I don't really have a style of my own, yet. That might be the problem. It also explains why my Soundcloud channel has all kinds of different genres in it, I just go about making a track when I feel like it.

Why are everyone so concerned with having an original style? The members of Led Zeppelin when they started their respective instruments they all sounded like <generic artist> because they had to work their craft, taking countless hours practicing to even get to a point where they could experiment with the basic foundations You should first worry about liking yourself, it is hard for others to like you if you don't respect yourself and enjoy yourself for who you are.

Being able to tell and be expressive with music just comes with experience and sticking by with what works, and you can only accomplish that by making hundreds of songs and just borrow, steal and use the things previous and current artists do that you think works to mold your own style

I have decided to start using tindeck again, it really irritates me that soundcloud compresses and does something weird with the music to make it sound subpar...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

39. Post #5039
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts

All the great artists picked up what they liked from their favourite artists, why shouldn't you? no shame in borrowing and using what works, the reason they are great artists is because they take the good stuff from all the artists they enjoy (sort of like being a chef and making a stew, you always use certain basic ingredients, but also experiment and add taste to it by adding your own personal flavour with spices not 'recommended' by the recipe) and put it all together.
    This is pretty weird in the music industry nowadays. When people make great music it's overly romanticised, as if they did it completely on their own. This is never the case, you've got to have some notion of what you want to make before making it. There's always something in someone's music that's borrowed or inspired.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

40. Post #5040
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,793 Posts
    This is pretty weird in the music industry nowadays. When people make great music it's overly romanticised, as if they did it completely on their own. This is never the case, you've got to have some notion of what you want to make before making it. There's always something in someone's music that's borrowed or inspired.
    I'm the odd one out in that case - I never have any clue what my music's going to be until I'm doing the final mixing. I just screw around until something sounds good. It's all spontaneous. Yeah, there's some inspiration but it's much after I start fiddling around with things - kind of like, "Hey, I could make this kind of grungy like Nirvana!" but I never start thinking, "Well, I think I'll do some French House today."