1. Post #5521
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,066 Posts
    got bored and made this in 10. what do you guys think, y/n?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #5522
    I once watched a girl get eaten by a horse and it was bad
    December 2008
    5,443 Posts
    got bored and made this in 10. what do you guys think, y/n?
    I loved the first half, where it was all in depth and ornate, it made me feel like I was exploring a jungle on a different planet

Then the second half came it, and to be honest, it didn't really work well with the first half. It wasn't necessarily bad, but to me it just didn't really work.

Good job though, I thought it was really fuckin good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #5523
    January 2010
    995 Posts
    what do you guys think, y/n?
    y
    The wonky drums work, but there's a little too much discord in the 1st half for my liking. The arp on the 2nd half is good, but maybe needs to fill a little more space in the track because you get rid of most of the atmosphere from the 1st half

4. Post #5524
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,066 Posts
    ok i gave the first half a little bit of room and automated the second half for some more interesting effects

thanks for the help guys, and @dead madman, this probably isnt what itll sound like. ill draw out both sections, i start tracks very strangely i guess

5. Post #5525
    looking rad, feeling sad
    April 2011
    4,185 Posts
    I posted this in the hip hop beats thread, figured I might as well share here too. Hip hop beat flipping a well-known funk sample. Let me know your thoughts.

http://soundcloud.com/attackyourself...e-beat/s-znuVl
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #5526
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    is cubase 6 as amazing as they say it is???
    i'm stuck on Cubase 5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #5527
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #5528
    [b][highlight][size=+10]STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T[/size][/highlight][/b]
    January 2009
    1,991 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #5529
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,022 Posts
    Can't wait to hear the finished version, I really like this!

Just a 1 hour doodle, got inspired I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Israel Show Events

10. Post #5530
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,692 Posts
    I got bored and started assigning all the parameters to my midi keyboard

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

11. Post #5531
    November 2007
    7,066 Posts
    even tho ur banned (rip never forget) i really like the second one. drums could be a little more prominent over the synthwork though. not too sure about the first

Edited:

ok i did some more stuff to the track but something seems off, let me know what you guys think

12. Post #5532
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,700 Posts
    even tho ur banned (rip never forget) i really like the second one. drums could be a little more prominent over the synthwork though. not too sure about the first

Edited:

ok i did some more stuff to the track but something seems off, let me know what you guys think
    Dude this is awesome. The transition is really clumsy but I like the way the sections contrast eachother. The calming section by itself sounds really nice for sure

I made a new beat:

Been listening to J Dillas Ruff Draft a lot, so it's really raw kinda. I dunno if it is any good really, would love some crits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

13. Post #5533
    January 2012
    480 Posts
    Goddamnit croix, your songs are so damn good, makes me feel inadequate.
    I remade this song
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #5534
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    10,393 Posts
    You know what that reminds me of?... Nothing, and that's what I like about it. Well it's sort of reminiscent of Panoram, who's pretty unknown but honestly one of my favourite artists ever. If this is a style you want to focus on on expand in some way, I really recommend checking out his stuff. I dunno, it helps to listen to similar-ish music to what you produce I find to keep yourself always in the right mind. Good job though, I'm happy with the truly unique direction you're taking in your productions.

I've been focusing a bit on "side tracks" lately (no pun intended), sort of extended sketches like I would do in my earlier days because I felt my stuff was getting too formulaic in the past months. Is the whispering "just right"? I don't want it to be obvious but I don't want it to be easily overlooked.

15. Post #5535
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,700 Posts
    I'm definitely not huge on ambient but I definitely like droning sounds just as ear candy. And this is a really nice one. I dunno, I could imagine it in the background of a movie in a dreamlike scene for sure. Or as the BG music to Limbo. Pretty nice.

Edited:

I remade this song
    Listen to Soundcloud recording

http://soundcloud.com/its-a-kid/i-thought-i-was-old

Thanks! Don't feel inadequate, I feel inadequate when I hear some of your stuff too. You have a great ear for details and groove.

Speaking of groove, I love the way your drums feel on this track. They really work together with the sample.

I like the way you play with dissonance too. It gives the track a nice, sorta eerie feel.

My only complaints are that your drums are kind of too muddy, even though I get what you're going for. And the part after 0:45 when that arp thing starts playing constantly is a little too long, it kinda starts to get like over repetitive. It would be cool if it was sorta more subtle, maybe turn it down and put lots of reverb and delay on it and some lfoed filter or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #5536
    September 2010
    75 Posts

I'm not really sure how to approach rhythm, is there any good resources for learning or it is just something you just have get a feel for?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Spain Show Events

17. Post #5537
    Antichristian Heathen Icelandic Bastard
    June 2008
    5,650 Posts
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1740292/Progyeah.mp3

Currently working on this. I need to record the left guitar again because I think it's not quite in time. This is just the rhythm. The lead will go on when I have the whole song down.

Is there anything I could do with the drums?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Iceland Show Events

18. Post #5538
    April 2010
    7,448 Posts
    You know what that reminds me of?... Nothing, and that's what I like about it. Well it's sort of reminiscent of Panoram, who's pretty unknown but honestly one of my favourite artists ever. If this is a style you want to focus on on expand in some way, I really recommend checking out his stuff. I dunno, it helps to listen to similar-ish music to what you produce I find to keep yourself always in the right mind. Good job though, I'm happy with the truly unique direction you're taking in your productions.

I've been focusing a bit on "side tracks" lately (no pun intended), sort of extended sketches like I would do in my earlier days because I felt my stuff was getting too formulaic in the past months. Is the whispering "just right"? I don't want it to be obvious but I don't want it to be easily overlooked.

What DAW do you use? This is like the stuff I am currently working on! I may want to collab in the future.

19. Post #5539
    November 2007
    7,066 Posts

like croix, im not big on ambient on it's own but this was pretty cool. i can imagine it would create an incredible atmosphere as background music in a sci-fi game or some shit

i like it alot. nice job bro, maybe a tad uninteresting after 4 minutes though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #5540
    August 2012
    309 Posts
    I don't know where I'm going with this...

21. Post #5541
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    its been a little over a month since i posted my first attempt at a song here's what i made this week (still wip)

http://soundcloud.com/kopirat/santo-wip-2/s-rA00p

and heres what i started messing with tonight

http://soundcloud.com/kopirat/longing/s-XxIGr

22. Post #5542
    I once watched a girl get eaten by a horse and it was bad
    December 2008
    5,443 Posts

23. Post #5543
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,453 Posts
    Piano sounds "cheap" to me. Also the bass sounds physically modelled, I think it would be better if it wasn't. Bit repetitive aswell. (Sorry if this feedback sucked, I'm not very good at giving constructive criticism)

Anyway, something I've been working on for a bit since I can't seem to open my "Memories" project (Fucking invalid data bullshit) C&C?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

24. Post #5544
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s0JIKbjpn0U9

Where to go from here? Movie samples or just leave as is?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

25. Post #5545
    Do not (c)lick
    Dennab
    March 2012
    1,461 Posts

first EVER attempt at anything in fruity loops, literally the first ever time I opened it. how is this and how can I improve it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #5546
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    Piano sounds "cheap" to me. Also the bass sounds physically modelled, I think it would be better if it wasn't. Bit repetitive aswell. (Sorry if this feedback sucked, I'm not very good at giving constructive criticism)

Anyway, something I've been working on for a bit since I can't seem to open my "Memories" project (Fucking invalid data bullshit) C&C?

That progression is bitchin'.

Edited:

I remade this song
    This is awesome! I really like your style and it's beginning to come trough more and more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #5547
    January 2012
    480 Posts

I really like the melody in this, and your synths sound really well produced

28. Post #5548
    November 2009
    1,449 Posts
    I dropped this a little while go, let me know what you guys think.

Put my Neptunes hat on for this one

29. Post #5549
    November 2007
    7,066 Posts
    I dropped this a little while go, let me know what you guys think.

Put my Neptunes hat on for this one
    i really like the sample, could use some harder drums though and a little more equing. everything sounds like its limiting like crazy and is ultra-compressed

30. Post #5550
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    2,902 Posts
    For the end of my album:

I'm probably going to drag out the distortion a lot longer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

31. Post #5551
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,453 Posts
    For the end of my album:

http://soundcloud.com/wauterboi/diss...as-of-10-27-12

I'm really going the enjoy this album. Not a fan of that distortion though(reminds me of if SebastiAn did ballads) takes away from the peacefulness. Sounds really nice mate. Maybe add some pads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #5552
    January 2009
    1,226 Posts
    Just trying out some new atmospheric synths I've been working on.

For the end of my album:

Nice work, I really like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

33. Post #5553
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,592 Posts
    For the end of my album:

http://soundcloud.com/wauterboi/diss...as-of-10-27-12

Distortion just sounds bad as is

Imo, if you want the effect of destroying the song (which seems to be what you're going for), don't distort the piano, instead use a different source like white noise or something else distorted that gradually drowns out the piano. Much more elegant.

Edited:

anyway found this shit as I was cleaning up the mac so uploaded

Bunch of experiments really, I think the second one was trying to figure out how slowdive and my bloody valentine got that sound, ended up with something weirder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #5554
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    12,520 Posts
    When you guys create music. Are you ever afraid that you may accidentally snuck in pieces of melody by other people into your work?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #5555
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    4,969 Posts
    No.

There's only so many notes/chords, that you're bound to 'copy' someone without knowing at some point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #5556
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,271 Posts
    No.

There's only so many notes/chords, that you're bound to 'copy' someone without knowing at some point.
    Pretty much this yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #5557
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    2,902 Posts
    When you guys create music. Are you ever afraid that you may accidentally snuck in pieces of melody by other people into your work?
    Depends on to what extent.

If my own work features a mildly similar melody as another piece of work and I'm making it my own, then it's fine.

38. Post #5558
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,700 Posts
    well seeing as i just sample other peoples melodies i dont think it really matters
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #5559
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    2,902 Posts
    Distortion just sounds bad as is

Imo, if you want the effect of destroying the song (which seems to be what you're going for), don't distort the piano, instead use a different source like white noise or something else distorted that gradually drowns out the piano. Much more elegant.

Edited:

anyway found this shit as I was cleaning up the mac so uploaded

Bunch of experiments really, I think the second one was trying to figure out how slowdive and my bloody valentine got that sound, ended up with something weirder
    The first one sounds like it needs some mixing not because it's clipping or anything, but because it needs some personality. Everything's dry and mono, from what it sounds like. The actual piece itself is really, really good.

The second one sounds like it would be really awesome to cut up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #5560
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    631 Posts
    I'VE DONE IT! I've made a 16 minute long song that maxed out the extent of what Cubase LE 5 Will allow, something like 60 channels and 8 synths and I used every last one... I've officially gone FUCKING BONKERS

So STOP what you're doing right now and give it a listen please, I poured DAYS of work into this fucker and would really like some comments and criticisms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)