1. Post #561
    June 2005
    68 Posts

A song I've just started working on. Started an hour ago, I think.
    How does it sound so far?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

2. Post #562
    November 2009
    6,138 Posts
    I like the sounds you got going, the intro were slightly confusing (up until around 0:15) but listening to it a second time makes it seem natural.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

3. Post #563
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    A song I've just started working on. Started an hour ago, I think.
    How does it sound so far?
    Sounds very nice. Really dig that whole glitchy thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

4. Post #564
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts

Me and Yur|ko are working on it :buddy:

Going in the right direction?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

5. Post #565
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts

Me and Yur|ko are working on it :buddy:

This is still very very WIP.

very WIP

6. Post #566
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts
    This is still very very WIP.
    Veeeeeeery very WIP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

7. Post #567
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Only you know that, guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

8. Post #568
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Late Late x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #569
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    Autotune :smith:

The original song has autotune
    Oh sorry didn't realize that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #570
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,437 Posts
    Autotune :smith:
    The original song has autotune
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

11. Post #571
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,123 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

12. Post #572
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,437 Posts
    yes!

13. Post #573
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,010 Posts
    No chip. Just a tracker xm.
    If XM can play it then an Amiga could, no? So it's...Paula?

Man, some people fail at naming hardware.

14. Post #574
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    If XM can play it then an Amiga could, no? So it's...Paula?
    Ehh.. I use MilkyTracker which is a new cross-platform tracker. Hence, it's not meant to emulate a specific chip.
    And there are plenty of trackers on various systems which support .xm-files.

15. Post #575
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    If there is anyone good at playing the keyboard and wants to record a solo, send me a PM. I'm going to prefer a live performance with lead and rhythm although I'm planning a second keyboard solo in junction with the guitar, kind of like calling back and forth, and it'll be like the classic call back idea. I've got a direction I want it to go in.

16. Post #576
    July 2010
    178 Posts
    I have a cutesy little piano part that I want to try and do something with.
    http://soundcloud.com/diddling-het/little-piano-intro
    What do you think?

17. Post #577
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    I have a cutesy little piano part that I want to try and do something with.
    http://soundcloud.com/diddling-het/little-piano-intro
    What do you think?
    I was.. Born In the USA..! ♫

18. Post #578
    July 2010
    178 Posts
    I was.. Born In the USA..! ♫
    LOL

Yeah, nvm. I have this thing were I write something that I think is okay but in a couple of hours i realize is shit. I wrote that in about 30 seconds and now i realize why.

19. Post #579
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,724 Posts
    What's the best plugin to autotune easily? I'm using gsnap at the moment, anything better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

20. Post #580
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    What's the best plugin to autotune easily? I'm using gsnap at the moment, anything better?
    Try Antares Autotune.

21. Post #581
    July 2010
    178 Posts
    What do you guys think of this.
    http://soundcloud.com/diddling-het/odditiy

I posted a thread about it but to no avail. I tried to tell a story of a man getting lost in space with just music. I don't know if it's in progress but I have no idea where else I can get some criticism.

22. Post #582
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    What do you guys think of this.
    http://soundcloud.com/diddling-het/odditiy

I posted a thread about it but to no avail. I tried to tell a story of a man getting lost in space with just music. I don't know if it's in progress but I have no idea where else I can get some criticism.
    Comments as I listen.

Over 8 minutes?! This better not be some looped beat. Doesn't seem to be so far, seems interesting. Some nice leading of the ear. Could use some more fullness, the sound feels a bit dull for what it could be. Ok, it is holding, on that note and it isn't creating any tension really or anything, just kind of annoying. It breaks, and is a bit interesting and then goes right into another idea. I don't think that works very well because it didn't seem like a transitional phrase and you just kind of broke from it randomly which sounded weird. The part after that seems to be interesting, could use some more direction. Randomly cuts out, and the music then seems to clip in. You don't really seem to want to embellish the melody. The trumpet sounds a bit too midi'ish. Some interesting progression, I'm liking the build up at 5:00. It is keeping me interested. The higher pitched sound effect is a bit hard on the ears. I'm liking what's going on at 6:00 but I'm doubting that it is going to take me anywhere because that's what the rest of the song has been like. The ending was not very good.

Alright, I think you need some contrast and need to play around with the idea that you're taking your listener somewhere. I may be better to think of the music more as a telling of a story than a just putting a lot of parts together. It's like a movie maker shouldn't think of making movies as putting a lot of different clips together, they should think of as if they are telling a story by putting all of these clips together, and each clip should say something relevant.

Another thing to think of is cause and effect, why am I transitioning into this piece, what should the effect of doing this? What if I really build up the melody, where should I go after that? Most really good composers really think about their music and what the purpose of each part is, and if a part isn't needed or doesn't seem right it gets cut.

Musically I thought it was good assuming that you wrote out all the music. It is really lacking in the composition area.

23. Post #583
    July 2010
    178 Posts
    That's a real shame, it took me about two days to write that all out. Well, I might as well explain what i was going for. The introduction part that goes into the little delay looping was the take off. He just entered this new world we now as outer space. The song doesn't take you anywhere because the man doesn't go anywhere. Of course, you point out it loses something in doing that.

The second part is him just riding along then the buildup is a malfunction. Which ultimately leads to him getting lost. Here is the choice i had. Simulate a crash or simulate him going endlessly through the dark, lost. I chose the latter. Again, this choice might've harmed the song.

Thanks for the advice though. I knew i was taking a risk with this piece and it seems I fell pretty hard. This was one of my first times using fl studio so you'll have to excuse the shitty sounding instruments.

24. Post #584
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    That's a real shame, it took me about two days to write that all out.
    Hah, the average working time on my non-midi tunes is usually ~1 month.

Anyway, I listened to it, and I think it's sort of too ambient/sountrackish to catch my attention. But I must say it's real refreshing hearing some distinct melodies and chords and mixed instruments (I liked them, the synthetical quality to them. Had you used real orchestral samples, I would've fallen asleep after 2 minutes).
    :3:

I ask myself, why does this track need to be 8 minutes? Sure, it has different parts, but it sort of feels like the same thing over and over because the strings almost never change their role. They sit there and shift notes every bar. Like Pepin said, it gives you the impression that the song is going nowhere and never ends. It gives a very static quality. Like, unless you've heard this piece 50 times, you will have no idea where in the song you are if you would jump to a place at random. I ain't gonna haze you for that too much though, since I see that you acknowledged the risk and understands the result.

Anyway, I think you have alot of potential. Have you made anything else? Perhaps something that's under 5 minutes? Or something with a traditional structure (verses, choruses, etc). I would love to hear it.

25. Post #585
    July 2010
    178 Posts
    I actually have a piano piece that I wanted to record but I need a Midi to usb cable. I'll buy that in a couple of hours and post that here if you'd like. It didn't take me two days to write as much as it took me two days to put it on program. I had the song perfectly in my head and I don't have to work on it. My execution of that idea is what you are hearing. My piano playing is fine so I won't have trouble executing that.

26. Post #586
    June 2005
    68 Posts
    I've worked on the previously posted a little further.
    Some horrible transitions in there, I know. But I'll get to that later.
    I'm still learning Fruity Loops, so it's nothing amazing!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

27. Post #587
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts
    I actually have a piano piece that I wanted to record but I need a Midi to usb cable. I'll buy that in a couple of hours and post that here if you'd like. It didn't take me two days to write as much as it took me two days to put it on program. I had the song perfectly in my head and I don't have to work on it. My execution of that idea is what you are hearing. My piano playing is fine so I won't have trouble executing that.
    Please do post this. I want to hear it.

28. Post #588
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,010 Posts
    Ehh.. I use MilkyTracker which is a new cross-platform tracker. Hence, it's not meant to emulate a specific chip.
    And there are plenty of trackers on various systems which support .xm-files.
    I think the format implies it can, though, because it just implies standards music on the chip had to be within. Unless XM as a format was expanded somehow.

What I mean is, let's say I put something together in .spc or whatever the music data is stored on a SNES cartridge is. I think the fact that it was in that format implies everything was properly compressed and at the right bitrates and everything for a SNES to play it, even if you're using newer techniques to make the music. I was almost positive actually rendering it in that file format meant it was playable on that system.

If only I had an Amiga around to test it. Also, not trying to be pushy with this, I just always had a fascination with old hardware and the uncertainty is killing me.

Edited:

Try Antares Autotune.
    If you have FL Studio, there's also the Pitcher and Newtone betas out right now. Only $12 minimum and they're pretty decent. I've got Autotune Evo right now and I'm still planning on getting them.

29. Post #589
    November 2009
    6,138 Posts
    I've worked on the previously posted a little further.
    Some horrible transitions in there, I know. But I'll get to that later.
    I'm still learning Fruity Loops, so it's nothing amazing!

I really like the sudden change around the minute mark, the transition between that part and the third part needs to be smoother though.

I'm not too sure about the melody during the third part, it sounds like you just threw it on to create some variation to the third part.

Personally, I think this could work awesome if it's just the same part in the end as it is in the beginning, but with a smoother transition between the second and third part. :)

I've also dome some work on what I previously posted earlier ;

Changed the rhythm on the bass during the verses, and added an ending that I think can work pretty good! The end goes three times, and an idea I had were letting the bass just continue on during the fourth time it plays, and some sort of mini-solo during that time too.

The end is also supposed to have a solo during the two first 'bars', but my guitarist has hurt his fingers so he can't get a guitar on it just yet.

30. Post #590
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,091 Posts
    I would love some critics on this song:
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/103...-a-mind-puppet..

It doesn't seem to get many views or comments..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events

31. Post #591
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts
    This is how Yur|ko's song (on which I participated a bit) is standing now.
    I can't say it's equal, he made so much. :neckbeard:

Oh yeah, we'd love feedback.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #592
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I would love some critics on this song:
    http://www.facepunch.com/threads/103...-a-mind-puppet..

It doesn't seem to get many views or comments..
    Comments as I listen, I'm wonder if this is going in a direction or is just being random. Sounds interesting and has an interesting feel, but it could be far more polish and though out. At about 1:20 it built up and then was a let down. Super messy in the distorted parts, needs some cleaning up. Was kind of losing interest later because it had a feeling of sameness. Musically interesting but needs a ton of work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #593
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,123 Posts
    I don't really know what genre this is, but I think it sounds pretty cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #594
    July 2010
    178 Posts
    -shame-

35. Post #595
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,123 Posts
    The continous crashes really annoyed me, and the volume is too low. I also think you need to work a bit on varying the drum pattern. The bass notes annoy me quite a lot, but I don't know why.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

36. Post #596
    June 2005
    68 Posts

Yeah, my vocals are ugly. I'm done with this now. haha! moving on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

37. Post #597
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,091 Posts
    Comments as I listen, I'm wonder if this is going in a direction or is just being random. Sounds interesting and has an interesting feel, but it could be far more polish and though out. At about 1:20 it built up and then was a let down. Super messy in the distorted parts, needs some cleaning up. Was kind of losing interest later because it had a feeling of sameness. Musically interesting but needs a ton of work.
    Thanks for the critic, it was a WIP and I felt a lot of work was needed, I'm not going back to correct the song but I still wanted to see what people think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events

38. Post #598
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Sorry guys, I can't give you the piano piece just yet. I need to go across town to get the wire because the closest store doesn't have any in stock. Luckily, I managed to make another piece. A spaghetti western theme. http://soundcloud.com/diddling-het/marching-spring
    I tried a different approach on this one and I think I did okay. After I record the piano piece that'll be it for me for at least 1-2 weeks. My migraines are coming back and I'm pretty burnt out.
    It sounded pretty nice. But it's just 3 minutes of the same 4-bar loop. So.. yeah.. it becomes very tedious and boring. :/
    Got anything with a distinct structure?

39. Post #599
    July 2010
    178 Posts
    Okay, let's answer each criticism.
    1. It's obvious what what annoys you and what annoys me are complete opposites
    2. It's fine if you said "i don't like it" which you obviously don't but putting it down is another thing. If you don't hear the layers then idk what to say.
    Here's the thing. I didn't know if Oddity was good but I know this is good. The remarkable attention to the drums and the background proves my point. All you want is a beat.

I'm not gonna explain this song like I did Oddity because if you can't get this why would I need your criticism. And no one knows how cocky I am coming off more than I do but if you think this is the same 4 bars over and over again you have no ear.

40. Post #600
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,666 Posts

Yeah, my vocals are ugly. I'm done with this now. haha! moving on.
    That's a very nice thing you got there. I always keep imagining this with some sidescroller game's scene where you run away from this HUGE boss :buddy:

This is how Yur|ko's song (on which I participated a bit) is standing now.
    I can't say it's equal, he made so much. :neckbeard:
    Shut up, we did 50/50.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)