1. Post #161
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

2. Post #162
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Why such a long title?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #163
    July 2007
    297 Posts
    It's more a description rather than a title. Don't have a name for it, so it will have to do for now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

4. Post #164
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,749 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2897141/home-1point68941.mp3

Some chillouty tune im playing around with.
    Gotta sort out the pitch shifting on the voice, if i even decided to keep it in. Im kinda thinking it spoils it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #165
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I like the vocal on it, especially because it doesn't really seem like a vocal part. You need to do a lot more mixing on it with the EQ and levels (try using a compressor).

Edited:

Also, an update on that song I posted up there.

http://filebox.me/view/kis236nka

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,749 Posts
    I like the vocal on it, especially because it doesn't really seem like a vocal part. You need to do a lot more mixing on it with the EQ and levels (try using a compressor).

Edited:

Also, an update on that song I posted up there.

http://filebox.me/view/kis236nka
    good mastering, I always have trouble mastering because the sounds are being generated across different programs.
    Then the bass comes along and drives down everything else.

7. Post #167
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Does the bass feel like it is taking up too much frequency? I tried to put it above the kick but below the guitars which gives it a low mid sound which I thought would be good because there's a lot going on with it.

Although maybe I am bringing a bit too much attention to it with the volume. I'll have to look into it and mess around with it.

Edited:

Ah I can see it it taking up a bit much frequencies now. Had it boosted in some essential guitar frequencies. I need to double check this kind of stuff, although I think I just liked hearing the bass line a bit too much for whatever reason.

Edited:

If there aren't any major issues with this version I'll probably keep it, work on something else, fix it up a little bit after that, and call it good.

http://filebox.me/view/st7gwka26

8. Post #168
    Back in my day only cool kids had titles.
    June 2005
    5,634 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WPwKI_6Yuc

Well, first music thingy I've ever made, would really like some C&C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

9. Post #169
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I had a hard time with the beginning of it. I like the feel of the music, the news people talking fits in some places, but sounds terrible in others. It's hard to judge the music though because it is down pretty low in volume compared to the voices. What I'm guessing is that you didn't do any real or knowledgeable mixing (which is fine because you're first piece of music) and found that you couldn't hear the voices too well, so you turned them way up. Some equalization on the mix would help that out a lot, that way you could maintain an equal balance and nothing gets pushed down.

I'm really need to get some monitor speakers. I can't trust my speakers at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    882 Posts
    If anyone remembers some of my previous posts here they'll know I do solo pieces in Piano. Just made these two. The first one has a bit of dischord I'm not too fond of so I'll be looking into that to fix it up. Second one is very simple, run of the mill, stuff but I like it all the same. Still looking to fix it up (might change the tempo too). Please tell me what you think :)

Piano 15 - Spearhead: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/353011

Piano 46 - The Good Life: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/353049

Edited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WPwKI_6Yuc

Well, first music thingy I've ever made, would really like some C&C
    It's really well done in terms of ambience and general feel, however from my perspective there doesn't seem to be much of a climax. I may be slightly bias due to my liking of hard hitting drum and bass style music but, if you ask me, sound clips go with drum and bass / dubstep PERFECTLY. You've mixed those samples in nicely, maybe add some more hard hitting drums so it's more of a musical piece and less of an ambient piece.

Don't get me wrong though, I like what you've done so far :)

As a note, I'd actually say a similar thing about climax for my first submission.

11. Post #171
    Back in my day only cool kids had titles.
    June 2005
    5,634 Posts
    Thank you for the comments, I will try to improve :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

12. Post #172
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    If anyone remembers some of my previous posts here they'll know I do solo pieces in Piano. Just made these two. The first one has a bit of dischord I'm not too fond of so I'll be looking into that to fix it up. Second one is very simple, run of the mill, stuff but I like it all the same. Still looking to fix it up (might change the tempo too). Please tell me what you think :)

Piano 15 - Spearhead: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/353011

Piano 46 - The Good Life: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/353049
    First one I like, I think the opening progression is interesting, kind of throws you off at first like it doesn't fit but it fits in pretty well later. What is the progression exactly or is it constantly changing? I don't think my ears are working all the well right now, probably because of all the mixing I've been doing today, I think it is a I VI IV V with no thirds but I can't figure it out. I feel like my ears are dead.

Anyway, it sound interesting, a lot of the overlays sound good, but I think you need more leading tones because some of the chords sound random. It also starts sounding muddy probably because there is too much going on without much adjustment to make everything fit.

Second one I don't feel like I can judge because I'm overtired.

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    863 Posts
    Does the bass feel like it is taking up too much frequency? I tried to put it above the kick but below the guitars which gives it a low mid sound which I thought would be good because there's a lot going on with it.

Although maybe I am bringing a bit too much attention to it with the volume. I'll have to look into it and mess around with it.

Edited:

Ah I can see it it taking up a bit much frequencies now. Had it boosted in some essential guitar frequencies. I need to double check this kind of stuff, although I think I just liked hearing the bass line a bit too much for whatever reason.

Edited:

If there aren't any major issues with this version I'll probably keep it, work on something else, fix it up a little bit after that, and call it good.

http://filebox.me/view/st7gwka26
    From what I could hear from the lyrics, they were pretty cringe-worthy in my opinion. I personally could never write lyrics like that because I could never take it seriously. Also, the snare is a tiny bit overpowering. I could barely hear the bass, it seemed sort of lost in the mix.

Other than that, the guitar work and everything else seemed to be pretty good. The progression around 2:40 (I think) was interesting, as well.

14. Post #174
    August 2009
    1,533 Posts
    I'd like to get into recording as soon as I buy a new acoustic guitar thing is I don't understand anything about it. Phantom power, condenser mics, dynamic mics, line ins.

Can someone tell me what do I need for basic but good recording of vocals and the guitar? I'll be using my computer for any editing. I'm also on a low budget, I just need to know what is the absolutely required hardware and then I could look up reviews or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,749 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2897141/home-1point68941.mp3

Had another go at messing with the chillout tune im workin on.
    Still lookin for a better vocal track to work with.

16. Post #176
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I'd like to get into recording as soon as I buy a new acoustic guitar thing is I don't understand anything about it. Phantom power, condenser mics, dynamic mics, line ins.

Can someone tell me what do I need for basic but good recording of vocals and the guitar? I'll be using my computer for any editing. I'm also on a low budget, I just need to know what is the absolutely required hardware and then I could look up reviews or something.
    You could get a cheap radioshack mic which would be about 20 dollars and then get a 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm convertor. Plug that into your mic port. That's what I did for a while. Actually what I did before that was use the headphonse out port on my amp hooked up to some headphones, and I had one of my headsets placed in the headphone to record the sound.

But anyway, that should work and only be about 25 dollars. Don't expect great quality recordings. If you want a recommendation on a DAW, I'd suggest mixcraft for you since you are just starting out and mixcraft is really easy to use, and plus it is cheap and comes with a bunch of VSTi instruments some drums.

You're going to come to the point where you are going to want to upgrade eventually, and before that you should be looking up all the differences between mics and monitors and stuff, but as far as starting out you don't really need a mid ranged set up to get decent home studio quality.

17. Post #177
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I killed the thread. Anyway, here is an idea I've been working out. I intended on making something funky, but somehow gravitated towards this. Bass will probably sound a bit off in some parts (just getting an idea of it's sound and settings) and there will be a lack of mids (leaving room for vocals).

Of course I forget to post the link. Here it is, I did a bit more work on it.

http://filebox.me/view/cftzsyn2n

18. Post #178
    April 2009
    96 Posts
    These are two of my first compositions, both instrumental, and both were made using Sibelius 6.

Rushing Thoughts, a Piano Rock type song.

My Piano Concerto in D Major:

I would love some constructive criticism on these, thanks in advance FP.

19. Post #179
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I get the feeling that a lot of it doesn't fit. A lot of the chords seem to come unexpectedly, as in out of place. One thing I think could be a cause of this is that the there is nothing leading the ear, and where there is it is leading it to the wrong direction.

Just to provide an example, if I was going to go from a C to a F, in the bass I'd probably have it hit an E quarter note before the switch because an E is a chord tone in C major so it will harmonize nicely, and an E is also a half tone under F which will lead the ear into the F chord. I'm not at all saying you have to do this to go from a C to a F, but I am saying that when you lead the ear in the wrong direction the listener will get confused.

Also, the parts where it goes to a single piano don't sound in place.

20. Post #180
    November 2009
    6,138 Posts
    These are two of my first compositions, both instrumental, and both were made using Sibelius 6.

Rushing Thoughts, a Piano Rock type song.

My Piano Concerto in D Major:

I would love some constructive criticism on these, thanks in advance FP.
    You need to make the bass and drums stand out a bit more in the piano rock-song, the drums sound a bit hollow and non-existant, and the bass itself is really a non-factor.

I think a more melodic bass-line would work wonders and push it from a decent to great song.

I've started to work with a song that's pretty much only one riff over and over, with it being played palm muted time from time with a small break in the middle :

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

21. Post #181
    April 2009
    96 Posts
    I get the feeling that a lot of it doesn't fit. A lot of the chords seem to come unexpectedly, as in out of place. One thing I think could be a cause of this is that the there is nothing leading the ear, and where there is it is leading it to the wrong direction.

Just to provide an example, if I was going to go from a C to a F, in the bass I'd probably have it hit an E quarter note before the switch because an E is a chord tone in C major so it will harmonize nicely, and an E is also a half tone under F which will lead the ear into the F chord. I'm not at all saying you have to do this to go from a C to a F, but I am saying that when you lead the ear in the wrong direction the listener will get confused.

Sibelius does limit me to what dynamics I can achieve though. I would have brought out the bass more, but software limitations meant I couldn't. Real instruments would have worked a lot better, but a more prominent Bass line would have pushed it that bit further

Adressing the drums problem, I have very little experience notating for drums, so I was limited to what I could achieve. I'll speak to a drummer about this. I should really look it up before I go playing with it.

The chord progressions were rather basic, a bit of a lead would have worked.

Ok, so improved Bass and drums, and try and lead the ear more with my chord progressions.

Well guys thanks a million. These are some of my first so I needed the criticism, it'll help me in future.

Thanks again.

22. Post #182
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Do this, get a decent mixing program and either export the midi data or record the sounds individually, and then put them in the mixing program. As far as I'm aware, Sibelius is a composing software and is not intended to mix songs.

23. Post #183
    April 2009
    96 Posts
    Do this, get a decent mixing program and either export the midi data or record the sounds individually, and then put them in the mixing program. As far as I'm aware, Sibelius is a composing software and is not intended to mix songs.
    Ah okey dokey, sounds good. Any good software you could recommend?

24. Post #184
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Look up some popular ones that people use and use the trials.

This is planned to be a three part song with lyrics, a rap, and such.

http://filebox.me/view/gzicunp4z

25. Post #185
    Dennab
    July 2010
    1,133 Posts
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/whwhhw.mp3

What's wrong with this song and how can I fix it?

26. Post #186
    January 2009
    2,114 Posts
    Just a quick question, how do you guys feel about classical music and spanish guitar?

27. Post #187
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/whwhhw.mp3

What's wrong with this song and how can I fix it?
    I feel like there is a huge gap in the frequency spectrum. You have a melody that could be a bit more established. The melody sounds better later in the song, but then you start playing dissonant tones on the longer pauses. It would be better to do that on the passing tones. For example, if we are going from an Em to an Am, I could play a G or B on the last beat and then go to A in the next measure. This would create a good effect and would fit in with the chord tones of E minor. But it's also a lot more interesting to create some dissonance, so instead playing a G# or A# will do that. The note will harmonize badly, but will make the resolution sound really good when you move a semitone to A.

Edited:

Just a quick question, how do you guys feel about classical music and spanish guitar?
    They both sound good provided that someone good is making it. My only problem with classical is that the songs can go on for an hour.

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,123 Posts
    I started working on this one yesterday.

Edited:

I just realised I screwed up by the ending
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events

29. Post #189
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,749 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2897141/ara.mp3

Some nice stringy chillout im workin on.
    With friends taking care of the guitar and ambient synth.
    (ending isnt finalised)

30. Post #190
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2897141/ara.mp3

Some nice stringy chillout im workin on.
    With friends taking care of the guitar and ambient synth.
    (ending isnt finalised)
    Before the come in at 39 you should try to add in some tension to make it not seem as random. I'd go for a for more bars from the part from 40-1:14, it sounds interesting and I think and it led me into thinking that is was going to be there longer. 1:15 doesn't sound quite good because it looks like you just cut the instruments off right there are it feels out of place. The drums later feel like they are way too high and all in the same place as well. I think a lot of it sounds cool, but you really need to work on your transitions and direction. What could help this song out is a nice melody to chain the parts together.

Edited:

I started working on this one yesterday.

Edited:

I just realised I screwed up by the ending
    The cymbals building up to a crash doesn't make any sense. The volume swell up to the main beat sounds good. There is some dissonant chord in there that I think could sound good if you execute it better. The high hat or snare (I can't tell) seems out of place in certain parts, like the begging and somewhere else in there.

Edited:

If I could get a bit of crit on this. Beginning bass will be redone, but I want know how the middle and ending sections are. Middle will contain a rap, but I can't record it right now because the person who was supposed to be doing it has mono. If anyone is any good at rapping and wants to do it PM me. You'll need to come up with lyrics, but there is a general theme.

Ignore the clipping around 40 something, I don't know why that is there and I'll fix it once I get some sleep.

http://filebox.me/view/111nh06mw

31. Post #191
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,874 Posts
    http://soundcloud.com/gnohm/kyle

Uses Paul's Stretch on a recording of my friend playing the mandolin for the bulk of the ambience, then added some pads and a beat.

Just an experiment really, seeing what kind of textures I can get out of it.

32. Post #192
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,749 Posts

If I could get a bit of crit on this. Beginning bass will be redone, but I want know how the middle and ending sections are. Middle will contain a rap, but I can't record it right now because the person who was supposed to be doing it has mono. If anyone is any good at rapping and wants to do it PM me. You'll need to come up with lyrics, but there is a general theme.

Ignore the clipping around 40 something, I don't know why that is there and I'll fix it once I get some sleep.

http://filebox.me/view/111nh06mw
    With the bass being the main focus I'd be tempted to really focus on its mastering. I needs to sound more predominant, at the moment its kinda hidden away in the background.
    The acoustic parts seem to be going for a kinda psychodellic style so you could try experimenting with a little reverb, especially at the end (and certainly on that speaking).
    Timing on the bass needs to be practised too, if you're going to cram those notes in, its gotta be closer to perfection. Hope that helps a little.

33. Post #193
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    With the bass being the main focus I'd be tempted to really focus on its mastering. I needs to sound more predominant, at the moment its kinda hidden away in the background.
    The acoustic parts seem to be going for a kinda psychodellic style so you could try experimenting with a little reverb, especially at the end (and certainly on that speaking).
    Timing on the bass needs to be practised too, if you're going to cram those notes in, its gotta be closer to perfection. Hope that helps a little.
    Thanks for the crit. I really need to get a proper recording interface, I mean I don't have great timing, but I am very sure that the ASIO4All drivers cause quite a lot of timing issues. I think I'll record some vocals tomorrow, fit them in, eventually get the rap in, and then start doing some more mixing.

Edited:

http://soundcloud.com/gnohm/kyle

Uses Paul's Stretch on a recording of my friend playing the mandolin for the bulk of the ambience, then added some pads and a beat.

Just an experiment really, seeing what kind of textures I can get out of it.
    Feels like the drums that first come in are being played diagonally in front of me, found that interesting. I think the kick's tone feels totally out of place, much too wet. Something a bit more coarse would fit better in my opinion. Mot of it was interesting, I think there needs to be more work on the direction as in when it changes it should sound like it should have changed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #194
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,874 Posts

Feels like the drums that first come in are being played diagonally in front of me, found that interesting. I think the kick's tone feels totally out of place, much too wet. Something a bit more coarse would fit better in my opinion. Mot of it was interesting, I think there needs to be more work on the direction as in when it changes it should sound like it should have changed.
    I agree with all of that, I threw it together kind of hastily, the beat was kind of an afterthought. I could probably spend more time to make better drum sounds for it. Except the sloshy samples I used I actually thought fit pretty well, so I'll keep those there.

35. Post #195
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,450 Posts
    What do you people think of my two new short piano studies?

they are both only 19 sec incase you are lazy

36. Post #196
    November 2008
    869 Posts
    Why are you sweeping with a piano
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,450 Posts
    Why are you sweeping with a piano

Experimenting I suppose.

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,045 Posts

HELL YEAH ENTRANCE OF THE GLADIATORS
    BOSSEST FUCKING TUNE EVER
    Fucik is a P1MP

39. Post #199
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I just started working on a cover of Money tonight. Really I just made a quick demo tonight to try to get the feel of it. I know I'm going to get criticism saying that I messed up on this or that, but right now I don't care about mistakes or anything right now, I just want to get something rough down to see if I'm going in a good direction.

My motive for making the cover is to try to push my mixing skills to recreate the sound from a famous track and to make some decent backing tracks for whatever instrument. I'm a big fan of jam tracks and right now the only ones I can find on youtube for Money are midi ones. I can't claim that I did the drums, sax, or keys because I just used a midi version for that.

http://filebox.me/view/0j8h2c8t5

40. Post #200
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,719 Posts
    ^
    I don't know if those exactly are your intentions which might be the case but i think you should look into a few better synths. Especially the guitar sounds kind of ridiculous.

Anyway, here's what my brain has been shitting out since 2009. Something i've been working on for ages and the only thing i ever finished to some degree. In case you wondered, the base is from Ken Laszlo - Hey hey guy.
    I like it but it still sounds kind of shit. I don't even know. Just thought i'd throw it out here.

http://filebox.me/view/3hxnahm0h
    The new filebox is being stupid so if that doesn't work:
    http://filebox.me/view/g646vysvk

Jeez this is horrible there are hardly any good mp3 upload websites without any kind of unnecessary bullshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events