1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,705 Posts
    Do you guys know of many MMORPGs with unique spell casting systems? Nothing like WoW's or similar games, but something really different.
    Darkfall's is kind of different, with the first person magic casting.
    I think The Chronicle's of Spellborn has an interesting system with magic, but I'm a rogue so I'm not too sure.
    So, what else can you guys find?

2. Post #2
    April 2009
    2,673 Posts
    As far as i know there is no good fantasy-MMO hybrids out there except Darkfall and if you're looking for a pure MMO with something unique then you can go on as long as you want.
    There is no such thing as "unique MMO".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    2,791 Posts
    Shaiya, its a good game I used to play, www.aeriagames.com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    October 2009
    5,011 Posts
    Runescape? :P
    Only thing that comes to mind.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,987 Posts
    Runescape? :P
    Only thing that comes to mind.
    How is Runescape's magic system unique in any way?

Wizard 101.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    4,496 Posts

Wizard 101.
    because it draws from stockpiles of runes as opposed to a pool of mana or whatever?

7. Post #7
    ♩♪♫♬
    March 2009
    2,453 Posts

Wizard 101.
    It is unique..
    you're just saying that because he said Runescape aren't you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,250 Posts
    I'd say aion. It's the most different magic system I've played in any mmo. Because your spells have tier2 chains and tier3 chains of further combos. Meaning one spell can trigger a line of different chain reactions. Sort of.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,987 Posts
    because it draws from stockpiles of runes as opposed to a pool of mana or whatever?
    Spells needing reagents has been around since the creation of Dungeons and Dragons, it's not unique.

Edited:

It is unique..
    you're just saying that because he said Runescape aren't you.
    No I'm saying that because it is the most unique magic system I have encountered, even if it is designed for 8 year olds.

10. Post #10
    ♩♪♫♬
    March 2009
    2,453 Posts
    Spells needing reagents has been around since the creation of Dungeons and Dragons, it's not unique.
    Well, I suppose, but normally they use mana, or whatever you want to call it too.
    It's certainly not the most unique, no, but it is different then his example in the OP of WoW.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,250 Posts
    It's funny how whenever there is a mmo discussion, WoW is always mentioned.

In this case, you guys do realise wow was designed to be basic? It's easy to learn, basic to figure out and once you learn it it's like riding a bike. That's why so many people plays it.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,371 Posts
    Vindictus has a golem spell where you summon a giant blue spirit and as it walks around physics items attach to its body and it grows bigger and stronger. You can also buff the golem in different ways.

(Skip to 0:55)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,705 Posts
    That's pretty awesome. I can't wait for Vindictus. I just hope they de-japanesemmo-itize it (you know what I mean).

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,250 Posts
    That's pretty awesome. I can't wait for Vindictus. I just hope they de-japanesemmo-itize it (you know what I mean).
    hurr durr it has a japaneese style (anime) hurr I hope they remove it!

The only thing they are removing is the japeneese letters and the japaneese voices

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,987 Posts
    It's funny how whenever there is a mmo discussion, WoW is always mentioned.
    Because WoW is the staple MMO, perhaps?

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,705 Posts
    hurr durr it has a japaneese style (anime) hurr I hope they remove it!

The only thing they are removing is the japeneese letters and the japaneese voices
    That`s all I meant, was the text and the stupidly high pitched voices. I dont have a problem with the style, I dont really consider that too anime-ey.

17. Post #17
    October 2009
    2,053 Posts
    Tibia? For each spell you need to type in the words for that particular spell (of course you can hot key them), no other game I know of does it like that.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,705 Posts
    I vaguely remember some sidescrolling super-anime (giant heads, tiny body, like maplestory) game have a system like that.
    Keep the games coming (if there are any more), this is exactly what I'm talking about.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,142 Posts
    Wait for Nexon to fuck its balance and make it a horrible grindfest yaay!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,264 Posts
    Wait for Nexon to fuck its balance and make it a horrible grindfest yaay!
    They always fuck potentially good games up by completely unbalancing it. Their game Mabinbongi (Or whatever you call it) was pretty enjoyable until they decided to make leveling up slower for none-payers, and completely unbalanced everything.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,142 Posts
    ^fucking this, its called mabinogi. Vindictus plays in the mabinogi universe btw.

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    August 2008
    98 Posts
    You can precast spells in Allods.

23. Post #23
    December 2008
    326 Posts
    As far as i know there is no good fantasy-MMO hybrids out there except Darkfall and if you're looking for a pure MMO with something unique then you can go on as long as you want.
    There is no such thing as "unique MMO".
    There is no unique MMO is because WoW owns the market just as if there was a FPS that owned the markets there would be no unique FPS. Its just due to the fact that MMOs are still a very new thing and only been around about 10 years and started crowding around the WoW market since about 2005. Hey everyone wants to prey on the WoW market of 14 million so thats one reason why you might say:
    There is no such thing as "unique MMO"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    October 2007
    1,026 Posts
    Champions Online, all the skills are pretty nice, you don't have to stand still while using them - you have to block like an action game and you can fly while doing pretty much anything. Some also have like different firing modes e.g. one called Force Explosion, you can tap it consistently to deal aoe damage to everyone around you every tap or you can charge it up by holding down the key to knockback and deal bonus damage. You can also change your controls to an FPS type, making you aim all your spells at whatever your crosshair is on, which is also quite interesting.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,534 Posts
    Champions Online, all the skills are pretty nice, you don't have to stand still while using them - you have to block like an action game and you can fly while doing pretty much anything. Some also have like different firing modes e.g. one called Force Explosion, you can tap it consistently to deal aoe damage to everyone around you every tap or you can charge it up by holding down the key to knockback and deal bonus damage. You can also change your controls to an FPS type, making you aim all your spells at whatever your crosshair is on, which is also quite interesting.
    Seconding this, Champions Online actually lets you do some cool stuff with casting, like holding a button down to charge spells, or tapping it to quickly release smaller blasts... some spells are more like continous beams and will simply continue firing until you stop them... pretty cool shit actually.
    There is no unique MMO is because WoW owns the market just as if there was a FPS that owned the markets there would be no unique FPS. Its just due to the fact that MMOs are still a very new thing and only been around about 10 years and started crowding around the WoW market since about 2005. Hey everyone wants to prey on the WoW market of 14 million so thats one reason why you might say:
    There is no such thing as "unique MMO"
    So EVE Online isn't unique? Wurm Online isn't unique? Haven & Hearth isn't unique? Jesus christ man, know what the fuck you're talking about before you bold and underline it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    July 2009
    1,928 Posts
    Shaiya, its a good game I used to play, www.aeriagames.com
    aeria is almost as bad as nexon, so don't do this. i got to 57 hm on shaiya and quit, because there is practically nothing to do at endgame unless you're willing to spend hundreds of dollars (cash shop...)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)