1. Post #561
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    I'm not denying that, nor am I denying the possibility of a ~civil war~.

What I am denying is the possibility that it would accomplish anything, because it would be short-lived.
    The Afghanistan war has been going on for nearly a decade, and in a smaller region compared to the entire US.

Accomplish anything? One can't say unless it's done and finished.
    Short lived, on the other hand? I highly doubt it.

2. Post #562
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,484 Posts
    The Afghanistan war has been going on for nearly a decade, and in a smaller region compared to the entire US.
    ok
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #563
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    If you're not going to even respond, why bother posting that?

4. Post #564
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,083 Posts
    YES

Does that mean by 18, I can vote to legalize pot AND also have it legal for a better selection of guns in California? Awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #565
    Gold Member

February 2009
    2,339 Posts

I've posted it before, but I still get a laugh out of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #566
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    Cracks me up every time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #567
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,198 Posts
    The conservatives on the court are on the fucking warpath now that Bush and Co are out of power. Notice the massive heaping of 5-4 party line conservative rulings lately?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #568
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    The conservatives on the court are on the fucking warpath now that Bush and Co are out of power. Notice the massive heaping of 5-4 party line conservative rulings lately?
    This isn't a political debate. I don't know why it wasn't 9 straight through. It's an individual right, not for the Supreme Court to decided whether it is or not, merely if the ban was constitutional.

9. Post #569
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    I typed out 4 different paragraphs to reply to this. I find it best to just disagree with you.

I am guessing you don't live in America, because we do have our fair share of non office jobs.
    You can't disagree with statistics. :colbert:

The average American is likely to be overweight and doesn't hold a strenuous job.

Where Afghanistan has been unstable for decades, they have a lower population of elderly and live in tougher conditions.

10. Post #570
    June 2010
    3,931 Posts
    About time. This is one less debate to have to deal with in the future. But for now, let the debating continue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #571
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,365 Posts
    You can't disagree with statistics. :colbert:

The average American is likely to be overweight and doesn't hold a strenuous job.

Where Afghanistan has been unstable for decades, they have a lower population of elderly and live in tougher conditions.
    But I can disagree with a post that looks seemingly like an opinion since no statistics were stated.

12. Post #572
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,012 Posts
    The South will rise again!

"good thing we got our guns, let's show the government the real meaning of freedo- OH SHIT F-22s"
    Sup Washington

All B-52s are based in the South   

13. Post #573
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    A poor underfed uneducated opium farmer? Just as much of a stereotype as the American.
    No, but compare the conditions each person is raised in.

I'm not saying an Afghan can't hold a less physically taxing job and can't possibly be overweight or that an American can't be physically fit and can't be tough. I'm saying that when your born in a country like Afghanistan you're likely to be raised in tougher conditions than if you're born in America.

14. Post #574
    June 2010
    12 Posts
    guns suck, real men use their fists.

15. Post #575
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    Sup Washington

All B-52s are based in the South   
    Everyone is assuming that what ever bases are automatically going to side with what ever state they reside in.

You do realize that people from OUT of that state are based around those?

A state in Florida can be filled with those from Ohio. A state in California might have a few from New Jersey. They're not automatically going to side with who ever.

I'm sure some will, but I highly doubt as easy you people seem to make it.

Edited:

No, but compare the conditions each person is raised in.

I'm not saying an Afghan can't hold a less physically taxing job and can't possibly be overweight or that an American can't be physically fit and can't be tough. I'm saying that when your born in a country like Afghanistan you're likely to be raised in tougher conditions than if you're born in America.
    Americans aren't born and raised to be fat

16. Post #576
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,198 Posts
    This isn't a political debate. I don't know why it wasn't 9 straight through. It's an individual right, not for the Supreme Court to decided whether it is or not, merely if the ban was constitutional.
    The Supreme Court is just as much a Republican/Democrat squabbling ground as the Senate is. :colbert:

17. Post #577
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    But I can disagree with a post that looks seemingly like an opinion since no statistics were stated.
    Well, it's pretty common knowledge that most Americans are overweight and when you here about American jobs you don't really here about subsistence farming do you?

http://obesity1.tempdomainname.com/s...esity_US.shtml

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

18. Post #578
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    The Supreme Court is just as much a Republican/Democrat squabbling ground as the Senate is. :colbert:
    Doesn't make it right. Why does everything have to be so fucking political? It's an individual right, as put in the Bill of Rights. I just don't understand why there's even a need for a supreme court ruling such as this.

19. Post #579
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,753 Posts
    ITT: A bunch of idiots thinking giving everyone guns will keep criminality down.
    Here in Sweden, we have very restrictive gun laws. The only guns allowed are hunting rifles, and that's only with a license. In the US, practically everyone have a gun at home.
    Well guess what, the murder rate and robbery rate per capita for the US is 4 times higher than for Sweden.
    Guns for everyone does not work, it only makes things worse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Turkey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #580
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    ITT: A bunch of idiots thinking giving everyone guns will keep criminality down.
    Here in Sweden, we have very restrictive gun laws. The only guns allowed are hunting rifles, and that's only with a license. In the US, practically everyone have a gun at home.
    Well guess what, the murder rate and robbery rate per capita for the US is 4 times higher than for Sweden.
    For one, this isn't Sweden. We have rights here. Sorry about the loss of yours. For another, not everyone has guns because of stupid bans. Those who do, in banned areas, most likely got them illegally and have no regard for any law. This is just leaving the defenseless law abiding citizens with out a means to defend themselves.

21. Post #581

December 2008
    225 Posts
    But how would banning guns as sweden does help the situation as it is now? If you restrict guns now in the US, a lot of law abiding citizens will suddenly be criminals. Criminals with guns. Your system works when it has always been that way, but banning and massively restricting guns in america when there are already around 350 million guns floating around in the civilian market would be a terrible idea.

For america, you would have to outright ban guns to have any noticable effect, and likely cause a lot of unrest in the process, and prevent law abiding citizens from getting guns. And those millions of guns don't just disappear, they go of course into the criminal market, and suddenly the criminal market is bulging with guns, expensive guns due to them being illegal. It's the same reason the war on drugs is a horrible idea, you can't just ban and restrict things and they magically go away.

22. Post #582
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,753 Posts
    For one, this isn't Sweden. We have rights here.
    Are you kidding me? Last time I checked, we Swedes have MORE rights than you Americans. To assume Sweden is a fascist society just because we don't hand out guns like candy is just plain stupid. My respect for you just went to 0.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Turkey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #583
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    Are you kidding me? Last time I checked, we Swedes have MORE rights than you Americans. To assume Sweden is a fascist society just because we don't hand out guns like candy is just plain stupid. My respect for you just went to 0.
    We don't "hand out guns like candy". Sorry for not know about America. My respect for you just went to -300 from 0.

24. Post #584
    March 2010
    4,223 Posts
    Goddamn how is this topic still going

25. Post #585
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,753 Posts
    But how would banning guns as sweden does help the situation as it is now? If you restrict guns now in the US, a lot of law abiding citizens will suddenly be criminals. Criminals with guns. Your system works when it has always been that way, but banning and massively restricting guns in america when there are already around 350 million guns floating around in the civilian market would be a terrible idea.
    Yes, I realize that you can't ban guns just like that in America, as they're already spread out. But it's not helping if you keep handing out more guns. You should instead be focusing on gradually removing the guns in circulation.

26. Post #586
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    Goddamn how is this topic still going
    There's a random anti-gun guy who randomly posts. For everyone on of those posts, another 30 are given in argument.

Edited:

Yes, I realize that you can't ban guns just like that in America, as they're already spread out. But it's not helping if you keep handing out more guns. You should instead be focusing on gradually removing the guns in circulation.
    We won't give them up. They're part of our culture and history.

And besides, those who obtained them illegally won't give them up now, let alone with your crappy ideas of removing gradually.

27. Post #587
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,012 Posts
    Everyone is assuming that what ever bases are automatically going to side with what ever state they reside in.

You do realize that people from OUT of that state are based around those?

A state in Florida can be filled with those from Ohio. A state in California might have a few from New Jersey. They're not automatically going to side with who ever.

I'm sure some will, but I highly doubt as easy you people seem to make it.
    Yes, but they'll defect, and as China, the Soviet Union, Vietnam, North Korea and Yugoslavia has shown, they tend to do it with the aircraft, since it's easier defecting in a plane, then say, a tank

28. Post #588
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,198 Posts
    Doesn't make it right. Why does everything have to be so fucking political? It's an individual right, as put in the Bill of Rights. I just don't understand why there's even a need for a supreme court ruling such as this.
    The ruling doesn't even mean anything as long as "reasonable regulations" are permitted. The lower courts get to fight out the definition of "reasonable" until the end of time.

29. Post #589
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    Yes, but they'll defect, and as China, the Soviet Union, Vietnam, North Korea and Yugoslavia has shown, they tend to do it with the aircraft, since it's easier defecting in a plane, then say, a tank
    True, I suppose that would happen.

I guess we won't really know until it happens.

30. Post #590
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,753 Posts
    And besides, those who obtained them illegally won't give them up now, let alone with your crappy ideas of removing gradually.
    My crappy ideas? How about your ideas for giving out more guns, getting more guns in circulation and essentially increasing the amounts of armed murders and robberies?
    A society where every man can have a gun legally will never be a crime-less society, it won't even come close.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Turkey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #591
    July 2009
    4,689 Posts
    apples and oranges

32. Post #592
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    It works in Switzerland.

That shows how much you know about the topic, nowhere near everyone in the US owns a gun.

Does Sweden also have the same poverty and gang member statistics? Do they also have drug laws as strict as the USs?

Edited:

My crappy ideas? How about your ideas for giving out more guns, getting more guns in circulation and essentially increasing the amounts of armed murders and robberies?
    A society where every man can have a gun legally will never be a crime-less society, it won't even come close.
    Switzerland.

33. Post #593

December 2008
    225 Posts
    I never assumed sweden was a fascist country at all, I am just saying that sweden has probably always been very strict on firearms, and as such has never had a large amount of them floating around for civilians. Because there's not a lot of them, it is entirely feasible for them to be banned and restricted.

Because america has always had a free trading situation as far as guns are concerned, there are a lot of them floating around. And the only way to stop them from floating around and, in your point of view, reduce crime, would be to create a lot of criminals from citizens who legally bought guns.

I don't mean to seem rude at all, but you can't understand the american system without living in america. I don't understand the swedish and european system either, it's just that different people need different solutions.

34. Post #594
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    Guns aren't the problem, everything else is.

35. Post #595
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    I've never seen a complete crime-less society before. If you think Sweden is, you live in a dream world.

And not all Americans are "murderers and robbers". You're showing your intelligence pretty well. Or lack thereof, I should say.

36. Post #596

September 2009
    112 Posts
    According to statistics, US doesn't have the highest gun related homicides. They are outshined by Mexico, Brazil, and Estonia. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Before you all go crying "conjecture": source

If you read on, actually the US has less gun-related deaths than other countries outside the 15-24 age group.

37. Post #597
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,187 Posts
    You think that people will stop being criminals just because of the lesser availability of legal guns?

Funny man, great joke.

38. Post #598
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,753 Posts
    I've never seen a complete crime-less society before. If you think Sweden is, you live in a dream world.

And not all Americans are "murderers and robbers". You're showing your intelligence pretty well. Or lack thereof, I should say.
    I've never stated Sweden was a crime-less society, but surely every normal person's dream is to have a society with as little crime as possible.

And I haven't stated that all Americans are murderers and robbers, I've only stated that with more guns in peoples hands there are going to be more shootings. Not everyone will kill someone just because they have a gun, but there are plenty who will, in any country.

According to statistics, US doesn't have the highest gun related homicides. They are outshined by Mexico, Brazil, and Estonia. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

So they just have the 4th highest gun-related homicides. That's still pretty damn high, don't you think :V

Also, I'd like to say that I see your point about it not being possible to ban guns since they already are in circulation and part of your culture, and that other conditions are also responsible for the high robbery/murder numbers, but isn't it better to work towards a decrease of guns in circulation instead of an increase? :/

39. Post #599
    Noz
    August 2009
    822 Posts

If you read on, actually the US has less gun-related deaths than other countries outside the 15-24 age group.
    That's unsurprising.

Hmmm... I wonder where those countries get all their guns?

40. Post #600
    July 2009
    2,146 Posts
    Give me some stats on the number of murders committed by people who legally owned guns please and then I'll believe you.

Edited:

That's unsurprising.

Hmmm... I wonder where those countries get all their guns?
    By people who illegally sell them.

Hmmm, it looks like those people would be unaffected by any gun laws! Gee whiz!