View Poll Results: Should welds be stronger or stay the same?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • WELDS SHOULD BE LIKE CHUCK NORRIS

51 62.20%
  • WELDS SHOULD STAY LIKE BETTY WHITE

31 37.80%
  1. Post #1
    October 2009
    126 Posts
    I really dont know why Garry made the welds so weak in the game. For example, today i was building this awesome tank and it had over 100+ props on it, so i decided to smart weld it. Turns out even 1000+ welds on a tank will not stop it from creating a massive black hole... I mean if Garry made welds stronger, then there would be amazing creations, not just a 2 or 3 prop invention. I really think there should be a Gmod update to increase the strength of welds, besides these flimsy little baby welds that decide to spaz out and create hours of wasted time and creativity. Just please... I beg of you... MAKE THE F$%&ING WELDS STRONGER!!!! Please?

Now may i ask you the ultimate question that may alter the gigoplex atom structure and super atomic atom beam therum?

Should welds be stronger, or stay the same?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,681 Posts
    Nocolide it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

3. Post #3
    October 2009
    126 Posts
    Nocolide it?
    Smart weld no-collides automaticly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #4
    June 2010
    1,927 Posts
    I don't want my welds to roundhouse-kick me though :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,331 Posts
    I really dont know why Garry made the welds so weak in the game. For example, today i was building this awesome tank and it had over 100+ props on it, so i decided to smart weld it. Turns out even 1000+ welds on a tank will not stop it from creating a massive black hole... I mean if Garry made welds stronger, then there would be amazing creations, not just a 2 or 3 prop invention. I really think there should be a Gmod update to increase the strength of welds, besides these flimsy little baby welds that decide to spaz out and create hours of wasted time and creativity. Just please... I beg of you... MAKE THE F$%&ING WELDS STRONGER!!!! Please?

Now may i ask you the ultimate question that may alter the gigoplex atom structure and super atomic atom beam therum?

Should welds be stronger, or stay the same?
    Parent/polyweld. Welds are inherently weak, use parenting or polywelding.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.
    March 2008
    4,529 Posts
    Get Weight Tool, weld props to a base with a massive weight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #7
    August 2009
    442 Posts
    Why the noobish poll?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2009
    126 Posts
    Why the noobish poll?
    ... I dont think you're the one to say that...

Edited:

Parent/polyweld. Welds are inherently weak, use parenting or polywelding.
    If i could ask, could you explain this more, like what parenting is, and what polywelding is?

Edited:

Get Weight Tool, weld props to a base with a massive weight.
    Did it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,017 Posts
    Smart constraint.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.
    March 2008
    4,529 Posts
    Works fine for me.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,017 Posts
    He didn't 'make' them weak. He is bound to the source code like we are to physics. It is like saying "why didn't scientists make a perpetual motion machine".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    Parent props like the guy said above.

13. Post #13
    August 2009
    1,054 Posts
    I'd pick Betty White over strong welds any day of the week.

14. Post #14
    June 2010
    27 Posts
    Heres a better idea. set the strength to fucking zero. that way it will stay in place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    Heres a better idea. set the strength to fucking zero. that way it will stay in place.
    You sure do hate welds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    The Mad Scientist
    September 2008
    20,466 Posts
    Learn to use proper tools.

Easy Precision ftw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,141 Posts
    Why did you censor yourself?

Also fuck dicks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    August 2009
    442 Posts
    ... I dont think you're the one to say that...

Oh so those options you vote for aren't noobish?
    Give me a break..

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    560 Posts
    Problems of the past - TODAY!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

20. Post #20
    November 2008
    613 Posts
    Wields are fine, your brain, however - is not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Bulgaria Show Events Agree Agree x 5Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

21. Post #21

June 2010
    3 Posts
    He didn't 'make' them weak. He is bound to the source code like we are to physics. It is like saying "why didn't scientists make a perpetual motion machine".
    Actually It'd be more like saying "why did scientists make gravity so strong."

On topic: I notice the same thing. Even with a heavy base, no collide and smart weld with the breaking point on zero I still find that they may not break or 'black hole' as the OP called it but they do shift and the object gets slightly out of shape over time.
    I saw a few people mention parenting, poly-welding or Smart Constraint. First of all what's the easiest way to give a bunch of props a parent, 2nd what is poly-welding and 3rd smart constraint doesn't do much different than Smart-Weld or am I missing something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

22. Post #22
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,553 Posts
    Hey, Betty White's badass. You're a dick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    August 2009
    7,895 Posts
    I agree, the weld is weak, even on 0, i can move my thing around, and accidentally hit it against a wall, or accidentally mash the e button, and spin my oblong (rocket ship in my case) object in a million directions and smack against every wall in the known universe, so when i look back at my object, its just a spazzing ball of barf, not even slightly resembling my original object.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    March 2010
    6 Posts
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=79531

Spread the good word. This tool is simply freaking AMAZING.
    Next to easy precision, best tool EVER. And if you think welding is quick, say, compared to smart constraint, this is almost INSTANTANEOUS.
    No need to thank me, NoSwear deserves the credit. ^^

Edit:
    Almost forgot, it causes almost no lag for the constraint, and actually reduces lag since it has reduced physics. With the super mode on, it still collides with the world and players, too.

25. Post #25
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,266 Posts
    Polywelding is excellent.

26. Post #26

January 2010
    195 Posts
    i need help, i need a couple of ragdolls made from art work done by my sister. i'll make sure that the art work will be as clear as posible. if any one is intrested please e-mail at tripprules@yahoo.com.

27. Post #27

May 2012
    1 Posts
    The welds are not necessarily weak, it is more an issue with the Source engine. When a weld is applied to a physics object, the physics of the welded object are calculated after that of the first object, and this leads to a gap of a few logic ticks between the physics calculations and makes things notoriously unstable, especially when moving. Welds can't actually be made stronger, he bst way to fix this would be to rewrite the code to calculate multiple welded objects as one. SCIENCE!

(User was banned for this post ("Bumped an old thread" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Late Late x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,151 Posts
    The welds are not necessarily weak, it is more an issue with the Source engine. When a weld is applied to a physics object, the physics of the welded object are calculated after that of the first object, and this leads to a gap of a few logic ticks between the physics calculations and makes things notoriously unstable, especially when moving. Welds can't actually be made stronger, he bst way to fix this would be to rewrite the code to calculate multiple welded objects as one. SCIENCE!
    Don't worry, this thread isn't nearly 2 years old.....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)