1. Post #1
    May 2008
    389 Posts
    Last Update; 31th May 2011

[Release]
    GMod Civilizations (GMC) was originally suggested by Streptovsky (AKA Telepethi ).

Each character has a specific role in society, they work up their skills in areas such as farming, mining, lumbering, blacksmithing, etc...

These characters are given the choice to move into another town, or try to create their own. GMC has a wide range of choices and different gameplay options for the player, including 6 skills (so far, many more are planned...). The gameplay is completely player based, they build the towns and cities, create trade routes with one and other, or ravage each other's land in wars and raids.

[h2]Features[/h2]
    - Building system, build up your very own towns and cities, in first person
    - Skills; Mining, Lumbering, Farming, Carpentry, Mason (Cooking - skill isn't created, but basics are included)
    - Warfare; bows, crossbows and swords.

[h2]Screenshots and building previews[/h2]
    Quoted for use of img_thumbs posted:
    Login menu, main menu, etc (Ignore the pick and black texture on the 'Classes' menu, it's the 'Cook' job, and I don't have the graphic for it just yet.)

Trade system (new, and not finished - vgui also needs adjusted)

Backpack

Building Blueprint

Building Positioning (shows as built for better positioning)

Building a building

Built Smithy's Workshop

Smithy's Workshop, Craftsman's Workshop, Farm

Blacksmith, Furnace menu

Blacksmith, Anvil menu

Craftsman, Workbench menu

Farming, seeds

Farming, planting seeds

Farming, plants growing

Farming, harvesting plants

Farming, orange plant flowering

Building, walls

Building, walls menu

Building, closed gate

Building, open gate

Building, gate menu

Cooking, stove

Cooking, frying pan

Cooking, egg

Cooking

Cooking, fried egg
    [h2]Server[/h2]
    89.238.160.43:27018

[h2]Current content pack (Goes into garrysmod/garrysmod/gamemodes, and includes the whole gamemode)[/h2]
    http://www.mediafire.com/?09r3ogzbqsapc3d

[h2]Team Members[/h2]
    Matthew ( Me ) - Team Leader, Lead Coder
    TJ062 - Graphic Design
    Joschach - Building Mapper
    Miketoast - Mapper

[h2]Team requirements[/h2]
    Mappers may be required (for making a flat map resembling flatgrass with some water).
    A Modeller would also be good.

[h2]---- Credits - So far, I'll write up any I've forgotten as I remember them...[/h2]

-- Original Idea
    --Telepethi

-- Arrow
    --Mixerman3d

-- Bow/Crossbow
    --Models - AOC Team
    --Scripts - Omen

-- Bacon/Egg
    --Models - Noobuss

-- Log
    --Model - GMStranded team

-- Medieval models ( Buildings, etc )
    --Models - Jono, Matt

-- Mine Veins, Ore models
    --Midage Team

-- Torch
    --Model - Trigz
    --Scripts - Matt
    --SWEP Construction Kit - Clavus, Devenger, _Kilburn

-- Axe/Pickaxe
    --Models - VALVe
    --Scripts - Matt

-- Shovel
    --Model - SMod team
    --Script - Matt
    --Sound - Robinhood76 ( http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=79560 )

-- Sword
    --Model - PLing and MagNet
    --Script - Matt

-- Hammer
    --Model - Zombie Panic: Source team
    --Script - Matt

-- Mushroom
    --Model - Unknown

-- Anvil/Bar
    --Model - Nayrbarr
    --Scripts - Matt

-- Date system
    --Script - Matt, Chralex112 and Drakehawke - www.chralex.net

-- Weather mod
    --Script - Rick Dark, Fisheater, Chralex112, Matt

-- Level up
    --System - Matt
    --Effect - Maw
    --Sound - Primordiality ( http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=78822 )

-- Ambient sounds
    --Original artists - vixuxx, Johnc, Dalibor, reinsamba
    --Original locations - http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=9874, http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=20684, http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=34180, http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=14853
    [/Release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Lua King x 9Winner x 3Dumb x 2Funny x 1Informative x 1Lua Helper x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    539 Posts
    -snip-
    Edit:
    I didn't mean morph our gamemodes by the way, and that was quite obvious.

3. Post #3
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    Dennab
    June 2005
    6,789 Posts
    I know the leader well enough when I say no, and that I personally am offended by the offer.

Gmod Civilizations has been my brain-child for over 2-3 years now. I've been working on the information, rewriting it, cultivating it, etc.

4. Post #4
    May 2008
    389 Posts
    Yeah, although our gamemodes are very much alike, they have been created in very different ways, so I'll have to say no. Sorry.

5. Post #5
    September 2009
    1,170 Posts
    Would be cool if the buildings took some time to build and to speed them up several poeple build that building. E.g. Each wall segment could take 5-10 minutes with one person building it. This would make poeple have to work together and organise stuff to get everything built as fast as possible.
    Tomorrow i'll write a short but detailed paragraph of a few suggestions i have. Been waiting for a gamemode like this for ages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #6
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    Dennab
    June 2005
    6,789 Posts
    As it is, the buildings are going to take a while to make because of the materials and money required. You can build it in segments, or all at once, but by no means do they just plop down.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    539 Posts
    -sniiip.-

8. Post #8
    September 2009
    1,170 Posts
    That's good to hear, When your building other buildings other than walls, such as a house, will they rise out the ground like the walls?
    Goddamn typing took me 2 edits to get rid of typos.

9. Post #9
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    Dennab
    June 2005
    6,789 Posts
    Yeah they rise out of the ground like in Command and Conquer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    September 2009
    1,170 Posts
    I like the idea of that, nice work. Everything seems to be going well.

Another question(Hehe): Would there be roaming npcs around the map that prevent poeple from expanding until killed?

11. Post #11
    Dennab
    March 2010
    2,002 Posts
    Those buildings look pretty horrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,537 Posts
    Really glad to see you guys made a thread on this.

About those buildings, yeah, they don't look great, but they do get the job done. I'd say the worst part is how badly scaled the textures are. They look very blurry from the scale you've set them to.

13. Post #13

June 2010
    33 Posts
    Is any of the stuff working yet? ( Sorry :'( ) or do we hav't to wait before we can play this AWSOME Gamemode? Unlike The-Middle-Ages that was readdy even though it was buggy? I just wanna play! And please make non EP2 Trees? MAYBE non EP1... Copy the HL2 trees and add leaves to them. :D .Done!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    Dennab
    June 2005
    6,789 Posts
    Is any of the stuff working yet? ( Sorry :'( ) or do we hav't to wait before we can play this AWSOME Gamemode? Unlike The-Middle-Ages that was readdy even though it was buggy? I just wanna play! And please make non EP2 Trees? MAYBE non EP1... Copy the HL2 trees and add leaves to them. :D .Done!
    As far as I know (last time I tested) what's working is:

Some building construction (doesn't require resources yet)
    Cutting trees down (Not finished, right now it just dissapears and gives wood)
    Mining rocks (No ore, just rocks.)
    Moving resources
    Carts, but they're kind of buggy

That was a few weeks ago. I don't know what Mccormack has done since then

And sorry, EP2 trees are very prevalent in this. We want the forests to look alive. Not dead. Honestly though you should have EP2 by now it barely costs anything.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    539 Posts
    -hurr snip-

16. Post #16

June 2010
    33 Posts
    Telepethi..

Really? ooh... Nothen worked for me exept mining and cutting were do I download? And pushing F1, F2, F3, F4 do the same things as in sandbox...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    May 2008
    389 Posts
    We do have a community, sorry.

The buildings aren't great, I know, I said I don't map. But why not join the team and help with the buildings?

18. Post #18
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    Dennab
    June 2005
    6,789 Posts
    Telepethi..

Really? ooh... Nothen worked for me exept mining and cutting were do I download? And pushing F1, F2, F3, F4 do the same things as in sandbox...
    You don't download it, it's nowhere NEAR complete. Only testers get to download files.

As for f1, f2, f3, f4, etc. Yeah that's because there's not much gamemode code itself present yet.

19. Post #19
    March 2010
    35 Posts
    well... the skills are pretty much handled already... and yeah i will work on the models too, but matthew forgot to write it

20. Post #20
    May 2008
    389 Posts
    -- Updated 26th May 2011 - This content is old, and no longer used. --

Updated original post,

21. Post #21

June 2010
    33 Posts
    You don't download it, it's nowhere NEAR complete. Only testers get to download files.

As for f1, f2, f3, f4, etc. Yeah that's because there's not much gamemode code itself present yet.
    YEA! I'D LOVE THAT! I'll Join! Where do I sign up? I cant model or anything but I can Beta Test and building good buildings... Using Gmod of course...

22. Post #22
    May 2008
    389 Posts
    Erm... I don't think he was inviting you to test O.o

Sorry.

23. Post #23

June 2010
    33 Posts
    Erm... I don't think he was inviting you to test O.o

Sorry.
    :'( I was rally hoping to test with you matt.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,765 Posts
    If this is Garry's Mod civilizations will the main crop be Melon Farms, and starting builder is a mingebag?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,913 Posts
    Looking forward to this.

26. Post #26
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    Dennab
    June 2005
    6,789 Posts
    If this is Garry's Mod civilizations will the main crop be Melon Farms, and starting builder is a mingebag?
    No and no.

There are many different planned crops, and yes of course watermelons are among them but they're not exactly important. Not a lot you can do with watermelons.

As far as new players, they'll be unskilled peasants.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    539 Posts
    I agree that our gamemodes will be different, a lot. Looking forward to seeing yours! :)

28. Post #28

June 2010
    33 Posts
    I agree that our gamemodes will be different, a lot. Looking forward to seeing yours! :)
    Looking forward to seeing yours too!!! (:-D->-< GNOME MONKEY! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 1Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,965 Posts
    Looking forward to seeing yours too!!! (:-D->-< GNOME MONKEY! :D
    What?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    May 2008
    389 Posts
    He's obsessed with gnomes.

Apparently monkeys too...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

31. Post #31

June 2010
    33 Posts
    I was saying I agree in seeing the gamemode too. Then I put my signiture it it... (:-|)->--< GNOME MONKEY!

Edited:

He's obsessed with gnomes.

Apparently monkeys, too...
    xD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,965 Posts
    Signatures in FP are a no-go. Especially ones like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33

June 2010
    33 Posts
    Signatures in FP are a no-go. Especially ones like that.
    xD lol I still like Gnome Monkeys... GNOME MONKEY STACK!!! (:-|)->--<(:-|)->--<(:-|)->--<(:-|)->--<(:-|)->--<(:-|)->--<(:-|)->--< See they stack!

Edited:

Back to subject.. When is the testing for GMC to begin?

Edited:

And no I didn't use the Advanced Stacker Tool...

Edited:

I did it the hard way...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    11,765 Posts
    No and no.

There are many different planned crops, and yes of course watermelons are among them but they're not exactly important. Not a lot you can do with watermelons.

As far as new players, they'll be unskilled peasants.
    I want to grow a melon field while fishing for headcrabs >:D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    May 2008
    389 Posts
    -snip-
    Edit:
    I didn't mean morph our gamemodes by the way, and that was quite obvious.
    Perhaps to you.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    936 Posts
    I can help you code if you like?

37. Post #37
    May 2008
    389 Posts
    I can help you code if you like?
    I'm off on holiday later today, I'll talk to you when I get back. (25th - Sunday)

38. Post #38
    March 2010
    35 Posts
    have a good holiday mate ;D

39. Post #39
    February 2005
    78 Posts
    Looks great. I do want.

40. Post #40

January 2010
    6 Posts
    Looks like it is going to be epic... in time. I would love to help but honestly i have no idea how to do anything related to mapping(even though i made 2 blocky TF2 maps 4 years ago...)or modeling or scripting etc. I wish you guys good luck and may it be an easy,(easier)a wee bit more easy?) project that will be worth it in the long run! Until then, have as much fun doing it as you can!