1. Post #1
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,634 Posts
    Weird problem just happened. Downloaded a .rar file, opened with 7zip, said it couldn't be opened as an archive. Tried again, still nothing. Re-downloaded it, still didn't work. Installed WinRAR just to see and, surprise, that didn't work either. Downloaded a .7z a few moments later. When I tried to open it with 7zip it said it was corrupted. No luck with WinRAR either. Both were from the same source so I went to another website and downloaded a few .rar's. They were all either corrupted or "couldn't be opened as an archive". I've uninstalled 7zip and WinRAR and used CCleaner to clear out the temp files and registry and it still has not helped. This just started happening within the hour.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,059 Posts
    try making a zip file through windows then open it up with a program see if that is also corrupt.

3. Post #3
    February 2005
    16,634 Posts
    Nothing wrong there.

4. Post #4
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,276 Posts
    Try making your own and extracting it, in case you were unlucky. Other than that, it sounds like you're missing software that is used by both programs during the extraction process. I had the same problem when parts of my OS were missing.

5. Post #5
    February 2005
    16,634 Posts
    Ew. That isn't good then. Was it the same situation, with archives not opening? How did you fix it?

6. Post #6
    February 2010
    5,893 Posts
    Is your drive heavily fragmented?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    618 Posts
    OP, if the archives aren't dodgy can you link them here, maybe we can test them and see if they are actually corrupted or not.

8. Post #8
    February 2005
    16,634 Posts
    Is your drive heavily fragmented?
    Nope.

I just noticed something fishy. All the files that I couldn't open stopped downloading at 39.9mb. All of them. They're suppose to be larger than that. So...new problem! Large files are not downloading past 39.9mb. They can't opem as an archive because they're not complete.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,021 Posts
    Where are you getting the files from OP?

10. Post #10
    July 2010
    19 Posts
    How are you extracting them? Right clicking them and using the shell shit? Try opening them with the un-rar/un-7zipping program itself. If that doesn't work try another file. Whatever you downloaded is fucked up.

11. Post #11
    February 2005
    16,634 Posts
    Where are you getting the files from OP?
    Well, tried a few mods from Dragon Age Nexus, then Fallout Nexus, then when I noticed the file size thing I tried some WoW addons from Curse because they're smaller. All the large ones stopped at 39.9 mb.

EDIT: Just tried some files from ModDB, they all stop at 39.9mb.

DOUBLE EDIT: This seems to be a problem in Chrome. IE downloads files fine.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    384 Posts
    http://www.7-zip.org posted:
    Why can't 7-Zip open some ZIP archives?

In 99% of these cases it means that the archive contains incorrect headers. Other ZIP programs can open some archives with incorrect headers, since these programs just ignore errors.

If you have such archive, please don't call the 7-Zip developers about it. Instead try to find the program that was used to create the archive and inform the developers of that program that their software is not ZIP-compatible.

There are also some ZIP archives that were encoded with methods unsupported by 7-Zip, for example, WAVPack (WinZip).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    February 2005
    16,634 Posts
    *some quote*
    Congratulations, you didn't read the thread.

Anyway, I solved the problem. Something was fucked up with Chrome so I uninstalled it and went back to the release version and it works fine now. That's a really bizarre problem tho.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    384 Posts
    Just because I didn't read 1 edit line at the bottom of the thread doesn't mean I haven't read your thread.

Don't bash me when I'm only trying to help.

15. Post #15
    February 2005
    16,634 Posts
    Just because I didn't read 1 edit line at the bottom of the thread doesn't mean I haven't read your thread.

Don't bash me when I'm only trying to help.
    Well, you missed the most crucial thing of the thread, which was that the whole problem had nothing to do with 7zip or any of the archives.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,851 Posts
    Once FireFox had issues downloading files for me on some sites so I used IE for them. but after awhile it stopped.

17. Post #17
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,276 Posts
    Ew. That isn't good then. Was it the same situation, with archives not opening? How did you fix it?
    Yep. Same problem. I formatted, because I had a pile of other problems too.