1. Post #1361
    S.T.A.R.S Member and Honorary B.O.W
    May 2008
    1,683 Posts
    -Snip- Due to passive raters...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19 (list)

2. Post #1362
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    12,158 Posts
    Did anyone else here think that when Kim said: "Scott, if your life had a face I'd punch it." was a reference to Facepunch?
    absolutely not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #1363
    July 2009
    5,708 Posts
    The Katanyagi twins fight scene always gives me goosebumps

hnnnngggg

4. Post #1364
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    August 2009
    7,728 Posts
    I absolutely hated the comic book, but I tried watching the movie.

Didn't like it either. Michael Cera cannot act, and needs to stop trying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

5. Post #1365
    November 2009
    6,962 Posts
    I absolutely hated the comic book
    you have no soul
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

6. Post #1366
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    6,142 Posts
    Did anyone else here think that when Kim said: "Scott, if your life had a face I'd punch it." was a reference to Facepunch? Because if it was, then Garry and the community here has achieved real greatness.
    :what:

Stop acting like FP is this huge well known group.

7. Post #1367
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,340 Posts
    Biggest problem I had with the ending was    Stephen Stills not being gay.   

Comic book spoilers.
    Well considering there was no    Joseph    It wouldn't make much sense
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1368
    October 2008
    642 Posts
    I just read the comic, and watched the movie. Both are so good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1369
    S.T.A.R.S Member and Honorary B.O.W
    May 2008
    1,683 Posts
    :what:

Stop acting like FP is this huge well known group.
    Stop acting? What the hell are you talking about? It was one question, and a valid one too I think. The movie is chock full of references, so it's only fair that if you catch it to ask a question about it. It's not like I was definitively saying it was a reference.

Ps: Passive raters not posting have no souls....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

10. Post #1370
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    2,586 Posts
    I felt like the video game references were kind of half assed. There was some zelda music a couple of times and a bunch of 8 bit noises but that's really it. I felt like it was stylized and matched the comic, but just not as good as I was expecting. Still worth a watch.

11. Post #1371
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,084 Posts
    Stop acting? What the hell are you talking about? It was one question, and a valid one too I think. The movie is chock full of references, so it's only fair that if you catch it to ask a question about it. It's not like I was definitively saying it was a reference.

Ps: Passive raters not posting have no souls....
    you're an idiot

Edited:

I felt like the video game references were kind of half assed. There was some zelda music a couple of times and a bunch of 8 bit noises but that's really it. I felt like it was stylized and matched the comic, but just not as good as I was expecting. Still worth a watch.
    Well yeah, it was designed for hipsters, not hardcore gamers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1372
    April 2010
    571 Posts
    I loved it. It was pretty awesome. Though I still don't believe that one movie can do the comic justice. I still don't know why they didn't split into AT LEAST two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1373
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts
    I loved it. It was pretty awesome. Though I still don't believe that one movie can do the comic justice. I still don't know why they didn't split into AT LEAST two.
    If they had, then there would have been two flops, rather than one.

14. Post #1374
    April 2010
    571 Posts
    If they had, then there would have been two flops, rather than one.
    I believe it would have been better. They wouldn't have had to forcibly shove and condense the entirety of the comic into one movie. Allowing them to incorporate more characters and situations from the comic.

15. Post #1375
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts
    I believe it would have been better. They wouldn't have had to forcibly shove and condense the entirety of the comic into one movie. Allowing them to incorporate more characters and situations from the comic.
    There was too much in the comics to have all of it in a single film, I agree, but the way I see it if they'd put everything into two films, it would have felt more drawn-out. In some aspects, shortening the story was a good thing - i.e. the Katayanagi Twins fight; in the books it went on for too long and was kind of boring, but in the film, that five or six minute BotB sequence was one of the best moments of all.

Really, I think they did the film pretty well. There were references to the characters left out in the film, like Lisa (when Julie mentions her name at the party) and Gideon the Cat (on Scott's mug in the beginning), which meant that they could leave them out and have casual viewers not even really know they were there, making the film shorter, whilst simultaneously giving something for the fans to watch out for and smile knowingly to themselves when they spotted the references.

If they'd made both films simultaneously, then maybe it could have been good. But the amount of money needed to do that would be far greater than what they had at their disposal - if they'd tried it, they probably could have, but you'd be kissing a lot of the more expensive SFX goodbye. No dragons vs. the yeti in the Katayanagi sequence, or anything like that. If they'd tried making the first, then used the money they got from that to make the second, then they ran the risk of only having one part of a film released, bombing at theatres, and not having the money available to make the second one - since Scott Pilgrim isn't exactly aimed towards a mainstream audience, they probably thought that the risk was too great (and rightly so, after how badly it did in the theatres).

I think they did the right thing. I love the film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #1376
    Facepunch's Resident Game Center CX Expert
    November 2010
    10,984 Posts
    You do realize that the movie was being made during the creation of Volumes 5 & 6 right?

17. Post #1377
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,340 Posts
    There was too much in the comics to have all of it in a single film, I agree, but the way I see it if they'd put everything into two films, it would have felt more drawn-out. In some aspects, shortening the story was a good thing - i.e. the Katayanagi Twins fight; in the books it went on for too long and was kind of boring, but in the film, that five or six minute BotB sequence was one of the best moments of all.

Really, I think they did the film pretty well. There were references to the characters left out in the film, like Lisa (when Julie mentions her name at the party) and Gideon the Cat (on Scott's mug in the beginning), which meant that they could leave them out and have casual viewers not even really know they were there, making the film shorter, whilst simultaneously giving something for the fans to watch out for and smile knowingly to themselves when they spotted the references.

If they'd made both films simultaneously, then maybe it could have been good. But the amount of money needed to do that would be far greater than what they had at their disposal - if they'd tried it, they probably could have, but you'd be kissing a lot of the more expensive SFX goodbye. No dragons vs. the yeti in the Katayanagi sequence, or anything like that. If they'd tried making the first, then used the money they got from that to make the second, then they ran the risk of only having one part of a film released, bombing at theatres, and not having the money available to make the second one - since Scott Pilgrim isn't exactly aimed towards a mainstream audience, they probably thought that the risk was too great (and rightly so, after how badly it did in the theatres).

I agree with the Katayanagi Twins, but I really wish the Gideon Battle was more like the one in the comics. They at least could have had more people at the Chaos Theatre, but whatever.

18. Post #1378
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    August 2009
    7,728 Posts
    you have no soul
    No, I just don't like comics with terrible artwork and Marty Stu protagonists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

19. Post #1379
    April 2010
    571 Posts

Yeah, I see what you mean now. Eh, I guess I'm just a fanboy who wants a movie exactly like the comic. I know that's not possible but I can still dream.

20. Post #1380
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts
    I saw the film before I read the comic books... :ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #1381
    November 2010
    10,984 Posts
    I don't see how it's a mary sue when it's using the real world as it's main location.

22. Post #1382
    Midna is hot stuff~
    October 2007
    2,666 Posts
    I saw the film before I read the comic books... :ohdear:
    Same here, but it was actually the movie that pushed my interest towards the comics, so I have the film to thank for that.

I thoroughly enjoyed both the movie and the comics. I thought I wouldn't, considering that I don't really care for Michael Cera, but I think he did a pretty good job of portraying Scott.

My only issue is that I don't remember Stephen Stills being so whiny in the comics as he was in the movies. He seemed to panic in the film... a lot. :raise:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #1383
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts
    Perhaps they were trying to imply that Stephen was in fact secretly gay, since they couldn't fit the character of Joseph into the film, by over-exaggerating the more girly aspects of the character. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Edgar Wright had told him that Stephen was secretly gay, and to try to work that into his performance.

24. Post #1384
    Midna is hot stuff~
    October 2007
    2,666 Posts
    Perhaps they were trying to imply that Stephen was in fact secretly gay, since they couldn't fit the character of Joseph into the film, by over-exaggerating the more girly aspects of the character. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Edgar Wright had told him that Stephen was secretly gay, and to try to work that into his performance.
    Ya' know, I hadn't actually thought of that. If that's the case, then I suppose that's pretty clever right there.

25. Post #1385
    November 2010
    10,984 Posts
    Found this on Twitter
    Look in the Upper Right hand corner
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

26. Post #1386
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    8,946 Posts
    Except the part where Scott is shown to be a piece of shit slacker that will often alienate his friends for shitty reasons.

Edited:

As for the art, I guess that's more or less opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1387
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    482 Posts
    This movie was charming. And Ramona reminded me a lot of my first girlfriend from her facial features.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

28. Post #1388
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,803 Posts
    I want Vegan COPS as a spinoff show.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

29. Post #1389
    September 2009
    4,638 Posts
    Just finished reading the comics. I have no words to describe it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Israel Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

30. Post #1390
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    5,589 Posts
    I liked it.

Deal with it.

31. Post #1391
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    867 Posts
    I thought Scott was a two-faced jerk to his friends and girlfriends who could never take responsiblility for his own mistakes or faults and lied constantly. He ran away from his problems and tried to forget them so often that they actually manifested themselves as a demonic version of him. That was sort of the whole point of the Negascott subplot in the comics. The whole thing is essentially a story about growing up and taking responsibility for yourself as an adult.

32. Post #1392
    I bought something online that's only aesthetic
    May 2006
    509 Posts
    [url=http://www.filedump.net/index.php?pic=img06771296413975.JPG][img]http://www.filedump.net/dumped/img06771296413975.JPG[/img][/url]
    My cool new poster, Yes/No?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1393
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,386 Posts
    Would like one in color.

34. Post #1394
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,340 Posts
    [url=http://www.filedump.net/index.php?pic=img06771296413975.JPG][img_thumb]http://www.filedump.net/dumped/img06771296413975.JPG[/img_thumb][/url]
    My cool new poster, Yes/No?
    Must Have, Where Get?

Also:

Badass fucking Japanese Scott Pilgrim cover:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

35. Post #1395
    I like the zip of Miracle Whip
    January 2010
    4,144 Posts
    The movie was definitely one of my favorites, and it was actually a rare instance in which I thought the movie was better than the books. I was able to visualize the fight scenes and retro video game effects a bit more easily in film form.

36. Post #1396
    Midna is hot stuff~
    October 2007
    2,666 Posts
    Interesting note (that I totally forgot to mention) is that when I had Pascall draw my Derp Dergon avatar, that I had it based on Nega-Scott.

37. Post #1397
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    151 Posts
    Here is a colored comic-style poster from my poster sauce. Selection isn't too good there for SP though, it's either this or the movie poster... =/

38. Post #1398
    I bought something online that's only aesthetic
    May 2006
    509 Posts
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Love-Art-No...&_ipg=&_sasi=1

Here is where I got mine from and its a lot cheaper then that linked one. Does not seem to have the poster I bought on there though but has some new sexy ones I might get also.

Wait no I lied, here is where I got mine from.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Art-Print-P...&_ipg=&_sasi=1

I need this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPONGE-BOB-IMA...ht_7166wt_1195
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #1399
    Midna is hot stuff~
    October 2007
    2,666 Posts
    Those are awesome. I'd totally get one if I had the money.

40. Post #1400
    January 2008
    713 Posts
    Bought the first book (Precious Little Life) It's so awesome to read the books, and seeing that the film resembles the books really good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)