1. Post #1
    Tuba Player Extraordinaire
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    The Augen GenTouch

In the past few months, the Asian market has been flooded with many Android powered slate and tablet computers. Well, it looks like America is finally getting a piece of the action with the Augen GenTouch. The Augen GenTouch is a $150 Android powered tablet that is set to be released in America, and yes, you will be able to buy it in local retail stores! It is rumored that it will launch later this week and be available in stores at Kmart.

Features
    Watch movies in HD (720p).
    Access to the Android Marketplace (Fuck yes!).

Specifications
    Code:
     800x480 color TFT touch panel screen
     CPU: 800 Mhz
     Ram: DDR2 256mb
     Internal Memory: 2GB
     Expansion Slots: SD/MMC card slot up to 16GB
     Wi-Fi Connectivity with Full Web Browsing Capability
     Supports Ebook Formats: Text, PDF, E-PUB, HTML
     Supports Media Formats: MP3, WMA, FLAC, AAC
     Supports most popular E-Book formats
     Picture Viewer in JPEG, BMP
     Video Player
     Rechargeable Lithium Battery
     Carrying case included
    So yeah, keep an eye out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!
    June 2009
    2,907 Posts
    I don't have a Kmart near me
    Guess I will have to order it

3. Post #3
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    I don't have a Kmart near me
    Guess I will have to order it
    If I recall, Augen has made a comment that they don't believe it'll be hitting Kmart's web store. But that could change rather quickly.

4. Post #4
    April 2008
    1,108 Posts
    All of the K-Marts near me are really ghetto. I won't even go in them, and I'm sure they would be stolen and sold by the bums on the curb in front of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2008
    912 Posts
    Please run froyo.

6. Post #6
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Please run froyo.
    If this tablet really does get released for $150, in local retail stores at that, chances are it'll get rooted pretty quick. It's launching with 2.1 as well. So you never know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,671 Posts
    Kmart? I didn't know they where still in business.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    1 Dollar
    June 2005
    1,902 Posts
    Yea they are a pretty low end chain, but damn for $150 the specs ain't half bad, should be pretty good for just some light internet browsing. Been wanting to get a small tablet for college anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    I could just imagine using it for when I'm relaxing on my bed or couch and don't want a laptop on me, to just bust this out and go on facebook or watch a video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    M_B
    Also a fellow SHART fangirl
    September 2005
    18,016 Posts
    All of the K-Marts near me are really ghetto. I won't even go in them, and I'm sure they would be stolen and sold by the bums on the curb in front of it.
    pussy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,187 Posts
    Chances are it'll run really slow and be laggy out of the box and have shitty battery life.

Froyo however....

12. Post #12
    thf
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    3,331 Posts
    Watch movies in HD (720p).

Code:
     800x480 color TFT touch panel screen
    what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,352 Posts
    yeah I was wondering that too

14. Post #14
    September 2009
    9,817 Posts
    Video-out

I hope so

15. Post #15
    thf
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    3,331 Posts
    Yeah, else it would be pretty unnecessary.

16. Post #16
    1 Dollar
    June 2005
    1,902 Posts
    Well you can run 1080p video on a 640x 480 tv, but it won't truly be hd.
    Hopefully it will have video out, but at this price so many things can be half assed with it like battery life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    M_B
    September 2005
    18,016 Posts
    quite a few android devices already have "watch in 720p lol" without video out, they just happen to be capable of playing 720p video files. that's it.

Edited:

also i would be surprised if this thing didn't have the performance of an entry level 2.1 phone. really this thing looks like nothing worth raving about.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    quite a few android devices already have "watch in 720p lol" without video out, they just happen to be capable of playing 720p video files. that's it.

Edited:

also i would be surprised if this thing didn't have the performance of an entry level 2.1 phone. really this thing looks like nothing worth raving about.
    CPU: 800 Mhz
    Looks that way to me. A phone with a big touch screen.

19. Post #19
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    Well at that price what kind of performance are you expecting? The price is a fair price for those specs, honestly.

And this is supposed to be one of the first Android tablets with access to the market.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,527 Posts
    Looks that way to me. A phone with a big touch screen.
    A phone with a big touch screen won't compare to your avatar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,241 Posts
    im guessing there is an accelerometer on board, and portrait mode for the desktop right?

22. Post #22
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    im guessing there is an accelerometer on board, and portrait mode for the desktop right?
    There is no accelerometer. It is only $150. Haha

23. Post #23
    July 2010
    478 Posts

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    The specs aren't too bad just the type of touch screen puts me off and the lack of multi-touch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Guernsey Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    February 2010
    829 Posts
    If you have one of the new android phones,

...this seems somewhat useless....

If you don't have a new android phone, its OK, but you can only use internet where theres wi-fi (no 3g) and it has a resistive touch screen

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,241 Posts
    I have the Evo 4G so this is no comparison. I love my Evo 4G for the record!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    May 2010
    916 Posts
    Even though this is an alright attempt, I can't wait for the other tablets to soon follow. Anything but Apple's iPad would be good, whether it be Windows 7, Windows Phone 7, or Android.

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    October 2007
    2,399 Posts
    I'm sure as hell getting one if I can, any ideas on how I can get one from England?

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    -Snip--Wrong thread-

30. Post #30
    Dennab
    October 2007
    2,399 Posts
    Wat?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,130 Posts
    Even though this is an alright attempt, I can't wait for the other tablets to soon follow. Anything but Apple's iPad would be good, whether it be Windows 7, Windows Phone 7, or Android.
    Isn't Windows Phone 7 just as bad as iOS?

32. Post #32
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    I'm sure as hell getting one if I can, any ideas on how I can get one from England?
    Ebay is your best chance.

33. Post #33
    July 2007
    4,954 Posts
    well it IS 150

34. Post #34
    July 2007
    4,954 Posts

35. Post #35
    January 2006
    3,592 Posts
    1.6 and a 600mhz processor.

36. Post #36
    M_B
    September 2005
    18,016 Posts
    The specs aren't too bad just the type of touch screen puts me off and the lack of multi-touch
    the specs aren't bad but they're hardly great

anyway the general consensus is "you get what you pay for". while something miles better might be $200, like a Galaxy S phone, Evo 4G, Incredible, or Droid X, there is still a monthly fee behind that. with this, there's no monthly fee, so you are literally just paying $150. and what you get is worth $150.

for reference, a typical android phone without the savings the carrier applies, would cost about $300 on average. so, this thing is VERY cheap, both in price and quality/performance.

Edited:

Isn't Windows Phone 7 just as bad as iOS?
    thus far most reviews/previews/whatever seem to really like Windows Phone 7, there's just a concern of it being exactly like Kin, as it seems that right now it looks like the same type of thing, not nearly as open like Windows Mobile, which is/was already miles from as open as Android and iOS.

Edited:

isn't this that piece of shit that you have that can't hardly do anything because it's a piece of shit?

37. Post #37
    March 2010
    1,737 Posts
    When will a fucking tablet come out with good pen digitIzer in it.

38. Post #38

August 2010
    3 Posts
    [QUOTE=Funcoot;23665169]The Augen GenTouch

one post here show us more uncertainty.
    Uncover the truth of Augen Gentouch 78 Android 2.1

Edited:

[QUOTE=M_B;23794593]the specs aren't bad but they're hardly great

39. Post #39
    M_B
    September 2005
    18,016 Posts
    not sure i understand the point of posting that

but thanks for confirming my statement

40. Post #40

August 2010
    1 Posts
    It`s a cool little tablet if they manage to fix everything that they promise to do in the next patch:
    http://www.augengentouch.com/updates-on-the-next-patch/

They kinda messed up the launch with the rushed product but you can`t just look past at how cheap it is and it is quite decent (if it`s working). I`d like to get one when they have fixed it up as the iPad is crazy expensive compared to Augen Gentouch considering that i`d probably use it for wifi for the 90% of its time.