1. Post #1
    No you didn't.
    February 2007
    8,034 Posts

Android is a mobile device operating system developed by Google. It was originally developed by a firm known as Android, Inc. which was acquired by Google in 2005. In May 2010, Android's first quarter US sales surpassed the iPhone platform. According to a report by the NPD group, Android achieved 28% smartphone sales in the US market, compared to iPhone's 21%.

Android is very flexible in terms of customizability.

Note: Blue text indicates that the devices have official updates to that version

More devices soon!

[list][*]Rooting and Installing Bugless Beast onto your Droid[/list]

Android applications are written in Java. You can find out more information about developing android applications by visiting the android developer site

[list][*]Mobile tuts+: Introduction to Android Development[/list]

[list][*]Augen GenTouch - $150 7" Android Tablet[*]Android Home Pics[/list]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative x 58Dumb x 6Artistic x 4Useful x 2Friendly x 2Agree x 1Bad Reading x 1Late x 1Winner x 1Disagree x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,947 Posts
    Very nice thread. i've got a Backflip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,645 Posts
    What are the colours for in the version chart?

The Dell Streak looks interesting, its a shame they don't sell a non-phone version
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Guernsey Show Events

4. Post #4
    No you didn't.
    February 2007
    8,034 Posts
    What are the colours for in the version chart?

The Dell Streak looks interesting, its a shame they don't sell a non-phone version
    Blue means the device has official updates for that version. Green means they ship with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

5. Post #5
    June 2008
    81 Posts
    Droid x. can't wait for 2.2 to come./
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member

November 2008
    11,252 Posts
    there are a few phones missing from that chart
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,017 Posts
    Android achieved 28% smartphone sales in the US market, compared to iPhone's 21%.

Android does not run on just 4 phones. If it did, it would be more like Android 4% compared to iPhone 18%
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member

November 2008
    11,252 Posts
    Android does not run on just 4 phones. If it did, it would be more like Android 4% compared to iPhone 18%
    and?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Guernsey Show Events

10. Post #10
    August 2009
    530 Posts
    I've been using android for ~6 months now, and honestly my next phone will probably also be an android phone. I love it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

11. Post #11
    February 2010
    2,202 Posts
    You should note next to the device name what regions it is available in.

I don't think the Nexus One is available in Australia
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Australia Show Events

12. Post #12
    February 2010
    829 Posts
    I love android, never gonna use iOS or Symbian again, this kicks ass

Rooted HTC Dream (G1)
    Cyanogen Mod 6.0.0 RC2
    Running on Android 2.2 (Froyo)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    No you didn't.
    February 2007
    8,034 Posts
    Added some devices, I'm going to need some help with this list. If I upload the source illustrator files can someone do a few devices?

14. Post #14
    July 2010
    478 Posts
    What would be the cheapest device with a keyboard? I'm really interested in replacing my BlackBerry Bold with one, though leaving a physical keyboard behind isn't going to happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,638 Posts
    I fucking love my Droid. It's amazing.

I just wish they had said something about the Droid X before buying it; it came out literally a day after the 30-day exchange ended.

Anyone know if they announced anything concrete about Froyo's release for the other Android phones?

Also, Ben, I THINK the Droid is the cheapest now at $100; I think its price dropped due to the Droid X.

16. Post #16
    May 2010
    1,055 Posts
    What would be the cheapest device with a keyboard? I'm really interested in replacing my BlackBerry Bold with one, though leaving a physical keyboard behind isn't going to happen.
    The original Motorola Droid has a keyboard. I think a newer Droid 2 with a keyboard might be coming soon but on the cheap the original would be best.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,820 Posts
    I thought this when leaving my Palm Pre. HTC's soft keyboard is actually easier to type on than a hard one when haptic feedback is enabled. You can just vaguely spam what you want to write and it gets it every time lols.

I have a samsung galaxy lite/portal/spica running android 2.1 with a ricer kernel. Silky smooth, 2 days of constant use on a charge and only 110 without a contract lawl.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    7,051 Posts
    Droid X!

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,738 Posts
    Got myself a Nexus One running Cyanogen 6 RC1 and it's easily the best phone I've had due to Android itself. Just waiting for android 3 to come out, the tech specs on some of the phones are incredible :D

Any good android tablets coming out? Stuff magazine says there might be a Google tablet released in August. Otherwise I'll probs get a JooJoo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Android doesn't feel like a mobile OS to me. It feels like something that you'd see on touch pads or something. It feels to cluttered for a small phone screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,645 Posts
    I am planning on getting a HTC Desire ASAP is there anything amazingly wrong with the phone or a better phone for its price

22. Post #22
    August 2009
    530 Posts
    Even though the X is out, (I don't know if the X is available yet in Europe) I'd still go for the desire.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,645 Posts
    Droid X has E-fuse, same clock on cpu, less ram, slightly larger res and near enough the same screen size.

E-Fuse will be bypassed soon tho

Oh and a better camera

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,898 Posts
    I love android, never gonna use iOS or Symbian again, this kicks ass

Rooted HTC Dream (G1)
    Cyanogen Mod 6.0.0 RC2
    Running on Android 2.2 (Froyo)
    Same phone and ROM here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    707 Posts
    Nice to see an Android thread, I just got my Samsung Captivate 3 days ago and I'm loving it! Could anyone suggest some apps to get?

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    21,858 Posts
    currently updating my Hero to 2.1 because I just haven't gotten around to it yet

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,113 Posts
    I never grew attached to the Android system. I've always preferred the iPhone OS. Maybe if I had be developing apps, I would have preferred Android. I just found a lack of applications that suited my needs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    February 2010
    829 Posts
    I never grew attached to the Android system. I've always preferred the iPhone OS. Maybe if I had be developing apps, I would have preferred Android. I just found a lack of applications that suited my needs.
    You mean games right?
    Android games aren't that good yet, lol, personally the only two I have are pacman and labyrinth

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    21,858 Posts
    I don't know, that SFCave game is pretty awesome

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    707 Posts
    You mean games right?
    Android games aren't that good yet, lol, personally the only two I have are pacman and labyrinth
    How about the emulators? I know they just released a PS1 emulator.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,514 Posts
    For the Android version list, the Dream/MyTouch can now be upgraded to 2.2 via CyanogenMod.

Also why don't we just do a giant Google Docs Spreadsheet and make it public so people can input information? Seems like it'd be easier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    18,555 Posts
    I've always liked the look of Andriod. Even though I probably wouldn't use the apps available for it much. I should really convince my Dad to upgrade his Nexus One to Froyo

I kind of wish the iDriod project was moving faster, but that is something I will happily wait for, a stable OS later is better than a buggy OS now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,499 Posts
    I'd like to pick a Milestone (Droid) on Orange, but the only contracts for 20 with internet included is just 500mb. Not sure if it's enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United Kingdom Show Events

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,738 Posts
    I'd like to pick a Milestone (Droid) on Orange, but the only contracts for 20 with internet included is just 500mb. Not sure if it's enough.
    I get just by fine with that deal.

Just found a pretty amazing looking tablet
    http://translate.google.com/translat...&sl=auto&tl=en

35. Post #35
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    for those of you waiting for the Android Froyo 2.2 update, I wouldn't expect anything soon. Remember what happened to the 2.1 update (it took almost 2 months after its expected release to actually get to a majority of devices)

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    September 2007
    727 Posts
    Droid X standing by. Any apps I should know about?

37. Post #37
    September 2009
    9,814 Posts
    Awesome thread.
    I wish I had the money to buy an Android phone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    August 2009
    530 Posts
    For the Android version list, the Dream/MyTouch can now be upgraded to 2.2 via CyanogenMod.

Also why don't we just do a giant Google Docs Spreadsheet and make it public so people can input information? Seems like it'd be easier.

I think he's only listing official updates, if not add the Eris to FroYo also

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,356 Posts
    HTC Desire will soon get Froyo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    15,085 Posts
    Still waiting for my Droid 2.2 update.....