1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    8,442 Posts

Android is a mobile device operating system developed by Google. It was originally developed by a firm known as Android, Inc. which was acquired by Google in 2005. In May 2010, Android's first quarter US sales surpassed the iPhone platform. According to a report by the NPD group, Android achieved 28% smartphone sales in the US market, compared to iPhone's 21%.

Android is very flexible in terms of customizability.

Note: Blue text indicates that the devices have official updates to that version

More devices soon!

[list][*]Rooting and Installing Bugless Beast onto your Droid[/list]

Android applications are written in Java. You can find out more information about developing android applications by visiting the android developer site

[list][*]Mobile tuts+: Introduction to Android Development[/list]

[list][*]Augen GenTouch - $150 7" Android Tablet[*]Android Home Pics[/list]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative x 58Dumb x 6Artistic x 4Useful x 2Friendly x 2Agree x 1Bad Reading x 1Late x 1Winner x 1Disagree x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,726 Posts
    Very nice thread. i've got a Backflip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    What are the colours for in the version chart?

The Dell Streak looks interesting, its a shame they don't sell a non-phone version
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Guernsey Show Events

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    8,442 Posts
    What are the colours for in the version chart?

The Dell Streak looks interesting, its a shame they don't sell a non-phone version
    Blue means the device has official updates for that version. Green means they ship with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #5
    June 2008
    81 Posts
    Droid x. can't wait for 2.2 to come./

6. Post #6
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,941 Posts
    there are a few phones missing from that chart
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,016 Posts
    Android achieved 28% smartphone sales in the US market, compared to iPhone's 21%.

Android does not run on just 4 phones. If it did, it would be more like Android 4% compared to iPhone 18%
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,941 Posts
    Android does not run on just 4 phones. If it did, it would be more like Android 4% compared to iPhone 18%
    and?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9

10. Post #10
    August 2009
    530 Posts
    I've been using android for ~6 months now, and honestly my next phone will probably also be an android phone. I love it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

11. Post #11
    February 2010
    2,202 Posts
    You should note next to the device name what regions it is available in.

I don't think the Nexus One is available in Australia :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #12
    February 2010
    829 Posts
    I love android, never gonna use iOS or Symbian again, this kicks ass

Rooted HTC Dream (G1)
    Cyanogen Mod 6.0.0 RC2
    Running on Android 2.2 (Froyo)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    8,442 Posts
    Added some devices, I'm going to need some help with this list. If I upload the source illustrator files can someone do a few devices?

14. Post #14
    July 2010
    478 Posts
    What would be the cheapest device with a keyboard? I'm really interested in replacing my BlackBerry Bold with one, though leaving a physical keyboard behind isn't going to happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,611 Posts
    I fucking love my Droid. It's amazing.

I just wish they had said something about the Droid X before buying it; it came out literally a day after the 30-day exchange ended.

Anyone know if they announced anything concrete about Froyo's release for the other Android phones?

Also, Ben, I THINK the Droid is the cheapest now at $100; I think its price dropped due to the Droid X.

16. Post #16
    May 2010
    916 Posts
    What would be the cheapest device with a keyboard? I'm really interested in replacing my BlackBerry Bold with one, though leaving a physical keyboard behind isn't going to happen.
    The original Motorola Droid has a keyboard. I think a newer Droid 2 with a keyboard might be coming soon but on the cheap the original would be best.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,821 Posts
    I thought this when leaving my Palm Pre. HTC's soft keyboard is actually easier to type on than a hard one when haptic feedback is enabled. You can just vaguely spam what you want to write and it gets it every time lols.

I have a samsung galaxy lite/portal/spica running android 2.1 with a ricer kernel. Silky smooth, 2 days of constant use on a charge and only 110 without a contract lawl.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,582 Posts
    Droid X!

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,197 Posts
    Got myself a Nexus One running Cyanogen 6 RC1 and it's easily the best phone I've had due to Android itself. Just waiting for android 3 to come out, the tech specs on some of the phones are incredible :D

Any good android tablets coming out? Stuff magazine says there might be a Google tablet released in August. Otherwise I'll probs get a JooJoo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,054 Posts
    Android doesn't feel like a mobile OS to me. It feels like something that you'd see on touch pads or something. It feels to cluttered for a small phone screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    I am planning on getting a HTC Desire ASAP is there anything amazingly wrong with the phone or a better phone for its price

22. Post #22
    August 2009
    530 Posts
    Even though the X is out, (I don't know if the X is available yet in Europe) I'd still go for the desire.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    Droid X has E-fuse, same clock on cpu, less ram, slightly larger res and near enough the same screen size.

E-Fuse will be bypassed soon tho

Oh and a better camera

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I love android, never gonna use iOS or Symbian again, this kicks ass

Rooted HTC Dream (G1)
    Cyanogen Mod 6.0.0 RC2
    Running on Android 2.2 (Froyo)
    Same phone and ROM here. :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    708 Posts
    Nice to see an Android thread, I just got my Samsung Captivate 3 days ago and I'm loving it! Could anyone suggest some apps to get?

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    currently updating my Hero to 2.1 because I just haven't gotten around to it yet

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,126 Posts
    I never grew attached to the Android system. I've always preferred the iPhone OS. Maybe if I had be developing apps, I would have preferred Android. I just found a lack of applications that suited my needs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    February 2010
    829 Posts
    I never grew attached to the Android system. I've always preferred the iPhone OS. Maybe if I had be developing apps, I would have preferred Android. I just found a lack of applications that suited my needs.
    You mean games right?
    Android games aren't that good yet, lol, personally the only two I have are pacman and labyrinth
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Anonymous Proxy Show Events

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    I don't know, that SFCave game is pretty awesome

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    708 Posts
    You mean games right?
    Android games aren't that good yet, lol, personally the only two I have are pacman and labyrinth
    How about the emulators? I know they just released a PS1 emulator.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,508 Posts
    For the Android version list, the Dream/MyTouch can now be upgraded to 2.2 via CyanogenMod.

Also why don't we just do a giant Google Docs Spreadsheet and make it public so people can input information? Seems like it'd be easier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,316 Posts
    I've always liked the look of Andriod. Even though I probably wouldn't use the apps available for it much. I should really convince my Dad to upgrade his Nexus One to Froyo

I kind of wish the iDriod project was moving faster, but that is something I will happily wait for, a stable OS later is better than a buggy OS now.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,487 Posts
    I'd like to pick a Milestone (Droid) on Orange, but the only contracts for 20 with internet included is just 500mb. Not sure if it's enough.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,197 Posts
    I'd like to pick a Milestone (Droid) on Orange, but the only contracts for 20 with internet included is just 500mb. Not sure if it's enough.
    I get just by fine with that deal.

Just found a pretty amazing looking tablet
    http://translate.google.com/translat...&sl=auto&tl=en

35. Post #35
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    for those of you waiting for the Android Froyo 2.2 update, I wouldn't expect anything soon. Remember what happened to the 2.1 update (it took almost 2 months after its expected release to actually get to a majority of devices)

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    September 2007
    727 Posts
    Droid X standing by. Any apps I should know about?

37. Post #37
    September 2009
    9,817 Posts
    Awesome thread.
    I wish I had the money to buy an Android phone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    August 2009
    530 Posts
    For the Android version list, the Dream/MyTouch can now be upgraded to 2.2 via CyanogenMod.

Also why don't we just do a giant Google Docs Spreadsheet and make it public so people can input information? Seems like it'd be easier.

I think he's only listing official updates, if not add the Eris to FroYo also

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,356 Posts
    HTC Desire will soon get Froyo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    13,999 Posts
    Still waiting for my Droid 2.2 update.....