1. Post #4881
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    if you don't understand what the radio does, don't change it. you'll probably end up bricking your phone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

2. Post #4882
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,703 Posts
    Best camera app if you don't have sense?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

3. Post #4883
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,562 Posts
    Gingerbread basically just adds a nicer UI, a much improved keyboard, and lots of other little features (one I really like is the battery graph that's built-in).

A radio is a separate firmware that controls stuff like wi-fi, GPS, network, etc. They're kinda "permanent", as in flashing a different ROM won't change the firmware. Lots of ROMs mention recommended radio firmware to use with that ROM, so it's strongly recommended you just stick with them. However, it doesn't hurt to use other radios
    I see, thank you very much :)

Edited:

if you don't understand what the radio does, don't change it. you'll probably end up bricking your phone
    Elaborate? As far as I can see it's pretty much the same process as flashing a custom rom

Edited:

Best camera app if you don't have sense?
    I've found Camera 360 to be very good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #4884
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    Gingerbread basically just adds a nicer UI, a much improved keyboard, and lots of other little features (one I really like is the battery graph that's built-in).
    And most important: It the conditional garage collector is now a concurrent garbage collector. This will get rid of the lags you get sometimes when the GC was running.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

5. Post #4885
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,214 Posts
    Radios are sort of like the phone's drivers. It is the same process as flashing a ROM but some people do it via Android SDK.

6. Post #4886
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,562 Posts
    I was still annoyed at CM's failure to work for me, so I tried doing it one last time.. and it worked!

Configuring it now :)

7. Post #4887
    How do I install Gingerbread? Sorry for sounding like a idiot. :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events

8. Post #4888
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,032 Posts
    HTC Desire, or HTC Legend? I'm leaning towards the Desire but I want your opinion. Is the Desire more bulky? Does the higher resolution and better specs make up for it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

9. Post #4889
    guys, I was thinking about buying an Android tablet but I have a question. can I update the firmware because some of them come with 2.1 or 2.2 and I know theres a new update coming/has came
    I'm new to the Android scene.

10. Post #4890
    November 2009
    2,137 Posts
    guys, I was thinking about buying an Android tablet but I have a question. can I update the firmware because some of them come with 2.1 or 2.2 and I know theres a new update coming/has came
    I'm new to the Android scene.
    I would wait till the Android 3.0 tablets begin to show up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #4891
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,564 Posts
    Don't buy a tablet yet. Wait for Android 3.0.
    Get a phone for now. I suggest HTC Desire. Desire HD if you need a big screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #4892
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,196 Posts
    How do I install Gingerbread? Sorry for sounding like a idiot. :saddowns:
    On what?

Edited:

HTC Desire, or HTC Legend? I'm leaning towards the Desire but I want your opinion. Is the Desire more bulky? Does the higher resolution and better specs make up for it?
    The Legend's only advantage is the price, if that's not a problem get the Desire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #4893
    But I'm not looking into spending a ton of money on a tablet. I have about $250 to spend and don't really need to wait for 3.0 overpriced ones if I can just get an older (but just as capable) tablet that I can upgrade which brings me back to the question:
    Say if I get a tablet with 2.2 installed. Can I buy it, then upgrade it to 2.3 and then on as updates come out? I read there might be a limit based on specs off of what I've read on Amazon. Apparently on some tablets its dangerous to upgrade yourself? or is that just for people who have no idea how to install Operation Systems?
    I'm not looking to do major stuff on this. Just play some games with friends, watch movies, videos, surf the web and such and whatever the Marketplace has to offer that I will use.

actually... after review the list of tablets I was interested in, I had to cut a ton after reading reviews or seeing they were coming from China. Right now I am only really interested in one and thats the Advent Vega and its either not released yet or incredibly hard to find. And the Archos 101. so I think I will wait till 3.0 tablets come out.

yea so just nevermind my posts. that was a bad mistake on my part. I should have researched better to realize theres hardly any quality ones out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #4894
    April 2009
    1,005 Posts
    Just reinstalled CyanogenMod on my GT540, it's now OC'ed at 845MHz :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events

15. Post #4895
    November 2009
    2,137 Posts
    Just reinstalled CyanogenMod on my GT540, it's now OC'ed at 845MHz :smug:
    My GT540 gets hot as it is. Does CyanogenMod use less ram than the LG Home?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #4896
    roar
    January 2008
    13,322 Posts
    :sigh: why can't Market support Paypal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

17. Post #4897
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,215 Posts
    Paypal has been losing trust online for a while now sadly, their usage fees and account freezing can't be helping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

18. Post #4898
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,249 Posts
    is there any way to use the flash while recording video on the htc wildfire's default camera? it works fine in camera mode but the flash button is greyed out in video mode
    is it not supported?
    if not, anyone recommend any camera apps which support flash in video?

19. Post #4899
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,226 Posts
    is there any way to use the flash while recording video on the htc wildfire's default camera? it works fine in camera mode but the flash button is greyed out in video mode
    is it not supported?
    if not, anyone recommend any camera apps which support flash in video?
    You could always run a flashlight app in the background while you record, I did that on my D1

20. Post #4900
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    Definitely, the Desire has a way better resolution. I once held both in my hands at once. While you can see every pixel on the Legend, the desire resolution is so high that you barely see any pixel. But the legend is better looking.

Edited:

Don't buy a tablet yet. Wait for Android 3.0.
    Get a phone for now. I suggest HTC Desire. Desire HD if you need a big screen.
    Another alternative with a better screen would be the Nexus S. It's also better looking than the normal Desire.

Edited:

But I'm not looking into spending a ton of money on a tablet. I have about $250 to spend and don't really need to wait for 3.0 overpriced ones if I can just get an older (but just as capable) tablet that I can upgrade which brings me back to the question:
    Say if I get a tablet with 2.2 installed. Can I buy it, then upgrade it to 2.3 and then on as updates come out? I read there might be a limit based on specs off of what I've read on Amazon. Apparently on some tablets its dangerous to upgrade yourself? or is that just for people who have no idea how to install Operation Systems?
    I'm not looking to do major stuff on this. Just play some games with friends, watch movies, videos, surf the web and such and whatever the Marketplace has to offer that I will use.

actually... after review the list of tablets I was interested in, I had to cut a ton after reading reviews or seeing they were coming from China. Right now I am only really interested in one and thats the Advent Vega and its either not released yet or incredibly hard to find. And the Archos 101. so I think I will wait till 3.0 tablets come out.

yea so just nevermind my posts. that was a bad mistake on my part. I should have researched better to realize theres hardly any quality ones out.
    Waiting for a 3.0 tablet is the right choice, yes. It offers so much more good software quality and the tablets using 3.0 in the future will also be better and slim compared to the current one. In my eyes, nearly all current Android Tablets are prototypes because Android wasn't really developed for tablets so far (resolution etc). That's where 3.0 will be perfect for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

21. Post #4901
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    639 Posts
    :sigh: why can't Market support Paypal
    probably because paypal is literally the worst online service known to mankind
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

22. Post #4902
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,562 Posts
    Definitely the Desire
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #4903
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    What's the actual resolution for wallpapers to the EVO, if I wanted to take a wallpaper from my computer and put it on my phone, what resolution would I want it to be?

24. Post #4904
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,654 Posts
    960x800

25. Post #4905
    June 2009
    192 Posts
    anyone find that handecent and the native sms conflict with eachother?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

26. Post #4906
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,533 Posts
    anyone find that handecent and the native sms conflict with eachother?
    yeah but if you remove the notifications from the native version and make handecent sms the default you should be fine

but I have trouble downloading video/pictures sometimes with handecent

27. Post #4907
    October 2007
    2,005 Posts
    Anyone have a recommendation for a ROM for my Droid 2 Global?

28. Post #4908
    A Self Condescending Title
    October 2006
    2,207 Posts
    Fission. It's as vanilla as you can get with the D2G. It's also what I use.

Edited:

Forgot the link so here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=851623

29. Post #4909
    kill yourself
    May 2008
    4,160 Posts
    Does dps manager works on every rom?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

30. Post #4910
    April 2009
    1,005 Posts
    My GT540 gets hot as it is. Does CyanogenMod use less ram than the LG Home?
    I think Cyanogen uses ADW as a default launcher. Dunno how much memory it uses, too lazy to check out. But I can guarantee that memory is not a problem, even with many apps running.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #4911
    Is SPB TV for android free? Do I have to pay?

Edited:

Also, where can I download SPB mobile shell for android?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events

32. Post #4912
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,712 Posts
    Got me the gingerbread keyboard and whoah it's so ... beautiful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #4913
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,249 Posts
    You could always run a flashlight app in the background while you record, I did that on my D1
    i tried this with the default flashlight app (which owns) but it turns off if you minimise it

34. Post #4914
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,774 Posts
    Got kwaak3 working on my tablet after some nags!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

35. Post #4915
    April 2009
    1,005 Posts
    Got kwaak3 working on my tablet after some nags!

You know that quake3droid is a more recent version of Kwaak3 right ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events

36. Post #4916
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,774 Posts
    You know that quake3droid is a more recent version of Kwaak3 right ?
    I don't really want to pay for a port, I'll stick with Kwaak3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events

37. Post #4917
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,562 Posts
    One thing I've noticed is how, on xPiano, I can only press 2 keys at the same time ("multi-touch") whereas on my girlfriend's iTouch you can press 3 (maybe 4, I can't remember)

Is that a fault of the app? Or just the Desire's hardware?

38. Post #4918
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,348 Posts
    One thing I've noticed is how, on xPiano, I can only press 2 keys at the same time ("multi-touch") whereas on my girlfriend's iTouch you can press 3 (maybe 4, I can't remember)

Is that a fault of the app? Or just the Desire's hardware?
    It's not the apps fault, as I can use 4+ "keys" on my Galaxy S.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #4919
    kill yourself
    May 2008
    4,160 Posts
    Somewhere i saw someone running the newest ubuntu on an android phone isnt it called ubuntu phone or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

40. Post #4920
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,214 Posts
    Somewhere i saw someone running the newest ubuntu on an android phone isnt it called ubuntu phone or something?
    You can run ubuntu on many phones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)