1. Post #881
    November 2009
    41 Posts
    I'm a fairly new mapper and I want to ask a question either to GameDev or oskutin, how did the both of you acquire such mapping skill; just overtime or were you taught this ?

2. Post #882
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    It's like anything else, practice makes perfect. As you do something, you pick up skills and trends that fit your style and that look nice, and your mapping becomes refined. /totally not oskutin or gamedev
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #883
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    I sucked ass at mapping for quite a while, just recently I've been able to take the reins. On the other hand, Oskutin has been mapping for (3+?) years and has over 3000 hours logged in the SDK.

Takes practice, lots of it.

That was me a year and a half ago. I was pretty bad.    Shit, that image is from my first post   

Edited:

1: Make your object and tie it to propper_model.

2: Make your collision model, make it a func_brush and name it something e.g "mesh01".

3: Now go back to the propper_model and enter "mesh01" under "physics mesh".

Make sure the propper_model and func_brush have the same origin otherwise they won't be aligned.

4: Compile with propper.

EDIT: Place the collision brushes *over* the propper_model, I placed them side by side in the image just for clarity.
    :h:

Just realized you aren't on my Steam, ya'll should add me up

4. Post #884
    November 2009
    41 Posts
    Thanks for the advice, it gives me a lot more moral knowing that fine mapper like you guys also started from the ground up.

P.S Don't worry pyth i was just naming what came to the top of my head,...you were not forgotten.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #885
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    Not much content to show right now, pretty much just proppering everything I see

Edited:

1: Make your object and tie it to propper_model.

2: Make your collision model, make it a func_brush and name it something e.g "mesh01".

3: Now go back to the propper_model and enter "mesh01" under "physics mesh".

Make sure the propper_model and func_brush have the same origin otherwise they won't be aligned.

4: Compile with propper.

EDIT: Place the collision brushes *over* the propper_model, I placed them side by side in the image just for clarity.
    And this worked, I love you

6. Post #886
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    Good news, I managed to get that map under the limits by proppering over 4000+ brushes, and got the map to fully compile.

All that needs done is switches and I have to finish the skybox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 3Mapping King Mapping King x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #887
    November 2009
    41 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc

Keep up the good work, I want to see this map see the light of day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

8. Post #888
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    Here, feast on these images of proppered tracks and ground with broken light origins

And yes, that was the map fully compiled

9. Post #889
    Probably the most arrogant mapper in the World
    June 2007
    1,729 Posts
    The cliff texture looks really odd.

10. Post #890
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Here, feast on these images of proppered tracks and ground with broken light origins:

And yes, that was the map fully compiled
    The problem is that VRAD is using the bounding box of the model to calculate radiosity bounces from the sun, which is why everything under the bounding box is black. You have two options here:

1) Disable shadows on the prop_static (may look a bit odd with a track without shadows.)
    2) Try the buggy "-StaticPropPolys" on VRAD command line compile options (it doesn't always work for me.)

11. Post #891
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    The cliff texture looks really odd.
    It's BJK's, but I might replace it

12. Post #892
    Hghgnn, I can't wait.

13. Post #893
    May 2010
    3,734 Posts
    i like trains
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

14. Post #894
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts

Skyboxes are close to being done

Todo list

Code:
    - Fix light origins on tracks
    - Skybox
    - Optimization with areaportals and hint
    - Switches (Lots of work)
    - Fix some collision meshes on models
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

15. Post #895
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    Well, it looks like I managed to fuck up the tracks collision meshes, so the map is now completley unplayable..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

16. Post #896
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,740 Posts
    Well, it looks like I managed to fuck up the tracks collision meshes, so the map is now completley unplayable..
    The tracks itself or the trackbeds?

17. Post #897
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    The tracks itself or the trackbeds?
    both

18. Post #898
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,740 Posts
    In my experience, proppering the tracks itself is a bitch. If you propper a long piece of track the collisions might glitch and the engine will use the bounding box instead. Trackbeds suck aswel, hence the lighting issues above. Imo, I would func_detail them and propper the scenery around the tracks instead (if you haven't done so already).

19. Post #899
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    In my experience, proppering the tracks itself is a bitch. If you propper a long piece of track the collisions might glitch and the engine will use the bounding box instead. Trackbeds suck aswel, hence the lighting issues above. Imo, I would func_detail them and propper the scenery around the tracks instead (if you haven't done so already).
    The tracks and bed combined are over 1500 brushes, keeping them as a func_detail would make the map physically impossible to run.

The only solution is to redo the propper, only in much smaller sections.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #900
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,405 Posts
    Compile with -staticproplighting.

21. Post #901
    July 2006
    70 Posts
    Incase you may be interested, I found a helpful tutorial that could possibly suit your needs with regards to optimizing and compiling your propper train track models.

Propper Hammer Modeling tutorial - Optimization

As you have already mentioned, yes, compiling the brushwork into smaller sections would definitely help. I did this with some fencing for a project I had going on a while ago. This prevented an assortment of model errors from rising.

Best of luck with your project!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

22. Post #902
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    Incase you may be interested, I found a helpful tutorial that could possibly suit your needs with regards to optimizing and compiling your propper train track models.

Propper Hammer Modeling tutorial - Optimization

As you have already mentioned, yes, compiling the brushwork into smaller sections would definitely help. I did this with some fencing for a project I had going on a while ago. This prevented an assortment of model errors from rising.

Best of luck with your project!
    This will definitely help, thank you very much.

23. Post #903
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,634 Posts
    Don't have the track models casting shadows. They are only low on the ground, so their shadow isn't very important at all and you'd be wasting VRAD time for something so trivial.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #904
    Don't have the track models casting shadows. They are only low on the ground, so their shadow isn't very important at all and you'd be wasting VRAD time for something so trivial.
    No wonder! Informative, you are, my good man D:

25. Post #905

April 2011
    12 Posts
    Very nice job so far, good luck on your progress.

P.S I love trains :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #906
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    149 Posts
    In case another cityrail comes around, where should it take place? Here is a quick list of possible locations;
    Code:
    =UK=*
    -London
    -Manchester
    -Liverpool
    -Bristol
    -Edinburgh*
    -Belfast
    -Dublin

=France=
    -Paris
    -Lyon
    -Bordeaux
    -Marseille

=Germany=
    -Berlin**
    -Essen
    -Frankfurt
    -Stuttgart

=Netherlands=
    -Amsterdam

=Belgium=
    -Brussel

=Norway=
    -Oslo
    -Bergen
    -Trondheim

=China=
    -Hong Kong
    -Shanghai*
    -Wuhan
    -Beijing

=South Korea=
    -Seoul*

=Japan=*
    -Tokyo***
    -Osaka
    I will count votes in this post, but it might not be final

Edited:

Now oskutin and I are thinking Norway, maybe in the winter?

27. Post #907
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    [h2]*COUGH* BERLIN *COUGH*[/h2]

28. Post #908
    July 2009
    612 Posts
    In case another cityrail comes around, where should it take place? Here is a quick list of possible locations;

Code:
    =UK=
    -London
    -Manchester
    -Liverpool
    -Bristol
    -Edinburgh
    -Belfast
    -Dublin

=France=
    -Paris
    -Lyon
    -Bordeaux
    -Marseille

=Germany=
    -Berlin
    -Essen
    -Frankfurt
    -Stuttgart

=Netherlands=
    -Amsterdam

=Belgium=
    -Brussel

=China=
    -Hong Kong
    -Shanghai
    -Wuhan
    -Beijing

=South Korea=
    -Seoul

=Japan=
    -Tokyo
    -Osaka
    Brussel is in Belgium.

I vote for Tokyo. With lots of flashy animated textures and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #909
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,740 Posts

Code:
    =UK=
    -London
    -Manchester
    -Liverpool
    -Bristol
    -Edinburgh
    -Belfast
    -Dublin

=France=
    -Paris
    -Lyon
    -Bordeaux
    -Marseille

=Germany=
    -Berlin
    -Essen
    -Frankfurt
    -Stuttgart

=Netherlands=
    -Amsterdam

=Belgium=
    Brussel

=China=
    -Hong Kong
    -Shanghai
    -Wuhan
    -Beijing

=South Korea=
    -Seoul

=Japan=
    -Tokyo
    -Osaka
    Currently working on a train map with some german influences. It doesnt have a specific real world location though.

30. Post #910
    i love everyone
    Dennab
    December 2010
    3,351 Posts

I vote for Tokyo. With lots of flashy animated textures and such.
    oh god yes please

31. Post #911
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,405 Posts
    I vote custom!
    In mountains!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

32. Post #912
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    1,740 Posts
    I vote custom!
    In mountains!
    You're the pro here, show us how it's done!

33. Post #913
    I vote custom!
    In mountains!
    Go jump in a well and call me titty king, no!

I want a snow map. There has never been a snow-themed train map made fully :frown:

It should be flat, too, with two tracks at least. Then I could run my successfully running hl2 train around it like I can with drumdevils' map :3:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #914
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    149 Posts
    Wondering how to mix high-speed rail elements with street-based systems in the next map, I was quite disappointed that the resources and time were not available to have a street-level Helsinki track in gm_cityrail. It would not be fun to require instantly braking as you switch from high-speed elevated rail to a street, should slower tracks be left out of the next also? I made a quick concept of the sort;

Edited:

No img_thumb tags?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

35. Post #915
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,582 Posts
    No img_thumb tags?
    [thumb][/thumb]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

36. Post #916
    February 2008
    1,321 Posts
    Is there anything that can be done about the way trains jump a little bit when they go over switches.

37. Post #917
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    Is there anything that can be done about the way trains jump a little bit when they go over switches.
    It depends on the track width.

38. Post #918
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    149 Posts
    It depends on the track width.
    Another funny thing about track width, though somewhat irrelevant thing about rail widths is how badly corners and bends can mess up the actual width between the rails. The harder a corner gets, the closer the rails get -- this is typically overlooked because Source physics aren't perfect, but several times I was forced to fix it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #919
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts

It's funny because I overwrote the prop and now the tracks are gone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #920
    Fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit...

fixit fixit fixit fixit fixit.

-Fry