1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,302 Posts
    A coroner has condemned the "shabby" actions of people who took mobile phone photographs of a teenage girl after she jumped from a multi-storey car park.
    Robyn Nixon, 15, had suffered bullying by being excluded from a group of friends and had also broken up with her boyfriend, an inquest heard.
    She died when she jumped from the car park in Weymouth, Dorset, on 11 April.
    The coroner praised passers-by who tried to help her but said some took photographs as she lay dying.

The inquest in Dorchester heard she had previously threatened her former boyfriend and another male friend that she would take her own life.
    She had been speaking to her ex-boyfriend in the minutes before she jumped from the top floor of the car park.
    The boy, now aged 17, cannot be named, but had been in the town with his new girlfriend and went to the car park when Robyn phoned him.
    But moments after arriving, Robyn ended the phone call and stepped off from the edge of the building.
    Her former boyfriend rushed to her side but she had suffered massive head injuries and was declared dead in hospital shortly afterwards.
    West Dorset coroner Michael Johnston said of the people who took photographs: "You can only presume something like this has never happened to them, but it does make you worried about humanity."
    Psychological bullying In a direct message to the passers-by who took photographs, he said: "This was a child's life and you were taking photos on your mobile phones.
    "I'm sorry, but I think that is horrid and the people who did that ought to be ashamed of themselves."
    Mr Johnson said nobody could know what was going through Robyn's mind in the moments before she jumped, but concluded that she took her own life.
    Robyn's mother Sue Nixon, who wore a T-shirt bearing her daughter's image and the words "forget me not" on the front and the message "bullying stops here!" on the back, said she believed her daughter may have suffered from depression.
    She said: "She wasn't going to school as she felt so isolated, because she'd had a falling-out with friends and she just felt that everybody hated her."
    Mrs Nixon said her daughter was subject to "psychological bullying" rather than physical abuse, and had also been taunted on a social networking site while on holiday.
    "I didn't know it was as bad as what it was until afterwards," she said.
    Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-10945333

Seriously, why the fuck would you want to take picture of a young girl dying?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 92Funny Funny x 11Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    December 2009
    620 Posts

Because 95% of people are assholes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 174Disagree Disagree x 11Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2010
    1,792 Posts
    Reminds me of the Brit who stood on a cliff and threatened to jump off, and then some people came and encouraged him to jump... what he eventually did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Israel Show Events Friendly x 91Funny x 14Bad Spelling x 2Dumb x 2Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    BmB
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,569 Posts
    Well if you can't save her at least document it. Why is this bad?

I can see if they encouraged her to jump, or were taking pictures instead of calling emergency services that it might be bad, but just taking a picture when nothing else could be done?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,813 Posts
    Oh humanity...

:Dawkins102:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 64Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    December 2009
    1,937 Posts
    I watched a documentary on stuff like this where people just walked past a old man that had just been run over and was bleeding on the pavement and the videoed him as well sick fuckers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 24Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Coroner posted:
    "You can only presume something like this has never happened to them, but it does make you worried about humanity."
    You're a coroner, nobody gives a fuck about what you think.
    I sure wish I got paid to declare people as dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 61Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    February 2010
    1,117 Posts
    I hope the people who bullied her get that picture and have to wake up to it everyday. Fucking stupid kids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 44Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,580 Posts
    Mr Johnson said nobody could know what was going through Robyn's mind in the moments before she jumped, but concluded that she took her own life.
    She invited her bf to watch, she's evil.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    BmB
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,569 Posts
    *Before* she jumped.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2007
    436 Posts
    Where are the pictures?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 41Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    May 2010
    454 Posts
    There are some sick people in this world, i mean what the fuck taking pictures of a dying girl! This is why humanity is failing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,842 Posts
    This doesn't necessarily mean that they're assholes. I remember seeing a special on 9/11 and some of the calmest people were ones who were running around with video cameras. They were able to distance themselves from the situation and avoid panic. It's possible that these kids were assholes but they might not have known how to deal with it. If you're gonna stand around a dead body you can at least pretend that you're doing it for a reason. Rather than to just be there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    August 2009
    2,068 Posts
    That's sick...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    There are some sick people in this world, i mean what the fuck taking pictures of a dying girl! This is why humanity is failing!
    Yeah bro. A handful of people taking pictures of a dying girl is totally representative of the entire population. Good job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 31Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16

June 2010
    314 Posts
    Taking pictures? Fucking disgusting.

Anyone happen to have a link to these pictures so I can determine how disgusting this is?

edit: oh come on, not even slightly curious about the pics?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,870 Posts
    Killing yourself,

THE ULTIMATE COMEBACK.

/run backontopic.exe

I don't blame people who stood around and took pictures, it's natural Human morbid curiosity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-10945333

It's bad when the average Joe does it.

It's alright if a dozen TV News Channels get the word about it in advance and all show up to film it and show it to thousands of people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    No, what? Fuck those people. That's just fucking horrible, if there is a hell I hope those people will go there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,383 Posts
    I'm surprised. There are no pictures of this on the internet yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    March 2010
    4,605 Posts
    This has happened before, it's called the Bystander Effect, it's a very interesting psychological analysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_Effect
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,165 Posts
    Fucking pricks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    It's bad when the average Joe does it.

It's alright if a dozen TV News Channels get the word about it in advance and all show up to film it and show it to thousands of people.
    They're SUPPOSED to do that, they're fucking news channels. And if they're there, help has arrived. Random fuckheads doing this is fucking disgusting. I'd like to see all these people in serious injury on the verge of death, and watch as everyone looks and nobody helps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,165 Posts
    This has happened before, it's called the Bystander Effect, it's a very interesting psychological analysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_Effect
    I seriously do not think this applies. Why? Because they were taking fucking pictures, instead of dialing a simple 911, they were aware what they were doing, and obviously did not care.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 5Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2010
    4,605 Posts
    I seriously do not think this applies. Why? Because they were taking fucking pictures, instead of dialing a simple 911, they were aware what they were doing, and obviously did not care.
    Actually, I'm not sure if this applied to this situation but it seems like it.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,021 Posts
    Great job that's exactly what the bystander effect is here's your certificate of idiocy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    16,313 Posts
    The article doesn't say they were taking pictures instead of calling 911, or in this I think it's 711. What if they called emergency services before they started taking pictures?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    What fun is there in making sense?
    Dennab
    October 2007
    9,274 Posts
    Part of me says nothing could be done by these people...you dont need 8 people giving you CPR when you're head looks like a smashed melon.

But another part of me says these people are soul-less scum for standing there and taking pictures and video of a stranger in their final moments of life...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    Oh man, this reminds me of that story of that guy in China who climbed a bridge to encourage another dude to jump and then he saluted him on his way down.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,859 Posts
    You do realize you just described it almost exactly, don't you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    March 2010
    1,899 Posts
    She must be pretty photogenic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    You're a coroner, nobody gives a fuck about what you think.
    I sure wish I got paid to declare people as dead.
    seek some help
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,343 Posts
    Because 95% of people are assholes.
    Including 99% of facepunch :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,092 Posts
    She already had it in her mind to jump, what else is there to do?

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    She already had it in her mind to jump, what else is there to do?
    ask her nicely to not do it, think of her family, etc.

it may have saved her. these people are desperate and having other people reinforcing these plans/thoughts is terrible.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,092 Posts
    If she wants to die it's not my problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,982 Posts
    If she wants to die it's not my problem.
    so if you were there and someone was about to jump you would just watch them and take pictures too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,092 Posts
    If they were ugly, yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    6,760 Posts
    Ugh, humanity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,484 Posts
    I don't understand the outrage. Nothing could have been done to save her life. Besides, if she wanted to off herself, why bother?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)