1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    [RELEASE]A coalition of human rights groups has called on Wikileaks to remove details of civilian Afghans who were named when the website released more than 77,000 classified US Army documents on the war in Afghanistan.

In a series of emails sent to the website's founder, Julian Assange, the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC), Amnesty International and three other prominent rights groups called on the whistleblower website to expunge the names of Afghans mentioned in the war logs because of fears that they could be targeted by insurgents.

Nader Nadery, from the AIHRC, said he and the four other rights groups in Kabul had written emails to Mr Assange but had yet to hear back from the Wikileaks founder.

Related articles
    Civilian death toll rises by a third in Afghanistan
    Julie Burchill: I'll be an armchair warrior any time, rather than an armchair appeaser
    Search the news archive for more stories
    "There was no consideration about civilian lives," he said, adding that Afghan civilians seen to be collaborating with Nato forces are often assassinated by insurgents. "We said that in the future the names should be redacted and the ones that are already there need to be taken down. Even though it's late, it is still worth doing."

The emails, which were also sent on behalf of Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict, the Open Society Institute and International Crisis Group, are the first clear indication that some human rights activists are at odds with the way the Afghan logs were published.

Wikileaks, which has been behind some of the most impressive scoops of recent years, gave three newspapers early access to the classified documents which then published their findings simultaneously last month.

Until now, criticism of the decision to leak the logs or the way they were published has largely been consigned to those governments involved in the war in Afghanistan and media commentators.

The US government has gone on the offensive against Wikileaks with reports surfacing in the US last night that defence department officials are considering asking Britain, Germany and Australia to bring criminal charges against Mr Assange.

The website may also come under pressure from Sweden, where Wikileaks operates a number of critical internet servers. The country has some of the best media protection laws in Europe and has been a safe-haven for Mr Assange's site, but one Swedish official quoted in the Sydsvenskan newspaper said that Wikileaks was vulnerable because it has no license to publish material in Sweden.

Wikileaks itself has yet to issue any formal response to five human rights groups, but in a series of Twitter updates Mr Assange's most common form of communication to the public the website's founder appears to be at odds with the stance of the groups. In his latest tweet, posted yesterday afternoon, Mr Assange said: "Don't be fooled on the "human rights groups". No formal statement. US led."

The US government has demanded that Wikileaks take down the war logs, something that the website has refused to do arguing that the previously unseen documents provide a vital insight into the way the war in Afghanistan has been conducted. Mr Assange has, however, called on human rights groups, Nato and the US government to help it trawl the logs and help redact any names that may be sensitive.

A Wikileaks spokesman, who uses the name Daniel Schmitt in order to protect his identity, told The Associated Press over the weekend: "That request remains open. However, the Pentagon has stated that it is not interested in 'harm minimisation' and has not contacted us, directly, or indirectly to discuss this offer."

The newspapers involved in the initial analysis of the war logs have also felt compelled to defend their decision to publish in recent days.

Eric Schmidt, a reporter at The New York Times who worked on the documents, said: "On this story, as with all sensitive military/ intelligence/ national security articles, we took great care to mitigate any threat to US service members, Afghan security forces and informants working with the US in Afghanistan; as well as US national security, and sensitive sources and methods. We redacted the names and other identifying details from the incident reports we published in the Times."[/RELEASE]
    Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-2049098.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 7Informative Informative x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    9,638 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    Thank you, but this thread is about a different topic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2009
    3,812 Posts
    So is he going to remove the names of those that can be endangered by this or not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    4,792 Posts
    I agree that much of the time things need to be leaked, but this is just unfiltered stuff that will bring no revolutions about the government to light. Most of the stuff just gets people killed while little to none of it incriminates anyone. I wouldn't have a problem if someone read the shit to release things that would be relevant but as it stands it's just the dangers of leaking things with none of the payoff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

6. Post #6
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,350 Posts
    Okay, I'm switching sides. Kill him, CIA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree x 78Dumb x 29Disagree x 6Funny x 4Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    May 2010
    646 Posts
    If he does intend to publish these documents, then what exactly is in the insurance file? We can certainly rule out these documents now.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    Assanage is an asshole. He should only release documents about war crimes, when he starts allowing the release of actual military documents, thats basically handing over our men on a silver platter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 38 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,825 Posts
    Assanage is an asshole. He should only release documents about war crimes, when he starts allowing the release of actual military documents, thats basically handing over our men on a silver platter.
    As far as I am aware these people are hackers, they really don't care about people. Hacking something like this is just a goldmine for one, its a way of showing their power. Thats what I understand from what a few hackers have said anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    May 2010
    23 Posts
    My base send my entire flight an URGENT message about this yesterday.

11. Post #11
    March 2010
    4,223 Posts
    As far as I am aware these people are hackers, they really don't care about people. Hacking something like this is just a goldmine for one, its a way of showing their power. Thats what I understand from what a few hackers have said anyway.
    What the fuck are you talking about? Wikileaks is a journalistic/whistle-blower organization, they publish what gets anonymously submitted to them. No one hacked anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2009
    3,812 Posts
    I think he should be sent to Afghanistan and his location publicly displayed via newspaper.

George Washington kept secrets during the war for independence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,825 Posts
    What the fuck are you talking about? Wikileaks is a journalistic/whistle-blower organization, they publish what gets anonymously submitted to them. No one hacked anything.
    Well I mean the people who got the information in the first place, leaked the files. I thought Wiki leaks had a group of hackers, or I may have been misinformed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    The Taliban would throw a surprise party for him and give him 100 camels in gratitude.

Not being racist. Camels are a form of currency in most tribal middle eastern cultures.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    March 2010
    4,223 Posts
    Well I mean the people who got the information in the first place, leaked the files. I thought Wiki leaks had a group of hackers, or I may have been misinformed.
    Blackhats had absolutely nothing to do with this. The idea currently being pursued is a US army private with clearance for the files leaked them to WL.

The Taliban would throw a surprise party for him and give him 100 camels in gratitude.

Not being racist. Camels are a form of currency in most tribal middle eastern cultures.   

Middle east = prison? :confused:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2009
    7,500 Posts
    The shoe's on the other foot now, isn't it?

Edited:

Better get your shit together Assange, a lot of angry people are coming your way.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    So is he going to remove the names of those that can be endangered by this or not?
    Well I hope so, but basically he's accusing everyone that's telling him to censor the names of informants of working for the U.S. Which makes me wonder wtf he is doing right now.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,610 Posts
    assange is going senile
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    August 2009
    3,812 Posts
    Well I hope so, but basically he's accusing everyone that's telling him to censor the names of informants of working for the U.S. Which makes me wonder wtf he is doing right now.
    He is being a piece of shit.

Not only that, he is being a stupid piece of shit, had he censored the names he could have garnered more support.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,284 Posts
    nice going fucktard

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,047 Posts
    Assange is a a fucking asshole. I hope he gets fucking caught and detained in a jail cell where he is raped every day for the rest of his life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    June 2010
    487 Posts
    Assange is a a fucking asshole. I hope he gets fucking caught and detained in a jail cell where he is raped every day for the rest of his life.
    oh no, he exposed war crimes, what an asshole. I for one want to be lied to and keep the wars going on for fucking ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2009
    5,753 Posts
    oh no, he exposed war crimes, what an asshole. I for one want to be lied to and keep the wars going on for fucking ever.
    I don't mind the war crimes being exposed but he's leaking shit that no one but insurgents care about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,243 Posts
    He's also exposed many names of people who have cooperated with us, and puts all of them in danger by not censoring the names.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,099 Posts
    And this is why I never like him or Wikileaks. He releases too much important shit.

26. Post #26
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    I don't see why this is a big deal, censorship is a bad idea in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    July 2010
    4,314 Posts
    Okay, I'm switching sides. Ban him again, Garry.

Mods shouldn't advocate murder and you are better than that.

Amnesty International and three other prominent rights groups called on the whistleblower website to expunge the names of Afghans mentioned in the war logs because of fears that they could be targeted by insurgents.
    The names were expunged, that's why there was a delay, this isn't news
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 23Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    July 2009
    5,753 Posts
    I don't see why this is a big deal, censorship is a bad idea in the first place.
    yeah you clearly didn't read the article

it's about censoring the names of informants whose names don't matter to us but if revealed could result in them being killed.

29. Post #29
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    I clearly don't care actually. He should just release all the shit and get it over with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    July 2009
    5,753 Posts
    I clearly don't care actually. He should just release all the shit and get it over with.
    what's the rush it's not like anything will result from us learning of even more war crimes, apathy will set in as usual

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    You're incredibly dumb.

(User was banned for this post ("flaming" - GunFox))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    943 Posts
    I think he's doing a good job by releasing information about the wars which I barely get any information about other than our troops being killed, their funerals or roadside bombs - either way I don't support the war but I'd like to know more about it than very little.

33. Post #33
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    what's the rush it's not like anything will result from us learning of even more war crimes, apathy will set in as usual
    I don't really care to be honest, it's better than censorship.

34. Post #34
    July 2009
    5,753 Posts
    you won't read the documents anyway

you'll just hear about the highlights

that's all they need to release but instead they're just going "fuck it that's hard work :saddowns:" and risking lives

35. Post #35
    I SHOULDN'T OWN A FIREARM
    May 2005
    7,500 Posts
    Yes. We should just announce to everyone what we are doing at all times.

That won't undermine military operations at all. Nope. No way no how.

I mean it's not like informants will see this and decide not to give us information anymore because now everyone knows who they are and that they are cooperating with the coalition forces. That won't put their families in danger at all.

The government has tried to be nice, and I'm fine with wikileaks leaking a lot of things, but this is over the line. Arrest him. This is wreckless endangerment at best and at worst it's blatant treason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

36. Post #36
    March 2010
    4,223 Posts

I mean it's not like informants will see this and decide not to give us information anymore because now everyone knows who they are and that they are cooperating with the coalition forces. That won't put their families in danger at all.

The government has tried to be nice, and I'm fine with wikileaks leaking a lot of things, but this is over the line. Arrest him. This is wreckless endangerment at best and at worst it's blatant treason.
    Jesus christ for the 100th time it's not Treason. He's not a citizen of the United States, he can't be charged with Australian treason because he release no direct information against them and there was no intent to aid the enemy, which is required to be treason under Australian law.

Stop using the term :mad:

EDIT: nvm you get the point
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    May 2005
    7,500 Posts
    Jesus christ for the 100th time it's not Treason. He's not a citizen of the United States, he can't be charged with Australian treason because he release no direct information against them and there was no intent to aid the enemy, which is required to be treason under Australian law.

Stop using the term :mad:
    Oops, sorry, espionage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,099 Posts

Be careful Gunfox. You'll soon be called a supporter of our heinous "war crimes" and then shit gets serious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    May 2005
    7,500 Posts
    Be careful Gunfox. You'll soon be called a supporter of our heinous "war crimes" and then shit gets serious.
    Oh that happens every thread. It could be a thread about kittens and it would happen.

What's funny is that I don't actually like our own federal government much at all. I think they are corrupt assholes. But everyone takes their hatred of the US to such great lengths that I have to step in and point out that they are being ridiculous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Starpluck? More like StarFUCK!!
    September 2008
    11,364 Posts
    Seeing as he's censored all the names in this batch, they're only bitching just to cover up their war crimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Bahrain Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)