1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,697 Posts
    [release]

Join legions of adventurers in RIFT™, a new fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) set in a world being torn apart.

Rifts violently rip into reality across the land and release powerful forces that threaten the very existence of Telara. Each breach brings with it new characters, events, and treasures, while the world itself changes dynamically around you.

Play with your friends across vast, lavishly detailed environments, or go head-to-head in challenging Player versus Player (PvP) combat as you battle to uncover the secrets of the planes. Build and advance your character using an innovative new class system with limitless possibilities.

The rifts have divided the people and endanger the world. Whether you fight to seal the rifts forever, or harness their power for your own, epic adventures lie ahead for those willing to fight for the future of Telara.

[/release]

[release][h2]The Rifts of Telara[/h2]

Mysterious rifts are tearing the world of Telara apart. A powerful magic explosion during the final days of the Shade War has left the veil between Telara and other planar dimensions fractured and torn.

Treacherous and powerful, these rifts occur when another plane of reality intersects with the magical Ward protecting Telara. Rifts create doorways for planar invasion, destroying the lands and people of Telara, but they may also grant otherworldly power to those brave enough to seize it.

Now no part of Telara is truly safe. Invasions can occur anywhere and at any time, and the danger to the world is growing. Two major factions have emerged to save the world of Telara from the rifts: the Guardian and the Defiant. Each faction works in different ways to preserve Telara's future, and both seek to undermine the other.

While little is known about the exact nature of the rifts, Telaran scholars, priests, and historians strive to unlock the mysteries of these massive portals. It is believed that the rifts are being caused by direct attacks on the magical Ward surrounding Telara. Regulos, the dragon god of extinction, seeks to free his imprisoned minions of the Blood Storm trapped deep inside Telara. These attacks weaken the veil and cause planar disruptions that open the destructive rifts across the world.

Often, rifts appear in the world as a tear in the fabric of reality. Powerful magic has been used to study these anomalies, and sometimes they have been opened inadvertently, resulting in great tragedy. But there is still much to learn from these destructive forces. Can riftic power be harnessed by sorcery? Can powerful beings enter the rifts to venture into the deadly planes beyond? How many planes really exist?

With rifts, only one thing is certain — if they are not stopped, the world of Telara will surely end.

[h2]Opening a Rift:[/h2]
    [/release]

[release][h2]Races[/h2]

RIFT™ provides many playable races to choose from. Each race has its own characteristic look, unique racial ability, and distinctive background story. Races also belong to one of two opposing factions, either Guardian or Defiant. Each race will offer players its own set of advantages and disadvantages during gameplay.

Legend has it that when Bahralt the crafter god had finished forging Telara, he examined his work and was pleased. His assistants in this masterpiece were spirits of creation, and he rewarded their labors with the gift of life. These Dwarves awoke with a desire to build and create, to craft wildest dreams into tangible wonders.

The Elves walked beside the gods in the youth of the world. Favored among Tavril’s creations, they were given long life, wisdom, and an affinity for the land. In return for these many gifts, the gods appointed them stewards of Telara, to watch over the wilds and defend the other races from all threats. The Elves took to this task with natural elegance and focus and guarded Telara with wisdom, magic, faith, and skill for thousands of years.

Honor, faith, and duty are the most sacred tenets of the strong Mathosian humans who once ruled the rocky highlands of the north. Mathosians value strength, hard work, and a man’s oath above all other things except perhaps loyalty. It is their commitment to these virtues that helped turn Mathosia into one of the greatest empires Telara has ever known, and from the humblest of beginnings. Tragically, it was also the very beliefs that eventually tore them apart.

The Bahmi are the curious and reclusive denizens of the Rhaza'de Canyons. Their elemental ancestors, the Shalastiri, arrived on Telara through a rift from the Plane of Air at the time of the first Blood Storm Wars. Led by their prince, Bahmi, they proved invaluable warriors in the fight against the dragon gods.

The Eth are a tribe of humans who adapted to the harsh southern deserts by becoming master survivalists and taming their environment through magic. During the Blood Storm Wars, this inquisitive and fiercely scholarly race discovered a means to harness sourcestone as a fuel for eldritch war machines. After the construction of the Ward and the return of peace to Telara, these proto-technologies saw application in all areas of life. Yet the Vigil soon demanded that sourcestone technology be abandoned. Though it meant being cast from the gods’ sight, the people of Eth refused. In spite of the Vigil, they further conquered their environment and built an empire of conglomerated city-states ruled by brilliant sorcerer kings. The power and influence of the Eth spread throughout Telara, fueled by the wonders of sourcestone.

Within the dense jungles of the Kelari Isles, rebel Elves carved sprawling magical cities from the limestone, bonding powerful spirits to every structure. They built great temples to appease this ever-expanding population of spirits and demigods, and their cities expanded from the temples, mirroring spiritual and natural phenomena. Though Kelari settlements never matched the sophistication of the Eth city-states, they had their own spirit-crafted wonders and luxuries.[/release]

[release][h2]Classes & Callings[/h2]

In the Ascended class system, Soul Attunement is the player’s ability to commune with the souls of Telara’s honored dead and gain their powers and abilities. Souls are the classes in Rift: Planes of Telara, each with a full set of abilities and a class tree. Players choose one soul at character creation, and can eventually take on up to three souls within a particular calling. There are over 1300 possible class combinations.

The soul tree advancement is very similar to that of World of Warcraft's.

[h2]PvP Souls[/h2]

Every Calling has access to a special PvP Soul. Each such Soul boasts a suite of skills and abilities specially tailored to enhance the natural PvP advantages of its Calling.

PvP Souls work much like all Souls in RIFT. Include a PvP Soul as part of a build and divide points between the three Souls as normal. The other two Souls determine your play-style, much like in a PvE build, while the PvP Soul has all the goodies you need to help your character dominate those chumps across the battlefield.

PvP Souls are available to any player with a certain amount of Favor, while Prestige Rank determines how many points you can invest in a PvP Soul tree. The more you engage in PvP combat, the more you can hone your character into the perfect engine of victory.[/release]

[release][h2]Player versus Player[/h2]

RIFT™ boasts four Warfronts, instanced battlegrounds with cross-server queuing where players will meet to destroy each other. Each Warfront is fought over a unique resource or advantage and features innovative mechanics to keep the blood flowing – both in your veins and out of the enemy’s. Victory is its own reward, but PvP loot in RIFT is pretty rewarding too. From the moment you first take on the enemy faction, you’ll begin earning currency, loot, and upgrades.

[h2]Warfronts[/h2]

Black Garden

Maximum team size: 10
    Minimum player level: 10
    Victory condition: Collect 500 points (by holding the Fang of Regulos or killing players) within 20 minutes

When Telara’s defenders destroyed Regulos’s body, they sealed his Fang in a shrine at Black Garden to keep it out of the hands of cultists. Both Defiant and Guardians feel they should take exclusive ownership of the Fang, as the other faction is clearly unfit to safeguard such a dire relic.

Both factions must race to seize the Fang of Regulos, but the relic itself has a malign twist: the longer a combatant holds the Fang, the more it erodes his body and soul, dealing damage that increases over time to become nearly unbearable. This makes the carrier easy prey for his enemies, but each side gathers points the longer they hold the Fang. The side with the most points within twenty minutes wins the battle.

The Codex

Maximum team size: 15
    Minimum player level: 20
    Victory condition: Collect 1,000 points by holding vital positions, OR the most points in 20 minutes

The monks of Thontic have long guarded ruins where the powerful and dangerous mysteries of the Eth are buried. The Defiant were thrilled when one of their archaeological digs uncovered archives that held one of the most powerful of these secrets. Yet before they could extract and utilize the material, the silent monks alerted their Guardian allies, who attacked immediately.

Now, opposing forces struggle to control the dig site by posting the most guards at several important tactical locations. While the central Codex itself is worth the most points, the Vault, the Statue of Thontic near the Guardian camp, and the Translation Scope close to the Defiant position are also worth taking.

Whitefall Steppes

Maximum team size: 15
    Minimum player level: 30
    Victory condition: Capture 3 Sourcestone, OR the most enemy Sourcestone within 20 minutes

The Storm Legion overran two neighboring villages, dragging off the townsfolk as slaves of Crucia. In so doing they left behind a handful of Sourcestone idols that could give the owners an edge in the war for Telara. Both the Defiant and Guardians have arrived on the scene and captured some of the Sourcestone, and each seeks to capture the other side’s supply without losing any of their own.

Similar to a game of Capture the Flag, Whitefall Steppes features teams of Ascended defending their cache of Sourcestone while trying to steal the precious mineral from their enemy’s base. Teams can only capture Sourcestone when their own supply is secure, and the first side to capture three idols, or the most idols within the allotted time wins the battle.

Port Scion

Maximum team size: 20
    Minimum player level: 50
    Victory condition: Accrue 1,000 points, OR the most points in 45 minutes, OR slay the enemy commander

Once Port Scion was the pride of the Mathosian Empire, perhaps the richest city in Telaran history. Now it is overrun by the undead, forcing both Ascended factions to fight each other as well as hordes of walking corpses if they hope to capture this grand city for themselves.

This huge Warfront offers Ascended plenty of challenges and many ways to help their team. Heroes might strike at the Endless Court presence, destroy fell idols to the dragons, or wear down the other faction’s guards. Truly bold Ascended can assault the enemy camp and try to assassinate the enemy high commander, whose death signals defeat for his faction.[/release]

[release][h2]Instances[/h2]

Telara is a vast world, with diverse landscapes and a rich history, boasting no shortage of deep caves, hidden strongholds, and crumbling ruins where villains make their lair. Goblins, trolls, and worse emerge from fungus-choked caves to drag passersby screaming into darkness. The enemies of Telara have infested ruined cities, built fortresses in forbidding wastelands, and set fearsome monsters to guard their priceless treasures. In ancient, awful places, blasphemies writhe and slither, waiting to rise up and ruin the world. These dread lairs and secret hideouts are far too dangerous for mere mortals. Only the glorious Ascended have the strength and resilience to brave the caverns and keeps where the dragon cults plot devastation. The goblins must be chased from their stinking holes, and surreal faerie haunts must be cleansed of their wicked occupants. Undead miners dig deep, their picks coming within inches of waking ancient sleepers. Elsewhere, the great dragons themselves strain to escape their elemental prisons. Come learn, if you dare, what rift-born perils lurk in the dark and hidden places of Telara.

Darkening Deeps

Realm of the Fae

Deepstrike Mines

Abyssal Precipice

King's Breach

Iron Tomb

Runic Descent

The Fall of Lantern Hook

[/release]

[release]Media

E3 Trailer

Ascended Class System

Nexus of the Planes

Killing an Iron Tomb Boss

Killing a Deepstrikes Mine Boss
    [/release]

[release][h2]Facepunch Players[/h2]
    FP Name - Server - Faction - Player Name
    (Post in the thread giving me your information and I'll put you on this list)

Tyvak - Laethys - Guardians - Varkore
    Painseeker - Sparkwing - Defiant - Arteus
    {TT}Jesus - Estrael - Defiant - Mutan
    Dashiel - Firesand - Guardian - Alessa
    Acrono - Faemist - Defiant - Varlok
    Pruneyman - Bloodiron - Defiant - Prunoria
    Wingboy - Scarhide - Guardian - Swire
    Merkw00t - Whitefall (EU) - Guardian - Merkwoot
    Doomy - Shivermere - Defiant - Dweia
    Scotty. - Bloodiron - Defiant - Mars
    Veoto - Greybriar - Defiant - Veoto
    Hezzy - Bloodiron (EU) - Defiant - Hezzy
    Ejonkou - Firesand (EU) - Defiant - Aerio
    WarRage333 - Bloodiron (EU) - Defiant - WarRage
    Konakona940 - Icewatch (EU) - Defiant - Elincia
    [/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative x 8Dumb x 8Winner x 6Artistic x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,002 Posts
    this looks neat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Got a mail about upcoming beta, hope I get in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,252 Posts
    I'll keep an eye out for this. It looks like it argues it isn't generic, but I don't know...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #5
    June 2007
    1,072 Posts
    This doesn't look any different from WoW besides a graphical upgrade
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 15Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2006
    718 Posts
    The places shown at the beginning of the gameplay video remind me far too much of WoW. I just don't like the way WoW's colorful happy places look at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    165 Posts
    Rift:
    Mysterious rifts are tearing the world of telara apart... Rifts create doorways for planar invasion, destroying the lands and people of telara, but they may also grant otherworldly power to those brave enough to seize it.

Guild Wars: Nightfall
    Rifts start appearing due to an evil person named varesh conducting rituals that give an evil god (abbadon) more strength. Tormented creatures start teleporting through the rift and destroy the land of elona, but only 1 hero can stand against abaddon and his tormented army.

HMMMMMMMMMMM DOESN'T LOOK LIKE GUILD WARS NIGHTFALL TO ME.

/caps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2009
    2,059 Posts
    this looks bad ass
    like a serious non-cartoon-y version of WoW
    will definitely try this out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    November 2009
    1,616 Posts
    Wait, how do you sign up for beta, I only made an account

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,558 Posts
    Well making a variety of character models is nice, it doesn't really fight the grind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Wait, how do you sign up for beta, I only made an account
    Apparently thats enough. In the email I got it said, make an account and show that you still support us, bla bla.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

12. Post #12
    October 2008
    6 Posts
    Apparently thats enough. In the email I got it said, make an account and show that you still support us, bla bla.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...highlight=beta

no u need to do this stuff in order to be considered
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Ugh, I wont bother with that.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,697 Posts
    Awesome, I got into the beta :buddy:

Really excited to see how the beta is. It will be determining whether I buy it when it is released. Is anyone else in the beta?

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Same :P.

16. Post #16
    Ask me about my everything fetish.
    August 2006
    3,424 Posts
    I hope I get in the beta aswell, unless they already sent all the people who did an email already... in that case I didn't. :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

17. Post #17
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    If you don't get an email, login to your account and look if you can accept EULA at the bottom. Some people never got their email but still got accepted.

18. Post #18
    August 2006
    3,424 Posts
    I don't see anything. Oh well, better luck next time. :unsmith:

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,041 Posts
    I have a VIP key, already preloading the client.

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    I have been trying to get a key for some week on their damn Twitter but was to late every single time and now I got one after I got invited.

21. Post #21
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    I don't see anything. Oh well, better luck next time. :unsmith:
    Are you very interested in the game? I mean do you want to play much or is it w/e?

22. Post #22
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    I've already got my key, signed up like a few months ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #23
    August 2006
    3,424 Posts
    Are you very interested in the game? I mean do you want to play much or is it w/e?
    I am very very very interested in this game, once I read about it in a magazine I kept checking the site for more information and it seems awesome.

I used to play a lot of EQII and this seems twice as good.

24. Post #24
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Exactly what I wanted to hear because I got you a vip key. Check your pm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    Wish I had a VIP key The Classes look awesome.

I got my key from PAX a while back now.

26. Post #26
    August 2006
    3,424 Posts
    :love:

I already said it in the return PM, but you're my hero now.

27. Post #27
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    I'm happy that you're happy.

28. Post #28
    August 2006
    3,424 Posts
    So what are you guys looking forward to? For me it's exploring the world and the characters.

Probably gonna make a high elf ranger or elementalist.

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Exploring, Dynamic world (Its going to be interesting in how it plays out).

Main char is going to be Kelari - Mage - Pyromancer and second Mathosian - Rouge - Assassin/Blade Dancer.

Edited:

Also, lets not forget their soul system.

Skip to 05:34.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,697 Posts
    Probably the questing and exploring is what I'm most excited for. Maybe the PVP, too. I haven't researched much on any PVP aspects of the game, though, but I remember reading there'll be areas meant for it.

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Holy shit.

32. Post #32
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    :smith: I want to play this.

Why won't they send me an invite. :argh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    They said they would send a new batch tomorrow, so maybe.

34. Post #34
    August 2006
    3,424 Posts
    Holy shit.

Holy shiiiiiiiiiii-

35. Post #35
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    They said they would send a new batch tomorrow, so maybe.
    Oh good. Thanks.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,697 Posts
    Does anyone know the rules for the beta? Are we allowed to record videos/talk about it? I remember there was another beta (maybe final fantasy XIV) where if you even talked about it you could get your account banned and beta privileges revoked.

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    Nothing expect saying you are in the beta but the site is ofc down atm when I was going to check to be sure.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,697 Posts
    It's up for me.

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    February 2008
    10,478 Posts
    I meant the forum.