1. Post #401
    December 2008
    172 Posts
    If you really think Rift and World of Warcraft are the "same game", then why wouldn't you simply imagine it as a large expansion that just got released for World of Warcraft that adds a ton of new classes, a ton of new instances, raids, quests, leveling zones, spells, mounts, armor, items, better graphics, etc.?

I don't see why you people like to sit back and say "omg lol its jut like wow y play it?"

You can compare every MMO on the market to another.
    Yea, I was watching a video about Rift, and people were complaining that turning in quests is similar to World of Warcraft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

2. Post #402
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,979 Posts
    I am just kind of disappointed its a straight up rip of a game I quit 2 weeks ago.
    If you like it that's cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #403
    January 2011
    49 Posts
    I am just kind of disappointed its a straight up rip of a game I quit 2 weeks ago.
    If you like it that's cool.
    It's not a rip. WoW got its influences from EQ. I don't see anyone complaining about that. Every MMO borrows things from other ones. The genre is pretty pigeon-holed in that regard, but Rift is NOT a rip off of WoW.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #404
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,979 Posts
    It's not a rip. WoW got its influences from EQ. I don't see anyone complaining about that. Every MMO borrows things from other ones. The genre is pretty pigeon-holed in that regard, but Rift is NOT a rip off of WoW.
    Yes it is. It's the exact same game. They didn't even try to go after the one piece of MMO real estate that is wide open for any developer to take, which is world PVP. Everything from the smallest UI component to the way entire classes work (Assassin is literally Rogue ported over, same with Warden and Resto Druid) is straight from WoW. Not saying it's a bad thing (guess it's a bad thing if you don't like WoW) but to say otherwise is just delusional.

5. Post #405
    December 2008
    172 Posts
    Yes it is. It's the exact same game. They didn't even try to go after the one piece of MMO real estate that is wide open for any developer to take, which is world PVP. Everything from the smallest UI component to the way entire classes work (Assassin is literally Rogue ported over, same with Warden and Resto Druid) is straight from WoW. Not saying it's a bad thing (guess it's a bad thing if you don't like WoW) but to say otherwise is just delusional.
    How the fuck could they not use that dip shit, World of Warcraft uses all the core components of an MMO.
    So how can you not copy wow?

6. Post #406
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,791 Posts
    I'll agree with raidyr to be honest slightly. I wanted to like it but just felt like I've done everything before so It was just impossible to enjoy it.

Then again I seem to get bored of MMOs faster and faster with new releases.

Edited:

How the fuck could they not use that dip shit, World of Warcraft uses all the core components of an MMO.
    So how can you not copy wow?
    Think the main problem is that it's next to impossible to make an MMO now that actually feels like a new game no one has played before.

One plus I'll give this is that from what I played up to (lv25) It is nicely polished, runs nice and looks pretty nice visually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #407
    January 2011
    49 Posts
    So here's my defense to that. The assassin class in Guild Wars had shadowstep before the Rogue in WoW ever did, did WoW copy that? I could name pretty much every single feature in WoW that was included in a game that came before it.

Regardless, this game plays similar to WoW, but it isn't WoW. I've played WoW since release, and the way that they have homogenized classes to the point where they aren't even remotely different anymore is what makes this game a much needed breath of fresh air. You can really determine what you're character turns out like, instead of the three classes in WoW, which are Tank, Heals, and DPS.

8. Post #408
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    Pre-ordered this for release :D

9. Post #409
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,979 Posts
    So here's my defense to that. The assassin class in Guild Wars had shadowstep before the Rogue in WoW ever did, did WoW copy that? I could name pretty much every single feature in WoW that was included in a game that came before it.

Regardless, this game plays similar to WoW, but it isn't WoW. I've played WoW since release, and the way that they have homogenized classes to the point where they aren't even remotely different anymore is what makes this game a much needed breath of fresh air. You can really determine what you're character turns out like, instead of the three classes in WoW, which are Tank, Heals, and DPS.
    I dunno, I just quit WoW so was looking for another time sink. Got in the beta for this and was hugely disappointed to play the same thing. First character was an Assassin, felt like leveling my rogue. Second character was a Warden, felt like leveling my Druid. BG's had the same layout, combat felt the same, the Rifts are cool but everything else is just so much of the same.

I hope you enjoy it though :buddy:

10. Post #410
    December 2008
    172 Posts
    You should probably try out the 20 other classes.
    Though I have not got to play the game yet. :(

11. Post #411
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    9,332 Posts
    is it wrong i like it for that? :ohdear: Mostly the same keybinds, same dungeon feel, same sort of classes, just mixed and matched with slight different playfeels, battlegrounds are easy to understand etc.

And then you know, the target rings below the characters remind me nolstalgicly of LOTRO, the Rifts remind me of Warhammer and some of the armour items remind me of AoC.

That and it runs REALLY REALLY well and looks pretty. :3:

Any other VIP's not got their email yet?

12. Post #412
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,979 Posts
    I haven't gotten mine.

13. Post #413
    July 2010
    5,555 Posts
    I got into the BETA, time ago. It was fucking awesome.

14. Post #414
    January 2011
    49 Posts
    I haven't gotten mine yet either and I'm VIP. :saddowns:

15. Post #415
    i suck big dick. allegedly.
    July 2009
    1,695 Posts
    I'm getting nervous about not getting the invite and it starts tomorrow. |:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #416
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    9,332 Posts
    Yup, no email here neither, im just hoping they ditched it and we dont need it. or something :ohdear:

17. Post #417
    July 2009
    1,695 Posts
    Just asked my friend on Skype and he said he got an e-mail. He even read it to me. ]:

18. Post #418
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    9,332 Posts
    F5F5F5 *Hammers email* Actually, time to check the forums.

Hi Everyone,

Here is a quick update on Beta 6 invitations.

We've found a way to appreciably increase the number of accounts and emails that we are able to process in a batch, and this means shorter wait times for invitations.

Keep in mind that we are still flagging accounts for access and sending invitations in waves, so it may be a little while yet before you receive yours, but we are still on track to have all the invitations sent before the event starts.

We will continue sending invitations out for the rest of today and tonight, and of course, there will be some waves sent during the event to catch anyone who applied a code after the event started.

Thanks for your patience.

19. Post #419
    XCV
    April 2010
    304 Posts
    What the hell makes this worth 15 dollars a month? That's half the monthly cost of my 20mbps internet connection.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #420
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,979 Posts
    What the hell makes this worth 15 dollars a month? That's half the monthly cost of my 20mbps internet connection.
    First off, you pay $30 a month for 20mbps? Holy shit
    Secondly, $15 is about the same price for every MMO.

21. Post #421
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    9,332 Posts
    Eh, why do we have to justify it to you? I dont know, i played WoW for what, 6 years, same price, was the only game i played outside of a few freebee's, so say im getting 40 hours entertainment, and your average FPS game is what, 20? Hours singleplayer at most for a 60$ game?

Adds up for me personally.

What the;- my Gmail account got an invite, but not my VIP account yet.

22. Post #422
    July 2010
    103 Posts
    It's an MMO there are only three real ways for them to make money off the same game for an extended period of time.
    1: Payments over an increment of time (Monthly is the most common)
    2: Micro-transactions (pay 2 dollars and get a helm, shit like that)
    3: Tiered releases (think guild wars, most new content will have to be bought)

It's basically choose your poison.

23. Post #423
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,709 Posts
    Got my email woot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

24. Post #424
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,979 Posts
    nothing here yet :saddowns:

25. Post #425
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,709 Posts
    When I try updating it, it says download file failed to execute. Can you only patch it on beta day or something?

26. Post #426

August 2010
    207 Posts
    When I try updating it, it says download file failed to execute. Can you only patch it on beta day or something?
    Shouldn't be, I got accepted and downloaded/patched everything today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

27. Post #427
    July 2009
    1,201 Posts
    Used an amazon gift card of $45. Pre ordered for $5 with release date shipping!

28. Post #428
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    6,709 Posts
    Shouldn't be, I got accepted and downloaded/patched everything today.
    huh, well I guess I'll have to uninstall and re download then..

29. Post #429
    January 2011
    49 Posts
    I still haven't gotten mine...

:ohdear:

30. Post #430
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    9,332 Posts
    Me neither :ohdear: its making me nervous

31. Post #431
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,979 Posts
    They said some will go out tonight and some will go out tomorrow mid event.

32. Post #432
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,987 Posts
    Me neither :ohdear: its making me nervous
    Seriously? There's still 12 hours before the event.

I'm not too bothered about playing in the betas myself, for once this is a game that I don't want to spoil for myself. The only thing I really want to try is PvP and some of the instances so I don't go in completely blind at launch.

33. Post #433
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    9,332 Posts
    Ah well, im considering changing faction at launch anyway, so thats a bit of a non issue.

Crazy as it sounds, i just want to know my next fix is secured.

34. Post #434
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,987 Posts
    Your character gets wiped after Beta anyway so it was always a non-issue, surely? I won't be able to play the Beta today in any case as it starts literally the exact same time as my raid on WoW this evening, bloody American time zones :sigh:.

35. Post #435
    July 2009
    1,695 Posts
    Finally got my e-mail! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #436
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    9,332 Posts
    but im bored :smith: and every other MMO isn't holding my attention, every rift beta so far has been a sleepless two days of fun, frolicking and fraternising
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #437
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,987 Posts
    Got my invite :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

38. Post #438
    July 2009
    1,695 Posts
    tomorrow is going to be a great day. putting my new computer together and RIFT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #439
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,710 Posts
    This just looks... generic.
    Like there's no hook or anything original at all. The world seems just that generic fantasy setting. Classes are the typical 'Melee/MeleeWithHiding/Caster/Healer' blandness. Pvp isn't anything new. Gameplay looks same as every other mmo out there.
    Races are beyond bland, can they really not think of anything other than elves and dwarves?
    The 'souls' thing seems somewhat interesting, but won't make the game fun.

Many MMOs cannot escape the typical "Go here, kill this, collect X rat butts" fetch quests, but Rift seems to do the user a favor by making unique character models for different kinds of creatures and even for different creatures within a species. For example, during the demo, the producer had to go out and kill a certain number of goblin-looking characters in their village. The goblin-creatures had a unifying visual style -- yellow skin, ragged clothes, etc. -- yet some of the creatures had a unique feature, like a shoulder bag or walking stick so that killing one of them didn't look exactly the same as killing another.
    This doesn't make it any less boring.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

40. Post #440
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,987 Posts
    Like there's no hook or anything original at all.
    No because the Rift concept isn't remotely original.