1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    875 Posts
    I'm just gonna put this out there preemptively: If anyone gets a key and doesn't want it, I'd like to have one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

2. Post #162
    September 2010
    93 Posts
    I gave Beta 4 a try today, first beta I've been invited to.

I haven't played very much of it yet, but my initial impression after about 5 hours is disappointment. I've played other MMO's and I realize that the enjoyment comes at the higher levels, but there are some key issues that I found right off the bat.

Pros:

-It's very aesthetically pleasing. Combat flows well, the environment is rich and expansive, rifts look cool and the enemies are well skinned.

-The soul system is great, and offers a large amount of variation. If you get bored with the abilities and role of one class, you can give different combinations a try.

-The rifts are neat, and I like how they're not competitive, at least early on in the game and on a PvE shard. I stumbled on a few, and everyone was killing things before I even had the chance to click them, but I still managed to get a nice bit of xp and some loot when it was closed. It's a fair concept and everyone benefits from it.

-The dynamic AI is neat. Seeing the various shopkeeps fighting off hordes of monsters while you're turning in quests, finding massive creatures patrolling places, etc.

-The abilities are well thought-out, excluding a few things. Buffs don't cost a lot and can be used often, which is nice.

- The UI is customizable right off the bat, where other games need addons to do it.

Cons:

- Leveling is incredibly boring. It's composed of generic, "Kill X of X" quests, with the occasional "Talk to X" to spice things up. Every once and a while you might even be asked to pickup things from bodies, or activate an item on an object.

- Combat, despite it's nice graphics and replayability with the soul system, is also boring. It's nothing that hasn't been done before, and it doesn't draw me in or make me feel excited to fight things. I'm still planning rotations, pressing hotkeys, clicking on buffs and cooldowns, etc. The same thing I got bored of when I quit other MMO's.

- The way lore is integrated into the game. It doesn't feel like I'm preventing some malevolent demon dragon thing from entering the world, it just feels like I'm doing boring quests with the occasional flashy rift opening up, at which point I just fight 'new' monsters in the exact same way, with a group. Again, this may change later on, but for the first half of the game it seems like the same old good vs evil fantasy themed lore, rehashed with new texts and names.

- Gameplay in general is exactly the same as other games, only with slight modifications. You walk between towns turning in quests, killing monsters that you were told to kill, etc. If a rift appears, you wait for monsters to spawn, and you kill them just like any other monster, they're just more difficult and require group effort. Higher level towns are the exact same as lower level ones, only with more difficult Kill X of X quests, fancier shops, etc. The joy of the game comes from "raids" all the same as it does with other games. Rotations, melee attacks, aoe, hots, dots, pets, mounts, everything is exactly the same as other games, only with different skins and names.

Ultimately, if you're truly bored of WoW or whatever other MMO you played before, then it's not worth the purchase, because you'll just be immersing yourself in a slight modification of what you've already gotten bored of. However, if you haven't played many mmos in the past, or at least haven't gotten bored of the class-based types yet, then you might very well enjoy this game - as it does have it's chunks of originality.

It's a good, stable game, with well done graphics and a fantastic group of developers, but in the end it's only a slight evolution from existing games out there. It is by no means an industry changer, and I highly doubt it will compete with other games once it's officially released, nor will it live up to the hype.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,232 Posts
    I have been playing the beta this weekend, and I gotta say, the presentation of the game so far has been amazing. Yes, it can get a little tiring leveling, but there is that along some point in almost all MMOs.
    If you like WoW, you will like this but with a touch of better graphics, just saying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #164
    If anybody has a beta key they don't want, I'd love to give this game a try. I'm really interested in purchasing this game, but would like to try it first. Anybody got some screenshots of the game on full settings? I'm dying to see what it looks like from the player's perspective.

5. Post #165
    September 2010
    975 Posts
    The launcher is now installing or updating, something like that. Did anybody else's take ages to do this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #166
    January 2008
    645 Posts
    Still no beta invite, hoping for a trial or something if I don't get in any betas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    8,942 Posts
    Anybody got some screenshots of the game on full settings? I'm dying to see what it looks like from the player's perspective.
    Here you go my man:

Screenshots from Beta
    http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5682/rift2011010823331600.pnghttp://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1252/rift2011010823332316.pnghttp://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5315/rift2011010823341513.pnghttp://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4865/rift2011010823441006.png(The '1' on my head is a raid thing.)
    http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1405/rift2011010823503412.pnghttp://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5930/rift2011010823510272.pnghttp://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1245/rift2011010823514487.png
    http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/8662/rift2011010823353255.pnghttp://img810.imageshack.us/img810/7193/rift2011010823360726.pnghttp://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8059/rift2011010823403504.pnghttp://img534.imageshack.us/img534/3672/rift2011010823405814.pnghttp://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7412/rift2011010823423204.pnghttp://img266.imageshack.us/img266/214/rift2011010823410737.pnghttp://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2010/rift2011010823413340.png
    Screenshots from me and mah friend.

Crappy tiny movies coming later

Beware, for doombringer colin will be there

Feel free to ask/request more

Edit - End of Beta vid
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    8,942 Posts
    Went to the First instance, Fae something, anyway, the Blizzard effect in the mountain IS AWESOME
    http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2931/rift2011011017142451.png

9. Post #169
    October 2009
    5,059 Posts
    Thanks, I was really into WoW untill I lost my internet connection around the beginning of december, and I have recently bought a new a lot powerfull computer so I am going to pick this game up at release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    8,942 Posts
    Just bumping with some content from the previous beta, Full instance show of Realm of the Fae, going through all 4 seasons of the world, before finally killing the final boss.

11. Post #171
    October 2009
    1,847 Posts
    I got a code to the last beta, but couldn't use it as I was out of town until that beta ended... GODDAMNIT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    February 2008
    1,164 Posts
    This looks promising. Too bad switching MMOs is one of the things on my list of things I hate doing.

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    8,942 Posts
    So i'm one of the few that subscribes to 2-3 mmo's at any one point.

I'm odd i guess. Not had a beta invite yet for the 25'ths - 28ths test, i hope i do anyway.

Edit - i was just given a 25man VIP Key for the rest of the betas, im thinking i might have to share some keys here for you all? ;)

14. Post #174
    i suck big dick. allegedly.
    July 2009
    1,695 Posts
    I got my invite for the upcoming beta event. I'm pretty damn excited.

15. Post #175
    March 2010
    2,562 Posts
    How much is the price of this? tba?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Tunisia Show Events

16. Post #176
    January 2008
    528 Posts
    keys gone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #177
    March 2010
    2,562 Posts
    I gave Beta 4 a try today, first beta I've been invited to.
    Snipped so that I wont have to quote your entire post. And I blame WoW for this.
    I have been playing SWGemu the last couple of days and, really, all what WoW brought was a stereotype of mmos that every developper is trying to copy. WoW only kileld the good ones. :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Tunisia Show Events

18. Post #178
    July 2009
    1,695 Posts
    Snipped so that I wont have to quote your entire post. And I blame WoW for this.
    I have been playing SWGemu the last couple of days and, really, all what WoW brought was a stereotype of mmos that every developper is trying to copy. WoW only kileld the good ones. :/
    Most MMOs kill themselves since they come right out of the gates claiming to be the WoW-Killer.

You can't kill something that's had 6 years of time to develop and patch while released new content when you JUST started.

19. Post #179
    November 2010
    352 Posts
    This looks like World of Warcraft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #180
    Ask me about my everything fetish.
    August 2006
    3,497 Posts
    Actually this is a MMO with lots of gameplay elements from old games like Everquest combined with the ingenuity of modders which WoW combined and perfected to a certain degree. Now RIFT is going to add things to that recipe to try and improve it.

Calling something a WoW 'clone' or saying that it looks like WoW would be right, but remember that there were games before WoW that Blizzard looked at and combined, that's what Blizz is good at. :keke:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #181
    March 2010
    2,562 Posts
    Maybe, but right now people dont clone EQ, they clone WoW.... their loss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Tunisia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    Ask me about my everything fetish.
    August 2006
    3,497 Posts
    Making MMO's isn't cheap, it's most likely the most expensive game genre to develop and support.

I'm not saying this game is good or bad, but you have to understand that in the end it's just a developer trying to bring their game, something they worked on for years, to an as big a public as possible, so they look at WoW and try to see what they can improve on and give their unique twist to it.

If you want something original (if it comes to fantasy MMO's) wait for Guild Wars 2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

23. Post #183
    November 2009
    1,962 Posts
    I got a beta invite. We should get a group together of people who are in the beta.

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,716 Posts
    Just curious, was in the last beta phase, do we start from scratch again every time?

25. Post #185
    January 2010
    76 Posts
    Just curious, was in the last beta phase, do we start from scratch again every time?
    From what i've been told, characters will carry over until beta 7 or 8 and then those characters will be wiped for the headstart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,716 Posts
    From what i've been told, characters will carry over until beta 7 or 8 and then those characters will be wiped for the headstart.

sounds reasonable.

27. Post #187
    October 2009
    5,059 Posts
    Im ready for Phase 5

28. Post #188
    April 2010
    1,278 Posts
    I got my key from curse, have to redownload the client though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

29. Post #189
    March 2010
    1,438 Posts
    Are there any beta keys going atm? I'd like to try Rift...

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    8,942 Posts
    Are there any beta keys going atm? I'd like to try Rift...
    Check your PMs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

31. Post #191
    March 2010
    1,438 Posts
    Everyone rate this guy hearts, he's awesome.

Although, I checked my email literally the minute after I'd applied my code, and lonebehold, I got a beta invite half an hour earlier...

My mate still used it though, so thank you <3

32. Post #192
    July 2009
    611 Posts
    Anything else you need to do after adding a beta-key to your account?

33. Post #193
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    8,942 Posts
    Anything else you need to do after adding a beta-key to your account?
    After adding the key just F5 your email box till you get an invite, accept the EULA on trion's website and you're done
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

34. Post #194
    January 2008
    645 Posts
    Are they giving keys for the next beta already? If so, then I haven't got one... damn my luck with betas in Mmorpgs.

Scratch that, thank you so much kenji!

35. Post #195
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    Not sure if this was posted;
    http://beta.incgamers.com/Giveaway/1...a-key-giveaway

Go to that website, at the bottom click the whatsit, forgot what it says.
    You get a code, copy paste it into the "Apply code" section on the rift website (account management).

You'll get into every beta until release, 7500 are being given away, already used mine so I can't post loads down, but if you go there within the next few days you're guaranteed to get one.

Just visit the website, click the button at the bottom and copy/paste, don't even need to give details.

36. Post #196
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    8,942 Posts
    I also, have another 10~ Beta keys to give away.

So, As you seen above me and my friend did alot of recording, He just became a father, worked on the last vid that we did, its a commentated PVP match

Thumbs up and views are very appreciated :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,716 Posts
    I don't think he received a single heal either?

38. Post #198
    July 2009
    1,695 Posts
    So excited for Tuesday.

39. Post #199
    January 2010
    76 Posts
    Wish tuesday would come faster, i want to try out my new mage trees.

40. Post #200
    January 2008
    528 Posts
    I just want to try the game, I got into beta 4 but I was away for the week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)