1. Post #1
    August 2010
    41 Posts
    lets say i bought left 4 dead at a store, would i have all the materials and models in gmod?
    in other words, do i need to buy the game on steam for the materials and models or can i get them from a box-copy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,420 Posts
    There's no such thing as a "non-Steam" Valve game.

If you buy Left 4 Dead in a store Steam would be packaged inside with it.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,350 Posts
    The version you buy on a disc IS the Steam version.

But L4D isn't supported normally anyway, you'd need to use an addon called gm_mount2

4. Post #4
    April 2010
    1,574 Posts
    lets say i bought left 4 dead at a store, would i have all the materials and models in gmod?
    in other words, do i need to buy the game on steam for the materials and models or can i get them from a box-copy.
    I searched for the exact same thing the other day, you need to goto this thread: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=896910

5. Post #5
    August 2010
    41 Posts
    The version you buy on a disc IS the Steam version.

But L4D isn't supported normally anyway, you'd need to use an addon called gm_mount2
    l4d was an example

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,987 Posts
    There is no such thing as a non-steam VALVe game, not legally anyway. If you're talking about doing so illegally then you can kindly fuck off.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,013 Posts
    -snip- Rate me bad reading.

Answer to your question is: Yes. After buying a boxed copy of a valve game from any game store, the game is registered to your steam account on install. You can mount it in Gmod.

But you might need an addon called Gmount 2 to mount left 4 dead and left 4 dead 2 files on Gmod because I don't think they are mountable by default.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,614 Posts
    There is a such thing as a non-steam VALVe game, you know the original half-life.

9. Post #9
    November 2007
    529 Posts
    There is a such thing as a non-steam VALVe game, you know the original half-life.
    ... which isn't a source engine game. And, you can activate it on steam by entering the CD key.

10. Post #10
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,139 Posts
    ... which isn't a source engine game. And, you can activate it on steam by entering the CD key.
    Cs 1.6 uses GoldSource as well and it's the first steam game ever.

Since we're talking hypothetically, no, I don't think such thing would work. And mow some lawns to buy the damn game, they're not so expensive anymore.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,013 Posts
    Hes just asking will he be able to mount his boxed copy version of L4D on Garrysmod.

Or do only online bought games work with Gmod.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,624 Posts
    Aren't there a few source non-steam games though? Those Dinohunters and a few others

13. Post #13
    February 2009
    1,827 Posts
    Hes just asking will he be able to mount his boxed copy version of L4D on Garrysmod.

Or do only online bought games work with Gmod.
    When you install a boxed copy, the first thing it does is install steam, no boxed copy is non-steam, in fact the only people who say they have a non-steam copy are pirates trying to tip-toe around the phrase pirated copy.

14. Post #14
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,420 Posts
    Last I checked, Valve made all HL1 installations move to Steam for multiplayer.