1. Post #2721
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    July 2006
    7,049 Posts
    Focusing on happiness based wonders helps too, all of them give massive happiness boosts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #2722
    October 2008
    3,308 Posts
    What about when you start no where near luxury resources? I mean if you don't start on the coast with a river you're immediatly at a disadvantage, then you add luxury resources on top of that?
    Maybe it's just because I play with strategic balance for luxury resources, which means that luxury resources are always found in patches of 2-3 tiles close to eachother, so if you spread out a bit you can have 3 unique luxury resources + 5-6 of them to trade with other nations. Makes wars for gaining the monopoly of a luxury resource or breaking another nation's monopoly fun, too!

3. Post #2723
    April 2012
    5,253 Posts
    I decided to play a game as Japan.

Apparently all the other civs decided it was "Invade Japan Day".

I was not informed of this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 36 (list)

4. Post #2724
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,426 Posts
    One of the best features I think is that most treaties/research agreements can only be signed if you are specifically friends with another empire. This will make wars so much more meaningful and diplomacy that much easier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2725
    September 2009
    1,831 Posts
    Couldn't someone just mod the AI so diplomacy issues are less obvious ? Or is the AI hardcoded ?

6. Post #2726
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,029 Posts
    I'm pretty sure there are mods that change the AI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #2727
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Me and my dad both finally have Civ 5 :D we play together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12Winner Winner x 2 (list)

8. Post #2728
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,807 Posts
    Me and my dad both finally have Civ 5 :D we play together.
    Now wipe him from the face of the Earth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 3 (list)

9. Post #2729
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    19,829 Posts
    Now wipe him from the face of the Earth.
    10 years from now, they'll be in a nuclear stalemate on a ruined planet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Funny Funny x 18Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2730
    December 2010
    2,499 Posts
    I never liked the happiness system either. Its really hard to maintain early on.
    Yeah, it feels like too artificial of a limiter on expansion. Total War has it through Squalor, but that takes a lot longer to build up than unhappiness does.

11. Post #2731
    "In addition, you cannot vote for yourself in the UN Vote, so relations with other leaders are important too."
    But what if it's between a massive you and two tiny nations? Presumably you can abstain, but if you have more than 1/2 of the vote then it's impossible to diplo win?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #2732
    Honestly, while I think the game should have a good SP, I'm still hoping to get the most out of it on MP. I mean, that's where politics can really shine. I've heard there was a patch incoming with the release of gods and kings to fix MP's problems, is there any truth to that?

13. Post #2733
    April 2012
    5,253 Posts
    In my current game I am what I like to call "The Enlightened Savages". Constant assaults from the Arabs, the Ottomans, and the Russians have basically left me unable to do much other than remained blocked in on my little section of the continent, constantly pumping out units and upgrading our military tech. At this point, the Arabs have been wiped out, the Ottomans have like one colony, and the Russians have spread like weeds and like to send a small garrison of troops into my territory every so often.

I've only been able to survive because of a mix of well placed Citadels and the Bushido passive (which, I might add, is awesome).

Also the fucking Egyptians have like 1200 points and just reached the the industrial era seriously fuck those guys even though they're one of the few people who haven't tried to invade me.

14. Post #2734
    October 2008
    3,308 Posts
    But what if it's between a massive you and two tiny nations? Presumably you can abstain, but if you have more than 1/2 of the vote then it's impossible to diplo win?
    There's always City-states to shift the balance.

And if there aren't, odds are you're going to pull off a domination victory anyway.

15. Post #2735
    August 2009
    709 Posts
    Does anyone know if there will be any good players livestreaming Gods and Kings when it's released? I'm holding off on buying it for a little while and would love to see it played in the mean time.

16. Post #2736
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,066 Posts
    There's always City-states to shift the balance.

And if there aren't, odds are you're going to pull off a domination victory anyway.
    Disable domination victory, only enable diplomatic victory, then take over the world before the vote?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

17. Post #2737
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,867 Posts
    Continuing my glitched save. I've started an advance into the massive New Incan Empire, quickly capturing their capital at Madrid and cutting the Empire in half. They still stretch from basically Moscow to the edges of the Pacific, encompassing most of Russia and Central Asia.

The Iroquois are making gains on China in Central Europe and Scandinavia. Russia continues to loom over, however.

Russia has also depleted their supply of Nuclear weapons on Beijing and the major cities of the Songhai in Central Africa. I should probably take advantage of this and attack while they're trying to restock.

Persia continues to hold all of North America. I've no clue how I'll ever push him out of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

18. Post #2738
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,066 Posts
    Nukes.

That should be your default answer to every stubborn situation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #2739
    October 2008
    3,308 Posts
    Does anyone know if there will be any good players livestreaming Gods and Kings when it's released? I'm holding off on buying it for a little while and would love to see it played in the mean time.
    http://www.2kgames.com/blog/let-s-pl...amp-kings-live

You're welcome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

20. Post #2740
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,807 Posts
    Playing as Korea right now and I've already reached Education at 835AD, I have +54 Science and I'm generating +49 Gold.

And to top it all off, I was incredibly lucky to spawn on a continent all to myself, so I have no competition for resources.

This is going to be a fun match
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #2741
    September 2009
    12,098 Posts

So I allied myself with the Iroquois and we have been splitting up France and China throughout the game. I razed two French cities and I'm already captured Shanghai. Siam and Russia hate the shit out of me but they cannot do jack squat because they have the massive Iroquois Empire to go through to get me.

My civ has been untouched by war and I have the largest city in the game to my knowledge. I allied myself with almost all of the maritime city-states so my cities are flooded with food. I have Piety and Tradition fully searched and now I continue with my patronage policy which stacks up even more on my leader's city-state bonus. My deterioration is now at -0.37
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #2742
    August 2009
    709 Posts
    Shame he's awful at the game. Celts look awesome though, pleases me greatly.

23. Post #2743
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,807 Posts
    Behold Glorious Korean Empire.

The fact that Pyongyang is in the North is just a happy coincidence   

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

24. Post #2744
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Finally I created and awesome Empire as the Chinese. Great infrastructure, income and science points. Nobody is really threating me because I am the mightiest nation on the planet.

I am going for a scientific victory, although I am amassing an army because the Arabs are really expanding a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #2745
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,426 Posts
    3 hours guys. 3 FUCKING HOURS.

26. Post #2746
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,807 Posts
    3 days for me...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

27. Post #2747
    July 2008
    3,468 Posts
    Midnight release? Fuck yea.

28. Post #2748
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,117 Posts
    Wonder if I can VPN to activate early like I did with Deus Ex HR.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #2749
    December 2011
    917 Posts
    Thread becomes dead all night because everyone is playing Gods & Kings.

30. Post #2750
    June 2009
    4,053 Posts
    Well, I pre-ordered it, steam says I own it. But it isn't in my DLC tab and none of the content is in the game either. Is this happening for everyone?

31. Post #2751
    July 2008
    3,468 Posts
    Restart steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #2752
    June 2009
    4,053 Posts
    Restart steam.
    As soon as it restarted, Civ V began to update. Thanks for the help!

33. Post #2753
    December 2011
    917 Posts
    Restart steam.
    Basically this for anyone who is having troubles with the game not updating or playing.

Edited:

So.. Is the game crashing on startup for anyone else?

Can't even get to the intro cutscene.

Edited:

Seems to be an issue with DX11, DX9 mode works fine.

34. Post #2754
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    773 Posts
    Basically this for anyone who is having troubles with the game not updating or playing.

Edited:

So.. Is the game crashing on startup for anyone else?

Can't even get to the intro cutscene.

Edited:

Seems to be an issue with DX11, DX9 mode works fine.
    Shit works fine for me.

35. Post #2755
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,320 Posts
    Nukes.

That should be your default answer to every stubborn situation
    I was trying to capture a city, and they had so fucking many tanks, so i dropped a nuclear missile on the tanks, and accidentally destroyed the city i was trying to capture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

36. Post #2756
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,033 Posts
    today I tried Civ5

today I found another game I need

today I played Civ5 for 7 hours straight
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

37. Post #2757
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    991 Posts
    i really like that you can create and customise your own religion. makes it so much better than civ 4's system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #2758
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,158 Posts
    Does it seem to take minutes for the "next turn" button to be click-able or to actually do what it says, the whole game feels retarded (in the literal definition) and really disrupts the flow of play and makes a whole turn pointlessly longer simply because the button won't function.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #2759
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,768 Posts
    Often at turn 150-200+ it takes a good minute to get back to me after I end my turn.. It seems to get better after I minimize the fog-of-war, though.

So what's the verdict on Gods&&Kings? Is the game fixed???!!

40. Post #2760
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    Often at turn 150-200+ it takes a good minute to get back to me after I end my turn.. It seems to get better after I minimize the fog-of-war, though.

So what's the verdict on Gods&&Kings? Is the game fixed???!!
    i don't see how their can be a "verdict" after like 3 hours. perhaps first impressions would be nice though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)