1. Post #2641
    Go make yourself a fucking waffle.
    April 2012
    3,291 Posts
    I love it when there are still barbarian brutes out there and I have my mechanized infantry
    I played at the highest difficulty and barbarians will gain techs as you gain them
    barbarian stealth bombers and aircraft carriers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21Winner Winner x 3 (list)

2. Post #2642
    December 2010
    2,552 Posts
    Do you guys have any general advice or tips to get a leg up on the AI? I do alright on Prince difficulty but it feels like the AI always slowly takes the lead.

3. Post #2643
    September 2011
    1,541 Posts
    I played at the highest difficulty and barbarians will gain techs as you gain them
    barbarian stealth bombers and aircraft carriers
    I consider those to be Somali Pirates at that point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

4. Post #2644
    April 2012
    5,315 Posts
    Do you guys have any general advice or tips to get a leg up on the AI? I do alright on Prince difficulty but it feels like the AI always slowly takes the lead.
    Invading a lesser country/nation/city-states sometimes works.

I also tend to chose to make research agreements with Weaker/Lesser Nations instead of those who are on more even footing as me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #2645
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Are those city-states any worth to invest in or maintain relations?

I never bothered with it, it felt like a waste of ressources.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2646
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,786 Posts
    Are those city-states any worth to invest in or maintain relations?

I never bothered with it, it felt like a waste of ressources.
    If you've got good cash flow it's worth it.

7. Post #2647
    April 2012
    5,315 Posts
    Siam and Patronage also make it worth it.

Siam has that natural city state relationship modifier, and Patronage means you're essentially getting a whole lot more bang for your buck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #2648
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    What do you get out of it anyway, I befriended once a military state, but it gave some catapults and musketmen. Although I already had mechanized infantry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

9. Post #2649
    April 2012
    5,315 Posts
    What do you get out of it anyway, I befriended once a military state, but it gave some catapults and musketmen. Although I already had mechanized infantry.
    Maritime and Cultural provide food and culture, respectively. They also add whatever they've got within your borders (Oil, Iron, Cotton, etc) to your trade route.

It's a good way to quickly appease your people or help fund a war effort.

They also make handy fronts and staging points during wars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #2650
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,949 Posts
    Luxury resources are a nice bonus, particularly if one of your cities is demanding them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #2651
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,958 Posts
    I typically befriend the ones near me like a kind of backup, especially military ones, during big wars those otherwise useless units become critical. Cultural ones give a handy bonus, and sometimes luxury resources from city states are the difference between happy and unhappy.

I got the explorer's map pack today, anyone else have troubles in the Amazon map? I can't seem to be successful with all the jungle and marsh.

12. Post #2652
    April 2012
    5,315 Posts
    Also, the last part of the Patronage Policy allows City-State allies to spawn great people, which can often times help you raise the level of influence you have with other city states inadvertently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #2653
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts
    I'm going to see what this "causing all nighters" is about and start a game later on this evening and see what hour of the morning I'm awake till

14. Post #2654
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,786 Posts
    I'm going to see what this "causing all nighters" is about and start a game later on this evening and see what hour of the morning I'm awake till
    Huge map, marathon speed, ancient era start, disable all victories except domination.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #2655
    December 2011
    933 Posts
    Huge map, marathon speed, ancient era start, disable all victories except domination.
    Turning all nighters into all weekers!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

16. Post #2656
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,860 Posts
    I always get the cultured city states for an extra culture boost and military states nearby for extra troops.

I only befriend a city state if they have resources I want, like a good source of iron or a lux I don't have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #2657
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts
    I'm not going to do it on marathon speed because that just gets annoying, but I'll probably do the rest.

18. Post #2658
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,114 Posts
    I usually just annex all the citystates I find, but then all the AI hates me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2659
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    Yeah, so it's not exactly Civ 5, but I installed Civ 2 earlier and this is actually way more in-depth than I'd first thought. Got mulched in my first game on easy difficulty because the bloody Sioux wouldn't stop asking me for my technology then paradropping my cities. Gave up when I actually read through the Civilopedia and saw how many advances and bonuses I could've had if I'd only made some wonders.

20. Post #2660
    August 2009
    1,514 Posts
    Yeah, so it's not exactly Civ 5, but I installed Civ 2 earlier and this is actually way more in-depth than I'd first thought. Got mulched in my first game on easy difficulty because the bloody Sioux wouldn't stop asking me for my technology then paradropping my cities. Gave up when I actually read through the Civilopedia and saw how many advances and bonuses I could've had if I'd only made some wonders.
    And you can melt the damn ice caps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #2661
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,541 Posts
    That's exactly how I play this game now. Marathon may require 25 turns to build a road but I think it's the most interesting way to play once you get the ball rolling in a match. Gives you plenty of time to strategize and you really feel like you're building a powerful civilization from the ground up.

Remember: "Rome wasn't built in a day", afterall.

22. Post #2662
    October 2010
    10,388 Posts
    I played on that, it was on the normal difficulty (or 1 higher can't remember), want to know how long it lasted?

10 days.

10 GODDAMN DAYS.

I played ATLEAST 2 hours every day, 1 day I put 6 hours into it.

Edited:

That's exactly how I play this game now. Marathon may require 25 turns to build a road but I think it's the most interesting way to play once you get the ball rolling in a match. Gives you plenty of time to strategize and you really feel like you're building a powerful civilization from the ground up.

I always get worker speed improvements when I can, pyramids, the first upgrade in Honor, among other things.

23. Post #2663
    July 2008
    3,641 Posts
    Just bought Gods and Kings. I'm ready.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

24. Post #2664
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    1,415 Posts
    Holy shit, fuck you imageshack.

Just finished playing as Rome on Archipelago. I started on a small-ish semi-tundra arctic island at the far edge of the map. Having literally no contact with anyone except for one city state and Japan (who was sending out scouting ships everywhere). I started with 36 tiles of land, ended with 5 gold deposits, 4 fur camps, 2 ivory camps, 12370 culture, 17 happiness and 26720 gold while gaining 30 of it per turn. I turned the island into a fortress (even though I didn't really need to) and put Infantry in several Forts around the cities. There was a huge citadel overlooking a lake to the front. I had two landmarks, 6 great persons and had had 4 - 5 golden ages.

Go to take a picture, Imageshack says it's too big and deletes it from my computer. What the hell.

25. Post #2665
    December 2010
    2,552 Posts
    Just an update on sales, Gods and Kings is 25% off again for today at Green Man Gaming (http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/e...-v-gods-kings/). Figures it goes by to a 25% discount like the day after I bought it.

26. Post #2666
    April 2012
    5,315 Posts
    Mine was.

Speaking of Rome. Won a time victory as a mostly warlike Roman empire. Exiled the Russians with the help of Ghandi, before he betrayed me and had to be purged from my land. Russians spent the rest of the game sitting roughly in the renaissance age on two small islands and Ghandi spent most of the time dead.

I did eventually destroy them to make a front for the invasion of Germany (and also they had oil) for the war me and Napoleon declared war on Germany because they were getting close to going into space.

Our combined strength was enough to to leave them with a single colony positioned right next to a hostile city state. Immediately after taking the German homeland, Napoleon betrayed me which was inevitable because I was planning on doing likewise.

We basically left the entirely of the devided Germany a nuclear wasteland before finally making a peace treaty to lick our wounds. I won the time victory after that, but I decided to keep playing.

Germany is currently sitting with their one colony, still attempting to build their rocket off this planet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #2667
    September 2009
    2,077 Posts
    Mine was.

Speaking of Rome. Won a time victory as a mostly warlike Roman empire. Exiled the Russians with the help of Ghandi, before he betrayed me and had to be purged from my land. Russians spent the rest of the game sitting roughly in the renaissance age on two small islands and Ghandi spent most of the time dead.

I did eventually destroy them to make a front for the invasion of Germany (and also they had oil) for the war me and Napoleon declared on Germany because they were getting close to going into space.

Our combined strength was enough to to leave them with a single colony positioned right next to a hostile city state. Immediately after taking the German homeland, Napoleon betrayed me which was inevitable because I was planning on doing likewise.

We basically left the entirely of the devided Germany a nuclear wasteland before finally making a peace treaty to lick our wounds. I won the time victory after that, but I decided to keep playing.

Germany is currently sitting with their one colony, still attempting to build their rocket off this planet.
    watch out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #2668
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,595 Posts
    I really like it when a city state goes to war with another player. askia was invading a city state with horsemen and swords, I gifted the city state infantry, artillery, and tanks and askia got its ass kicked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 14Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #2669
    April 2012
    5,315 Posts
    brb destroying the last of Germany.

Which reminds me, I need to check to times for when that movies coming out in Canadaland. Seems like at least a few good movies are going to be coming this summer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #2670
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    So I'm on my second playthrough, I have a question.

At the beginning of the match I selected Earth as the map and good ol' America as my nation. I set it to have players start where they'd be geographically correct or whatever, for some reason I started out in Brazil, the Ottomans started out in Missouri, and Japan started in Poland. The only one that was where it should be was Egypt, along the Nile, and the other 4 were close enough.

Is that feature just broken? I tried re-starting the game 4 or 5 times but every single time I'd be dropped off in the same place in South America, so I gave up and just continued playing. I started this playthrough before Gods and Kings was out and I still haven't gotten it yet (holding out for $20 sale because I'm cheap), does it include a fix for this?

31. Post #2671
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,738 Posts
    I really like it when a city state goes to war with another player. askia was invading a city state with horsemen and swords, I gifted the city state infantry, artillery, and tanks and askia got its ass kicked
    I wish city states would expand at least a little bit by themselves
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

32. Post #2672
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,824 Posts

At the beginning of the match I selected Earth as the map and good ol' America as my nation. I set it to have players start where they'd be geographically correct or whatever, for some reason I started out in Brazil, the Ottomans started out in Missouri, and Japan started in Poland. The only one that was where it should be was Egypt, along the Nile, and the other 4 were close enough.

Is that feature just broken? I tried re-starting the game 4 or 5 times but every single time I'd be dropped off in the same place in South America, so I gave up and just continued playing. I started this playthrough before Gods and Kings was out and I still haven't gotten it yet (holding out for $20 sale because I'm cheap), does it include a fix for this?
    I think it's based more on the geographical nature of their real world counter parts rather than the their actual location.

33. Post #2673
    December 2011
    933 Posts

Yeah the feature doesn't put you exactly where you should be, it's "Culturally linked start locations", what ever that means.

34. Post #2674
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,595 Posts
    I wish city states would expand at least a little bit by themselves
    When I finally did invade askia, my city state allies took a few cities. The problem is they raze the cities so I have to end up annexing everything. At that point in the game, I was just steamrolling everyone since askia and washington were barely advanced because they spent their resources prolonging a pointless war against napoleon, who was also bankrupted by the war and was the first I steam rolled

35. Post #2675
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,845 Posts
    Holy shit, fuck you imageshack.

Just finished playing as Rome on Archipelago. I started on a small-ish semi-tundra arctic island at the far edge of the map. Having literally no contact with anyone except for one city state and Japan (who was sending out scouting ships everywhere). I started with 36 tiles of land, ended with 5 gold deposits, 4 fur camps, 2 ivory camps, 12370 culture, 17 happiness and 26720 gold while gaining 30 of it per turn. I turned the island into a fortress (even though I didn't really need to) and put Infantry in several Forts around the cities. There was a huge citadel overlooking a lake to the front. I had two landmarks, 6 great persons and had had 4 - 5 golden ages.

Go to take a picture, Imageshack says it's too big and deletes it from my computer. What the hell.
    How does imageshack have permission to delete files from your computer?

I'm no computer wizard but that doesn't seem to make much sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

36. Post #2676
    September 2009
    2,077 Posts
    So after taking a good chunk out of Germany (playing as Japan,) I eventually settled a peace treaty with them so I could clean up the fallout around Berlin(i captured that shit.) I was playing on a Continent map and Germany practically had a whole continent to themselves (only other thing there was Almaty.) I had sent Askia back to the stone age by taking his capital and 2 of his cities during my samurai rush (I had a fuckload of samurais, it was awesome.)

I noticed Gandhi had started to move in on Askia's new capital which was some little shitty city next to the coast. Throughout the whole game, I'd been the big bad Japanese general who always killed other Civs and had a fuckload of money. i said "fuck you" to Gandhi and waged war on his ass. (Gandhi was somewhere in between the Renaissance era and the industrial, i was in the modern era. Ghandi had one hell of a navy, although his shitty little Frigates and Caravels were no match for BATTLESHIPS. however, Gandhi was prepared. By the time i had torn apart his Navy, his riflemen and artillery had ripped down the junky walls of Askia's new capital. However, his infantry stood no chance against my modern infantry and I easily took back the city. Askia was now pretty happy I'd join the fight against Ghandi, but he still hated me after all those denunciations and me taking his capital. I moved out all my soldiers and gave the city back, aswell as 2000 gold (i had 40k on my belt, mind you.) This made him even happier.

I didn't stop there, though.

Using my money, I bought around 4 atom bombs and sent a modern infantry towards the capital of India. India wasn't completely defenseless though, they sent out a fuckload of cavalry and started shelling my one unit. In seconds, the lone APCs were surrounded by countless soldiers aswell as being bombarded by the capital of India. The modern infantry went down fighting as their silhouettes were blasted by the fire of all 4 atom bombs, taking over 3 cavalry, 3 workers and 4 infantry with them. I sent a couple more modern infantry and the capital was mine. Being the good-deed doer I had become, I sent the capital over to Askia, right after scrubbing out all the fallout. Askia become friendly after hundreds of years of hostility towards me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12 (list)

37. Post #2677
    January 2011
    1,169 Posts
    and that's why I love Civ V

38. Post #2678
    April 2012
    5,315 Posts
    All glory to the nation of the rising sun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #2679
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,114 Posts
    Being a Civ IV and V veteran, should I have much trouble if I try to play Civ II, or is it mostly the same concepts and controls?

Edited:

All glory to the nation of the rising sun.
    Japan is my favorite nation to play as.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #2680
    Go make yourself a fucking waffle.
    April 2012
    3,291 Posts
    civ 3 was so weird to me because when I first played it, I was used to aoe and other non-turn based strategy games
    I was in the medieval era with hoplites while the persians and indians threw infantry and artillery at me I didnt know what was going on