1. Post #1
    Wingless is awesome. Also, View my site
    February 2010
    5,836 Posts
    Don't you hate it when you JUST deleted a important prop in your construction part buy accidentally hitting the Z key?

I do.

Why not a redo key? Is it so hard?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree x 74Bad Spelling x 3Winner x 2Dumb x 1Late x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,392 Posts
    I bound my undo button to save, and then redo. So that if I fuck up, I have a save ready.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner x 14Useful x 4Agree x 2Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    14,649 Posts
    i totally agree with this.

there should also be a button for undo last action DETAILED EDITION. so instead of just deleting props, it undoes the last action. so lets say i completly messed up posing an arm which made it so that some of my props whent haywire. press x or some other key and it undoes that pose...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,357 Posts
    YES! I've always wanted a redo button in GMod :frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2010
    71 Posts
    There's a few problems. How would you "redo" a prop movement without somehow undoing every last physics effect it has caused since it was moved? Also, how do you define "redoable"?

This would be good for NON-physics based effects- like color.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    December 2009
    714 Posts
    Then you could make a script that constantly redoes and Undoes props,causing the server to crash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,852 Posts
    Shit yes. Wanted for ages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #8
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    Then you could make a script that constantly redoes and Undoes props,causing the server to crash.
    You can already crash servers with the console if you know what you're doing .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 6Agree x 4Informative x 1Disagree x 1Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    September 2010
    32 Posts
    Advance Duplicator... it brings back what you worked on earlier
    even if you undone everything

I worked on my "mansion" construction which I actually took 2 - 3 sessions to complete

you can save an in-progress work and continue the next day

or having your construction done without rebuilding everytime you play gmod
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    August 2008
    491 Posts
    This works alright.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Useful Useful x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,860 Posts
    This would fucking useful (like deleting small thrusters with the remover tool, andthen accidently shoot your creation)

But imagine you undo a vital part of your construction and everything comes down, I can understand it would be hard to code an undo button for such cases. Perhaps it'd save the positions of the parents, but then I think undoing will make your game freeze for half a second or so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    June 2010
    489 Posts
    I'd find this infinitely useful...

I'd also like an undo for the Remover tool - because frequently I try to remove lots of small objects, and misclick, and remove the big object they were on...
    This especially makes me rage if it was multi-parented - if you remove the parent, the "children" get removed too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,794 Posts
    I think it would be buggy on tools that hasn't come with garrysmod.
    Because I think you would have to recall all the variables that was once on that constraint/spawned entity, like the constraints position and other variables.
    It would also be laggy with multiplayer servers because it would have to send a bunch of data to data files.

If you're tired of accedently undoing shit, just unbond the z key and use the menu to undo shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    November 2009
    201 Posts
    Don't you hate it when you JUST deleted a important prop in your construction part buy accidentally hitting the Z key?

I do.

/thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    March 2010
    4,538 Posts
    This works alright.
    Should be implemented.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    June 2010
    489 Posts
    Because I think you would have to recall all the variables that was once on that constraint/spawned entity, like the constraints position and other variables.
    It would also be laggy with multiplayer servers because it would have to send a bunch of data to data files.

If you're tired of accedently undoing shit, just unbond the z key and use the menu to undo shit
    Good idea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #17
    September 2009
    272 Posts
    Cliffy B. of the Unreal engine company has a make better button. Can we get one of those?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

18. Post #18
    BmB
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,569 Posts
    Those aren't complaints. Those are Gmod in a nutshell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    January 2010
    2,402 Posts

:toot:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    March 2009
    1,876 Posts
    i totally agree with this.

there should also be a button for undo last action DETAILED EDITION. so instead of just deleting props, it undoes the last action. so lets say i completly messed up posing an arm which made it so that some of my props whent haywire. press x or some other key and it undoes that pose...
    Do you have any idea how much ram this would take up

It would be like saving the entire game every second and having to load it up again instantly...

Edited:

I do.

Yes, actually, it is that hard.

Unless you just want to put a prop back with the same constraints.

If you want to redo it like if you drop a frozen ragdoll's arm or something, you are out of luck. No rewinding of time here.

21. Post #21
    I'm dumb! You don't have an excuse!
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    No rewinding of time here.
    host_timescale -1? :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

22. Post #22
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    host_timescale -1? :P
    That's not even funny. You shouldn't joke about stuff like that. Travelling backwards in time isn't possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    That's not even funny. You shouldn't joke about stuff like that. Travelling backwards in time isn't possible.
    In the documentary "Back to the Future", Marty McFly went back in time 30 years.

Get your facts straight, fella.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    You really are no fun whatsoever, are you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

25. Post #25
    December 2009
    965 Posts
    When you undo it should save this information:
    Where the prop was before deletion (X, Y, Z)
    Where it was pointing (X, Y, Z)
    How many constraints it had
    Which props it was constrained to
    What constraints it was (rope, weld etc)

Before using the redo button, it should check if the prop it is going to weld/constrain to exists and that player has the access (Prop Protection) to weld it there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,962 Posts
    Is the Redo addon incredibly reliable for most (if not all) props? I'd like to know before getting it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

27. Post #27
    September 2010
    32 Posts
    In the documentary "Back to the Future", Marty McFly went back in time 30 years.

Get your facts straight, fella.

off topic

Speed of light is absolute... 3 X 10^8 m/s

or... 300,000,000 metre/second... or 1,080,000,000km/hour

so when you accelerate... the speed of light stays constant
    why is it you view things as per normal ? --- time slows down

when your speed reaches speed of light... time stops

when you travel faster than speed of light... time reverse

unfortunately you have to split yourself into atoms in order to move
    at speed of light... the G-force at that speed would be beyond human body's limit to handle

on topic...

it would be cool if there is a time bar... starting from the start of the server... then it allows you to scroll back the events

for example... a fort war game... forts destroyed...
    then simply scroll backward and fight another war without rebuilding
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events Informative Informative x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    unfortunately you have to split yourself into atoms in order to move
    at speed of light... the G-force at that speed would be beyond human body's limit to handle
    Which is why you create inertial dampeners :science:

29. Post #29
    September 2010
    32 Posts
    Which is why you create inertial dampeners :science:
    even with the g-force solved... how about finding a device which
    can propel you to the speed of light... it aint 88km/hr

it's 1,080,000,000 km/hr... and you have to break the speed of light
    to reverse time

railgun projectile travelling at 1% of that speed vapourized in the air
    due to friction... there is no way to perform time travel on earth
    unless you have a large vacuum chamber enough to accelerate from

0 to 1,080,000,000km/h... and enough fuel to propel that
    :science:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FLIES FETISH
    August 2009
    31,546 Posts
    This works alright.
    one of the comments.

... is there a download for Undo.... cuz i accidentally binded Z for a purpose other than undo... Plz help if you know the bind script for undo or a download thx
    Haha, oh god. He is so dumb.

For those disagreeing with me, you can rebind keys in options. Click default/ type in console/ or just look for it in controls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    August 2010
    2,840 Posts
    well. the particle accelerators nowadays can get one atom to move at the speed of light. with the current speed of discovery I think traveling at the speed of light, maybe even beyond will be possible. just think. space shuttle launched into space. space IS a total vacuum. so in there it could reach the speed of light without frictional problems. Can't wait to see this happen. can't wait to see the star-trek series become reality in some ways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    even with the g-force solved... how about finding a device which
    can propel you to the speed of light... it aint 88km/hr
    You're right. It's 88 mph. :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    September 2010
    335 Posts
    this is a good idea, but how would you get ragdolls and stuff back to the position they were at? that, and it would work well on multiplayer sandbox servers

34. Post #34
    September 2009
    272 Posts
    well. the particle accelerators nowadays can get one atom to move at the speed of light. with the current speed of discovery I think traveling at the speed of light, maybe even beyond will be possible. just think. space shuttle launched into space. space IS a total vacuum. so in there it could reach the speed of light without frictional problems. Can't wait to see this happen. can't wait to see the star-trek series become reality in some ways.
    We care about time travel in a gmod thread about a redo button.

And the gmod.org link to the redo button works quite well even though i don't make mistakes. Just wanted to try it :)

35. Post #35
    July 2009
    6,138 Posts
    And how do you plan to accelerate in said vacuum?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    July 2010
    384 Posts
    :airquote:The Time Machine - H.G. Wells -:airquote: The Time Traveller traveled somewhere 800,000 A.D. , and when he found the time machine again, he traveled back to his own time.

NOT THE MOVIE THE BOOK!!!

Ontopic, a redo button sounds nice...

37. Post #37
    Wingless is awesome. Also, View my site
    February 2010
    5,836 Posts
    How about the CLIENT goes back in time, but not the SERVER.

It could work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #38
    diaoyudao shi ZHONGGUO de
    December 2007
    4,094 Posts
    Wrong - they've gotten an atom to 99.9% of the speed of light. As you accelerate to velocities closer to c, you require more energy based on mass exponentially (which is why we can accelerate an atom but not a spaceship). To accelerate to c means a massive object needs an infinite amount of energy. Accelerating to > c means a massive object needs more than an infinite amount of energy. Of course, stuff like neutrinos that have no mass, or particles that begin at the speed of light don't apply.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,566 Posts
    How about the CLIENT goes back in time, but not the SERVER.

It could work!
    Uh no. This is easily possible with a simple detour and usermessages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    September 2010
    335 Posts
    i like how nobody cares about OP, but about time travel :science:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)