1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,125 Posts
    [h2]Hey guys, let's try focusing on the book. Makes it easier to distinguish between spoilers. And speaking of spoilers, if spoiler tagging, specify if it's a book spoiler or show spoiler.[/h2]

[release][h2]Season 2: April 1, 2012[/h2]
    What we know so far:
    - Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell.
    - Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth.
    - Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth.
    - Oliver Ford Davies as Maester Cressen.
    - Stephen Dillane as Stannis Baratheon
    - Carice van Houten as Melisandre of Asshai.
    - Karl Davies as Alton Lanniester.
    - Gemma Whelan as Yara (Asha) Greyjoy.
    - Nonso Anozie as Xaro Xhoan Daxos.
    - Tom Wlaschiha as Jaqen H'ghar.
    - Roy Dotrice as Pyromancer Hallyne.
    - Hannah Murray as Gilly.
    - Ben Crompton as Eddison Tollett.
    - Michael McElhatton as Roose Bolton.
    - Robert Pugh as Craster.
    - Laura Pradelska as Quaithe.
    - Forbes KB as Black Lorren.
    - Patrick Malahide as Balon Greyjoy.
    - Daniel Portman as Podrick Payne.
    - Lucian Msamati as Salladhor Saan.
    - Ian Hanmore as Pyat Pree.
    - Ralph Ineson as Dagmer Cleftjaw.
    [/release]

[release]
    [h2]Summary:[/h2]

Game of Thrones is an HBO series. It is an adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire, a series of epic fantasy novels written by American author George R.R. Martin. The series was jokingly tagged as "The Sopranos in Middle-Earth." That should help give you an idea of what it's like if you've never read the books.

Plot:
    The television series is expected to follow the multiple storylines of the A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels closely, and author Martin has stated that the pilot script was very faithful to his work. Set in Westeros where "summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime," Game of Thrones chronicles the violent dynastic struggles among noble families for control of the Iron Throne.
    Main Cast:
    Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon
    Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy
    Sean Bean as Eddard "Ned" Stark
    Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
    Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jaime Lannister
    Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
    Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark
    Aidan Gillen as Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish
    Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon
    Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont
    Kit Harington as Jon Snow
    Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister
    Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark
    Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen
    Richard Madden as Robb Stark
    Rory McCann as Sandor "The Hound" Clegane
    Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark
    Maisie Williams as Arya Stark
    [/release]

[release][h2]Media:[/h2]

Iron Throne

Throne

"Clip Preview," but I like to call it a teaser.

"Raven" teaser:

"Winter is coming" teaser:

Behind the scenes featurette
    Designing food for the sets.
    Designing the sets themselves.
    On costume design.
    George R.R. Martin- Bringing Game of Thrones to HBO Featuring Really Bad Audio Why Do I still have these in this post - Part One - Part Two - Part Three

[/release]

[release][h2]Interviews:[/h2]

Interview with John Bradley-West, playing Samwell Tarly
    Early on in the filming you indicated you hadn’t read the book, but relented somewhere along the way. Were you reading the novel while you were still filming? Did you find it helpful to your performance?

I did read the book while I was in the later stages of filming. Mainly because I started to get very curious about the story in the broader picture. By that time there was nothing more I could bring to Samwell. Decisions had been made and I stand by those. Relationships founded and attitude and motivation set in stone. I knew the character from my research into it and from the multitude of clues that were in the script both in dialogue and directions. With writing that good, each sentence contains so many indications as to everything an actor needs to form a character and performance.
    I studied Samwell’s lines with the forensic attention to detail they deserved. The writers decided to keep, expand upon, disregard, tone down or refine different elements of the character as he appeared in the book. I trusted that they had made the right decisions with regards to these elements and I accepted their intentions for the character and set about working with what I had.
    As filming began to wind down I allowed myself to read the book properly eventually. I had never been privy to episodes one and two. I was not in them, never received them and wasn’t present at the read through. Being able to read it knowing who each of the characters were going to be portrayed by was a luxury that I reveled in. voices bounced off the page. Sean IS Ned and Kit IS Jon, etc.
    Because the books are obviously more detailed in description and exposition than the scripts, the decisions in casting especially were affirmed tenfold in my mind. The book really did make my mind melt at the thought of the size of the task at hand for the production designers and visual effects people. George’s glorious lack of restraint in terms of depth and number of characters, breathtakingly specific but at the same time sweeping and imposing geography and at the same time a deeply human and perfectly motivationally valid story can only be applauded by all who read it.
    I’m glad that I didn’t get too wrapped up in the book before I took to the role because the scripts have all the power in terms of what is seen on the screen. I’m glad I finally read it because it does confirm that the choices made by everybody involved with the show appears to be correct. I will do the same with A Clash of Kings just to fill in the gaps for me. It is a genuine part of my method. All drama is in detail I think. Its about being clear in your intention and relationships. If you attempt to match the size of the story and world as a whole in your performance then you will appear arrogant and imposing I think. Draw every scene down to what is happening IN THAT MOMENT. That is my way of working.
    Interview with Martin himself:
    Ryan: How closely involved are you in the making of the show? I know you’re writing the eighth script, is that correct?

Martin: My deal calls for me to write one script this season. It's script eight this year and next year, I’ll do another one if we get another season. I really can’t do more than that because I still have the [next 'A Song of Ice and Fire'] books to write. The books take an enormous amount of time. There’s a part of me that would love to be more involved than I am involved, attending the meetings and all that, but I can’t. Even if they wanted me, which I’m not sure they would, but I can’t. So my level of involvement is great. I have a great communication with David and Dan and with the people at HBO and I certainly feel like I’m part of the process, but they’re the showrunners and the buck stops with them, not with me.

Language creator David J. Peterson:
    GD: What kind of rules did you consider when creating the Dothraki language — without anything but an imagined history to work from, where did you begin? And how difficult was it to work with words and structure Martin had already created in the book?

DJP: My goal, from the very beginning, was to create a language that looked and felt like the small number of snippets present in the books. There wasn’t much to work with (about thirty words, most of them names – and male names, at that), but there was enough to suggest the beginnings of a grammar (for example, there is strong evidence of noun-adjective order, as opposed to the adjective-noun order found in English). That was my starting point: Everything that appears in the books had to remain intact, since the books are canon.

In order to get going, I took down all the words in the books and extrapolated a phonology (a list of sounds with which to create words). I had some fun with it, though. For example, in all the words and names in the four published books, the letter “u” occurs only after “q”, suggesting a [kw] sound, and once on its own in the third book, though I believe that’s a misspelling (the City of Bones, Vaes Tolorro, is referred to once in the third book as Vaes Tolorru [and it happens in speech in a moment of passion; Ser Jorah may have just screwed it up]). I took that opportunity to leave the vowel [u] out of Dothraki entirely, giving it a four vowel system.

After I settled on a sound system, I extrapolated a morphological system. Some elements had to be maintained (for example, in the books, we see “dothraki” for the people [plural], “Vaes Dothrak” for the Dothraki city, and “dothrae” meaning “rides”. This suggests that /-k/, /-i/ and /-e/ are somehow involved in the paradigm for the stem “dothra-”), but for the most part, I was free to run wild. After I had a fairly stable morphology (verbal paradigm, case paradigm, and derivational morphology, in particular), I set to work on the best part: creating vocabulary. For that, the main inspiration came from the books. These are warriors that spend a lot of time with horses, have a kind of aversion to salt water, and disdain walking on foot. Just those ideas are enough to give rise to a thousand words or more. If I ever needed further inspiration (especially for guidance on how a pre-industrial culture views the world), I’d delve into my Hawaiian language materials. (A question I once found myself pondering: Does Hawaiian have a native word for “boring”? It turns out it does: manakā.)
    [/release]

Personally, I'm very excited. I've been completely hooked on the novels ever since I heard the two new Blind Guardian songs that are based on them.

This is also my first go at a megathread. Hopefully it was satisfactory. I plan on updating it as information becomes available.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,141 Posts
    If Sean Beans in it I will watch it for the craic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events

3. Post #3
    March 2009
    1,775 Posts
    Ooh, a fantasy thing being produced by an actual TV network.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #4
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    This will be amazing... especially since it's on HBO.

The books are great.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,125 Posts
    This will be amazing... especially since it's on HBO.

The books are great.
    They really are. I'm actually still on the first one myself. Like I said in the OP, I only recently found out about them.

6. Post #6
    June 2010
    783 Posts
    Ooh, a fantasy thing being produced by an actual TV network.
    Um, they're not the first.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    Except Legend of the Seeker was beyond terrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

8. Post #8

June 2010
    314 Posts
    Bought the first book when my PSU exploded while playing dragon age. Too bad by the time I received it I got my pc back and never looked at it again.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,125 Posts
    Tossed a couple interviews into the OP. They were both pretty lengthy so I only quoted the parts that seemed to focus the most on the show. If it's not apparent enough, click the titles for the full interview.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,309 Posts
    Heard about this show a couple of weeks ago. Looks pretty good. And it has Sean Bean :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

August 2007
    3,017 Posts
    Fucking looking forward to this :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,125 Posts
    Tossed in three more videos (or one big long one depending on how you look at it) and shameless self-bump.

Great, I just realized that the audio on the new videos I added is awful.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,376 Posts
    That show was a terrible adaption of the book. (Wizards First Rule)

Except it wasn't.
    All the good things about the book were taken out or changed to all hell. For example in one of the episodes in the first season, they meet the Sisters of the Light and they are portrayed as kind friendly people. In the book they were basically evil and were not even revealed until late into the second book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

14. Post #14
    Very Jelly Despicable Douchebag
    January 2007
    11,273 Posts
    Except Legend of the Seeker was beyond terrible.
    Except it wasn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,997 Posts

LOL that's not the first either.

This Game of Thrones actually looks like it has potential though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,125 Posts
    Xena always depressed me.

Dunno why.

17. Post #17
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    Ugh. Fantasy doesn't work in live action, in my opinion. It just turns into sword battles and fireballs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,803 Posts
    Ugh. Fantasy doesn't work in live action, in my opinion. It just turns into sword battles and fireballs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lor...s_film_trilogy

:raise:

Lots of sword battles but it works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    Looking forward to this a lot.
    It'll probably be the first mature fantasy TV series ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,125 Posts
    Looking forward to this a lot.
    It'll probably be the first mature fantasy TV series ever.
    Thanks for the bump and making me realize that there was new stuff about it. I never wanted to bump this without something new to post and I think I just forgot to keep checking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    I do what I can. :D

22. Post #22
    Propane Nightmares
    May 2007
    8,860 Posts
    This looks absolutely brilliant, I heard about it today. Anything with Sean Bean in is instantly awesome, but the rest of the cast look good too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    6,970 Posts
    Cool, a show to tie me over until The Walking Dead comes back.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,058 Posts
    Bumping this thread, the series pilot will air on April 17th in the US, 18th in the UK on Sky Atlantic. The release date for A Dance With Dragons also got revealed, July 12th. Six years of wait, almost over.

Also: my views on the dogs they're trying to pass as direwolves in the show:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/795329/Stark%20wolves.PNG
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2011
    313 Posts
    I am halfway trough the book, it gets complicated at times though. There are like so many characters, and some even have the same names. Somtimes i'm like, wait what, who just did what with who where and who did they do it to?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,376 Posts
    Bumping this thread, the series pilot will air on April 17th in the US, 18th in the UK on Sky Atlantic. The release date for A Dance With Dragons also got revealed, July 12th. Six years of wait, almost over.

Also: my views on the dogs they're trying to pass as direwolves in the show:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/795329/Stark%20wolves.PNG
    I want a tamaskan dog now :smugdog:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,058 Posts
    I am halfway trough the book, it gets complicated at times though. There are like so many characters, and some even have the same names. Somtimes i'm like, wait what, who just did what with who where and who did they do it to?
    I honestly ignore most minor lordlings like Pipers or Crakehalls or Brackens etc, as I can't recall their first name

It's what the higher-ups do in the book though, so it's fairly realistic

Edited:

New trailer: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/ga...s-new-trailer/

Longest one yet, and uses a generic trailer sample for music. Heh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,125 Posts
    I was gonna update this thread tonight but looks like Zez took care of it a week ago so I get to go to bed since it's 6:23 am so goodnight k bye

yeah but i'll update op tomorrow fuck im tired

or like later today if you wanna get technical

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,125 Posts
    Ok updated with a new interview, new trailers, and the release date. Yay.

So anybody got any recommendations - preferably legal ones - on how I should go about watching this since I don't get HBO anymore?

30. Post #30
    Propane Nightmares
    May 2007
    8,860 Posts
    I cannot wait for this! It looks so immersive and well made.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,376 Posts
    I am half way through reading A Game of Thrones and many people are calling it better than Lord of the Rings and other such fantasy books.
    I would have to disagree, it's not better per se but it's good in it's own way. This book cannot really be compared as it's not really adventure fantasy.

32. Post #32
    Propane Nightmares
    May 2007
    8,860 Posts
    Anyone been following the Character Features on the YouTube channel? They're awesome.

Also, new teaser:

Edited:

Less than a month to go!

33. Post #33
    March 2011
    313 Posts
    While reading the book I was wondering how they are going to implement the sex scenes without getting sued for containing child pornography.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

34. Post #34
    April 2010
    2,495 Posts
    First 14 minutes are online!

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?...&autoplay=true

Edited:

While reading the book I was wondering how they are going to implement the sex scenes without getting sued for containing child pornography.
    I remember reading that they upped the age of Dany in the HBO version. Also, the actors are over 18, so there doesn't seem to be a legal problem.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,058 Posts
    Yeah all characters were aged a couple years, Robb and Jon are now 17, close to 18. Robb looks too old in my opinion.

Also, some nitpicking:

What I did not like:
    No head kicking
    No Waymar Royce vs Other sword fight (and we'd get to see his sword shatter and armor get sliced like butter)
    No strangling
    No climbing to the tree to escape, it was strange how Will (it wasn't even Will in the book, was it?) managed to escape, seeing as how he had collapsed on his knees and all.

What I liked:
    Jon was good, Bran was alright and Arya was awesome.
    The Wall looked good.
    Overall the show has a nice feel.
    HBO let me watch the preview, although I'm not in the US.

Nitpicking:
    Others were kinda wrong, IMO. While I liked how violent they were, and their voices DID sound like cracking ice, the way they butchered the wildlings and Gared didn't seem like a good way to get Wights.
    Winterfell isn't like I imagined, at all. I hope my mental image won't get ruined.
    The snow beyond the Wall looked very fake, it was obviously just sprayed with hoses and it had no obvious marks of where the wind would blow from etc. But I suppose most viewers wouldn't notice or care, and it's a minor gripe.
    The North isn't flat enough

But I suppose the changes are there to make the show work, as without god-tier CGI the Others would look pretty cheesy if they were like they were in the book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,309 Posts
    Hah, the older guy with the beard in the beginning of the preview is the same guy who played the hammerhead crewmember in Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3.

Neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

37. Post #37

September 2009
    809 Posts
    Looks absolutely amazing. I will defnitely be watching this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Chile Show Events

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,376 Posts
    Well the book was very disappointing but maybe it will work better as a television series. (I liked the 15 minute preview)

39. Post #39
    January 2008
    811 Posts
    This is great! I can't wait for this, mainly because I read books 1-4 ages ago and can't remember a damn thing about them.

40. Post #40
    March 2011
    313 Posts
    Well the book was very disappointing but maybe it will work better as a television series. (I liked the 15 minute preview)
    How did the book dissapoint? I thought it was pretty amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)