1. Post #1
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    The purpose of this thread is simple. It's for those that have quick questions regarding on anything computer or perhaps electronics related, where a thread is not necessarily required.

The reason of why such thread is created is to help reducing forums from being cluttered with threads on minor questions which tends to be ignored, as well as keeping other threads on topic such as the "Computer Illiterate think they know things" thread, where the thread have practically became a helpdesk request thread.

If you have any quick questions, such as "Can my computer run this game", or "How do I turn off automatic defragmentation", feel free to ask them here. If you have any questions that may require more opinions, diagnosing issues or is more complex opposing to a fast question along the lines of "What are some pros and cons over buying a GTX480 over the Radeon HD 5870", or "My computer BSODs when I plug in blah blah blah, and would not restart. Please help me diagnose my issue", it may be wiser to create a thread in an appropriate section instead. You may ask them in this thread too, but the resulting amount of attention you will receive on your question may be insufficient.

Please be descriptive about your question when possible, rather than saying "my computer does not work how to fix?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 14Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Sigh. I'll just ask here.

Anyone got a clue what's wrong with my monitor?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    9,007 Posts
    This should clear the crud out of the illiteracy thread, thanks binary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    Sigh. I'll just ask here.

Anyone got a clue what's wrong with my monitor?
    To be honest, I'd just conclude that your monitor's controller board is dying. Buy a new one and move on, if it is no longer in its warranty lifeline.

Edited:

This should clear the crud out of the illiteracy thread, thanks binary.
    No problem. I've been waiting for someone to create a thread such as this one for a while now, but no one seemed to be interested in doing so.

Edited:

You may want to add the link of this thread in the OP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #5
    Wnd
    October 2010
    1,601 Posts
    Do you guys know where I can get netbook with com port? I have seen one on lab. Need it for connecting to cisco routers through com port instead of telneting for my ccnp study
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Azerbaijan Show Events

6. Post #6
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    Do you guys know where I can get netbook with com port? I have seen one on lab. Need it for connecting to cisco routers through com port instead of telneting for my ccnp study
    You can't even find a full-size laptop with a serial port anymore. Your best wish is to buy a USB to RS232 converter instead, and they're not expensive at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Wnd
    October 2010
    1,601 Posts
    You can't even find a full-size laptop with a serial port anymore. Your best wish is to buy a USB to RS232 converter instead, and they're not expensive at all.
    It will require drivers and stuff, oh man netbook with com would be real cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Azerbaijan Show Events

8. Post #8
    April 2010
    4,499 Posts
    i want to get an external HDD (with an enclosure ofc) that has eSata and usb2.0 wires to use with it. if possible, when its on usb2.0 i would like it to draw all its power from the usb port, but ill need a plug anyway for eSata as i dont have powered eSata ports. now, is there anything you can recomend to me?

i would like it to be no less than 1tb but if theres a 2tb drive that can run on usb2.0 power that would be great too.

another question about external HDDs, if i bought an enclosure with a usb 2.0 and an eSata cable, could i put my own bare hdd in it and get the same effect?

9. Post #9
    i want to get an external HDD (with an enclosure ofc) that has eSata and usb2.0 wires to use with it. if possible, when its on usb2.0 i would like it to draw all its power from the usb port, but ill need a plug anyway for eSata as i dont have powered eSata ports. now, is there anything you can recomend to me?

i would like it to be no less than 1tb but if theres a 2tb drive that can run on usb2.0 power that would be great too.

another question about external HDDs, if i bought an enclosure with a usb 2.0 and an eSata cable, could i put my own bare hdd in it and get the same effect?
    First one I can't answer, but I have a cheap Rosewill enclosure that works great. Runs on eSATA + USB power, or over just USB if you need to. I got it with a duplicate of my laptop HDD, so I can literally swap them out with nary a care. So yes, you can put your own hard drive in it, as long as it's a 2.5" drive.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,603 Posts

Get one of those dual eSATA-USB cables.
    Like this but for eSATA:

Or you could splice your own by learning which pin delivers which.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Qatar Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    January 2010
    1,716 Posts
    I've got a wndr3300 flashed with generic dd-wrt v24; question might be confusing, sorry if i don't come through clear-

I have a normal netgear router giving out wireless access & internet. I don't have ethernet connection anywhere in the house, so I use the B/G radio in the wndr3300 in client bridge mode, for my computers in my room. I want to know if it's possible to use the B/G radio in client bridge mode BUT ALSO use the N capable radio as another AP for NAS access. I wanna do this because my NAS server is in my room, and want to broadcast a separate wireless N signal that won't be slowed down by any other B/G device.

Is this possible?

12. Post #12
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    It will require drivers and stuff, oh man netbook with com would be real cool
    Are you implying that the build-in com port doesn't requires drivers to operate?

13. Post #13
    December 2009
    8,371 Posts
    What's the font used in BIOS?

14. Post #14
    Wnd
    October 2010
    1,601 Posts
    Are you implying that the build-in com port doesn't requires drivers to operate?
    No it doesn't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Azerbaijan Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    No it doesn't
    Oh wow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

16. Post #16
    Wnd
    October 2010
    1,601 Posts
    Oh wow.
    You are really rude
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Azerbaijan Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    You are really rude
    You call that rude?

Also, you're wrong. All hardware requires drivers to function. If you say they don't, then that's just like saying a car can drive on its own without a driver.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    No it doesn't
    So that's why every time I install Windows I have to install my Wifi drivers before I can get on the Internet.

Edited:

You are really rude
    Just wait until he gets hyped up.

19. Post #19
    Wnd
    October 2010
    1,601 Posts
    Yes, your posts are always rude, and you are all like I'm computer genius, rest of you are dumb. And oh, it doesn't require anything for me to install. If you meant some low-level driver then of course because you always try to find some mistakes on someone's computer related post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Azerbaijan Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    Yes, your posts are always rude, and you are all like I'm computer genius, rest of you are dumb. And oh, it doesn't require anything for me to install. If you meant some low-level driver then of course because you always try to find some mistakes on someone's computer related post.
    Have you ever considered that the driver are already included by the operating system, or is being obtained automatically by the operating system? Just maybe?

And please do tell me what's the difference between a COM port controller that is embedded onto the motherboard's USB bus, and one that needs to be plugged into the USB port manually, assuming both have identicle chipset.

Edited:

Depends on the BIOS vendor, but they're usually proprietary and are hardcoded

21. Post #21
    Wnd
    October 2010
    1,601 Posts
    Okay, you win, I'm dumb kthxbai
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Azerbaijan Show Events Agree Agree x 46Winner Winner x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    I've seen different BIOSes use different fonts.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,352 Posts
    system?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

24. Post #24
    December 2009
    8,371 Posts
    I've seen different BIOSes use different fonts.
    Aaw. I wanted to use it. I guess I'll just look around the menu for something that looks "computery".

25. Post #25
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    May I recommend "Terminal"?

Try bolding it for a more BIOSy look.

I don't know why I was stuck on Lucida Console there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    Wnd
    October 2010
    1,601 Posts
    Have you ever considered that the driver are already included by the operating system, or is being obtained automatically by the operating system? Just maybe?

And please do tell me what's the difference between a COM port controller that is embedded onto the motherboard's USB bus, and one that needs to be plugged into the USB port manually, assuming both have identicle chipset.
    Okay, I sure do know that today's modern computer is really modular and requires drivers for anything to operate. But what I meant by driver is that ones that I had to install manually and my point was wrong because I didn't know com port was embedded onto the motherboard's usb bus. Will pick up one of those convertors then I guess, sorry for being ignorant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Azerbaijan Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    thf
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    3,331 Posts
    "How do I turn off automatic fragmentation"
    :wtc:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    I'm sure he meant defragmentation.

If only it were possible to turn off fragmentation permanently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

29. Post #29
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    :wtc:
    Blame Firefox auto-correction

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,674 Posts
    Best way to keep Minecraft saves between my laptop and desktop in sync?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

31. Post #31
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    9,842 Posts
    You call that rude?

Also, you're wrong. All hardware requires drivers to function. If you say they don't, then that's just like saying a car can drive on its own without a driver.
    Ahem.

Nah, just kidding.
    Anyways, this thread is a pretty damn good idea, an since problems tend to like me you'll probably be seeing me here some times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

32. Post #32
    July 2008
    126 Posts
    I got a new USB yesterday and all the files I put in there are set to read only, I remove the read only attribute but it changes back instantly. Any Ideas?

Its a SanDisk 8gb Cruzer Blade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,240 Posts
    Kind of computer question--
    Do I need special headphones to use with my Xbox? My USB headphones don't work with it.

34. Post #34
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    Kind of computer question--
    Do I need special headphones to use with my Xbox? My USB headphones don't work with it.
    You cannot use a USB headset. You can only use ones that have 3.5mm jacks with certain restrictions.

35. Post #35
    July 2008
    126 Posts
    Best way to keep Minecraft saves between my laptop and desktop in sync?
    You could try this: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=40225

Then run it off a USB stick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

36. Post #36
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,342 Posts
    May I recommend "Terminal"?

Try bolding it for a more BIOSy look.

I don't know why I was stuck on Lucida Console there.
    Or Fixedsys which looks slightly different. Both are in Windows. I believe my phone (HTC Eris) also uses something along the lines of Fixedsys or Terminal for its bootloader.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,482 Posts
    What makes Malewarebytes better than Spybot S&D?

38. Post #38
    April 2010
    4,499 Posts
    First one I can't answer, but I have a cheap Rosewill enclosure that works great. Runs on eSATA + USB power, or over just USB if you need to. I got it with a duplicate of my laptop HDD, so I can literally swap them out with nary a care. So yes, you can put your own hard drive in it, as long as it's a 2.5" drive.
    er, well does it come in 3.5?

39. Post #39
    er, well does it come in 3.5?
    Don't think so, but there's 191 that do on Newegg alone.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,674 Posts
    You could try this: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=40225

Then run it off a USB stick.
    I would prefer to have them synced somewhat like Dropbox, though without the mess of symlinks and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events