1. Post #1
    Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching. ~Scott Adams
    December 2008
    711 Posts

View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2uUaajfsUXw

It's finally here! The sequel to GPK_Freecity, based on Mirror's Edge. Ziplines, red doors and bright colours. It's all in there.

[tab]Screenshots[/tab]
    -----------------------------------------

Full gallery of development screenshots here.

[tab]Usage[/tab]

People are free to use my custom models and materials as long as they give credit to Hiyougami and provide the URL to my site, http://hiyougami.webs.com.

[tab]Credits[/tab]

Thanks go to the following for testing and suggestions:

FusionPentax
    EP1C FLA1L
    Llamalords
    Snowstar
    Renorack
    iJackass
    Nat225
    Deddej
    Roach
    Inter
    Tek

And to these people for resources and help:

Dosycool - Gameplay inspiration
    Sineskeller - In-game music, thanks!
    Philip/3kliksphilip - Mapping explanations
    Everyone at cgtextures.com for textures
    Propsareawesome - Constructive criticism
    Johan/ http://aajohan.deviantart.com - Fonts
    Darkein - Teaser music! (though I wasn't able to contact him)
    Robert Briscoe/ http://littlelostpoly.co.uk - Mapping inspiration , cc & design help
    Magnus Birgersson/Solar Fields - Musical inspiration & usage help

[tab]Download[/tab]

NOTE: This is a zip file containing a DOWNLOAD LINK as well as some bonus content - I had trouble uploading Plaza in its entirety to garrysmod.org, so an alternative file host was the logical way to go. For the impatient: http://www.filefront.com/17522984/GM...ity_Plaza.zip/

It's been ten months, and I'm really very happy to release this for everyone's gaming pleasure!
    If you have any questions, my email is hiyougami@gmail.com.

Enjoy!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 56Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Jaded
    April 2010
    2,200 Posts
    Very nice, can't wait to try it out.

3. Post #3
    September 2010
    511 Posts
    I Love the map, but whenever I enter it, it lags ME SYSTEM LIKE A POT O' GOLD, if ya' know what I mean, matey! My computer is pretty good, as I can run gmod on it's highest settings. I do not know my specs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching. ~Scott Adams
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    I Love the map, but whenever I enter it, it lags ME SYSTEM LIKE A POT O' GOLD, if ya' know what I mean, matey! My computer is pretty good, as I can run gmod on it's highest settings. I do not know my specs.
    This is what I feared. I optimised the map as much as I could, and always kept lower-end systems in mind, regularly sending out alpha versions to many testers on different machines around the world. Unfortunately, due to the nature of Valve's VIS system, a lot more is rendered in wide open spaces than usual.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    September 2010
    511 Posts
    Crap, well thanks.

6. Post #6
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    Crap, well thanks.
    Does the flashlight lag your computer? There's an env_projectedtexture (basically a flashlight entity) in the blue electricals room to give a particular lighting effect, that might be the problem?

7. Post #7
    September 2008
    234 Posts
    So pretty... you have talent, my friend. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2009
    1,147 Posts
    I was playing through it and I saw something moving on a balcony above me. Anyone know what it is?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    December 2009
    897 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mexico Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    I was playing through it and I saw something moving on a balcony above me. Anyone know what it is?
    "Death From Above", my friend. You're happy you didn't see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,488 Posts
    Elaborate on death from above, what was it :ohdear:

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,458 Posts
    Philip/3kliksphilip - Mapping explanations
    Are you seriously thanking, The worst mapper ever?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Zing x 4Disagree x 3Agree x 2Artistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,488 Posts
    Oh my fuck I just noticed that, fuck 3kliks watch my tutorials
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    June 2009
    167 Posts
    I downloaded this yesterday and played through it, I like it.

15. Post #15
    March 2005
    981 Posts
    All of the nice ambient light seems to whitewash its hyperblockiness. The street and kerb in the second screenshot really look bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    Elaborate on death from above, what was it :ohdear:
    Gman running like hell xD

S'cuse me mate? Yes, his old tutorials taught bad habits and nooby methods, but his new stuff is much better (and of course, he isn't the only tut-maker out there). He also lives near me, we share messages over FP.

All of the nice ambient light seems to whitewash its hyperblockiness. The street and kerb in the second screenshot really look bad.
    I kinda agree, that part was originally closed off but I later decided to open it up. However, the curb is rounded at the corners. How may I improve that particular area?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    October 2010
    485 Posts
    Finally cant wait to test it

18. Post #18
    June 2009
    527 Posts
    Don't do this, every time he gets dissed, he shows up in a hissy-fit, then most the mapping community counter hissy-fits. Then everyone ends up banned.

19. Post #19
    February 2006
    3 Posts
    This level looks like Apple designed it lol. But really, it looks extremely nice!
    I do have a question - does it have npc nodes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    April 2010
    93 Posts
    That is AWESOME, I love Mirrors Edge, it looks perfect, really nice map >:D

21. Post #21
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    This level looks like Apple designed it lol. But really, it looks extremely nice!
    I do have a question - does it have npc nodes?
    Unfortunately, no. Only four were placed for Gman to do his thing. I forgot the rest v_v
    Plus, Apple couldn't have gotten anywhere near it. I mean, it doesn't even cost a penny, let alone 2000000000.

22. Post #22
    December 2009
    897 Posts
    an image made with your map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mexico Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    an image made with your map
    Heh, love it! ^^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    December 2007
    1,913 Posts
    You just gave me a flashback on how depressing Mirror's Edge was.

25. Post #25
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    You just gave me a flashback on how depressing Mirror's Edge was.
    At least we get to see some sister hugging action at the end. It's so cute.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,458 Posts
    Don't do this, every time he gets dissed, he shows up in a hissy-fit, then most the mapping community counter hissy-fits. Then everyone ends up banned.
    Ah yes, Dont diss someone because they have a hissy fit...

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,435 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Indonesia Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

28. Post #28
    I know nothing about you but fuck it here's a title
    December 2005
    1,760 Posts
    Oh my god, we're in a dream ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,994 Posts
    The skybox doesn't work for me D: Also great map by the way.

30. Post #30
    September 2009
    272 Posts
    The skybox doesn't work for me D: Also great map by the way.
    Probably your missing Counter-Strike: Source?

31. Post #31
    I like to faps while I make maps
    December 2009
    1,451 Posts
    Doesn't even look like it's the Source Engine (In My Opinion). Nice job on this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    Doesn't even look like it's the Source Engine (In My Opinion). Nice job on this.
    Thank you! :D

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,994 Posts
    Probably your missing Counter-Strike: Source?
    I have counter strike source. Legally. So I'm not sure if it uses a custom skybox er something. I might just re add all the CSS textures into the actual gmod folder. But thanks for trying to help any ways.

34. Post #34
    December 2009
    7,484 Posts
    Great map you got here, very well designed.

I have counter strike source. Legally. So I'm not sure if it uses a custom skybox er something. I might just re add all the CSS textures into the actual gmod folder. But thanks for trying to help any ways.
    Have you tried reinstalling this map? The skybox works fine for me, and I don't have CS:S.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,994 Posts
    Great map you got here, very well designed.

Have you tried reinstalling this map? The skybox works fine for me, and I don't have CS:S.
    I've tryed that. I think I just messed it up by adding Dystopia and Insurgency textures and models to the gmod directory which may have screwed up something. If it still doesn't work then it may be for DOD:S ? Not sure but I will fix it some how.

Edited:

Alright it's fixed now. I knew it was the texture problem.

36. Post #36
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    I've tryed that. I think I just messed it up by adding Dystopia and Insurgency textures and models to the gmod directory which may have screwed up something. If it still doesn't work then it may be for DOD:S ? Not sure but I will fix it some how.

Edited:

Alright it's fixed now. I knew it was the texture problem.
    The likely reason: The skybox texture from your mods didn't have an HDR version, so when you play Plaza in HDR, it dun' work.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,994 Posts
    The likely reason: The skybox texture from your mods didn't have an HDR version, so when you play Plaza in HDR, it dun' work.
    Yea I saw lol. Well it's fixed now so yay ! :)

38. Post #38
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    Yea I saw lol. Well it's fixed now so yay ! :)
    :D
    By the way, everyone, what could I improve about this map? I want to learn from it and make my future projects as spiffy as possible.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,887 Posts
    Awesome
    But , where is the ending ? I found myself lost in two buildings , connected by a tunnel

40. Post #40
    December 2008
    711 Posts
    Awesome
    But , where is the ending ? I found myself lost in two buildings , connected by a tunnel
    No ending. I rushed the last bit, but also - to be honest - it's a multiplayer map, not a singleplayer.