1. Post #1
    July 2009
    6,009 Posts
    1. This week, Arizona-based businessman Jason Hope announced a $500,000 donation to SENS Foundation, a California-based non-profit organization that works to develop, promote and ensure widespread access to rejuvenation biotechnologies which comprehensively address age-related disease.

“I have had great interest in the SENS Foundation and Dr. Aubrey de Grey's work for some time now. I believe their work is essential to the advancement of human medicine and their approach to the overall problem of human aging and its associated diseases (Alzheimer's, Atherosclerosis, Diabetes, etc.) is the only way to go. Their work and the work of others that they support will drive the complete redefinition and reshaping of the healthcare, pharmaceutical, and biotech industries as we know them today. The advancement of rejuvenation biotechnologies is not only extremely important, but it is the future. I am honored to support the SENS Foundation in its efforts, and hope my support helps drive faster results for all of humanity,” said Jason Hope.

2. The 70 year old president of Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbayev, calls on new research institute to concentrate on study to unlock secret of immortality.

There is the possibility that Nursultan Nazarbayev could provide a large amount of funding for SENS and related research. The Kazakhstan government has a $19 billion budget.

3. Peter Thiel Challenged Silicon Valley’s Wealthy to Back “Breakthrough” Philanthropic Causes

Peter Thiel, of PayPal fame, gathered eight of his favorite future-oriented organizations and a couple hundred of his wealthiest friends in an auditorium at San Francisco’s Palace of Fine Arts and made a magnanimous offer. For every dollar attendees contribute to the organizations before New Year’s Day, Thiel’s foundation announced, the billionaire investor-philanthropist will contribute another dollar, up to a limit of $1,000 per organization per attendee.

If everyone who attended Thiel’s so-called “Breakthrough Philanthropy” event gives a full $8,000, Thiel could be on the hook for a lot of money. My own rough estimate is that 200 people were on hand—and 200 times $8,000 comes to $1.6 million. [so another $200,000 per charity could have been donated by the Thiel Foundation]

It was a bold, assertive way to promote the fortunes of these unusual groups, which included the Foresight Institute, Humanity Plus, the Santa Fe Institute, the Seasteading Institute, the SENS Foundation, the Singularity Institute, Singularity University, and the X Prize Foundation.
    Source: http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/12/sen...arch-gets.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Uruguay Show Events Winner x 52Friendly x 8Optimistic x 1Dumb x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,195 Posts
    Awesome.

There's so much more to learn, do and see than you could in a current lifetime, that's why I think life extension is important.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Isle of Man Show Events Agree Agree x 64Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,416 Posts
    Pretty cool, although life extension is a risky path to take, as individuals exist for longer, requiring more resources to keep them alive, a very dangerous game to play in a world that's already struggling to sustain it's existing population. But it's still good good to see that they're using it to find fixes for those afflictions that plague the elderly, as quality is more or less better than quantity 9 times out of 10, especially in terms of the life experience.

If you want my honest opinion, life extension is a science born from the fear of death, as our species has yet to fully discover whether there's an eternal nonexistence ahead of us when we die, or if there's some kind of continuation. Instead of helping us overcome our fear of the end, life extension simply delays the inevitable, coddling us against the eternal darkness that likely awaits all living things at the end of their journey.

What we should be doing is researching whether or not there's such a thing as an afterlife, and if we can't find one after our best efforts fail us, we work towards inventing one, a place where the consciousness can exist forever without fear of oblivion, and without any significant requirements to maintain it.

But back on topic, it's nice to know that there are people who want to help improve the quality and overall length of human life, even if it requires more resources.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 28Dumb x 5Optimistic x 1Useful x 1Artistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,367 Posts
    How about that 500 MILLION that oil company wants to spend on Cheney? Can we use that for this please!

Edited:

Pretty cool, although life extension is a risky path to take, as individuals exist for longer, requiring more resources to keep them alive, a very dangerous game to play in a world that's already struggling to sustain it's existing population. But it's still good good to see that they're using it to find fixes for those afflictions that plague the elderly, as quality is more or less better than quantity 9 times out of 10, especially in terms of the life experience.

If you want my honest opinion, life extension is a science born from the fear of death, as our species has yet to fully discover whether there's an eternal nonexistence ahead of us when we die, or if there's some kind of continuation. Instead of helping us overcome our fear of the end, life extension simply delays the inevitable, coddling us against the eternal darkness that likely awaits all living things at the end of their journey.

What we should be doing is researching whether or not there's such a thing as an afterlife, and if we can't find one after our best efforts fail us, we work towards inventing one, a place where the consciousness can exist forever without fear of oblivion, and without any significant requirements to maintain it.

But back on topic, it's nice to know that there are people who want to help improve the quality and overall length of human life, even if it requires more resources.
    You make it sound like this would be universally accessable, I highly doubt African Tribesmen or Rice Farmers in China or Tow Truck Drivers in the US will be able to afford this. I'm sure you would need to be rather wealthy to afford this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,090 Posts

There are better ways of solving population problems than killing people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    October 2010
    1,436 Posts

Actually, Africa alone, if properly cultivated, could support Earth's entire population if issues such as poor distribution and theft were dealt with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,566 Posts

Once we get the technology to colonize and terraform other planets, overpopulation won't be a problem, which should be reached by the time we successfully create the first anti-age product.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,652 Posts
    All we need to do is pour a couple billion into this and NASA and we are good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,537 Posts
    All we need to do is pour a couple billion into this and NASA and we are good.
    Fuck immortality I just want to go to space
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 26Funny Funny x 6Disagree Disagree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,239 Posts
    Fuck immortality I just want to go to space
    Space is worthless unless you're immortal. It takes millions of years to get anywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34Funny Funny x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2009
    6,009 Posts
    Space is worthless unless you're immortal. It takes millions of years to get anywhere.
    No it does not :colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Uruguay Show Events Disagree x 30Funny x 4Agree x 2Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    I'm Better Than You
    August 2008
    5,498 Posts
    Has anyone figured out banning alcohol and smoking will work?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,288 Posts
    Has anyone figured out banning alcohol and smoking will work?
    But it won't.

If it has to be explained then you just deserve a slap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2010
    561 Posts
    Will solve one or two things with long range space travel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    I'm Better Than You
    August 2008
    5,498 Posts
    "100,000 deaths occur each year due to the effects of alcohol."
    "440,000 deaths each year are smoking-associated"

That's without including all the ones with related to cancer.

16. Post #16
    July 2009
    6,009 Posts

Only half a million? Fuck, I thought it would be more :geno:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Uruguay Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,288 Posts

Congratulations, that makes more people live, not everyone live longer.

Even without alcohol and tobacco people will usually max out their lives about 100, and the proceed to die.

Besides you're determining what people can and cannot do with their bodies, which is fundamentally wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    August 2009
    439 Posts
    Cool! Now I can become immortal and get the most amount of time ever spent on WoW!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    March 2008
    1,574 Posts
    Ho boy oh goody now i can live for 100000014321039412835879125 years doing nothing on my computer to "watch and see what events that might be interesting happening" while replacing my body parts with robot stuff because me living longer is more important than there being new generations of people who have different ideas helping humanity move forward!!!11
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,652 Posts
    I want immortality and cell regeneration. Like a good-cancer that grows stem cells or something. And then I want to give it to everyone and finally we can get to the fucking space age.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,288 Posts
    Ho boy oh goody now i can live for 100000014321039412835879125 years doing nothing on my computer to "watch and see what events that might be interesting happening" while replacing my body parts with robot stuff because me living longer is more important than there being new generations of people who have different ideas helping humanity move forward!!!11
    Who's to say the current generations aren't capable of making new ideas? and who says people won't still have kids?

Seriously why the fuck do people look on immortality negatively? You'll eventually be able to go around the solar system at least just moseying around colonising shit and generally being a space bad ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

22. Post #22
    April 2010
    2,543 Posts
    Once we get the technology to colonize and terraform other planets, overpopulation won't be a problem, which should be reached by the time we successfully create the first anti-age product.
    This

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,288 Posts
    I want immortality and cell regeneration. Like a good-cancer that grows stem cells or something. And then I want to give it to everyone and finally we can get to the fucking space age.
    Yeah but if you get actual cancer then the stem cells will help that. Just randomly starting to pump out stem cells would likely do far more harm than good.

24. Post #24
    March 2008
    1,574 Posts
    Death is the worst thing ever and anything that makes it go away is good because I dont want to die ever

Edited:

Who's to say the current generations aren't capable of making new ideas? and who says people won't still have kids?

Seriously why the fuck do people look on immortality negatively? You'll eventually be able to go around the solar system at least just moseying around colonising shit and generally being a space bad ass.
    The human brain can only develope so far, we only have the capability to make so many synapses, unless you have no problem with wiping your memories every now and then or just transfer your consciousness over to a machine (which is really super cool because who wants to be human and have all these experiences and have sex and raise a family amirite?). But seriously no matter how "open minded" you think you are eventually when you get old you're going to be less accepting of new ideas even if you're the coolest old person ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,288 Posts
    Death is the worst thing ever and anything that makes it go away is good because I dont want to die ever

Edited:

The human brain can only develope so far, we only have the capability to make so many synapses, unless you have no problem with wiping your memories every now and then or just transfer your consciousness over to a machine (which is really super cool because who wants to be human and have all these experiences and have sex and raise a family amirite?). But seriously no matter how "open minded" you think you are eventually when you get old you're going to be less accepting of new ideas even if you're the coolest old person ever.
    Darpa is working out a fix to that issue, they're working on a secondary storage device for the brain, all you have to do is wire it into the brain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    March 2008
    1,574 Posts
    also overpopulation, if everyone lives forever and we continue to have kids then we will continue to use mass amounts of resources even if we colonize all the habitable or at least bearable planets in our solar system and a couple others. We will eventually become like a disease going through star systems and using up all the resources because we live so long and still have lots of kids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    April 2010
    2,543 Posts
    Darpa is working out a fix to that issue, they're working on a secondary storage device for the brain, all you have to do is wire it into the brain.
    Link?

I wanna see this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,195 Posts

Edited:

Hardware + AI interweaved with the human brain could solve these problems or allow for the download of the entire of human history and scientific research instantly available to each human. It'd also create the largest and most powerful distributed computing network ever and possibly allow for real democracy, by finding out exactly what people want and solving individual issues on a country-wide level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Isle of Man Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    May 2010
    11,139 Posts

what the fuck are you on

We have to invent the afterlife because immortality is impossible? What?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

30. Post #30
    March 2008
    1,574 Posts
    yes because I totally want to carry around a hard drive/have something protruding out of my head so I can have more memory, that's totally what I want to be eventually a cyborg that lives forever and is a burden on future generations with my old ideas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    May 2010
    11,139 Posts
    also overpopulation, if everyone lives forever and we continue to have kids then we will continue to use mass amounts of resources even if we colonize all the habitable or at least bearable planets in our solar system and a couple others. We will eventually become like a disease going through star systems and using up all the resources because we live so long and still have lots of kids.
    "oh shit i just realized that humans use resources we're just like viruses wow no one has ever thought of this oh whats that no i haven't watched the matrix"

Edited:

yes because I totally want to carry around a hard drive/have something protruding out of my head so I can have more memory, that's totally what I want to be eventually a cyborg that lives forever and is a burden on future generations with my old ideas.
    None of you people are making any fucking sense at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

32. Post #32
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,195 Posts
    So? Prolongation of the human race should be our paramount eternal goal with happiness and satisfaction an individual goal.

Everyone would be able to attain true happiness with no fear of death ever plaguing there minds and with unlimited time to find stuff they enjoy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Isle of Man Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,288 Posts
    Well it's not like the universe is gonna be any particularly different if millions of dead barren lifeless planets are suddenly colonised is it?

The universe isn't self aware, it's not gonna get sad at a billions of autonomous collections of atoms start to do their own thing.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    15,090 Posts
    Better than dying or being human that's for sure.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,288 Posts
    If you're too closed minded to accept new methods of solving old problems then it's your own fault, don't be a burden, there are millions who would happily become immortals.

And you do know that cybernetics and biotechnologies are swiftly coming closer, antenna farms grafted to the spine that use the spine and skull as a transmitter and receiver allowing almost any signal to be picked up almost anywhere on the world, I can see the uses for that.

36. Post #36
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,195 Posts
    It'd either be a virtual eternity or a physical eternity.

If they made a universe within a computer system which everyone was connected to simultaneously, with some brain modifications made to make a million years within the system be a second outside, that'd be somewhat 'eternal' but not in the true sense.

If we found a way of surviving past the universes end, that would be true immortality. Let's say humans live for ever and we colonize the universe over 100,000,000,000 years, the universe will eventually decide to end by one of the following methods:

If the end of the universe is by black hole, we'd have to find a way of crossing the event horizon way out beyond the extent of everything that exists and stay there to see what happens.

If on the other hand the universe contracts in the 'big crush' before expanding in another big bang, we could just find a safe vantage point and wait there until the next big bang and then recolonize the entire universe again, one planet at a time.

This would be true physical immortality.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,064 Posts
    SENS = SNES backwords.

If you don't get it, you have no childhood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Zing Zing x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    December 2009
    8,851 Posts
    when I grow up (after college) I want to work for there cause. its been my dream since I heard of them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    June 2010
    7,068 Posts

The only places really struggling to sustain people aren't the countries that would have access to this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    So how bout that KNO3?
    September 2010
    496 Posts
    There is a problem with that. Say if we humans live an average of 85 years, and we have a population around 6,876,800,000 people, And if they all live 100,000,000,000 years, the earth would run out of resources in an estimated 4,326 years due to reproduction and grand kids being able to say "hi" to their great great great great great great great great great grandpa.

Get what I'm saying? We all die for a reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)