1. Post #1
    October 2010
    2,110 Posts
    I feel like a huge nerd, but even thinking about the original Planetside sends me into 'gasms, as I open up steam chat to reminisce with friends about that 10-gal drop we did on Zotz and other nostalgic shit. I'm here to bring you info about the old Planetside, and what the new one will probably be like.

A squadron of main battle tanks lined up in the New Conglomerate sanctuary, cannons at the ready

Planetside is a subscription-based MMOFPS game - one of only two current games of that type.

It was released in 2003, and immediately produced a huge userbase. It featured stunning graphics for its time, and amazing technology allowing hundreds of players to be in the same place, battling at the same time.

A corporation of Vanu Sovereignty players prepares main battle tanks, scout aircraft, bombing aircraft, and vehicle support platforms for a raid on enemy territory.

Planetside featured 3 factions: the Vanu Sovereignty (geared towards advanced technology; lasers and mobility), the New Conglomerate (geared towards single-shot, high-damage weaponry; cannons and armor), and the Terran Republic (geared towards rapid-fire weapons; automatics and chainguns)

A door gunner on a fully-loaded Galaxy dropship peers out his viewport, scanning the air for reavers and mosquitos.

The three factions would duke it out over the planet Auraxia, in a (typically) non-ending slug-out over tactically places bases, towers, bunkers, and other important areas and chokepoints.

The cloak-capable Phantasm dropship loads up for a shock-drop on enemy grounds.

Specialization was handled by giving each player a certain amount of "certification points", with players being able to invest and re-invest the points where-ever they choose on a 5-hour cooldown period. Points could be spent on certifications to use or equip certain weapons, suits, vehicles, or devices. Players would get more of these as they leveled up, allowing them to be more of a jack-of-all-trades.

The Terran Republic battleframe robotics unit, the Colossus, sits crouched, its chainguns and cannons at the ready.

Planetside allowed - and all but required - seamless teamwork and skill. Once, a long time ago.

The Terran Republic gathers at its sanctuary during the Planetside beta, amassing several galaxy dropships and armored transport and gunnery vehicles.

Then, John Smedley, in 2009, tweeted: "Planetside next. You will like."

Planetside Next then became an icon, with unsubscribed Planetside players clawing for more news and announcements. Being kept largely in the dark, nothing has been known of Planetside Next - for a while.

'Till Smedley tweeted again. "I updated my blog... you will like."
    Smedley's blog tells us not only were previous suspicions of a March 2011 release correct, but current Planetside subscribers will be guaranteed Beta access before then.

We did like.

An influx of subscribers surged into the original Planetside, newcomers excited about the notion of early access to Planetside Next.

I'm here to tell YOU guys that Planetside Next is going to be amazing if it's anything like Planetside. You should absolutely play it, at all costs.

That is all.

Edited:

Smedley responded to my E-mail and unintentionally (I guess) hinted at thousands+ player battles. Also, he thinks CODBLOPS models are high-poly and I get to be a beta tester.

Edited:

New Vanguard and Galaxy models for Planetside: Next

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner x 48Informative x 1Friendly x 1Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    November 2010
    1,507 Posts
    That looks fucking awesome!
    -nvm-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2008
    1,103 Posts
    This is going to be amazing, and I can't wait to play it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,381 Posts
    I loved Planetside so much during the 'Reserves', best year of gaming I've had.

Planetside Next should be amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2009
    1,838 Posts
    Well that looks pretty awesome. I never played Planetside, but I always wanted to get into it. Maybe Next will finally suck me in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,785 Posts
    I really can't wait for this. So excited!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

7. Post #7
    Propane Nightmares
    May 2007
    8,495 Posts
    Thinking of subscribing back to Planetside soon just to get beta access to Next. Very, very excited!

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,330 Posts
    WHAT

I'm going to resub Planetside just for the beta.

Planetside was one of my first games, and probably one of the best I've ever played. Also the only game that ever made me cry "But moooooooooommmmm! :<" when I was told to get off the computer when I was a wee lad.

9. Post #9
    One word: holymotherfuckingawesomeepicamazingsauce with a side order of orgasm.

Can't wait.

I played for 3 years and loved it all. I stopped playing once the population dropped a lot.

I might just go play some old Planetside.

10. Post #10
    Streetwise Angel Booksmart Devil
    January 2010
    3,013 Posts
    I cannot wait :aaa:

11. Post #11
    March 2010
    1,120 Posts
    March 2011

march 20 fucking eleven

rahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hspoooooooooogerahhhhhhhhhhhhhhfuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2010
    2,110 Posts
    Currently using my phantasm as a mobile AA platform (AA max hops onto phantasm, phantasm driver ascends, cloaks, floating AA max.)

I can even move forward at speed 1 and he won't fall off

Planetside: Next is gonna be fantastic if it really will support THOUSANDS, considering Planetside was 100 v 100 v 100 per continent and it still had that epic, huge feel to it.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,177 Posts
    Hnnnggg cannot wait at all. I loved PS so much, first online game.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,039 Posts
    So they're releasing it in 2 months and they haven't shown any screens yet?

15. Post #15
    October 2010
    2,110 Posts
    No, which is rather smart.

Smedley has shown us the Galaxy and Vanguard, however, meaning there will certainly still be vehicle and air battles.

He also said BFRs won't be in it on his blog (score! no more 2-person MBTs getting killed by 1-person BFRs.)

Edited:

Also, beta is soon and depending on whether or not there will be a NDA you might get screens that was
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Vanu FTW!
    Oh god I loved this game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    October 2010
    2,110 Posts
    Haha, just noticed the camera on the nose of the galaxy. New addition. Would be neat if there was a sort of I.R or thermal "galaxy scout" seat.

Perhaps they could even have it relay a camera-feed to CR5s

Edited:

Vanu FTW!
    Oh god I loved this game.
    Vanu faction best faction!

We didn't always perform well indoors, but as I remember it we were pretty much the king of vehicle battles

I still remember Razfrostwhisper's weekly Galaxy Gunship raids, and me spending countless hours spitting plasma out the cannon of the Thresher at dismayed vannies and prowlers

Edited:

Also, one time I was doing phantasm ops and we jacked an enemy GG in the middle of its repair cycle... Then killed all its gunners and the two loadies around it

UGH why were you so amazing Planetside

Edited:

Also, I don't think you actually need to be subscribed to get into the beta. All I did was E-mail John Smedley about the system reqs (didn't even mention my sub, even though I haven't been unsubbed a day of Planetside's existence) and he let me in.

Gonna be nice seeing... What everything's like! I hope it's more of a re-vamp of the original Planetside, with a bigger player-limit, a cheater prevention system, better graphics, and, of course, less bugs and balance issues (fix the lasher!)

18. Post #18
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    I want into beta :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Dennab
    September 2010
    2,109 Posts
    I FUCKING LOVED PLANETSIDE GOD I AM SO EXCITEd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    May 2008
    1,034 Posts
    I'll see you Terran Facists and Vanu Commies in hell.

New Conglomerate SHALL PREVAIL!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Spain Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    October 2010
    2,110 Posts
    Pfft! Keep telling yourself that whilst I pelt your Vanguards and Enforcers into submission with my obviously superior rail beam. :smug:

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    May 2008
    1,034 Posts
    You'll be regretting that statement once you take a Phoenix round to your shitty little Magrider.

23. Post #23
    October 2010
    2,110 Posts
    You wanna make this personal, hoe?!

Best step off 'fore I beamer your ass into submission!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Dennab
    May 2008
    1,034 Posts
    Please, you'll probably get run over by some Terran in a Marauder before you're even in range of our Vanguards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    October 2010
    2,110 Posts
    I got hit by a drop-pod and died once

I shit you not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    May 2008
    1,034 Posts
    Pfff, that's nothing.

I once managed to get killed by an ANT.

:frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

27. Post #27
    October 2010
    2,110 Posts
    That's not a difficult task. Back when fully charged ANTs blew up like bombs, my corp would drop fully-loaded and almost dead ANTs on the V-pads of busy bases. We'd see killspam that rivalled OSes

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    May 2008
    1,034 Posts
    Well, that's obviously to get killed by.

I got run the fuck over.

At like 5 mph.

29. Post #29
    October 2010
    2,110 Posts
    Ha, I E-mailed RPS and got my Planetside: Next news in

Edited:

I dunno where they got the tip that the Galaxy would be used for recon, though, maybe they read this thread

30. Post #30
    Live stream of Tigersmith!

http://j-tv.me/h56DPg?q

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,404 Posts
    That is unbelievably awesome that you get beta Do you know this guy personally or was that just totally random?

32. Post #32
    Ye Olde Syphen
    July 2010
    1,840 Posts
    My god this thread sent me into a series of gasms...

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    September 2008
    476 Posts
    Never played Planetside, but I heard it was awesome and it was one of the few true MMOFPSs.

I just wanna be that guy piloting the chopper gunner as my friends mow down guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    5,778 Posts
    I always wanted to play Planetside. What's the piloting like for the air vehicles? Is it similar to the Battlefield series and ArmA where it's relatively realistic or is it closer to Joint Ops and OFP2 where it's proper dumbed down?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,404 Posts
    I always wanted to play Planetside. What's the piloting like for the air vehicles? Is it similar to the Battlefield series and ArmA where it's relatively realistic or is it closer to Joint Ops and OFP2 where it's proper dumbed down?
    They're all sort of futuristic hover vehicles, so it's really simplistic movement, like moving in no-clip or something. I guess it never struck me as bad though, I think it works for the game.

36. Post #36
    Very Jelly Despicable Douchebag
    January 2007
    11,082 Posts
    You guys don't got shit on Vanu Sovereignity.

I'll see if I can ask that dude if I can get a beta invite too, I :love: Planetside.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,177 Posts
    Need FP beta testing group

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    473 Posts

Yeah that was pretty much me when I heard the game was releasing in March.

So excited for Planetside: Next, I hope that towards the end of beta testing they open it up for everyone to try.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq280/MooMooUdder/Gmail-Combthedesert-chaoticcowgmailcom.png
    I wrote him a 5 paragraph story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

40. Post #40
    October 2010
    2,110 Posts
    That is unbelievably awesome that you get beta Do you know this guy personally or was that just totally random?
    Totally random

Edited:

It's not really "realistic" considering they're set in the future; there's up/down movement, and the aircraft can hover at one point pretty easily.