1. Post #1
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    So if you're like me and dislike all the dopey promo items that make TF2 look ugly, then you will find this useful. If you enjoy raping everyone's eyes with your bright neon green severed rabbit head then this thread probably isn't for you.

I got tired of re-editing the items_game.txt file every time TF2 updates, so i am using SVN to store my changes.

You can read more about it here: http://code.google.com/p/hat-genocide/

How to use it:

1. Install TortoiseSVN and open your tf2 folder.
    2. Go to tf/scripts/items.
    3. http://code.google.com/p/hat-genocide/source/checkout
    4. Checkout into the folder from step 2. If all goes well, you will have a new items_game.txt file.
    5. Load up TF2 and jump for joy, your game is now less shitty.

Direct download:

Not as convenient as SVN but still an option for those of you without a SVN program.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3310518/tf2/items_game.txt

How to toggle hats:

Do you want to customize which hats are enabled/disabled? It's easy.

If you want to search the entire text file for hats, just do ctrl+f --> search for "wearable".
    If you want to check which hats are disabled in the text file, just ctfl+f ---> search for "//".

If you want to disable a hat then simply do:

Code:
    "image_inventory"	"backpack/player/items/medic/medic_mirror"
    "image_inventory_size_w"		"128"
    "image_inventory_size_h"		"82"
    // "model_player"	"models/player/items/medic/medic_mirror.mdl"
    "drop_type"	"none"
    See where i put the "//"? That's how you comment out a line and make the game ignore it. If you want to make a certain hat visible again just remove the "//".

What if there is a TF2 update?

I'll try to keep this up to date as often as possible. Valve doesn't update TF2 extremely often so chances are i won't have any problems keeping up. If there is a TF2 update then your text file will get automatically deleted, you'll have to do a SVN update to get the new version (provided i have updated).

You broke TF2

If your TF2 crashes at all it's because you fucked something up in this text file (the game doesn't like when the text file is missing definitions for hats/weapons). Delete the text file if this happens and TF2 will fix itself.

Does this give FPS boosts?

It seems that disabling unusual hat effects gives a minor performance boost. I dunno about disabling hats though.

I'm an insufferable twat and I hate you for making this. I will be damned if you don't listen to my opinions!

Um i dunno what to say to you then. Valve gave us the ability to enable and disable hats, and i'm just making it more accessible to everyone. Some people don't like certain hats in the game, deal with it. This doesn't affect you at all, it's purely a clientside text file.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Winner x 43Dumb x 21Useful x 10Optimistic x 1Funny x 1Disagree x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,097 Posts
    well what's it do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    It disables all the overly obnoxious hats in TF2, to put it bluntly. It also removes unusual hat effects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,940 Posts
    Near as I can tell, it edits the items_game.txt to remove the promo hats. I might be using it, since I dislike the promo hats. This is a useful little script for those interested.

:ninja:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    It's also quite handy since you can always open the text file and remove the comment lines if you want to enable a certain hat. There's more on this on the google code page.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Sounds pretty stupid to me, I don't really care what other people are wearing, lime green doesn't really affect me at all.

If you don't like the updates then spare us the complaining because we hear people on tf2 crying every goddam round when they see something they don't like

like really, it's just a game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 30Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    Sounds pretty stupid to me, I don't really care what other people are wearing an lime green doesn't really affect me at all.

If you don't like the updates then spare us the complaining because we hear people on tf2 crying every goddam round when they see something they don't like

like really, it's just a game
    Um well if you don't care what other people are wearing then chances are you don't need to use this.

Some of us don't like seeing people wear bright green ugly hats. It's called an opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,086 Posts
    ahahaha oh man someone actually did this. i was joking around about something like that in that TF2 1/24 update thread.

never cease to amaze me, tf2 community/Merzbro :allears:

e:http://www.facepunch.com/threads/105...1#post27672771 for my original post in the tf2 thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    ahahaha oh man someone actually did this. i was joking around about something like that in that TF2 1/24 update thread.

never cease to amaze me, tf2 community/Merzbro :allears:
    Why wouldn't someone do this? It's great. Valve lets the end user decide which hats they see ingame, which is the way it should be.

If you don't want to disable certain hats then nobody is forcing you to use this.

So stop being a shitheel and appreciate that some people out there appreciate TF2's original visual style and want to preserve it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    October 2010
    830 Posts
    Um well if you don't care what other people are wearing then chances are you don't need to use this.

Some of us don't like seeing people wear bright green ugly hats. It's called an opinion.
    lol, edited and self-agreed. Plus self-rated useful

Anyway, what hats does it get rid of? If it's all the promos, you got rid of the Bill, which is one of the nicest hats and actually a very fitting and simple one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    lol, edited and self-agreed. Plus self-rated useful

Anyway, what hats does it get rid of? If it's all the promos, you got rid of the Bill, which is one of the nicest hats and actually a very fitting and simple one.
    I left bill's hat because it actually looks nice on most classes. I got rid of all the overly obnoxious promo hats. If you see a promo hat and think "wow that's obnoxious" then it's probably removed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,086 Posts
    Why wouldn't someone do this? It's great. Valve lets the end user decide which hats they see ingame, which is the way it should be.

If you don't want to disable certain hats then nobody is forcing you to use this.

So stop being a shitheel and appreciate that some people out there appreciate TF2's visual style and want to preserve it.
    merz you are amazing. how's it like being everything wrong with the tf2 community in one person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Funny Funny x 8Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    Yes because thinking that people running around with bright pink ugly as fuck rabbit ears on their head is visually unappealing immediately makes you the worst person in the TF2 community.

Like i said, some of us have Class And Style, some of us don't. I won't judge you for being colorblind and tasteless, mate. ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,086 Posts
    Like i said, some of us have Class And Style, some of us don't. I won't judge you for being colorblind and tasteless, mate. ;)
    says a guy posting on a forum on a video game about cartoony characters blowing each other to pieces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    So maybe some of us enjoy the original TF2 stylings? Sorry if you weren't around for the glory days of TF2 before valve put all this shitty crossover content in the game. I know i'm not the only person who dislikes all the promotional items.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,086 Posts
    So maybe some of us enjoy the original TF2 stylings? Sorry if you weren't around for the glory days of TF2 before valve put all this shitty crossover content in the game. I know i'm not the only person who dislikes all the promotional items.
    I was there for the beta test but you don't hear me whining because i'm not some self-righteous asshole that takes a light-hearted video game more seriously that its developers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19 (list)

17. Post #17
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    I enjoy aesthetics, and it took me all of 3 minutes to edit the text file. I went out of the way to make it more accessible to the community. How does that make me a bad person?

Chill out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

18. Post #18
    October 2010
    830 Posts
    rabbit ears
    People need to get over the Max hat. There's much worse than it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    August 2010
    2,072 Posts
    People need to get over the hats.
    Fixed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Zing Zing x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,987 Posts
    People need to get over the Max hat. There's much worse than it.
    I have to agree here. In fact, I honestly think Max's head DOES look quite nice (That is, when not painted...), and people only use it as an example because...Well, because they can I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,725 Posts
    HOW DARE YOU REMOVE HATS?! HOW AM I MEANT TO PROVE MYSELF TO BE SUPERIOR TO YOU NOW?! ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME WELL? NONSENSE!

Seriously guys he's just giving us an option, quit soiling your diapers because people don't want to see your shitty, frame rate dropping, art-style breaking headgear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    November 2010
    1,432 Posts
    Much love to MerzBro. I appreciate this script.

Seems like there are some seriously confrontational people. There's no need for conflict here. MerzBro came here to share this excellent script with other players who feel a certain way about TF2's aesthetics. There's no reason to come in bashing us.

Thanks again for the script. Rated Winner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

23. Post #23
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    Much love to MerzBro. I appreciate this script.

Seems like there are some seriously confrontational people. There's no need for conflict here. MerzBro came here to share this excellent script with other players who feel a certain way about TF2's aesthetics. There's no reason to come in bashing us.

Thanks again for the script. Rated Winner.
    I think people feel threatened that we are able to make their overly garish cosmetic items invisible and ruin all their hard work spent trading for them. Or something.

I have to agree here. In fact, I honestly think Max's head DOES look quite nice (That is, when not painted...), and people only use it as an example because...Well, because they can I guess.
    Which hat is worse? The max heads are big and can be painted entirely lime green or pink to make them twice as irritating to look at.

If i had to pick a poster child for "annoying, obnoxious, unfitting hats" i'd put the max heads at the top of the list.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,025 Posts
    I like lime on some hats :(

I'm thinking of painting all the hats I own green shades, y'know, personalize them.

The Skull hat actually looks pretty fucking badass in lime IMO, though it's more of a hue with all the paint than the usual LOLFULLBRIGHT http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Spine-Chilling_Skull

25. Post #25
    November 2010
    1,432 Posts
    Or perhaps they just love jumping on the bandwagon. I can understand when there's conflict between somebody who's fine with the new hats and somebody who's against them, but there's simply no reason to drag anything here. That's like me going into the trading threads and saying "oh my god trading is stupid and all of these hats rape the art style!"

Also, I rather enjoy my Voodoo Juju. I've found it on the .txt file but I'm not sure what to add or remove.

Code:
    }
    		"289"
    		{
    			"name"	"Voodoo Juju"
    			"hidden"	"0"
    			"item_class"	"tf_wearable_item"
    			"craft_class"	"haunted_hat"
    			"capabilities"
    			{
    				"nameable"		"1"
    				"paintable"		"1"
    				"can_gift_wrap" 	"1"
    			}
    			"loadondemand" "1"
    			"show_in_armory"	"1"
    			"item_type_name""#TF_Wearable_Hat"
    			"item_name"	"#TF_Halloween_Voodoo"
    			"item_description"	"#TF_Halloween_Voodoo_Desc"
    			"item_slot"	"head"
    			"item_quality"	"unique"
    			"min_ilevel"	"31"
    			"max_ilevel"	"31"
    			"image_inventory"	"backpack/player/items/all_class/voodoojuju_hat"
    			"image_inventory_size_w"		"128"
    			"image_inventory_size_h"		"82"
    			//"model_player"	"models/player/items/all_class/voodoojuju_hat.mdl"
    			"drop_type"	"drop"
    			"set_sequence_to_class" "1"
    			"used_by_classes"
    			{
    				"scout"	"1"
    				"sniper"	"1"
    				"soldier"	"1"
    				"demoman"	"1"
    				"medic"	"1"
    				"heavy"	"1"
    				"spy" "1"
    				"engineer" "1"
    				"pyro" "1"
    			}
    			"visuals"
    			{
    				"hide_player_bodygroup_name"	"hat"
    				"hide_player_bodygroup_name"	"headphones"
    			}
    			"attributes"
    			{
    				"halloween item"
    				{
    					"attribute_class"	"halloween_item"
    					"value"				"2010"
    				}
    			}
    			"mouse_pressed_sound" 	"ui/item_hat_pickup.wav"
    			"drop_sound" 		"ui/item_hat_drop.wav"
    Do I just remove "hidden" and add "loadondemand"?

26. Post #26
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    See where it says //"model_player" ?

Remove the // and it will work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    12,372 Posts
    Does it boost your fps?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    I noticed a slight increase after disabling the unusual hat effects (i assume that there can only be positive effects from removing particle emitters). It might just be me though.

There's also less models being rendered at any given time if you're using this so that might give a very minor boost to performance. Probably unnoticeable though.

29. Post #29
    November 2010
    1,432 Posts
    Perfect. Got my modest pile back too. Allclass billycock has always been classy in my eyes.

I'm really glad to be rid of most of these. And of course, the ones I want to keep, I keep. Great job on this. Haters gonna hate. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    Perfect. Got my modest pile back too. Allclass billycock has always been classy in my eyes.
    Yes i should also stress that this entire thing is subjective, some of the hats that are disabled might not be so obnoxious to some people. So if you plan on using this you might want to search for any hats you are wearing currently and make sure they aren't blacklisted.

If you want to search the entire text file for hats, just do ctrl+f --> search for "wearable".

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    14,953 Posts
    This made my game run ever so slightly faster. :love:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    November 2010
    1,432 Posts
    I personally just used ctrl+f and searched for "//" which took me to every disabled hat and particle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    says a guy posting on a forum on a video game about cartoony characters blowing each other to pieces.
    lmao holy fuck you're dumb just stop trying
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 13Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    Updated the OP with some more helpful tips and shit.

35. Post #35
    November 2010
    1,432 Posts
    Jeez, that would have helped if it was there in the first place. You're so thoughtless!

Kidding of course :p Thanks for making it a little more clear to those who aren't quite familiar with scripting and whatnot. The only improvement I would make (as if it's possible) is make it so that one of the disabled hats is replaced with the vanilla hat for scout, sniper, and engie instead of hatless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    January 2011
    1,149 Posts
    The only improvement I would make (as if it's possible) is make it so that one of the disabled hats is replaced with the vanilla hat for scout, sniper, and engie instead of hatless.
    I can't do that, since the default hats are a part of the player model and not their own model. I think that's how it works anyhow.

If you wanted to you could just replace them with other hats that aren't disabled. Like, if you disabled the soldier's viking helmet you could just replace its model with the stainless pot model and all the soldiers using the viking helmet would have a pot on their head instead.

37. Post #37
    August 2009
    2,089 Posts
    I can see why people would do this. The best thing Valve could do would be to disable hats / effects option in the game settings.

Or have a giant chart of hats with checkboxes that you personally want to see in game, or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    May 2010
    2,112 Posts
    I can see why people would do this. The best thing Valve could do would be to disable hats / effects option in the game settings.

Or have a giant chart of hats with checkboxes that you personally want to see in game, or something.
    this, because i think servers override the items_game you have iirc.

39. Post #39
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,083 Posts
    Yes i should also stress that this entire thing is subjective, some of the hats that are disabled might not be so obnoxious to some people. So if you plan on using this you might want to search for any hats you are wearing currently and make sure they aren't blacklisted.

What the? What's not good looking about that? The other two towers I can understand, but the Modest Pile is a nice fitting grey bowler.

40. Post #40

October 2010
    7 Posts
    Why are you restricting this to SVN? It shouldn't be that difficult to release a new zip every now and then, it's only 1 file.