1. Post #1
    [release]What is Doctor Who?

Back in 1963 BBC commissioned one of the first GOOD sci-fi television series in history. It was about a time travelling alien called The Doctor who doesn't really get on with his people (The Time Lords) so instead chooses to show humans the wonders of the universe thanks to his time travelling device called The TARDIS. A box that is bigger on the inside than the outside. An interesting fact about The Doctor is when he comes close to death he can regenerate every cell in his body and cheat death. This means he has a new face, new personality and new actor. This was done for 7 actors before the show was cancelled in 1989.

After a poor TV movie in 1996 the show returned with a bang in 2005. You can start from here and not miss much, but that's not to say the older episodes aren't worth a look either. Bear in mind that many of the earlier episodes have been lost because of the BBC's short-sightedness, something Who-fans will never forgive them for.

2005 saw Christopher Eccleston (28 Days Later, GI Joe) play The Doctor, he left the same year and David Tennant took over. After becoming considered by many as "The Best Doctor" he left in 2010 after 5 years.

Now Matt Smith plays the timelord. If you want you could start from Series 5 (2010 series) and get the idea of the show pretty quick. Oh. First, a few things you must know:[/release]

[release]Stuff you should know before watching (assuming you start from 2005):

[list][*]The show is about an alien called the Doctor[*]He is from the planet Gallifrey, home of the Timelords[*]When fatally injured, he can "regenerate" into a new body, with a new personality and mannerisms. However he retains his memories and his core values, such as anti-violence and eccentricity. In terms of production, this means that the actor playing the Doctor can quit while leaving the show to continue, and it allows each actor to bring something new to the way they play their incarnation.[*]He travels through time and space in a vehicle called the "TARDIS", which stands for "Time And Relative Dimensions In Space". On the outside, it appears to be a lowly police box, but this is merely a cunning disguise, as inside it houses things like a vast control room, library and (allegedly) a swimming pool.[*]The TARDIS can go anywhere and anywhen, but there are complex rules dictating the extent to which the Doctor can interfere with his own timeline, which can be loosely summed up as "wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey"[*]Sometime between the Eighth and Ninth Doctors, there was a "Time War" between the Timelords and the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks. The Doctor was the sole survivor of the Timelords, and a few Daleks survived too. The Doctor's guilt over his race's death is a key characteristic of his Ninth incarnation.[*]The Doctor frequently travels with various companions from all of time and space. They are frequently used to answer questions about the situations they find themselves in for the audience.[/list]
    [/release]

[release]Characters of Series 1-4

Rose Tyler

In the series' narrative, Rose is introduced as a working class shop assistant from London, introduced alongside her own supporting cast in the form of her mother Jackie Tyler (Camille Coduri) and her boyfriend Mickey Smith(Noel Clarke). Whereas the classic series refrained from exploring romantic connections between the Doctor and his companions, Rose grows increasingly trusting of the Doctor and comes to realise she has fallen in love with him.

"Captain" Jack Harkness

In the programme's narrative, Jack begins as a time traveller and former con man from the 51st century. In contrast to the Doctor, Jack is a man of action, more willing to apply a hands-on solution to a problem. Now has a spinoff show called "Torchwood" where he fights aliens in Cardiff along with a crack team of gun-toting bisexuals. Series 4 (subtitled "Miracle Day") is due to be shown this year, set in the USA and Cardiff.

Martha Jones

Within the series' narrative, Martha begins as a medical student who becomes the Doctor's time travelling companion after an incident at the hospital where she works. After well over a year (from the perspective of the Doctor and herself) of service at his side, they decide to part ways. She later had a few guest appearances on Torchwood, and then another appearance in the Series 4 two-parter "The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky"

Donna Noble

Within the series' narrative, Donna begins as an outspoken middle aged Londoner, whose view of the universe is a very small place. Although she at first findsalien time traveller the Doctor terrifying, their initial encounter leaves her unsatisfied with her small little world, and she jumps at the chance to travel alongside him when the next opportunity arises. The Doctor later mindrapes her and leaves her on Earth.

Sarah-Jane Smith

A former companion of the Doctor, she is re-united with him in the Series 2 episode "School Reunion", along with robot dog K-9. Has her own spinoff show now as well, called "The Sarah-Jane Adventures".

[h2]UPDATE[/h2]

The actress who plays her, Elisabeth Sladen, died on the 19th of April, 2011.[/release]

[release]Characters of Series 5

The Doctor

A 900 year old Time Lord who has saved the universe way too many times. Over the years The Doctor has been put through a lot of heartbreak but he hides it well. He has watched his friends die, his family and his people. It seems he is finally starting to get over it a little bit. His latest body is the youngest he has ever looked. He has a reckless and spontaneous personality. He fires words before thoughts and like most of his previous selves, he is anti-violence. This Doctor has a new TARDIS and companion. Unlike his previous incarnations, this Doctor has a soft spot for children. The universe could be falling apart but if you make a child cry, The Doctor will rip you into pieces. He’s a bit weird and a bit alien. But he is a master of speeches. If you get on the wrong side of The Doctor, hell is going to fall from the sky, and you better run.

Amy Pond

The Doctor crashed into Amy’s life when she was seven. Literally. He came back when Amy was a young woman, and he showed her the universe. Amy Pond is a little girl living out her dream fairy tale. Her parents mysteriously disappeared when she was young ...

Rory Williams

Amy's love interest (   and as of the end of Series 5, her husband   ), he is initially slightly beta and jealous of the Doctor, but through Series 5 we see him develop into a sword-wielding laser-shooting badass.

River Song

An enigma. Neither we nor the Doctor know much about her as of yet, because due to time travel she and the Doctor keep meeting each other in the wrong order. She is superficially friendly but it is implied that she holds dark secrets about the Doctor's future. May be the Doctor's future wife.[/release]

[release]Recurring Villains
    (there are many more, but these are the more memorable)

Daleks

Within the series, Daleks are cyborgs from the planet Skaro, created by the scientist Davros during the final years of a thousand-year war against the Thals. They are mutated Kaleds integrated within a tank-like or robot-like mechanical casing. The resulting creatures are a powerful race bent on universal conquest and domination, utterly without pity, compassion or remorse. Various storylines portray them as having had every emotion removed except hate, leaving them with a desire to purge the Universe of all non-Dalek life. Occasionally they are shown as experiencing other emotions, primarily fear, although such occurrences are rare. Collectively they are the greatest enemies of the series' protagonist, the Time Lord known as the Doctor. Their famous catchphrase is "Exterminate!", with each syllable individually synthesised in a frantic electronic voice.

Cybermen

Cybermen were originally a wholly organic species of humanoids originating on Earth's twin planet Mondas that began to implant more and more artificial parts into their bodies as a means of self-preservation. This led to the race becoming coldly logical and calculating, with every emotion all but deleted from their minds. The Cybermen also have a rivalry with the Daleks (aka the daleks kicked their asses)

Weeping Angels

DON'T. FUCKING. BLINK.[/release]

[release]Additional information if you are so inclined.[/release]

Series 6 is slated to air at around Easter time, and will be split up into two halves with a cliffhanger in the middle of the series.

Series 6 Trailer:

[release]Episode listings so far:

[list][*]1: The Impossible Astronaut - 23 April[*]2: Day of the Moon - 30 April[*]3: The Curse of the Black Spot - 7 May[*]4: The Doctor's Wife - 14 May[*]5: The Rebel Flesh - 21 May[*]6: The Almost People - 28 May[*]7: A Good Man Goes to War - 4 June[/list][/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Winner Winner x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    What's a jammy dodger
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 23Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,903 Posts
    Ohh yes, new thread, new episodes!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    What's a jammy dodger
    the best food ever created by a human

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jammie_Dodgers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 3Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,176 Posts
    A rather tasty biscuit, that's what.

Also, I got the final post in the last thread.
    And so it ends...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,219 Posts
    Wait, I thought Mr. Agree was going to make the next thread?

Dainbramage, you monster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #7
    WHY WON'T THE THREAD RENAME GOd

I mis-spelled jammie dodger

8. Post #8
    You're a big guy.
    January 2011
    4,786 Posts
    Wait, I thought Mr. Agree was going to make the next thread?

Dainbramage, you monster
    I thought so too. Kinda dickish man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    I thought so too. Kinda dickish man.
    I thought it was decided a while ago, I even posted a draft of the OP earlier on

Mr Agree just sort of showed up and assumed direct control

anyway I may as well combine his OP with mine

and at the rate this thread is going we'll still be arguing over the OP until page 5

10. Post #10
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    Craptasket, the other thread was the "official" one

11. Post #11
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,219 Posts
    "This is the official thread."

*Thread gets locked*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Craptasket, the other thread was the "official" one
    first come

first serve
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    The other OP had a lot more content, and I thought we'd agreed that Mr.Agree would make it.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,437 Posts
    Meh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Everything I post is absolute bollocks until proven otherwise.
    July 2008
    10,997 Posts
    I thought the other thread was better. Won't lie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    goatse
    January 2006
    32,489 Posts
    I thought the other thread was better. Won't lie.
    It's about the same show, who cares.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    The other OP had a load more content in it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    The other OP had a load more content in it
    Stop bickering guys I'm adding it right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,437 Posts
    Oh well.. the mod is right anyway lol. I know we did agree on me but he'll obviously lock the second thread that's made.

20. Post #20
    May 2006
    6,219 Posts
    The other one was more colourful :smith:

21. Post #21
    Propane Nightmares
    May 2007
    8,708 Posts
    Meh whatever, I guess Mr Agree gets the next one.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,437 Posts
    I spent ages putting that together :( Just keep it as it is. Add a few things to it and i'll use mine for V6. Happy days!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2008
    10,997 Posts
    Next time my friend. Next time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,437 Posts
    Next time my friend. Next time.
    :unsmith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    July 2008
    10,997 Posts
    Keep your pictures, Matt is in character. Ditch the picture of the Daleks. They're toys, and not how the appear now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    done

Edited:

We take ourselves very seriously here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    I'm a Wizard
    March 2006
    2,697 Posts
    I never leave the house with out my Sonic Screwdriver:

Anyone else have any Doctor Who toys?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

28. Post #28
    May 2006
    6,219 Posts
    I had a sonic screwdriver, not sure where it is at the moment, and a remote control Dalek, which is awesome. Things keep falling off my drawers and hitting his eyestalk and making it fall off, though...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,437 Posts
    Well even though 50% of me is in disgust with you, you've earned some respect not copying my whole entire thread. Roll on V6 now :colbert: Actually, easter can't come quick enough. I'm tempted to rewatch the whole series again!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    I'm a Wizard
    March 2006
    2,697 Posts
    I had a sonic screwdriver, not sure where it is at the moment, and a remote control Dalek, which is awesome. Things keep falling off my drawers and hitting his eyestalk and making it fall off, though...
    Which website did you get the Dalek from? Sounds pretty rad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

31. Post #31
    May 2006
    6,219 Posts
    I got it for christmas in 2006 I think, so I don't know where it came from. Probably Toys R Us or something like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32

33. Post #33
    May 2006
    6,219 Posts
    No, it's older than that, one of the bronze ones.

34. Post #34
    I'm a Wizard
    March 2006
    2,697 Posts
    No, it's older than that, one of the bronze ones.
    It talks though right? I really want one that talks. Chasing the dog around the house with it screaming "EXTERMINATE!!" would be so much fun.

35. Post #35
    Propane Nightmares
    May 2007
    8,708 Posts
    Damn I really want a Jammy Dodger now, and I have the feeling I'll get the craving for one every time I read this thread's title.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    May 2006
    6,219 Posts
    It talks though right? I really want one that talks. Chasing the dog around the house with it screaming "EXTERMINATE!!" would be so much fun.
    Yeah it talks, there's about 4 buttons on the controller that you can use to make it say stuff :3: the lights on the side light up when it talks, the eyestalk has a blue light, and it has the gun effect as well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    August 2008
    596 Posts
    I personally carry that one around. I'm seriously considering getting Eleven's off of ThinkGeek while it's $20 and carry that.

38. Post #38
    May 2006
    6,219 Posts
    Which one, the proper screwdriver one or the one that opens and closes?

39. Post #39
    August 2008
    596 Posts
    The one that opens and closes, I don't use screwdrivers enough for that. Though if I did, would be so worth it.

Oh dear god I do construct sets enough. Too bad I'm more liable to use drills.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,137 Posts
    WHY WON'T THE THREAD RENAME GOd

I mis-spelled jammie dodger
    I always spelt jammy dodgers that way. Don't worry about it