1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,414 Posts

So today I decided I wanted to try coding a multiplayer mod in 1 week. Now, usually you'd think this would be a dumb idea but I am certain I can pull it off with your help.

Tell me about this... mod....

The mod itself is going to be a fast paced, semi-classbased multiplayer CTF game. Think a mix of Starsiege Tribes (main inspiration, alot of concepts coming from here), TF2 and Halo.

One of the main ideas is along with the player health, there is an "energy" bar. The energy bar acts a hybrid of power/armour. For instance, the sniper rifle does as much damage as your reserved energy. However jet packing reduces your energy so you'll have to decided when to use it.
    Your energy acts as a shield too.

More importantly, I'm not setting the quality bar on the mod very high so instead of spending 1 month working on a weapon model,you guys can get them out really quickly.

But JLea, shouldn't you be working on Ivan's Secrets?

Correct! However, I've been working on that for 2 years now and haven't really taken a break to flex my new coding muscles. I would like to try coding some unrealistic things for once.

What do you need from me?

If you can model/animate/do voices that'd be great. I'll need voices for the player classes and announcers ("The flag has been taken, get it back"). I'll also need particle systems for jetpacks and the like. Minor props like flags, and weapons will need to be done too. I'll need mappers to do some maps aswell.

If anyone has an art-style in mind that could save time, feel free to tell discuss it. . <<< THIS IS IMPORTANT WORK THIS OUT FIRST

I'll be putting up the public SVN soon

Anyways!

DAY 1 - 8/02/2011

[LIST][*]Valve code setup classes and the basics for me[*]CTF Game mode basics completed. There's a capture area + flag that attaches to the player, you can score with the flag.[*]Jetpack completed.[*]Laser rifle coded (does damage based on your energy reserves, has a constant beam emitting from it other players can see)[*]Energy system coded[*]Chaingun coded, works like the TF2 minigun except there's a much larger cone of fire and no speed reduction.[*]Projectile system that can be used for all weapons.[/LIST]

Flag attaching to player.

Laser rifle beam.

View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JzKr25DQ__s

Tommorow I plan to add announcer support, deployables, 3 new weapons, a base "power source" which is connected to a generator.

DAY 2 - 9/02/2011

We have a player model!

We have a flag

[LIST][*]Generator + power system coded[*]HUD messages added to events (generator blown up, flag captured)[*]Projectile system REALLY fixed.[*]Blaster weapon that deals direct damage to targets health (instead of energy first)[*]forcefield entity added, turns off when the teams power is down.[/LIST]
    DAY 4 - 11/02/2011
    [LIST][*]Added plasma gun, moderate rate of fire, slow projectiles, high radius damage[*]Added rocket, low rate of fire, fast speed, radius damage, sends targets flying around[*]Added 1/4lifes lense flare to the mod, acting as a visor of sorts[*]Added impact FX on shields[*]Changed server convars, players can now bounce around more and there's less friction[*]Added IHazards flag model.[/LIST]
    DAY 5 - 11/02/2011
    [LIST][*]Added particle splashes (REALLY)[*]Plenty new effects[*]Announcer voices[*]Added models for all new weapons.[*]Added pickups[*]Plenty of maps added[/LIST]
    View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QKYz4Tipsxc

DAY 6 - 13/02/2011
    [LIST][*]Added money system[*]Added deployables[*]Added chaingun, spinup time.[*]Made various nerfs + buffs based on feedback.[*]Added new grenade system.[/LIST]
    View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pDAognPH2mE

Thanks IHazard!

PATCH 1.02 is out
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/1week102.rar

JOIN OUR STEAM GROUP IF YOU WANT ANNOUNCEMENTS ON WHEN WE'RE PLAYING!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/facepunch1weekmod
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Winner x 61Optimistic x 4Artistic x 1Funny x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

February 2011
    23 Posts
    I'm on the team. :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,144 Posts
    I can do a map or two if you want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,414 Posts
    That'd be good. With maps, think vertically since the player has a jet-pack. There needs to be a "flag area" and a "generator" area. They need to be somewhat defendable, think a TF2 room (although maybe not, because 2fort is the worst map ever)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Agree Agree x 7 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2009
    4,846 Posts
    So the idea of the Jetpack is similar to how your power is used in Crysis?

6. Post #6

February 2011
    23 Posts
    So the idea of the Jetpack is similar to how your power is used in Crysis?
    what the hell do you mean?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2007
    7,144 Posts
    what the hell do you mean?
    He means it in the sense that you have 100% power, and when you use one of the powers in crysis your power goes down. When it hits 0% you are put at a disadvantage to everyone else and have to wait for it to recharge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,414 Posts
    I guess you COULD call it a suit power.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,708 Posts
    The way the energy works reminds me of crysis
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,414 Posts
    Here's a list of what I need.

*flag model
    *thing that goes around the flag on the floor
    *force field
    *rocket sentry
    *bullet sentry
    *blast wall

These can be really low poly stuff, I don't care.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,146 Posts
    Best OP banner ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

12. Post #12
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,433 Posts
    I'd be more than happy to make maps. Playing too many Halo clones iPod touch FPS's inspired me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts
    Here's a list of what I need.

*flag model
    *thing that goes around the flag on the floor
    *force field
    *rocket sentry
    *bullet sentry
    *blast wall

These can be really low poly stuff, I don't care.
    I might be able to model some stuff. Judge my modelling skills with this picture:

(I made the orbs and the things under them and the map)

14. Post #14
    October 2010
    751 Posts
    Since I started thinking about the art-style,
    I would like to know if things like location,back story,time (sci-fi duh),etc are set in stone or are they open for discussion?

15. Post #15
    Human Garbage
    June 2008
    9,767 Posts
    make all the weapons finger guns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Funny Funny x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    February 2010
    12,433 Posts
    You should also make it like Smashball, with the crowd in the background
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    November 2010
    386 Posts
    I'm on it bro.

18. Post #18
    November 2007
    69 Posts
    Futurama laser tag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Jvs
    PENISCorp's First Employee
    June 2009
    1,613 Posts
    Futurama laser tag.
    Sparky is going to enjoy making some of those viewmodels animations.

20. Post #20
    What exactly does this "generator room" do?

answer quick I have a rough sketch of a map right here right now

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,022 Posts
    That'd be good. With maps, think vertically since the player has a jet-pack. There needs to be a "flag area" and a "generator" area. They need to be somewhat defendable, think a TF2 room (although maybe not, because 2fort is the worst map ever)
    What is this generator area you speak of?

Shit, ninja'd :ninja:

22. Post #22
    November 2010
    386 Posts
    I'm guessing a generator area is where you recharge your super suit batteries

23. Post #23
    I'm guessing a generator area is where you recharge your super suit batteries
    Perhaps maintaining it would buff everyone on the team, letting their suit recharge faster :iiam:

24. Post #24
    February 2010
    12,433 Posts
    Here JLea, have a map. I kept the dev textures just incase you wanted to change them :h:

I added light props so ignore the random light blobs

Linky: http://www.mediafire.com/?cx03btcucmq6i9h

Feel free to change it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    June 2007
    7,144 Posts
    I assumed generator room was a room where there is a generator you destroy it maybe. I have no idea though .

26. Post #26
    December 2009
    4,846 Posts
    Here JLea, have a map. I kept the dev textures just incase you wanted to change them :h:

I added light props so ignore the random light blobs

Linky: http://www.mediafire.com/?cx03btcucmq6i9h

Feel free to change it up.
    Well by the looks of what this mod is trying to acomplish in the given time I doubt hell worry about textures on the maps.

27. Post #27
    February 2010
    12,433 Posts
    Well by the looks of what this mod is trying to acomplish in the given time I doubt hell worry about textures on the maps.
    Well, just incase.

28. Post #28
    November 2010
    386 Posts
    I totally made a flag, what do you guys think? Textures are a WiP

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 16Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Ask me about my everything fetish.
    August 2006
    3,545 Posts
    Donno if it's any good or not but I have this old thing lying around:

It's untextured and not even compiled into source but I'm not using it for anything so... yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    June 2007
    7,144 Posts
    I totally made a flag, what do you guys think? Textures are a WiP

Lovely and quake/unreal tournamenty. Looks awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

31. Post #31
    June 2009
    933 Posts
    What classes where you thinking? Just the regular ones like soldier, engineer, sniper etc?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    October 2010
    11,828 Posts
    Donno if it's any good or not but I have this old thing lying around:

It's untextured and not even compiled into source but I'm not using it for anything so... yeah.
    Those look awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    December 2009
    4,846 Posts
    Can you elaborate more on this generator room?

34. Post #34
    February 2010
    12,433 Posts
    JLea, we Demand more information.

Please.

35. Post #35
    JLea, we Demand more information.

Please.
    He's offline, just wait.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,227 Posts
    Can you elaborate more on this generator room?
    Honestly, if his inspiration is from Tribes, the best bet is to READ UP ON THE GAME. The generator works to power base defenses and equipment selectors. If it's going to be class based, it's probably going to power minor security systems and permanent turrets. With it destroyed, the enemy team has an easier time getting to the flag. It can be repaired before or after being destroyed, same as the permanent turrets, to get everything back online.

Edit: Usually also powers base lights, and red emergency lights pop on after the generator goes down. But I'm not sure how much of this he's planning on coding for 1 week worth of work.

37. Post #37
    December 2009
    4,846 Posts
    Honestly, if his inspiration is from Tribes, the best bet is to READ UP ON THE GAME. The generator works to power base defenses and equipment selectors. If it's going to be class based, it's probably going to power minor security systems and permanent turrets. With it destroyed, the enemy team has an easier time getting to the flag. It can be repaired before or after being destroyed, same as the permanent turrets, to get everything back online.

Edit: Usually also powers base lights, and red emergency lights pop on after the generator goes down. But I'm not sure how much of this he's planning on coding for 1 week worth of work.
    So would it be logical to say that the Generator room can go in each teams base?

38. Post #38
    June 2007
    7,144 Posts
    Alright, I am just gonna base my map on what you're saying, which is good because I already had a big room for the generator to go in.

39. Post #39
    I'm having lotsa fun designing this place with jetpacks in mind

40. Post #40
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)