1. Post #1
    Snoberator
    January 2005
    5,553 Posts

by David Müller

SVN URLS CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://gala.tdoyle.me

>> Like us on Facebook! <<

[h2]TALES FROM THE GALACTOPTICON[/h2]
    TFTG is a comedy set in a sci-fi universe. The focus is on single-player gameplay, and the story revolves around a motley crew of space pirates.

John Solomon, protagonist

Captain Mulholland, Captain

Kalasha Nadali, co-worker

Alex P. Bloodletter, employer

The Winning Smile, vessel

Planned weapons:
    Space glock: much like a real glock in design and functionality
    Mastiff SMG: bulky SMG with an insane rate of fire
    Johnnygun: A weapon designed to look like a Thompson SMG, but with a more futuristic aesthetic. Barrel mag.
    Baseball bat: it's a fucking baseball bat
    Brass knuckles: John Solomon's preferred mode of hand-to-hand combat. These are not actually made of brass, but some futuristic alloy thing probably.
    Flamethrower: It throws flames
    Kazzin Systems AXR: AXR stands for Assault eXtreme Rifle. This rifle was designed on the marine planet of Kazzin and will fall into your blue, three-fingered hands.

New New York WIP maps

The street in front of the Bada Bang gentlemen's club

The interior of the Bada Bang

Synopsis
    It is the future. Human beings have recently come into possession of faster-than-light travel, and many of the nations of Earth (most notably the United States, China, and Great Britain) have rapidly come into their own as mercantile powers. But no arm of the law, however long, can fully cover the vast expanse of space, and those carrying valuable cargo between stars often fall victim to interstellar pirate ships, many of them now crewed by humans. Our hero, John Solomon, is a Laituurian hired gun on the Winning Smile, one of the most feared vessels in the sector. When the Smile is contracted by transstellar the Yellow Cab Company to relieve a the British Empire of their most prized alien artifact, he is thrust into a world of interstellar intrigue, espionage, and alcoholism. Fortunately, the chain-smoking Solomon is just the man, as it were, for the job.

Screenshots and videos:

This mod will include features such as:

SPACESHIPS

GUNS

BRASS KNUCKLES

EXPLOSIONS

RUDE FROGS

and BEDS

FAQ
    Q - When will it be released?
    A - This mod is in early stages. Too soon to predict, but we may do some form of episodic releases.

Q - I have noticed something wrong with one of your models/maps/textures.
    A - We probably know already. Most of the stuff posted here is very WIP.

Q - How do I use the SVN?
    A - First, download and install Tortoise SVN. Make a folder in your sourcemods folder (Program Files/Steam/steamapps/sourcemods) called Galactopticon. Then right-click it and go to SVN Checkout. Paste this URL into the repository bar: http://gala.tdoyle.me/Galactopticon_Mod/

Q - Why is it such generic sci-fi?
    A - Rude.

Q - Is this mod made only made by mods?
    A - No. A lot of mods are involved because we all know each other, and it just panned out that way.

Q - What's wrong with your characters? They're all cartoony looking.
    A - They're supposed to.

Q - Why are all your aliens shaped like people?
    A - None of us is very experienced with animation, and creating a bunch of entirely new skeletons and animations for them would be a lot of extra work. We don't have the time or ability to do that.

You can visit the Galactopticon universe wiki here: www.Galactopticon.net

Or our ModDB profile here: ModDB

Concept art, promo images, screenshots etc:

Right-click > view to see the high res.

Credits approximately:

Bloocobalt (Model mechanic)
    Ilwrath (Model mechanic, military adviser, promotional content)
    Mr. Chop (Mapper)
    PLing (Modeller, military adviser, concept art)
    Daimao (Coder)
    Henry Townshend (Rigging)
    TH89 (Lead developer, Mapping, modelling, texturing, voice acting, writing, casting, racist, sound guy)
    Grismath (Writing)
    VMan (Special in-game effects, voice acting)
    Jaanus (Lead developer, Cool guy, Modelling, Texturing, Model mechanic)
    Maxofs2d (Animation)
    Sparkwire (Animation, modelling)
    CSP499 (Concept art)
    Uberslug (Lead developer, Idea guy, character art, modelling, texturing, voice acting, promotional content, 2D art)
    Jimbomcb (SVN hosting, coding)
    Tdoyle (SVN hosting)
    PhoneBoothAsassin (Mapping, texturing)
    Haxxer (Model mechanic)
    LazGunz (Music)
    Dav0r (Modelling)
    Gnome (Music)
    Opethrocker (Character modelling)

Starring:
    Angry Baker as Nang Yulez
    Billy the Fridge as himself
    TH89 as John Solomon
    Mark Schaffer as Alex P. Bloodletter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Winner Winner x 78Artistic Artistic x 7Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Human Garbage
    June 2008
    9,767 Posts

Excellent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny x 91Optimistic x 5Friendly x 2Agree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2006
    4,149 Posts
    This mod is cool because I am making it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 106Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,048 Posts
    This mod is made by mods
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative x 49Agree x 12Zing x 4Artistic x 2Funny x 1Useful x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I'm a loner who likes to get beat up at school
    June 2009
    11,563 Posts
    this will be the best mod of 2017
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 78Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    October 2010
    11,826 Posts
    This looks awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

7. Post #7
    Human Garbage
    June 2008
    9,767 Posts
    This mod is cool because I am making it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 106Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    July 2009
    3,886 Posts
    Toasting in new thread just so it auto subscribes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

9. Post #9
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,711 Posts
    TFtG: Detecting the Wizards

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,546 Posts
    this mod is cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    November 2009
    3,535 Posts
    Wizardry abounds.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,414 Posts
    Have any new features been coded in yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

13. Post #13
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    moty whenever year this game comes out most definitely
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Snoberator
    January 2005
    5,553 Posts
    jlea wanna code us some features? i'll give you a bj

Edited:

@jlea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 13Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2010
    6,696 Posts
    i thought you were talking to me but then you edited your post i'm crying right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 29 (list)

16. Post #16
    Dennab
    October 2009
    2,131 Posts
    This is fucking BRILLIANT.

I love the Fifth Element-esque 90's sci fi styling, it reminds me of Freelancer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

17. Post #17
    Jlea is only free if bendy knee's are in the BJ offer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    408 Posts
    Oh jesus how did this get here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Killed postal with a fart once.
    December 2007
    8,133 Posts
    Oh jesus how did this get here
    They clicked "New Thread"
    Derp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,546 Posts
    This is fucking BRILLIANT.

I love the Fifth Element-esque 90's sci fi styling, it reminds me of Freelancer.
    it reminds me of the fifth element.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,348 Posts
    Pro skills

Edited:

I made a Facebook group! Everybody "like" it so I can give it a custom URL.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tales-...36567843075933
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 36Winner Winner x 6 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,290 Posts
    And this kids, is why we use trigger_once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

23. Post #23
    Snoberator
    January 2005
    5,553 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Artistic Artistic x 53Winner Winner x 7Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,916 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    July 2009
    3,886 Posts
    I wouldn't be so calm around a guy with a smoking machine gun.

Edited:

Still looks awesome anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,414 Posts
    Now make ingame look like that. Randomly strolling pedestrians, a particle system that collides / objects, random NPC chatter :allears:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 27Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,348 Posts
    Working on it :v
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 18Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,904 Posts
    this mod is cool.
    Ivan's Secrets and this mod are going to be great to play in 2012.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 20Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    I spent $10 on this.
    April 2009
    5,468 Posts
    Fuck. This mod looks so awesome. I can't wait until it's finished so I can play all of it.

30. Post #30
    November 2009
    1,232 Posts
    I've been lurking this thread for a while, and I finally decided to chime in. I've been really curious about the creation of Solomon. Was it just an idea? Did it evolve over time? What sort of planet could lead to the evolution of horns like a Triceratops? Is he just part of a Human/Dinosaur Hybrid species like his partner?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,157 Posts
    I've been lurking this thread for a while, and I finally decided to chime in. I've been really curious about the creation of Solomon. Was it just an idea? Did it evolve over time? What sort of planet could lead to the evolution of horns like a Triceratops? Is he just part of a Human/Dinosaur Hybrid species like his partner?
    no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 31Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,904 Posts
    Is that the answer to all of his questions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 6 (list)

33. Post #33
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,348 Posts
    About 6 or 7 years ago our buddy Grismath wrote some descriptions for planets in what ended up being the Galactopticon universe (he was/is doing his own Dark Forces II mod, The Life Of Grismath, in the same universe) and one of them read as follows:
    This is the world of the Mad Triangle Men, one with scattered mesas and forests, as well as an increasing number of large cities, founded and run by British colonials, which are beginning to encroach on the native tribes of the forests. The Laituurians, while now benefiting from the advanced technology of the British, are second-class citizens on their own world. They will have to integrate their tribal roots into their society, if they wish to have any vestige of the past in the years to come.
    Before Galactopticon, we were kicking around some ideas for mods set in this sci-fi universe, and since there wasn't really any definitive look for the "Triangle Men" I did some drawings to try and come up with something that fit the description without looking too unbelievable. Then when we got into Galactopticon and needed a hero character I based the concepts on the old drawings. The head isn't really definitively triangular anymore but whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

34. Post #34
    November 2009
    1,232 Posts
    About 6 or 7 years ago our buddy Grismath wrote some descriptions for planets in what ended up being the Galactopticon universe (he was/is doing his own Dark Forces II mod, The Life Of Grismath, in the same universe) and one of them read as follows:

Before Galactopticon, we were kicking around some ideas for mods set in this sci-fi universe, and since there wasn't really any definitive look for the "Triangle Men" I did some drawings to try and come up with something that fit the description without looking too unbelievable. Then when we got into Galactopticon and needed a hero character I based the concepts on the old drawings. The head isn't really definitively triangular anymore but whatever.
    This makes me wonder why you didn't make a game about a planet of pyramid heads. The sheer possibilities.

On a more serious note, that's a pretty cool idea. Ripping from Expansionist Colonial Times and re-purposing it for Sci-Fi isn't something that's explored very often.

35. Post #35
    January 2011
    2,462 Posts
    This mod looks fantastic.

A motley crew of space pirates needs more than four people though :colbert:

36. Post #36
    November 2009
    1,232 Posts

Not if they're all complete badasses.

37. Post #37
    October 2009
    4,605 Posts

Ahem?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 83Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,958 Posts
    To be fair though, they're not exactly a crew of space pirates... And they do have C3PO in the back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 18Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,853 Posts
    Are there going to be some crazier weapons like the scorpion?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,157 Posts
    To be fair though, they're not exactly a crew of space pirates... And they do have C3PO in the back.
    And our crew has the Lesbot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)