1. Post #1

November 2010
    122 Posts
    I do! I have a Minolta Maxxum S7000.
    Here's some pics i took with it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 26Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,222 Posts
    Very nice shots. I have technically used film with those crappy disposables! I'd like to try developing my own film, hopefully if I get into Uni I'll get a good shot at it. I picked digital because its such a convenience, but there's no denying film has a certain charm with its look you can't get with digital.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    January 2008
    1,840 Posts
    I do!

There be my camera, Vivitar 220/SL. And about half my lenses for it.

Also have another body of that camera, an Olympus, and a broken Mamayia at home. With the rest of my lenses, flashes, etc.

Wish I had a digital for convenience though. No idea how to develop, nor do I have somewhere to do so, so it takes quite some time to actually get my pictures...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

4. Post #4

November 2010
    122 Posts
    Very nice shots. I have technically used film with those crappy disposables! I'd like to try developing my own film, hopefully if I get into Uni I'll get a good shot at it. I picked digital because its such a convenience, but there's no denying film has a certain charm with its look you can't get with digital.
    Thank you ! I do pay to have my film developed. That's pushing me more and more to DSLR as I can't find anyone to do it cheaply anymore. I agree absolutely, some film photos have a sheen you can't achieve digitally.

I do!

There be my camera, Vivitar 220/SL. And about half my lenses for it.

Also have another body of that camera, an Olympus, and a broken Mamayia at home. With the rest of my lenses, flashes, etc.

Beautiful <3

5. Post #5
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,371 Posts
    medium format. i haven't shot any in a while come to think of it.

i hope your browsers enjoy my 20 images.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 20Winner x 7Funny x 7Zing x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2008
    1,840 Posts
    Thank you ! I do pay to have my film developed. That's pushing me more and more to DSLR as I can't find anyone to do it cheaply anymore. I agree absolutely, some film photos have a sheen you can't achieve digitally.
    I use snapfish to get my stuff developed. I haven't personally seen the prints, but you do get a digital version included. Not the full resolution, but acceptable in quality. My parents have been getting the physical prints, and I'd think they would know if it was shit quality, and they'd tell me.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,353 Posts
    to be honest, i wish i still used film. when i was in school we had to use film, and i just loved developing the film and each individual picture :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

8. Post #8
    October 2007
    1,170 Posts
    There's a rather poor selection of film in my town, and the developing services are fucking terrible. Apart from those two disadvantages, shooting film is an awesome experience and with the insane prices on DSLRS and accesories (I swear I've seen D3000s being sold for something like 1000 dollars, I haven't seen any lenses yet) film is a great option and maybe the only alternative to get a SLR built like a tank and good lenses over here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56263923@N04/page2/
    I'll start developing my stuff in some days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mexico Show Events Artistic Artistic x 18Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,670 Posts
    IMO film gives a surreal feeling to the image, its better for it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,835 Posts
    What are some of the advantages of film other than the unique feeling you get with the image?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

11. Post #11
    October 2007
    1,170 Posts
    Well if you really want to pixelpeep then there's a slightly higher resolution with some film, higher dynamic range, and then of course there's awesome grain, unlike digital noise, and nigga nothing beats black and white film.

Also it's relatively cheap to get a professional body and lenses in comparsion to a DSLR.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mexico Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2010
    5,809 Posts
    Everything just looks better in film, it's a fact.

I used 16mm tri-x reversal film in film school, pretty sure the camera was an Arriflex

Edited:

Also, I have a Kodak Brownie Bull's-Eye Camera, but it only takes Kodak 620 film and I can't find it :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,683 Posts
    bopie, how do you scan your images so well?

I need to get my two rolls processed and I just keep putting it off. Two rolls of 200 Kodak Elite Chrome.

14. Post #14
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,371 Posts
    to be honest i just drop off my rolls and ask for a CD back

VV

Looking at the exif, I guess it shows how they scanned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,683 Posts
    I'm afraid to ask for a CD. Knowing that they only hold 600Mbs, I feel like they will give me lower quality versions.

16. Post #16
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,371 Posts
    I still get the negatives, I just haven't gotten around to buying a scanner.

I get 10 images at about 5mb each on a single CD, next time I'll ask if they could bump it up.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,937 Posts
    Yep, love it. Film is still used hugely by professional photographers for its gorgeous results if used correctly. I know of a photographer for an Australian BMX magazine that shoots exclusively with Large Format film - shit takes skill.

I personally stick with 35mm on my Pentax MX.

Keys by Sam Haberman, on Flickr

Self Portrait by Sam Haberman, on Flickr

Blue by Sam Haberman, on Flickr

Agapanthus by Sam Haberman, on Flickr

Fountain by Sam Haberman, on Flickr

Will by Sam Haberman, on Flickr

Hunter by Sam Haberman, on Flickr

Butts by Sam Haberman, on Flickr

Poppy by Sam Haberman, on Flickr

/photowall
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

18. Post #18

November 2010
    122 Posts
    Everything just looks better in film, it's a fact.

I used 16mm tri-x reversal film in film school, pretty sure the camera was an Arriflex

Edited:

I remember seeing something that was a tutorial on converting regular fujifilm to kodak 620.
    anyone back me up on this?
    Also, I have a Kodak Brownie Bull's-Eye Camera, but it only takes Kodak 620 film and I can't find it :C
    Edited:

I remember seeing something that was a tutorial on converting regular fujifilm to kodak 620.
    anyone back me up on this?

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,147 Posts
    There's a rather poor selection of film in my town, and the developing services are fucking terrible. Apart from those two disadvantages, shooting film is an awesome experience and with the insane prices on DSLRS and accesories (I swear I've seen D3000s being sold for something like 1000 dollars, I haven't seen any lenses yet) film is a great option and maybe the only alternative to get a SLR built like a tank and good lenses over here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56263923@N04/page2/
    I'll start developing my stuff in some days.
    Oh wow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    December 2008
    203 Posts
    I only use film for my photo class at school. We have to develop the film and prints ourselves, and itís terribly time consuming because thereís about 6 film tanks, and 10 enlargers, 4 of which done really work, for a 30 kid class.

It's awesome getting to do every step of the process ourselves.

21. Post #21
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,944 Posts
    ok, here's a wall of photos of mine I pretty much exclusively use film, except when I'm doing assignments in which case I do a mix of film and digital 9can't risk fucking it up)

table and chair by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

the light and the carpark by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

permits only by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

reload by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

crooked bus by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

changing lanes by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

QV1.2 by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

glass and water by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

off in the distance by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

Daytime Praise &amp; Worship #2 by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

background band practise by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

outdoor stairs by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

traffic on traffic by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

Money Street by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

Apple by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

light sculpture by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

night carpark by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

maple trees and pavement by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

stairs to nowhere by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

modular design and lens flares by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

Skateboarding in the mall #3 by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

sorry for destroying your b/w, hope you like them!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    I went shopping for some earphones just now and the store had a Buy two get three thing going for some 200 Asa color film so I just bought them. I recently also bought a Pentax ME Super :D
    Film is really fun actually. It makes you think about composition more than with digital. Plus the equipment is very cheap(excluding buying film and getting it developed)
    I'd say it's a must to try if you like photography
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

23. Post #23
    January 2011
    770 Posts
    photowall
    I love them.

My only complaint would be on this one that the blue pole is kind of distracting, and somehow the focus seems kind of off.

I have one of those as well. Check this out: http://www.getnet.net/~gstewart/respool.htm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,147 Posts
    ok, here's a wall of photos of mine I pretty much exclusively use film, except when I'm doing assignments in which case I do a mix of film and digital 9can't risk fucking it up)

reload by jhaslehurst, on Flickr

off in the distance by jhaslehurst, on Flickr
    I like these two.
    Maybe you could do a series of people on benches?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #25
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,944 Posts
    I like these two.
    Maybe you could do a series of people on benches?
    when I saw your post (on my phone) I thought "oh yeah, some smartass taking a crack" then I saw it was you and I realised it was serious

It's certainly an interesting concept, what style would you think, complete improvisation (take a photo of a stranger sitting on a bench), semi planned (the top one where the guy, jeremy, has to change rolls and I grabbed a snap) or totally planned (like the bottom one where I told the girl, Clarrisa, to sit on the bench)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26

February 2011
    5 Posts
    Wow! Bopie....your medium format ones are amazing!! Is your camera autofocus? And what 120 film do you use?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    soy un perdedor
    July 2010
    4,371 Posts
    Wow! Bopie....your medium format ones are amazing!! Is your camera autofocus? And what 120 film do you use?
    Pentax 67. It's a full manual camera, not even metered. I use my 5D to get the settings, then match the settings on the 67. I shoot Kodak Ektar 100, and Fuji Pro 800. My lens is the Takumar SMC 105 f/2.4. I think I paid like $600 for the whole setup.

Here's a shitty picture of it (obviously the one that says pentax on it)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,147 Posts
    when I saw your post (on my phone) I thought "oh yeah, some smartass taking a crack" then I saw it was you and I realised it was serious

It's certainly an interesting concept, what style would you think, complete improvisation (take a photo of a stranger sitting on a bench), semi planned (the top one where the guy, jeremy, has to change rolls and I grabbed a snap) or totally planned (like the bottom one where I told the girl, Clarrisa, to sit on the bench)?
    I guess that's something you'll have to work out for yourself.
    Whatever you feel comfortable with most, but trust me, it's always nice having a series of photographs on the same theme.
    Feels really 'complete'.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,718 Posts
    want to get back into film but im poor as fuck. I have a few rolls of ultramax 400 lying around which i might use sometime

Edited:

ninja friend by codenamecueball, on Flickr

Edited:

thats some serious 50mm 1.7 pentax action
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,958 Posts
    Pentax 67. It's a full manual camera, not even metered. I use my 5D to get the settings, then match the settings on the 67. I shoot Kodak Ektar 100, and Fuji Pro 800. My lens is the Takumar SMC 105 f/2.4. I think I paid like $600 for the whole setup.

Here's a shitty picture of it (obviously the one that says pentax on it)

clever idea working settings back and forth

This was taken on my mom's old Nikon FE using old film she had with it.

I also have my dad's Pentax... something. It was a sears-specific model but it's nice and has some more lenses to play with.

I'm fascinated with old film cameras, I always stop at antique shops and dig through their selection. Sometimes Goodwills have something neat, but 90% of the time they'll just have crap 1990's generic plastic point and clicks

some stuff from the other day

looking at this- cost $65 at the shop, will try bartering later. The 28-70 lens is jammed so you can only zoom about 35-55, pissed me off. Comes with a wire trigger, and I love that leather

bought this little bugger for $2, I just need the film. Shutter was jammed but I tinkered with it and something like a grain of sand fell out, works like a charm now.

the Montgomery Ward & Co Chicago "Premium", missing the lens and the big black cloak to hang over your head when changing slides, but comes with two of the original slides and is in amazing condition. $250... look but don't buy in my books.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,683 Posts
    Got my film to the photo place today (Gasser's for those interested). Asked for them to put it on digital. The worst part is that they charge a fuck ton for high res digital. What the fuck is that shit about? At least I'll get the film back. I'll scan it myself. Super excited.

200 Kodak Chrome Elite

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    278 Posts
    Just got a second hand Canon F1-N with a 50mm 1.4 FD lens and a 35mm-150mm FD lens. The camera is a bit dirty (it's over 20 years old), but I've loaded a bit of black and white film and can't wait to get some of my shots processed!

Anyone have any tips for me regarding cleaning the camera? Each lens is a bit dirty, but with cleaning they're looking fine. Looking through the viewfinder however, it still looks dirty (small hairs, dust, dirt). I've taken off the lens and cleaned the mirror in the body but I dunno what to do because it's still a bit dirty when looking through the viewfinder. I hope it's not too noticeable in my shots!

Edited:

Image from google:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events

33. Post #33
    Facepunch iSeries!
    November 2007
    4,363 Posts
    There should be glass directly above the mirror, try cleaning that.

Sort of where that red dot is on the front of the camera.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    278 Posts
    That was spotless :/ I'm starting to think that the dirt is behind it?

35. Post #35
    Diamond Member
    January 2009
    8,122 Posts
    medium format. i haven't shot any in a while come to think of it.

i hope your browsers enjoy my 20 images.

Dat bianchi :h:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    278 Posts
    Finished my first roll of B&W film today, ISO 200. I didn't do my homework previously and set some photos at a different ISO speed, so most will be ruined when I get them printed. Reckon I should get them developed? Only about 4-5 might be usable :S
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    October 2008
    503 Posts
    Do it, I've set a colour 200ASA film to over 1000 before and still got usable pictures, to B+W will be fine.

Also, some medium format pictures coming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    278 Posts
    Thanks buddy. €14.99 is a bit expensive to develop the Ilford B&W but I'll try and get it done over the next week :) I've got a 24 shot roll in this baby now, gonna be using it definitely on paddy's day :)

39. Post #39
    RESIDENT ASBESTOS OBSESSIVE
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Anyone know of any good, cheap M42 mount bodies?
    The lens for my OM-10 is broken and I already have some M42 lenses.

40. Post #40
    October 2007
    1,170 Posts
    Anyone know of any good, cheap M42 mount bodies?
    The lens for my OM-10 is broken and I already have some M42 lenses.
    I use my grandad's Pentax Spotmatic II, which is one bad motherfucker of a camera. Any of the Spotmatic series should be fine; they all are those classic, completely mechanical, built-like-a-tank-to-last-you-a-lifetime cameras with all you need to take some fine ass pictures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mexico Show Events