1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    353 Posts
    I don't know whether it's appreciated because there's already a Photography Thread but all I see in there are shots captured with a DSLR and since there are real competitions for having the best picture shot with a mobile phone I wanted to give my idea the chance of opening a thread at Facepunch.

Actually I own one myself but you don't always have a DSLR when you need one so a Mobile Phone beats a DSLR in terms of mobility. Perhaps some people at Facepunch are willing to show the haters that the only thing you really need in order to make great shots is an artistic eye!

Those shots were made with a Nokia 5800 Xpress Music. It only has a 3.2 Megapixel sensor and f/2.8 / 3.7, so yeah, technically it really sucks:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 15 (list)

2. Post #2
    Facepunch iSeries!
    November 2007
    4,363 Posts
    Nice idea, I'll see if I still have any of my phone shots around.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,668 Posts
    I think this thread didn't need to be made, IF your a good photographer it doesn't matter whether is a mobile phone or an SLR, it will be a good photo if you know what you're doing. (but SLR's help a little)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,908 Posts
    I think this thread didn't need to be made, IF your a good photographer it doesn't matter whether is a mobile phone or an SLR, it will be a good photo if you know what you're doing. (but SLR's help a little)
    The control and faster lenses (f stop) used in DSLRs gives the photographer a big edge, especially in action photography.

5. Post #5
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,597 Posts
    while it is true, it is still interesting seeing how much someone can get specifically out of a mobile phone or similar device.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #6
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,045 Posts
    try [url][/url]

7. Post #7
    RESIDENT ASBESTOS OBSESSIVE
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    I'll post some Urbex shots off my phone later today.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    1,690 Posts
    Only one that looks ok:

HTC Touch Diamond 2 aka Topaz (5MP f2.8)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    July 2010
    2,155 Posts
    A repost and a new one, both from an iPhone 4. (5MP for anyone who doesn't know)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,801 Posts
    Really like the idea, but i don't have a way to get the pictures on my phone to my computer. :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    410 Posts
    I attach them as an attachment in Gmail on my phone, then save them from there on my laptop.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    353 Posts
    A repost and a new one, both from an iPhone 4. (5MP for anyone who doesn't know)

I really like the colours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,597 Posts
    a little satire on the fact of mobile cameras, in this case the iPad

had a heart attack when he threw the camera but the hollow rubber sound gave it away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    July 2010
    2,155 Posts
    I really like the colours.
    Thanks.
    As I've said before in another thread (wherever I posted it), it's completely unedited, straight from the phone.

15. Post #15
    May 2006
    22 Posts

Does the balance look good? I'm trying HDR.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,597 Posts
    went drinking today and actually got into a discussion starting with a statement from my friend about how my camera does a lot of the work for me. Instead of just arguing against, I posed a thought for him to ponder on about how subjective proper art is; how it doesn't matter what the camera is, but what the artist does. Sure, you can tell a child "go to this place at this time and use these settings to take a picture of this thing", but even then the child will not come back with the same photos an artist, a proper photographer would.

Using a crappy camera, say, my phone, a good artist could come up with anything and others would say "wow that's nice", but then again art is subjective; a famous artist could slap paint on a canvas with no meaning and yet people will buy it and talk for hours about how deep it is, and your mom can take the most expensive camera known to man, take a picture that means everything to her, and people will judge it like it's just another snapshot from a disposable camera.

I took a shot not even thinking about it, of the glass sitting in front of him and asked him to think about what makes it artistic, and what makes it "just a picture I snapped ten seconds ago of your beer".

What do you guys see? I felt a critic or an onlooker could gaze at it and talk about the juxtaposition of the warm and cool lights to the sides, the warm vs the cool reflections in the parts of the glass with and without liquid, of the woman in the class and the ruffles of the napkin representing some emotion I would never have thought of. Art is in the eye of who views, but who is to say that there isn't more human element to mechanical in the process of taking a photo that's even a little worthwhile?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts

Some Urbex shots I took a while ago with my phone.

18. Post #18
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,597 Posts
    damn that's a nice phone camera

also now that I'm not all drunk and philosophical, here's a panorama I did with my cell. 180 degree view, though it doesn't look it.

19. Post #19
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    Liking that Panorama, here's one I took from mine using the awesome automatic panorama mode (chose this one because I like the lens flare to the left), no photoshop or post editing involved.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,455 Posts
    Decided to try out my phone camera as well lads, (HTC Desire, 5MP):

Original & Edited (think i added too much split tone):
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts
    I can't be bothered to edit my phones photos as they usually look fine SOOC.
    Motorola Milestone XT720 (Motorola are shit on the software side, and don't bother upgrading android, but the hardware is great), 8.0MP, f2.8-(?) 28mm lens, xenon flash, laser+lamp assisted autofocus, etc.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,352 Posts

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,960 Posts
    I actually just posted a bunch of my cell phone photography in the other thread.
    Had no idea that this thread even existed.

Anyway, here is the link to my post: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/105...1#post28875645

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    353 Posts
    I actually just posted a bunch of my cell phone photography in the other thread.
    Had no idea that this thread even existed.

Anyway, here is the link to my post: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/105...1#post28875645
    I like most of your perspectives but was it really necessery to edit them THAT much? o.O

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,960 Posts
    I like most of your perspectives but was it really necessery to edit them THAT much? o.O
    The ones in that post I didn't edit at all. It was an in-house app edit that Vignette did.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    435 Posts
    Brownies that i made!
    A little blurry due to hand shaking

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    500 Posts
    http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5850/p00064.jpg [url]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4004/p00344e.jpg[/url]First one was taken on a LG Muziq/Fuzic and the second was taken on a LG Rumor2. Sorry about the size.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,067 Posts
    Saw this in the parking lot of a mall.

Taken with my Optimus 2x.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

29. Post #29
    Facepunch iSeries!
    November 2007
    4,363 Posts
    What the fuck...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    July 2008
    5,507 Posts

This guy is pretty damn good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,899 Posts
    went drinking today and actually got into a discussion starting with a statement from my friend about how my camera does a lot of the work for me. Instead of just arguing against, I posed a thought for him to ponder on about how subjective proper art is; how it doesn't matter what the camera is, but what the artist does. Sure, you can tell a child "go to this place at this time and use these settings to take a picture of this thing", but even then the child will not come back with the same photos an artist, a proper photographer would.

Using a crappy camera, say, my phone, a good artist could come up with anything and others would say "wow that's nice", but then again art is subjective; a famous artist could slap paint on a canvas with no meaning and yet people will buy it and talk for hours about how deep it is, and your mom can take the most expensive camera known to man, take a picture that means everything to her, and people will judge it like it's just another snapshot from a disposable camera.

I took a shot not even thinking about it, of the glass sitting in front of him and asked him to think about what makes it artistic, and what makes it "just a picture I snapped ten seconds ago of your beer".

What do you guys see? I felt a critic or an onlooker could gaze at it and talk about the juxtaposition of the warm and cool lights to the sides, the warm vs the cool reflections in the parts of the glass with and without liquid, of the woman in the class and the ruffles of the napkin representing some emotion I would never have thought of. Art is in the eye of who views, but who is to say that there isn't more human element to mechanical in the process of taking a photo that's even a little worthwhile?

To me photography is more about the journey that was taken to get to the photograph than the technical aspirations of it, which is merely wrapping for the present that is the story behind it. You just sat there and took a picture of a glass.. not special, although it's not the camera that makes it 'not special'

32. Post #32
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BEN FOLDS FETISH
    April 2010
    6,604 Posts
    I took a picture of a cat that looked just like that.

Shame she died some time ago.

My cat:

On an LG Voyager from 2008
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,731 Posts
    http://filesmelt.com/dl/03042011-DSC00413.jpg
    Taken on a Sony Ericsson C510 Cyber-shot, 3.2MP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Chile Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    353 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Hi Jo
    February 2009
    22,848 Posts
    -snip-

36. Post #36
    March 2006
    4,109 Posts
    Instagram shots. Cry me a fucking river.

http://instagr.am/p/BifWA/

http://instagr.am/p/Bifo2/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,597 Posts
    ^done right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    March 2010
    1,727 Posts
    Some crappy iphone shots of me having tea on my balcony.

Edited on the iphone too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    M24
    January 2011
    229 Posts
    Awesome photos!

Don't know if i'd like that view though. Where is it?

Edited:

Looks like dubai
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    3,217 Posts
    You guys have pretty sweet camera phones, HD2 repreSENT

Someone is burning Nireland down, the smoke is coming from a place called Pigeon top 30minutes drive away!