1. Post #1
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    I'm working on a womans' HP mini laptop and the BIOS is password protected. She doesn't know the password, and I'm not able to find any information on getting it cleared or reset to factory defaults on Google. All I'm able to find are scammers directing people to websites where you have to pay them to get it done, and they don't actually do anything but scam you out of money.

All of the usual culprits like removing the CMOS battery / laptop battery / AC power don't do the trick (hurr dur HP stores the password in non-volatile memory.)

Does anyone have an HP Mini 110 and know how to reset the blasted password? I can't fix this laptop without getting into the BIOS.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,158 Posts
    I doubt it can be done but maybe flash it to a different version?

3. Post #3
    August 2009
    218 Posts
    I doubt it can be done but maybe flash it to a different version?
    I use my HP mini 110c daily, the passwords are still there when you flash it.

Try looking at the documentation for the model on HP's website.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,158 Posts
    You might just have to make a reader and find the chip where the password is stored. That'd be a real bitch.

5. Post #5
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,081 Posts
    probably uses EPROM, Unless you have some leet uv radiation skills you have no hope.

I'd contact the vendor.
    Why do you even need to be in the BIOS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6

March 2011
    117 Posts
    -snip my testicles

7. Post #7
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    probably uses EPROM, Unless you have some leet uv radiation skills you have no hope.

I'd contact the vendor.
    Why do you even need to be in the BIOS?
    The question is, why wouldn't you want to be able to get into the BIOS. You don't buy a machine to be held ransom to the manufacturer.

Anyway, it looks pretty hopeless. I tried the manufacturers "reset to default configuration" option and now the thing has a damn boot password on it, perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,158 Posts
    That's fucking shitty.

9. Post #9
    November 2010
    5,525 Posts
    That's HP.
    Fixed that for you.

I wonder why the guys designing this laptop thought it would be a good idea to put a boot/BIOS password but give no way to reset it.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,158 Posts
    Yes I'm fimilar with HP's general shittyness.

11. Post #11
    Asshole Extraordinaire
    Dennab
    May 2005
    3,705 Posts
    Well since the machine already has other severe problems, the woman said I could have it if it was unfixable. Not really much that can be salvaged off of it though; maybe the RAM and the screen (think the hard drive is fucked from a head strike.)