1. Post #1
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    NOTE: FC crashed on me before I got to night. Take that into account

Well, I actual bought fortresscraft today (not the best decision I've made, but oh well) and I'm gonna write a comparison of these two games.

Graphics:
    It is somewhat divided, but FC takes the cake. There is good consistency in MC, but FC is mostly consistent with the exception of the pickaxe, which looks a bit out of place.
    Winner: FC

Controls:
    MC has the controls we all know and love, simple and easy.

FC on the other hand, is terrible. There is no explanation on the controls at all, and it took me 5 minutes to learn how to place a block other than steel plating. You use the bumper buttons (which feel uncomfortable versus the trigger buttons, which I believe should have been used) to place and kill blocks. To switch blocks, you have to use the control pad to navigate this god awful interface (press a button to select a category, trigger buttons switch through blocks but you can't go out of the category you are in. The category's also aren't named/organized in any logical way, and it's hard to see which block is next) However, it does have a nice mini map.... which you access by pushing down the left stick. Also, you can only set the sensitivity for both sticks, not just one. Since the sensitivty for the right stick is way to low, you have no choice but to turn it up, which combined with a lack of sneak (it might be there but I can't find it), causes you to fall off platforms repeatedly.

Winner: MC

Gameplay
    Technically, they are the same game. However, minecraft currently has more features (I have yet to see a minecart/redstone/wolf/creeper/spider yet in FC). FC however, has a 'goal' (Find relics that unlock TNT and stuff)

Technical stuff
    First of all, you must be connected to xbox live to play. And if you happen to disconnect accidentaly, it will save your wor- Oh, no it won't. It will trash your world, blame you for having bad internet (I'm serious) and crash on you. Also, if you don't have a world saved and press load world, it will instantly crash on you.

Overall winner: MC

FC could be as good as creative MC, but it needs a better control scheme and some technical issues resolved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative x 30Optimistic x 3Disagree x 3Funny x 3Dumb x 2Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,179 Posts
    And DJ Keemstar still thinks this piece of shit is good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 32Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2009
    5,049 Posts
    I'm trying to understand why you bought Fortress Craft when you already have Minecraft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    Just started FC back up, there actually is a tutorial.

Edited:

I'm trying to understand why you bought Fortress Craft when you already have Minecraft.
    To write a review and settle this once and for all, and because I was on a indie game buying spree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,788 Posts
    I don't understand why you would bother 'reviewing' them since it was obvious Minecraft would be the 'winner' don't bother trying to make it look unbiased. I completely agree though, even if it wasn't the most impartial of reviews, besides it's not like anyone is going to argue Fortresscraft is better anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    Internet died on me again, and it kicked me out.

Edited:

I don't understand why you would bother 'reviewing' them since it was obvious Minecraft would be the 'winner' don't bother trying to make it look unbiased. I completely agree though, even if it wasn't the most impartial of reviews, besides it's not like anyone is going to argue Fortresscraft is better anyway.
    The FC boys don't think MC would win.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    February 2010
    1,876 Posts
    What's gay is how they can't add in everything because the game would be so big it would hit the restriction on indie games. They have to release it in chapters and you have to basically buy every update. At least from what I'm hearing this is true. I'd buy the game but sadly Microsoft isn't so nice when it comes to $0.00.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    July 2009
    4,181 Posts
    FC has higher res textures, not better textures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 54Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,448 Posts
    Minecraft looks better to me than Fortresscraft, honestly. High res textures on blocks don't look good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 71Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    220 Posts
    Minecraft will win every time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 20Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,926 Posts
    Minecraft will win every time.
    Pretty much, I still think the Graphics for minecraft doesnt quite suit the Xbox Live Avatars. Same with that bloody pickaxe... You can change the graphics a bit to more minecrafty graphics in the menu's. And it doesnt look as bad. (Edit: I dont beleive it... I've found a even uglyer Pickaxe called... "Recon"... And its like what recon armor in Halo 3, Limited Edition, Its fucking ugly in my opinion)

But, i am still interested in how Fortress Craft will shape up still, Its still something to watch out for.

Now, if they can just get someone other than DJ Keemstar as the PR...

12. Post #12
    August 2010
    203 Posts
    Is there anything in FortressCraft that Minecraft lacks? Anything that made you go 'that would be cool in Minecraft.'?

13. Post #13
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,387 Posts
    It has nice water. That's about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    13,197 Posts

My review.

Furnost is buttfrustrated
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner x 25Funny x 7Dumb x 1Agree x 1Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    August 2010
    203 Posts

My review.
    What is that terrible clunking sound? Is that in-game, or in the backround of the video?

16. Post #16
    February 2010
    5,499 Posts
    What is that terrible clunking sound? Is that in-game, or in the backround of the video?
    The footsteps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Zing Zing x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2009
    3,742 Posts
    Minecraft: Good
    FortressCraft: Bad

we can all agree on that right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 45Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    13,197 Posts
    Walking noise.

The background music was pretty nice in the morning but I couldn't hear it because every second was just CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK CRACK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    October 2010
    10,403 Posts
    Minecraft: Good
    FortressCraft: Bad

we can all agree on that right?
    No, FortressCraft is horrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    February 2010
    6,750 Posts
    And terrible lighting that makes every type of block look metal and wet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,092 Posts
    What about a manic digger review, probably would be less of a bloodbath
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Golden Moderator
    March 2011
    211 Posts
    Will Minecraft ever come to consoles somehow? if not then FortressCraft is good because it brings those gameplay mechanics to console.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    I'm dumb! You don't have an excuse!
    July 2009
    5,485 Posts
    Graphics:
    It is somewhat divided, but FC takes the cake. There is good consistency in MC, but FC is mostly consistent with the exception of the pickaxe, which looks a bit out of place.
    Winner: FC
    What the fuck? You couldn't be more wrong! Fortress Craft looks exactly like a 256x256 texture pack that doesn't fit the block theme at all. It's terrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,260 Posts
    I found this piece of gold on a Fortresscraft YouTube video:

:frog:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 42Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    13,197 Posts
    Will Minecraft ever come to consoles somehow? if not then FortressCraft is good because it brings those gameplay mechanics to console.
    Never use FortressCraft and good in the same sentence
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,260 Posts

This obviously biased guy says all this negativity about PC gamers, but almost nothing about console gamers. I am seriously thinking at this point that we should do nothing and let this horseshit die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,192 Posts

This obviously biased guy says all this negativity about PC gamers, but almost nothing about console gamers. I am seriously thinking at this point that we should do nothing and let this horseshit die.

Yeah, like he doesn't hate PC gamers.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,990 Posts
    Never use FortressCraft and good in the same sentence
    Unless, of course, not is in between.

Yeah, putting hi-res textures on simple cubes is like putting a dress on an elephant, it doesn't make it any more sexy, and it is actually kind of terrifying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Financial Expert
    July 2008
    2,144 Posts
    I hate the graphics in FortressCraft. What are you on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

30. Post #30
    April 2011
    1,452 Posts
    Thanks for the review, I was curious how "good" it would be. I may buy it later on when it gets a few more features just to play with my console gamer friends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    November 2010
    1,263 Posts
    FortressCraft was probably made by someone who couldnt bare to see a popular game that was PC exclusive, so he made some blatant copy with little effort put in
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member

August 2008
    2,918 Posts
    View YouTUBE video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Epu0SNUN7aY

He has some really good points.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    Not actually a glitch
    May 2005
    4,601 Posts
    This is why games are going no where. I still consider this a ripoff because of* the way the game plays is almost identical to Minecraft. People say all games are ripped off one another - but this genre and gameplay is so specific it just cries blatant clone. It's like someone trying to remake Katamari Damacy with better graphics. Obvious ripoff and shameful addition to today's "creativity".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,260 Posts
    He has some really good points.
    His main argument can be shot right down. I mean yeah, Minecraft is sort of like infiniminer, but not as much as he is saying. Infiniminer has only a couple of different blocks (I think) and as far as i have seen, the only game play is building. Minecraft is building, but with defending, graphics that actually make the game look nice instead of this 256x256 bullshit, and a dedicated development team. (Plus notch doesn't have a giantic fucking ego the size of Jupiter *cough*Fortresscraft maker*cough*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

35. Post #35
    November 2009
    2,137 Posts
    The only thing I prefer on FortressCraft is the way the world is generated, the blocks raise up from the ground rather than go transparent then slowly load.

36. Post #36
    July 2009
    1,096 Posts
    Sorry about the wall of text below, it's mostly to dissuade people who haven't bought FortressCraft yet from doing so. Also, I was mad at how terribly the developer rushed this game out and I needed a place to vent. It's all valid criticism though, so if you're undecided on whether to get it or not, or just want to know more about it (mainly the flaws), give it a read.

I too have bought FortressCraft, and I must say, OP, you're being incredibly nice about it. This has got to be one of the buggiest, unfinished loads of shit I have ever seen released seriously for any platform. I mean, honestly, I start up the game, and I press the back button because on the on-screen tutorial that it shows you it looked to be corresponding to some command that escapes me at the moment that I wanted to try, but it actually shut down the tutorial. So I too had to find out the controls on my own, and yeah, they definitely rank amongst the top least intuitive and badly designed controls of all time.

But then it got really bad when I actually figured out how to play. I deleted a block on the ground, and was greeted by a nice gaping hole into the skybox. I thought "Wow, that's unlucky, the first block I delete and this happens." So I do it again in a different spot and it happens again. This was on a single player game. It happens so often that I began to wonder if this game had been tested for more than 10 minutes. And just for the sake of knowledge, in this game, when you delete a block, it doesn't just go away, it has this flashy little outline effect as it disappears and dust floats around where it was taken from. And oh my fucking god, when you're deleting blocks above you, dust will actually fall onto you and block your view. And when you create a block, it can't just pop up, oh no, a little green grid block thing fills the space for a second, like the game wants to make sure you understand that it's "generating" this block out of the ether, and then it appears, which just adds to the lag (see the paragraph below for how fucking bad this gets in the multiplayer). Another of the biggest bugs is that natural blocks will sometimes have a single, pitch-black side. This will happen sparsely throughout the generated level, but it will sometimes affect a row of blocks, or even an entire wall. It will also happen very often to flat surfaces on any large structure you build, which can get very annoying.

And then, oh my Lord, the online service is the #1 worst, laggiest (word?) online service I have EVER seen. It's just the general lag stuff - people appearing to run in place but are actually moving on their own screen, placing/deleting blocks and it only being client-side, deleting blocks and having the skybox appear behind it, or having large areas filled with the green grid-box blocks just sitting there like they're pouting and don't want to become what they're supposed to until you've threatened them by killing a few of their neighbors - only CONSTANTLY. Seriously, me and a friend were joining random servers (oh yeah, and it doesn't even support parties or invites yet, so we just had to keep searching until we both found the same game), and literally everything we did was client-side, anything the other did didn't affect us physically, nor could we see it.

And probably my biggest complaint, since it's not a bug, or a mistake, or releasing it prematurely, is the relic system. Now, imagine this with me; you start up Minecraft, and there's an update. You find out that Notch has hidden several very valuable treasures randomly throughout all Minecraft worlds. You think to yourself that they would be on the surface, or in rather large shrines, or surrounded by a special material, that you could make a tracker, or at least that they would emit some kind of sound when you got close. But you find out that each item is hidden completely randomly, ANYWHERE underground, throughout the world, they take up one block of space, and there is absolutely no indication of location other than direct line of sight. No tracker, no special material, no noise. Can you imagine trying to find these things without cheating somehow? Because that's exactly they did with the relics. But of course, the game does allow you to hook up a keyboard, which I used to find all of them. And in case you were wondering, these are like unlockable cheats, but they're not even well done. There's a speed boost, a jump boost, a mining hat with a light on the front(thought that was a good idea, honestly, or it would have been if I didn't have infinite torches (which, by the way, when placed on a wall will float above the ground in the same straight-vertical position as when placed directly onto the ground, and can only be deleted by placing a solid block over top of them)), night vision (which sucks absolute shit, it literally just turns the screen green, doesn't help with vision at all), a ray gun, which honestly just extends the range from which you can delete a block in a flashy way, and the freeze gun, which when turned on initiates "freeze tag", which makes it so no one can build, and starts a game of long-ranged tag that is IMPOSSIBLE to play online because of the shitty lag and can only be stopped by stopping the server.

Oh yeah, and that is the ONLY way to spawn water at this point, with a keyboard. And even when you are able to place it, it doesn't flow, or fall as it moves away from the source, it just fills everything on and below the level of the source block until it hits a wall, so it is very possible to flood your entire world with one water block. Of course, it's not like water even affects you, it's just a visual effect, which by the way acts as a completely opaque wall blocking anything underneath it, giving you the semblance of one who's cut in half when standing in it. Not to worry though, it doesn't even save water in the level. In fact, if you go onto an online sever, you loose anything you built in your single player game. And if you start a new world, you loose any relics you had collected (although they said this was a mistake, it's just more proof they shouldn't have released this game yet). Oh, and one last thing that got on my nerves, is that you can't even blow up TNT at first; the detonator is a relic. And you can't even determine when they blow up; the fuckin things light themselves, if you have the detonator, immediately after being placed, and explode on what seems to me is a completely random timer.

tl; dr
    FortressCraft is a horribly buggy, obviously rushed Minecraft wannabe with no functionality outside of placing and deleting blocks that failed terribly at implementing the one unique thing it had going for it (relics), a terrible online service, and an apparent hatred for any work the player has accomplished (Saved files being constantly deleted by simply playing online, losing all obtained relics when creating a new world, of which you can have only one).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 14Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,577 Posts
    His main argument can be shot right down. I mean yeah, Minecraft is sort of like infiniminer, but not as much as he is saying. Infiniminer has only a couple of different blocks (I think) and as far as i have seen, the only game play is building. Minecraft is building, but with defending, graphics that actually make the game look nice instead of this 256x256 bullshit, and a dedicated development team. (Plus notch doesn't have a giantic fucking ego the size of Jupiter *cough*Fortresscraft maker*cough*
    Minecraft was made to expand on the ideas of Infiniminer, it even says so on the main page. The Minecraft clones on the otherhand are almost* all just straight clones with no effort put in to try to ride on Minecraft's success.

*The iPhone/Android copies look pretty cool though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,671 Posts
    Sorry about the wall of text below, it's mostly to dissuade people who haven't bought FortressCraft yet from doing so. Also, I was mad at how terribly the developer rushed this game out and I needed a place to vent. It's all valid criticism though, so if you're undecided on whether to get it or not, or just want to know more about it (mainly the flaws), give it a read.

I too have bought FortressCraft, and I must say, OP, you're being incredibly nice about it. This has got to be one of the buggiest, unfinished loads of shit I have ever seen released seriously for any platform. I mean, honestly, I start up the game, and I press the back button because on the on-screen tutorial that it shows you it looked to be corresponding to some command that escapes me at the moment that I wanted to try, but it actually shut down the tutorial. So I too had to find out the controls on my own, and yeah, they definitely rank amongst the top least intuitive and badly designed controls of all time.

But then it got really bad when I actually figured out how to play. I deleted a block on the ground, and was greeted by a nice gaping hole into the skybox. I thought "Wow, that's unlucky, the first block I delete and this happens." So I do it again in a different spot and it happens again. This was on a single player game. It happens so often that I began to wonder if this game had been tested for more than 10 minutes. Another of the biggest bugs is that natural blocks will sometimes have a single, pitch-black side. This will happen sparsely throughout the generated level, but it will sometimes affect a row of blocks, or even an entire wall. It will also happen very often to flat surfaces on any large structure you build, which can get very annoying.

And then, oh my Lord, the online service is the #1 worst, laggiest (word?) online service I have EVER seen. It's just the general lag stuff - people appearing to run in place but are actually moving on their own screen, placing/deleting blocks and it only being client-side, deleting blocks and having the skybox appear behind it - only CONSTANTLY. Seriously, me and a friend were joining random servers (oh yeah, and it doesn't even support parties or invites yet, so we just had to keep searching until we both found the same game), and literally everything we did was client-side, anything the other did didn't affect us physically, nor could we see it.

And probably my biggest complaint, since it's not a bug, or a mistake, or releasing it prematurely, is the relic system. Now, imagine this with me; you start up Minecraft, and there's an update. You find out that Notch has hidden several very valuable treasures randomly throughout all Minecraft worlds. You think to yourself that they would be on the surface, or in rather large shrines, or surrounded by a special material, that you could make a tracker, or at least that they would emit some kind of sound when you got close. But you find out that each item is hidden completely randomly, ANYWHERE underground, throughout the world, they take up one block of space, and there is absolutely no indication of location other than direct line of sight. No tracker, no special material, no noise. Can you imagine trying to find these things without cheating somehow? Because that's exactly they did with the relics. But of course, the game does allow you to hook up a keyboard, which I used to find all of them. And in case you were wondering, these are like unlockable cheats, but they're not even well done. There's a speed boost, a jump boost, a mining hat with a light on the front(thought that was a good idea, honestly, or it would have been if I didn't have infinite torches (which, by the way, when placed on a wall will float above the ground in the same straight-vertical position as when placed directly onto the ground, and can only be deleted by placing a solid block over top of them)), night vision (which sucks absolute shit, it literally just turns the screen green, doesn't help with vision at all), a ray gun, which honestly just extends the range from which you can delete a block in a flashy way, and the freeze gun, which when turned on initiates "freeze tag", which makes it so no one can build, and starts a game of long-ranged tag that is IMPOSSIBLE to play online because of the shitty lag and can only be stopped by stopping the server.

Oh yeah, and that is the ONLY way to spawn water at this point, with a keyboard. And even when you are able to place it, it doesn't flow, or fall as it moves away from the source, it just fills everything on and below the level of the source block until it hits a wall, so it is very possible to flood your entire world with one water block. Of course, it's not like water even affects you, it's just a visual effect, which by the way acts as a completely opaque wall blocking anything underneath it, giving you the semblance of one who's cut in half when standing in it. Not to worry though, it doesn't even save water in the level. In fact, if you go onto an online sever, you loose anything you built in your single player game. And if you start a new world, you loose any relics you had collected (although they said this was a mistake, it's just more proof they shouldn't have released this game yet). Oh, and one last thing that got on my nerves, is that you can't even blow up TNT at first; the detonator is a relic. And you can't even determine when they blow up; the fuckin things light themselves, if you have the detonator, immediately after being placed, and explode on what seems to me is a completely random timer.

tl; dr
    FortressCraft is a horribly buggy, obviously rushed Minecraft wannabe with no functionality outside of placing and deleting blocks that failed terribly at implementing the one unique thing it had going for it (relics), a terrible online service, and an apparent hatred for any work the player has accomplished (Saved files being constantly deleted by simply playing online, loosing all obtained relics when creating a new world, of which you can have only one).
    I don't know when he started development but it couldn't have been that long ago. It seems to me like he just rushed out a voxel-terrain system, slapped a few features on it and called it a game.

39. Post #39
    but there's an overload of dick and it ruins the experience
    November 2010
    3,847 Posts
    Fortress craft looks like one of those shite hd packs, except the water. Which doesn't fit the style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,671 Posts
    Fortress craft looks like one of those shite hd packs, except the water. Which doesn't fit the style.
    The water even looks like it was copy-pasted code from the DirectX dev kit demos. :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)