December 2010
    951 Posts
    TUTORIAL FOR MAKING YOUR OWN NAVIGATION MESHES FOR BOTS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TF2 Navigation Meshes |
    by SleepyAl |

What do these do?

-These files allow you to play with computer controlled players on levels not offered by offline practice. Specifically, these files tell the "bots" where they can and can't walk, and tells them when a path is blocked or not. I've hand edited these navigation meshes, or "navs", to make the bots work better than using a simple nav_generate in the console.

How do I use them?

-Put all of these files in your tf/maps folder, usually located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\[YOUR USER NAME]\team fortress 2\tf\maps
    -Then, make sure that in game you click "enable developer console" in options > keyboard > advanced.
    -Finally, while on the main menu, hit the ~ button (usually to the left of the 1 key and above the Tab key) and type in the window that pops up, without quotes, "map cp_granary" if you want to play on Granary. To play on other maps, put the prefix of the gamemode, i.e. "cp", "ctf", "pl", "koth", plus an underscore "_", then the name of the map (some maps also have a suffix added, like final, but if you pay attention while you type the full name should show up and you can just click it) and hit enter, for example: ctf_2fort, cp_gullywash_final1, pl_frontier_final, koth_viaduct
    -Once the level loads, join a team. Then, press the ~ button again, and type, without quotes, "tf_bot_add 17", or however many bots you want to add, up to a maximum of 23. Now, play the game!

Why no payload race, arena maps or doomsday, and why do the bots act wonky on capture the flag maps, Gravelpit/Junction, Steel, and some 5CP maps?

-Bot support for these gamemodes/levels is wonky. Bots in payload race, arena and doomsday will not leave the spawn due to them not having the proper AI to do so, and capture the flag has limited bot support that is kinda shitty. Gravelpit and Junction are 3CP maps, and bots are unable to defend multiple points at the same time without problems, which means that Engineers will constantly destroy their buildings in an attempt to defend the opposite point. Steel is just a complicated map and I can only temporarily stop the bots from jumping into E's pit. Some 5CP maps have wonky Engineer support for some reason, but most work fine. Since coding AI can only be done by Valve, we'll have to wait for an update to make these maps/game modes more bot friendly.

The bots are trying to walk through a blocked door, are trying to jump up something they can't reach, are running in circles when trying to drop down from a ledge, or are stuck in the spawn on a map that can (semi)properly run bots!

-That's my fault, tell me where the bots are on the specific level and I'll try to fix it.

Bots are trying to shoot through a wall to hit an enemy sentry!

-That's a problem with the bots, I'm not sure why it happens but Valve needs to fix that.

The bots are stuck trying to go through a door that won't open for them even though it should be opening for them!

-That's a fault with them map, the maker didn't implement door opening/closing properly. Normally players would just back up and then try and go through the door again, but the bots aren't smart enough to do that.

Scouts won't double jump, Engineers won't haul their buildings, Soldiers and Demomen won't rocket/sticky jump, Engineers won't upgrade their teleporters, Demomen don't properly use their stickybomb launcher offensively, Engineers won't use their pistols, and Pyros won't extinguish burning teammates!

-Bots currently aren't coded to do these things, Valve needs to do that.

In Medieval mode/melee only sudden death, bots will constantly run away, Medics will stick close to teammates as if they were trying to heal them, Snipers will stay far away, and Engineers will stand still at certain times!

-Type in console tf_bot_melee_only 1 to fix this. Make sure to make it 0 after playing medieval mode/sudden death melee only!

The bots are too easy/hard!

-Type in console tf_bot_difficulty 0 for easy difficulty, 2 for hard, or 3 for expert.

I want all the bots to be a certain class!

-Type in console tf_bot_force_class Heavyweapons for all heavies, or any other class name for that specific class to appear.

I want to get rid of a certain bot!

-Type in console tf_bot_kick "name", where in the quotes (which you need to include if the name has a space in it) you would type the bot's name. You can also type red or blue to kick an entire team, or all to get rid of all of the bots

I want to manually decide which bot classes are on which team!

-First, make sure no bots are in game. Then, type in console tf_bot_keep_class_after_death 1, and then tf_bot_add <class> <team> <amount>, where, without the <> marks, you would type the class, team, and amount of that class on that team you would add.

The bots won't join the game until I do, or leave unless I'm in game!

-Type in console tf_bot_join_after_player 0 and/or tf_bot_auto_vacate 0

I want to kill all the red/blue bots instantly!

-Type in console "tf_bot_kill red" (no quotes) for red team, blue for blue team or all to kill all bots.

I want the bots to wear hats/use unlockable weapons!

-This is way too complicated to answer here, but basically you'll need to download MetaMod, SourceMod, and the Bot Weapon Randomizer plugin. Google "how to install Sourcemod on a listen server", and on the AlliedModders forum "Bot Weapon Randomizer". Honestly, I can't really help you more in depth because it's a lengthy process and requires a lot of patience, but one day I may make a tutorial if I have a shitload of free time. Also, you'll need to launch tf2 in -insecure, so you won't be able to play on regular servers until you relaunch the game without that parameter.

How can I contact you?

-Please post on Facepunch in the TF2 section in the topic Bot Pathing, Nav_mesh Editing, and Some Custom Navs for TFBots (http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1080451). I don't normally accept friend requests and I rarely check my Steam Community profile, so your safest bet is to post there.

I want to use these navs on my server!

-Go ahead, just make sure to credit me somewhere.

Anyways, here are the nav meshes I've made.

Stock Maps Navigation Meshes (Updated 8/12/12)

Kong King (better than Valve's) (Updated 8/11/12)

Indulge (Updated 7/20/12)

Barnblitz (Updated 7/18/12)

Badwater (Updated 7/15/12)

Hoodoo (Updated 7/12/12)

Hydro (Updated 7/1/12)

Granary (Updated 6/28/12)

Gullywash (Updated 6/28/12)

Steel (Updated 6/28/12)

Curve RC4

Cashworks (Updated 6/24/12)

Process b4 (Updated 6/22/12)

CTF Laynedecker (Updated 5/19/12)

KOTH Scorched (Updated 5/18/12)

Mainline RC5 (Updated 5/15/12)

Orange X4a (Updated 5/14/12)

Freight (Updated 5/14/12)

Antiquity RC1 (Updated 5/4/12)

Grand Canyon (Updated 4/29/12)

Drogentote 1 (Updated 4/20/12)

Zinkenite B3a (Updated 3/29/12)

Swiftwater RC2 (Updated 3/26/12

Frontier (Updated 1/28/11)

Borneo (Updated 1/21/11)

CTF Well (Updated 1/9/11)

DoubleCross (Updated 1/9/11)

Badlands (Updated 1/8/11)

Goldrush (Fixed) (Updated 1/3/12)

Yukon (Updated 12/23/11)

CP_Foundry

Junction

Crag (Event)

Mojave Event

Fastlane

Snakewater FINAL

Degroot Keep

Obscure_Remake

RedFort

Swiftwater

Morrigan Alley

2Fort

Barnblitz

KOTH Badlands

Cashworks

5Gorge

Gorge

Mountain Lab

Well

Crosscut

Coldfront

Egypt

Gullywash Pro (not the in game version)

Gravelpit

Obscure

Bazillion

Follower

Snakewater RC3

Orange_x3

LazyTown Night b3a (Map download)

Want a nav that's not there, or prefer an alternate version? See mdawgmike's thread on SPUF!

Also if anyone wants me to do a nav_mesh that's not working when you just do nav_generate then I might try my hand at it. Also, if you plan on using these on a server, please ask me first, and at the very least give me a shoutout on your server or website or whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 40Useful Useful x 18Friendly Friendly x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    ZOEY SMITH
    November 2010
    3,880 Posts
    Very useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    February 2011
    2,738 Posts
    I don't understand a word you said about bots and mesh but if it leads to better bots then I love ya...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,495 Posts
    I'm downloading the PL Frontier nav now, I love that map, but hate the bots.

Edited:

Or, at least, I would, if I could get download speeds from mediafire at more than 1 Kb/s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    I'm downloading the PL Frontier nav now, I love that map, but hate the bots.

Edited:

Or, at least, I would, if I could get download speeds from mediafire at more than 1 Kb/s

Here's a Megaupload link of all of the navs, hopefully it'll go faster.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U5VC5R80
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 4Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT

December 2008
    26,101 Posts
    Brilliant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    Oh wow.

So I was in the middle of making a guide for doing a navigation mesh, right? And then I do a quick google search to find out about some minor thing. Turns out that the Valve developer wiki has a complete guide around making navigation meshes. The last time I checked (quite a long time ago actually) there wasn't one, so I stupidly assumed there wasn't one today.

So yeah, go to http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...igation_Meshes because it's way helpful. However, it doesn't go over specific things like tf_mark or making certain TF things like sentry spots, but it helps with everything else.

Finally, if anyone wants me to do a nav mesh, I'll try to find some time. I just beat Portal 2's single player and Mortal Kombat's singleplayer, so I've got plenty of time to spare.

8. Post #8
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,372 Posts
    Oh wow.

So I was in the middle of making a guide for doing a navigation mesh, right? And then I do a quick google search to find out about some minor thing. Turns out that the Valve developer wiki has a complete guide around making navigation meshes. The last time I checked (quite a long time ago actually) there wasn't one, so I stupidly assumed there wasn't one today.

So yeah, go to http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...igation_Meshes because it's way helpful. However, it doesn't go over specific things like tf_mark or making certain TF things like sentry spots, but it helps with everything else.

Finally, if anyone wants me to do a nav mesh, I'll try to find some time. I just beat Portal 2's single player and Mortal Kombat's singleplayer, so I've got plenty of time to spare.
    Would you please make my shoddy map work properly with bots?

9. Post #9
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    Would you please make my shoddy map work properly with bots?
    Pray tell, what map would that be?

10. Post #10
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    12,372 Posts
    Pray tell, what map would that be?
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6519567/EVEN...h_hot_zone.zip
    This one right here.

11. Post #11
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    Sure, I'll take a look at it.

Edited:

Alright, here it is. A nav mesh for koth_hot_zone. I worked pretty hard on it too.

http://www.mediafire.com/?g53i591xofzrjf3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2011
    256 Posts
    May I have bots on cp_granary and cp_manor_event? If that's okay with you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Malaysia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2009
    2,123 Posts
    I've got a question about bots actually, figured this would be good a place as any to post. Why do the offensive bots stop moving in Gorge when they reach the second spawn?

14. Post #14
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    May I have bots on cp_granary and cp_manor_event? If that's okay with you.
    I'll work on them later today. A quick nav_generate shows me that the bots will play granary, and I'm having trouble deciding if it's always a steamroll or not 24/7, I'm seeing some promise with the red bots pushing even when they lose 2 cps so it might not be flawed ai. It definitely needs manual tweaking due to bots getting caught in the spawns and I could see if I can get the bots to use the containers on the middle point.

cp_manor will be easy, because they run fine on manor_event, so a little fine tweaking might be necessary but nothing insurmountable.

I've got a question about bots actually, figured this would be good a place as any to post. Why do the offensive bots stop moving in Gorge when they reach the second spawn?
    When you nav_generate on Gorge for some reason it doesn't add any pathing on the forward spawn, so the bots have no clue what to do. I'm pretty sure a guy named User_81 made a nav for that a long time ago and you can google it, but I'll make my own later on just to see if I can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    Here's cp_granary, the bots actually fight back and forth for the points much better than before, so I'm hoping they'll add official support for 5CP maps soon.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mb0bhuf2di1c5ml
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    Oh hey if you recently downloaded my granary nav, redownload it. I fixed a case where bots could get stuck in the second forward spawns.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2mc0f656cwcfr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    April 2011
    256 Posts
    Oh hey if you recently downloaded my granary nav, redownload it. I fixed a case where bots could get stuck in the second forward spawns.

Thanks! :) Also, will bots work on Arena? Because some maps won't work with them.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,249 Posts

Mmm... The bots are still stucking in that part (well, only one).

19. Post #19
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    Thanks! :) Also, will bots work on Arena? Because some maps won't work with them.
    I'm think they should since Arena is basically KOTH without respawning (never tested it though), so you might just need to get a proper nav mesh for the map. If you have any favorite arena maps I'll try and make one for it and see if it works.

Mmm... The bots are still stucking in that part (well, only one).
    I reuploaded a new version, but I couldn't replicate the issue in the old one so I'm not sure if I fixed it. Can you post a screenshot, or just use the steam screenshot feature and send me a link? Oh, if it's a medic just sitting in the spawn, that's normal, they'll only leave if they see a potential healing buddy. Also, Engineer bots are bugged in general and will sometimes just run around in circles in the spawn with the toolbox out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT

December 2008
    26,101 Posts
    Bots do work on arena, but they treat it like koth.
    As in, they all run for the point and usually try to capture it, whether it can be captured yet or not.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,249 Posts
    Looks like the new .nav version of cp_granary fix that problem. Thanks SleepyAI.

22. Post #22
    April 2011
    256 Posts
    I'm think they should since Arena is basically KOTH without respawning (never tested it though), so you might just need to get a proper nav mesh for the map. If you have any favorite arena maps I'll try and make one for it and see if it works.
    arena_granary and I'll love you more.

23. Post #23
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    arena_granary and I'll love you more.
    Alright, I'll start working on it. I should have it done by the end of the day.

Edited:

Alright, I've got a problem.

The nav mesh for granary works fine. The bots don't. They won't leave the spawn, except for the occasional sniper who for some reason tries to cap the point. The path's are not blocked, they're all connected, still no movement.

Here it is, if anyone wants to tinker with it. I'll try a different map and see if the bots work there or not.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mtwbww1s952jve9

If it matters, I'm using the TF2 beta, so anyone with the regular TF2 installed can try and see if it's different.

Edited:

Yeah, bots don't work on arena, at least on my computer. Engies, Snipers and Spies will leave the spawn sometimes, but that's it. I'll download regular TF2 and see if they work there or not.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    Hey, just finished a nav mesh for cp_well. It works great, except for the swimming. The bots sink to the bottom and drown, but they'll still fight to the death if they see somebody. I tried to get the bots to use jump paths to swim up, and I bet if I try harder later I might be able to make them swim, but its a lot of effort and the bots don't go down there unless they fall so they rarely use the swimming paths anyways. Sometimes I'll see bots get out of the water, but that's rare. Maybe if Valve adds some sort of swim paths later on that'd be nice, but I'm calling it quits here.

Here's a link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?3camncb3xbz99ny
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT

December 2008
    26,101 Posts
    You're bloody brilliant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    July 2010
    5,639 Posts
    He knows everything!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Zing Zing x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    November 2010
    161 Posts
    You should really really take a look at pl_crosscut, it's one of the best Payload maps by far but bots do seem to get stuck when attacking as they tend to go through the left big door that closes. Quite a great map for you to test entities for sentry places etc. thank you :)

28. Post #28
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    You should really really take a look at pl_crosscut, it's one of the best Payload maps by far but bots do seem to get stuck when attacking as they tend to go through the left big door that closes. Quite a great map for you to test entities for sentry places etc. thank you :)
    I haven't figured out how to manually make sentry spots yet, I'm unsure if bots do that on the fly or if there's a way to force them to use certain spots. I'll download the map and see if I can make a good nav for it, and maybe see if there's a proper way to make sentry spots.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,744 Posts
    Is it possible to make ctf work as just a team deathmatch game with bots?

30. Post #30
    RPG
    January 2010
    860 Posts
    Since normal Payload work, does the bots you make work with Payload Race mode ?

Or RED team will only defend while BLU push the cart in the race ?

Oh and I have a request, if you don't mind :
    It is if you can make bots work in Arena_Hardhat (The Construction theme map)
    Here it is : http://construction.tf2maps.net/

Thanks in advance :)

31. Post #31
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    Is it possible to make ctf work as just a team deathmatch game with bots?
    Nope, the bots won't leave the spawn, and there's no way to force them to because the bots are only coded around control points. Unless you were to turn a ctf level into a cp level (which would still be buggy) you won't be able to play with bots on ctf maps (medics work though, if you play in the level with them).

Since normal Payload work, does the bots you make work with Payload Race mode ?

Or RED team will only defend while BLU push the cart in the race ?

Oh and I have a request, if you don't mind :
    It is if you can make bots work in Arena_Hardhat (The Construction theme map)
    Here it is : http://construction.tf2maps.net/

Thanks in advance :)
    Payload race won't work either, the bots just stay in the spawn and won't leave.

Arena maps apparently also won't work, at least for me. I remember at one time they did, but now they're not moving on any of my nav meshes.

I'm still working on pl_crosscut, literally just got back home from a NY trip.

32. Post #32
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    OK, Crosscut is done!

Added a bunch of new routes, fixed bots getting stuck in the water (sometimes they derp around in circles if they fall off the log but they'll eventually come up), made it so the bots can't get to the payload at the start without going outside as a workaround fix to the payload cart becoming unresponsive (this still sometimes happens at other points, it's either the guy who made this map's fault or a weird bug), fixed a lot of places where bots think they can jump to but can't, added some spots for bots to jump up, and some more I might have forgotten.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4898qu2sv9o8mh4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    August 2009
    2,123 Posts
    Could you make a Gorge one please? :D

34. Post #34
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    Could you make a Gorge one please? :D
    Sure, I'll work on it tomorrow (actually it's already tomorrow, but you know what I mean).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    April 2011
    256 Posts
    Hmm, since you made a .nav for cp_degrootkeep. Would you mind doing one for koth_degrootkeep?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    Alright, here's cp_gorge, fixed the spawn issue, made a few new paths, fixed bots getting stuck on the first staircase near the first point, etc. Please tell me if there's any problems with it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kwqb12n23xxvm6d

Hmm, since you made a .nav for cp_degrootkeep. Would you mind doing one for koth_degrootkeep?
    Sure, I'll work on that next.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

37. Post #37
    I'M AN AUSSIE FAGGOT

December 2008
    26,101 Posts
    You deserve a medal. All your navs so far have worked brilliantly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    August 2009
    2,123 Posts
    Yeah, I can't rate this guy winner enough! Gorge is one of my favorite maps.

39. Post #39
    December 2010
    951 Posts
    Alright, here's koth_degrootkeep_v10

http://www.mediafire.com/?w6vn2w76w590e88

Bots don't do anything fancy, they swarm the point and then clusterfuck to the death. Limitations of the melee logic, or the fact that the bots never try to spawn camp and just stay by the point. Either way, a lot of work wasted on paths bots will never use. :(

Also, I dunno if this makes a difference, but the tf_bot_melee_only cvar was recently added. It doesn't seem to make any difference in medieval mode (snipers still keep their distance, medics still follow the closest offensive class, etc.), but at least you can use it on non medieval maps to kill bots easily if you want to farm achievements or something.

Oh, I'm working on cp_5gorge now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

40. Post #40
    johnny guitar was here
    February 2010
    6,162 Posts
    valve should really make bots know how to use melee properly.
    and jump.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)