1. Post #1
    January 2010
    161 Posts

In this tutorial I'll try to show you how to make Portal 2 maps.

Things you'll need:
    - Portal 2 (duh)
    - Alien Swarm SDK
    - GCFScape (or any tool that can extract VPKs)
    - Patience

First of all you'd like to extract your portal 2 materials/models to your alien swarm directory.
    To do that, just open the pak01_dir.vpk file which is located in your portal 2 directory (steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2) and extract the materials and models folders to your alien swarm directory (steamapps\common\alien swarm\swarm).
    After the extraction is complete you will need to "fix" the models so that hammer can load the properly.
    To do that just save the following text in a batch file (.bat), place it in your swarm/models directory and run it.
    Code:
    FOR /R %%a IN ("*.dx80.vtx") DO del "%%a" 
    FOR /R %%a IN ("*.dx90.vtx") DO del "%%a"
    FOR /R %%a IN ("*.sw.vtx") DO del "%%a"
    FOR /R %%a IN ("*.vtx") DO copy "%%a" "%%~dpa%%~na.dx80.vtx"
    FOR /R %%a IN ("*.vtx") DO copy "%%a" "%%~dpa%%~na.dx90.vtx"
    FOR /R %%a IN ("*.vtx") DO copy "%%a" "%%~dpa%%~na.sw.vtx"
    FOR /R %%a IN ("*.dx80.dx90.sw.vtx") DO del "%%a" 
    FOR /R %%a IN ("*.dx80.dx90.vtx") DO del "%%a"
    FOR /R %%a IN ("*.dx80.sw.vtx") DO del "%%a"
    FOR /R %%a IN ("*.dx90.sw.vtx") DO del "%%a"
    After this step is done you're ready to create Portal 2 maps.
    Just launch Hammer through the Alien Swarm SDK and create a map.
    Also, remember to follow these instructions, otherwise the map won't compile.
    After you've compiled the map just copy it to your portal2/maps directory and launch it through the in-game console.

You can find a FGD with several entities here (Cheers to DeanWinchester).

Here are some interesting entities:
    Code:
    prop_tractor_beam
    prop_wall_projector
    env_portal_laser
    prop_floor_button
    info_coop_spawn
    You can find a coop map I made here and it's source here.

I hope this helps.

Credits:
    - Whoever made that model renaming script
    - The guy who made BSPSource
    - Valve

PS: You can find interesting stuff by decompiling existing p2 maps (you will need to fix the endings of the VMFs in order to load them in Hammer).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Greece Show Events Winner x 53Useful x 9Disagree x 2Informative x 2Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    literally 2 seconds ago i asked enth how to make portal 2 maps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 31Informative Informative x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    January 2010
    161 Posts
    Here's a template for coop maps.
    It simply contains the starting area and no, it will not compile as it is.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8504765/mp_booth.vmf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Greece Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    I'll be sure to check it out later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,268 Posts
    I'm just gonna wait for the proper SDK to come out, and spend the time planning maps and stuff :buddy: Pretty cool method though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 59Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,994 Posts
    I'm just gonna wait for the proper SDK to come out, and spend the time planning maps and stuff :buddy: Pretty cool method though
    This will probably be me too, but I'll probably fuck around with this so that I can get used to the new entities before the official release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Ex-Least Respected Usergroup
    June 2007
    7,113 Posts
    Heh very handy, I drew down a design of a chamber and if I feel the need for the SDK is too great i'll use this. Thanks a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #8
    rrerr~
    January 2009
    3,456 Posts
    I'll probably just stick to mapping the basic geometry of the level in the old SDK, then import the vmf when the Portal 2 SDK comes out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member

August 2010
    5,708 Posts
    ill wait for the real sdk, but this is a pretty cool method
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    907 Posts
    Does anyone know where Portal 2 stores its sound files? I've looked in the directory, and the GFC files. No luck.

Edit: Found how to, FYI to anyone curious. Open pak01_dir in GFCScape, don't open it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Useful Useful x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    7,057 Posts
    I'll wait for the new SDK with a new Faceposer that supports Vista oh god please Valve please...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,364 Posts
    eitherway it doesn't seem like you can play coop maps, only singleplayer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    October 2009
    12,682 Posts
    eitherway it doesn't seem like you can play coop maps, only singleplayer
    For coop maps both people must have the map. Then in console you type "changelevel mapname" (no quotes of course)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    It's a boomer! Watch out!
    March 2009
    1,519 Posts
    How do you make gels able to be placed on surfaces? They work, but they don't paint onto things. I think its a script or entity that allows it but I can't find it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    not retarded or something
    July 2008
    6,168 Posts
    I hope some very nice custom maps come out, preferably some with more crushers, gel, funnels, bridges, and panels.

Oh god the panels, there was so much potential for absolutely crazy maps with those panels. I hope someone realizes that and makes some really good maps with copious amounts of panels!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 35 (list)

16. Post #16
    January 2010
    161 Posts
    I managed to get some SP maps working in Co-op without modifying the BSPs :buddy:
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/55...C86ED42F1EA6C/

Will post a how-to and needed files when I've finished making all the maps co-op compatible.
    Cheers!

PS: The maps are still fully functional in SP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Greece Show Events

17. Post #17
    July 2010
    519 Posts
    I managed to get some SP maps working in Co-op without modifying the BSPs :buddy:
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/55...C86ED42F1EA6C/

Will post a how-to and needed files when I've finished making all the maps co-op compatible.
    Cheers!

PS: The maps are still fully functional in SP.
    great work.

I think the first thing we need to do in the Portal 2's hammer is to make a map just to fuck around with everything. Like only portal-able surface, every goo type (Maybe gamma in a corner with non-portal-able surface.) and aerial faith plate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    It's a boomer! Watch out!
    March 2009
    1,519 Posts
    great work.

I think the first thing we need to do in the Portal 2's hammer is to make a map just to fuck around with everything. Like only portal-able surface, every goo type (Maybe gamma in a corner with non-portal-able surface.) and aerial faith plate.
    I was thinking of making one of these for co-op, but I need to figure out how to make the gels stick onto surfaces first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

19. Post #19
    Ha3
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    376 Posts
    How do you make gels able to be placed on surfaces? They work, but they don't paint onto things. I think its a script or entity that allows it but I can't find it.
    You need to understand that the Alien Swarm SDK uses a special compiler that once used, transforms all world brushes into func_detail. Maybe that's the issue?

EDIT: I'm not actually sure. I've been trying to remove the -alldetail parameter in the VBSP Compiler (expert mode enabled before compiling) but it still jolts issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Informative Informative x 7 (list)

20. Post #20
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    In the name of science I ask you, what the fuck is this??!

Having fun with Boomer... I think we broke something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 31Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,364 Posts
    For coop maps both people must have the map. Then in console you type "changelevel mapname" (no quotes of course)
    me and a friend both had the map and it crashed every time i changed the level

Edited:

I hope some very nice custom maps come out, preferably some with more crushers, gel, funnels, bridges, and panels.

Oh god the panels, there was so much potential for absolutely crazy maps with those panels. I hope someone realizes that and makes some really good maps with copious amounts of panels!
    i'm hyped for it, i really hope it doesn't take months (like L4D) to get the new hammer/documentation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

22. Post #22
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    me and a friend both had the map and it crashed every time i changed the level

Edited:

i'm hyped for it, i really hope it doesn't take months (like L4D) to get the new hammer/documentation
    There's absolutely no reason why it would take longer than a week, but you know Valve...

23. Post #23
    July 2010
    519 Posts
    There's absolutely no reason why it would take longer than a week, but you know Valve...
    Just look at L4D and L4D 2's SDK... Weren't they release extremely late?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    8,083 Posts
    I hope Valve will release the new easier hammer layout when Portal 2 SDK comes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2011
    747 Posts
    what new easier hammer layout
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    8,083 Posts
    what new easier hammer layout
    Gabe Newell said they are working on making hammer easier to work with. Even those who make maps at Valve got some problems sometimes.

http://www.igniq.com/2011/02/gabe-ne...k-less-painful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 10Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    July 2010
    519 Posts
    Gabe Newell said they are working on making hammer easier to work with. Even those who make maps at Valve got some problems sometimes.

http://www.igniq.com/2011/02/gabe-ne...k-less-painful
    the infamous carving tool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 21 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    8,083 Posts
    the infamous carving tool
    Oh god i hate that tool. It just stretches through the entire map sometimes and then i have to remove the whole thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    November 2007
    1,180 Posts
    holy shit it works! good job man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Greece Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,540 Posts
    Awaiting mp_portal2_playground and sp_portal2_playground.

Too bad I have no clue how to map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    December 2007
    1,814 Posts
    Even with the func_brush named structure_seal around the map I still can't compile it. :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    Won't gels be a nightmare as you don't know how far they will go till you test
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Guernsey Show Events

33. Post #33
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,269 Posts
    What steps exactly do you need to follow in the alien swarm wiki to compile the map. I don't think they're all necessary.

It'd be great if someone outlined what they did to get it to compile even briefly.

34. Post #34
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,415 Posts
    Won't gels be a nightmare as you don't know how far they will go till you test
    Hopefully there will be a quick compiler in the new SDK, or maybe you can set trajectories for gels and Aerial Faith Plates?

Seriously, those test chambers with the perfectly alligned plates weren't a coincedence.

Edited:

Oh, I will :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,632 Posts
    Hopefully there will be a quick compiler in the new SDK, or maybe you can set trajectories for gels and Aerial Faith Plates?

Seriously, those test chambers with the perfectly alligned plates weren't a coincedence.
    I was talking about in this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Guernsey Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Ha3
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    376 Posts

In the console, in coop sometimes there is a message saying something like "<something> Prediction will fail! Fix this in the map." and the <something> was regarding Faith Plates. Many puzzle elements are embedded into the engine it seems now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Portal 2 Hammer includes dedicated parabolic projections helper, just like they do with light_spot, ropes and env_projectedtexture dedicated helpers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2009
    7,354 Posts
    I hope not, I don't want to re-learn the hammer interface.
    That was the thing about hammer. If you needed it, it was there. If you couldn't find it right away, then you didn't need it enough
    Maybe they'll have a real-time compiled viewport.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,269 Posts
    I hope not, I don't want to re-learn the hammer interface.
    That was the thing about hammer. If you needed it, it was there. If you couldn't find it right away, then you didn't need it enough
    Maybe they'll have a real-time compiled viewport.
    They're obviously not going to change it all that much that someone needs to relearn stuff. It'll just be more user-friendly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    8,083 Posts
    They're obviously not going to change it all that much that someone needs to relearn stuff. It'll just be more user-friendly.
    Finally someone who understands.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Kyo
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    513 Posts

Decided to try porting over a Portal 1 map I made with this method. Works pretty good. However, buildcubemaps in game doesn't work for me, despite my map having like 5 env_cubemap entities.

Also, if someone could make a FGD so we could see the entities in the editor, that'd be great. I have no idea what would go into making it though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)