1. Post #41
    March 2009
    303 Posts
    All I did was create a gel_sprayer entity from this thread's portal2.fgd file, and position it where I wanted it without changing anything else at all, then I created a button that told the gel_sprayer to "Start" when the button was pressed and stop 4 seconds later
    Wait are you using a gel_sprayer or a info_paint_sprayer, because afaik you can only use the info_paint_sprayer for gels.

2. Post #42
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Yeah it should be info_paint_sprayer, I'm gonna update soon and include a vmf with everything we've been working on, it should all be working.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,907 Posts
    Wait are you using a gel_sprayer or a info_paint_sprayer, because afaik you can only use the info_paint_sprayer for gels.
    Oh, okay. Never saw the info_paint_sprayer so I'll try using that one then. Thanks for the info

4. Post #44
    Sometimes i fall down :(
    July 2008
    3,192 Posts
    How do i set it up, so hammer makes a copy of the .bsp to portal 2 instead of alienswarm?

5. Post #45
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Version 5 is out, quite a lot of updated entities, added cameras and fixed overlays.
    Also included an example map with all the stuff we've added working, except for the damn catapult which was working but now it isn't, if you can figure out why I'd appreciate the help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    686 Posts
    I made a custom map, It isn't finished but feel free to test it, Also i couldn't figure out how to give the player a portal gun so do "sv_cheats 1 ; impulse 101" in console

http://www.mediafire.com/?er5o03uj9x4w68y

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    Anyone having any luck with func_instance? I know it's not new and it should compile into the map fine, but when I put some props (centered around 0,0,0) in a vmf, and then used that VMF as an instance, it shows up in my real map at 0,0,0 with most of the entities missing/broken.

Any thoughts as to what's going on?

8. Post #48
    October 2010
    349 Posts
    I couldn't figure out how to give the player a portal gun so do "sv_cheats 1 ; impulse 101" in console
    http://www.mediafire.com/?er5o03uj9x4w68y
    add a point_clientcommand into your map and have a trigger, button or a logic_auto send these commands to it.

give_portalgun then 0.10 seconds later upgrade_portalgun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Silly men accomplish magnificant tasks, the current ammount of womens rear exits that have surrounded my penis makes me confident I will accomplish, shit.
    July 2008
    3,412 Posts
    How do I get lighting in my map? It's always fullbright.

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,759 Posts
    Any chance you could add a Playback Rate tab thing to the prop_dynamics? Makes making panels that look nice a hell of a lot easier as you don't need godknows how many logic_relays to change them all.

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,907 Posts
    add a point_clientcommand into your map and have a trigger, button or a logic_auto send these commands to it.

give_portalgun then 0.10 seconds later upgrade_portalgun
    An easier way is to just create an entity weapon_portalgun and place it inside the info_player_start
    By default you can change the portal guns settings and tell it wether it can fire a Blue portal only, an Orange portal only, or both portals at once!

Edited:

How do I get lighting in my map? It's always fullbright.
    Put a light entity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #52
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Any chance you could add a Playback Rate tab thing to the prop_dynamics? Makes making panels that look nice a hell of a lot easier as you don't need godknows how many logic_relays to change them all.
    I could look into it but I can only really add it if the game already supports it, I can't actually "add" new properties without access to the code. So if you've found a map that uses said tab on a prop_dynamic, tell me which and I'll have a look at the structure, otherwise even if I add it, it won't do anything.

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,907 Posts
    Hm, info_paint_spray also crashes for me after not changing any settings on it at all.

14. Post #54
    Silly men accomplish magnificant tasks, the current ammount of womens rear exits that have surrounded my penis makes me confident I will accomplish, shit.
    July 2008
    3,412 Posts
    An easier way is to just create an entity weapon_portalgun and place it inside the info_player_start
    By default you can change the portal guns settings and tell it wether it can fire a Blue portal only, an Orange portal only, or both portals at once!

Edited:

Put a light entity.

I already did put a light entity... It's still fullbright.

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,907 Posts
    I already did put a light entity... It's still fullbright.
    Do you got VIS and RAD set to No or Fast in the compile window, perhaps? Try changing those to Normal if they aren't already

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,531 Posts
    You have to use expert compile and change the $bsp_exe parameters to "-game $gamedir $path\$file", without the quotes obviously, because the Alien Swarm compiler makes every brush into a func_detail on compile.
    You guys are making the maps wrong.

It is time that we bring the black back into the light. Select this hollowed box and apply the toolsnolight texture. Tie to Entity or push ctrl + t and change the class of this brush entity to func_brush. While you can define every name in the map as you like, this one is defined! Name this func_brush to structure_seal

(I'm not sure if you still have the toolsnolight texture though) and you have to compile it like normal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,907 Posts
    Hm, info_paint_spray also crashes for me after not changing any settings on it at all.
    Ok, I did some testing and I found out that info_paint_sprays will work if you activate them by any other means than a regular switch button. such as powering up a discouragment beam catcher.

18. Post #58
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    They work fine for me even with switch button.

19. Post #59
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,816 Posts
    You guys are making the maps wrong.

It is time that we bring the black back into the light. Select this hollowed box and apply the toolsnolight texture. Tie to Entity or push ctrl + t and change the class of this brush entity to func_brush. While you can define every name in the map as you like, this one is defined! Name this func_brush to structure_seal

(I'm not sure if you still have the toolsnolight texture though) and you have to compile it like normal.
    Wouldn't it be stupid to make maps like that? I'm pretty sure the portal 2 maps aren't made the same way as Alien Swarm maps.

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,531 Posts
    But they are.

Edited:

This is mainly because valve have a newer way to cull brushes which don't require you to use hints and skips.

Edited:

Well okay only a few do it, but still.

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,794 Posts
    Does anybody know how to make the GLaDOS model stare at the player?

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,907 Posts
    Try asking them in the mapping thread. If GLaDOS is an NPC, you can try giving it an actbusy script I think it's called to stare at the player

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    686 Posts
    Does anybody know how to make the GLaDOS model stare at the player?
    Just decompile a map with GLaDOS looking at the player.

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    If you remove -alldetail from the BSP part of the compile, you don't need the structure seal, and you can seal your maps normally!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Late Late x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,907 Posts
    I like the structure_seal anyway, I use it if theres any ruined parts I need to make so I can make it look like there are several test chambers in one huuuge room. Pretty useful for that purpose actually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,996 Posts
    But they are.

Edited:

This is mainly because valve have a newer way to cull brushes which don't require you to use hints and skips.

Edited:

Well okay only a few do it, but still.
    The "new way" is only good for top down games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,759 Posts
    I could look into it but I can only really add it if the game already supports it, I can't actually "add" new properties without access to the code. So if you've found a map that uses said tab on a prop_dynamic, tell me which and I'll have a look at the structure, otherwise even if I add it, it won't do anything.
    SetPlaybackRate is an input to any prop_dynamic , so there's got to be a way to set it from the model , instead of setting it from say , a logic_relay.

Also , please add parents to prop_buttons and such. Had to turn off smartedit to make parents :/

28. Post #68
    June 2010
    47 Posts
    IVersion 5 is out, quite a lot of updated entities, added cameras and fixed overlays.
    Also included an example map with all the stuff we've added working, except for the damn catapult which was working but now it isn't, if you can figure out why I'd appreciate the help..
    I copied one from coop,and it worked perfectly,here is my map
    http://www.mediafire.com/?wnr1j36x6ijdl55
    its BSP,but you can decompile it :D

29. Post #69
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Thanks, I'll have a look.

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    11,561 Posts
    Why is halflife2.fgd in there if we don't use it? :psyduck:

Edited:

Ohhh...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    221 Posts
    I can't play my map in portal 2 due to a "map has no planes" error or something similar, I got it to compile in Alien Swarm though, and have a func_brush structure_seal around the map, and seemed to have removed the -alldetail command. What's the issue?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    January 2008
    834 Posts
    I can't play my map in portal 2 due to a "map has no planes" error or something similar, I got it to compile in Alien Swarm though, and have a func_brush structure_seal around the map, and seemed to have removed the -alldetail command. What's the issue?
    You don't need the structure_seal if you've removed -alldetail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Guernsey Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

33. Post #73
    August 2005
    85 Posts
    Any news on getting the faith plates to work?

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    221 Posts
    You don't need the structure_seal if you've removed -alldetail.
    I tried just compiling it after taking out -alldetail, but it complained about leaks, regardless, has anyone gotten this error and solved it?

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,531 Posts
    so I figured out in that trailer extra, the skybox is actually a bunch of displacement with a star texture, and there is a black texture on the outside the whole 3d skybox.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3779442/Screenshots/skyboxtest0000.jpg
    [url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3779442/Screenshots/skyboxtest0001.jpg[/url]
    Edited:

Its not like their native skyboxes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    I tried just compiling it after taking out -alldetail, but it complained about leaks, regardless, has anyone gotten this error and solved it?
    If it's complaining about leaks after you've done that, then most likely there are real leaks happening.

And I still haven't figured out the Aerial Faith Plates, they were working before but I must have messed something up.

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    221 Posts
    If it's complaining about leaks after you've done that, then most likely there are real leaks happening.

And I still haven't figured out the Aerial Faith Plates, they were working before but I must have messed something up.
    I can compile it in expert normal mode without a seal and it will compile and run perfectly in Alien Swarm, props, BSP, everything. Portal 2, it crashes still with the "Map with no planes error", my map doesn't have a leak, and -alldetail has been removed. What's wrong?

added lighting following the temporary POrtal 2 map wiki, same issues as above.

38. Post #78
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,873 Posts
    I have the fgd and only it selected in alien swarm hammer tools->options->game data files, then try the example map

?

39. Post #79
    January 2008
    834 Posts
    I have the fgd and only it selected in alien swarm hammer tools->options->game data files, then try the example map

?
    Follow the guide in the OP of this thread: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/108...-Portal-2-maps

40. Post #80
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    17,985 Posts
    Can this thing make defective turrets?