1. Post #1
    January 2008
    1,148 Posts

(wip)

random selection of mildly interesting content from the last thread:

It's alive!

Posting another screen of my generated cave
    Playing around with GLSL
    Intense CPU grinding via the gamedev.net article's method. It's pretty slow so the optimisations I have done are to A) only draw lights on the screen and B) Generate hulls of the shadow casting tiles ahead of time and use those instead.

:buddy:
    Alright, I pretty much finished my OBJ loader with MTL support

Today I was bored so I took my game of life, tore it apart and made a maze generator out of it.

Takes the guy around 40 seconds to generate this^

The fun part is when you make it do crazy shit

It's actually still working on that one.

I can explain the algorythm if anyone would like.
    Some improvements
    OK, sharper shadows it is then.

Enjoy my monthly random screenshots !

Edited:

I just realized it looked ugly as hell so I changed it a bit.

This evening I wrote a 3D RPN-based grapher for fun.

It can do polynomials:

Trigonometry:

Some more trigonometry:

It uses GDI+ for rendering and I promise there's no else-ifs. Download here if you want to play with it: http://anyhub.net/file/24Zt-3dgraph.exe
    Made a clone of jallens gravispark (hope you dont mind jallen :V )

still get large fps drom when theres large amounts of particles but it seems to work ok

BTW im hoping to make this a larger particle engine
    Here, lemme demonstrate:
    Picture without du/dv

Picture with du/dv

Du/dv map

I think I'm going to use this to make explosions just a bit more juicier.
    Cheeky little image dump because I'm bored.

In other OS related news:

I couldn't be bothered writing an ATA driver, so I made my OS switch between Real Mode and Protected Mode to use the BIOS interrupts for disk I/O. I'm pretty proud of the whole setup - it's able to flawlessly shift between real and protected as often as I like, while maintaining protected mode's state. I exposed this functionality through the real_exec() function, which takes a buffer of 16 bit real mode code and executes it.

Here's the code to ata_read():

I've been working on something for the past couple days and thought some of you might like it.
    I basically coded a program that allows you to use steam chat from your phone via text messages. It uses Google Voice that acts as a relay to send the messages between your phone and steam chat.

I coded it in C++ with the boost, jsoncpp, curl, tinyxml, and Open Steamworks libraries, plus my own Google Voice library. This was my first time actually compiling and making my own libraries so learned a lot and I'm happy with the results. All you need is a Google Voice account (which is free) and a cell phone with text messaging.
    Right now I have it reading the account info and the cell phone number you want to use it with from a simple text file. I'm still testing it and I plan on releasing it soon.
    Honestly, no. The ratios mean absolutely nothing. All that matters is the exact amount of time something takes to do. As soon as you start thinking in ratios, you have pointless data. "It runs half as slow" requires you to know the base of what you're working off. And if you do want ratios, you can still do that if you output frame time instead. You will appreciate how shit using FPS to time stuff is once you are doing more than just a single task.

Anyway.

Working on some more of the GUI side of things. Also support queries now, as well as action text and a few other commands. God damn I'm really gonna end writing a full IRC client aren't I...
    EDIT: Bonus picture, improved algorithm + color!
    better, wallpaper-ready render
    Updated my shattering Maya plugin:

I even added this fancy dialog box to my map editor
    Just made it possible for all types of blocks (including lasers!) to attach to elevator blocks, which gives me a fuck ton of new level design possibilities :buddy:

Also, if you're quick, you can get on top of the flying laser thing by jumping on the platform you're supposed to hide under... I guess I should add some kind of collectibles (like the glowing orb things in VVVVVV) to the game to increase replayability.
    Not totally programming, but just polishing the graphics for Snabbo. Hopefully don't have to tell you which are the new ones.

pointless awards:
    [list][*]most interesting project: jimbomcb's tf2 web spectate[*]sexiest game: whatever dlaor is making[*]honorable mention: turb for a variety of interesting projects[*]sympathy award: novembrdobby for rotion's steam rejection[*]most chromosomes: moustach3 / geel9[*]aspergers award: nullsquared / limitofinf[/list]
    Version 16
    Version 15
    Version 14
    Version 13
    Version 12
    Version 11
    Version 10
    Version 9
    Version 8
    Version 7
    Version 6
    Version 5
    Version 4
    Version 3
    Version 2
    Version 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 19Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,073 Posts
    New thread's smell.
    Some content on my very stupid and simple game:

The red square actually follows you, yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Programming King Programming King x 11Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    Most chromosomes. Heh.

Edited:

New thread's smell.
    Some content on my very stupid and simple game:

The red square actually follows you, yes.
    What's the blue line? The circle is the player, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts
    [list][*]sexiest game: whatever dlaor is making[/list]
    :woop:

By the way, I've got 10 levels now: the player gets introduced to death blocks in level 7 and to elevators in level 9
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,073 Posts
    Most chromosomes. Heh.

Edited:

What's the blue line? The circle is the player, right?
    Yeah the circle is the player, the blue line is a line from the player to the mouse. It's just that you can't see the mouse on the picture.
    I need some way to rotate the player to where it's looking but I have no idea how.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    I need some way to rotate the player to where it's looking but I have no idea how.
    But it's a circle. :confused:

If you rotate a circle, it still looks like a circle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 11Agree x 7Informative x 1Zing x 1Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    pointless awards:
    [list][*]most chromosomes: moustach3 / geel9[/list]
    Hahaha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,450 Posts
    Wow I spent the last thread doing some really boring shit. I hereby promise to do something more interesting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    March 2010
    4,073 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

10. Post #10
    June 2010
    1,928 Posts
    -Snip-

11. Post #11
    March 2010
    4,073 Posts
    But it's a circle. :confused:

If you rotate a circle, it still looks like a circle.
    Well, I was actually gonna do it so that there was a small line from the middle of the circle to the shell of the circle, so you can see where it's pointing.

Edited:

O?

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    487 Posts
    My "Game of Life"

[image]
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15805077/perma/gof.png
    [/image]

baby steps now, baby steps...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Interesting that you say that. Friend.
    August 2007
    3,447 Posts
    Yeah the circle is the player, the blue line is a line from the player to the mouse. It's just that you can't see the mouse on the picture.
    In radians:

Player.Rotation = Math.Atan2(Mouse.Y - Player.Y, Mouse.X - Player.X)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,584 Posts
    I literally lold at this.

For anyone who doesnt get it, downs syndrome is caused by having an extra chromosome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 7Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    August 2010
    2,840 Posts
    I'm going to try to release something interesting in this WAYWO.
    I just don't have a idea at where to start at a good class structure.

16. Post #16
    August 2007
    3,447 Posts

Just recreating the Mersenne Twister random number generator from some code I saw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2010
    2,840 Posts

Just recreating the Mersenne Twister random number generator from some code I saw.
    comic sans... why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 40Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    March 2011
    297 Posts
    pointless awards:
    [list][*]most chromosomes: moustach3 / geel9[/list]
    :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny x 23Friendly x 3Dumb x 2Zing x 1Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    Oh god my eyes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    June 2010
    1,341 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, how many of the posters here are studying CS at university/college and how many are learning independently?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #21
    August 2010
    2,840 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, how many of the posters here are studying CS at university/college and how many are learning independently?
    independent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

22. Post #22
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    independent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    January 2009
    651 Posts
    The highlights in the last 3 WAYWO threads sucks.. I posted several images of 1 finished game and 1 current project.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts
    Independent learner here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,450 Posts
    independent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    q3k
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    921 Posts
    I've never taken a class in programming (heck, I'm just finishing my senior high school year).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #27
    August 2007
    3,447 Posts
    The highlights in the last 3 WAYWO threads sucks.. I posted several images of 1 finished game and 1 current project.
    I'm sad I didn't get in too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    March 2010
    4,073 Posts
    In radians:

Player.Rotation = Math.Atan2(Mouse.Y - Player.Y, Mouse.X - Player.X)
    Okay, so I got this right now for my player class:
    	public Entity(int x, int y, int width, int height, int health, int speed) {
    		this.x = x;
    		this.y = y;
    		this.health = health;
    		this.speed = speed;
    		this.width = width;
    		this.height = height;
    		score = 0;
    		rotation = (int) Math.atan2(MouseInfo.getPointerInfo().getLocation().y - y, MouseInfo.getPointerInfo().getLocation().x - x);
    		up = false;
    		down = false;
    		left = false;
    		right = false;
    		collision = false;
    	}

But, how would I actually let it rotate?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,550 Posts
    		this.x = x;
    		this.y = y;
    		this.health = health;
    		this.speed = speed;
    		this.width = width;
    		this.height = height;
    		score = 0;
    		rotation = (int) Math.atan2(MouseInfo.getPointerInfo().getLocation().y - y, MouseInfo.getPointerInfo().getLocation().x - x);
    		up = false;
    		down = false;
    		left = false;
    		right = false;
    		collision = false;
    	}

If you need help post in here. It helps to keep things more organised.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,584 Posts
    Started programming in C++ when I was 14, Im now 20 and am nearing the end of my second year of computer science at uni.

Learning independently was much more constructive. I know a lot about fancy technical stuff now thanks to uni, but most of my practical knowledge and skills come from self teaching.

31. Post #31
    January 2008
    647 Posts
    I'm at the end of my 2nd year of MSCE in game and software development.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

32. Post #32
    January 2008
    1,148 Posts
    that's nice. i'll put you on the cover of big whoop magazine.

honestly though, there's a difference between "highlights" and a "random selection of mildly interesting content from the last thread".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    August 2007
    3,447 Posts
    I'm not even out of Highschool, so Independent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,415 Posts
    Sucks that you can't quote stuff in closed threads, anyways.

GCC's optimizer is fucking awful.

I compiled this code with no optimizations:
    Even MSVC doesn't optimize out the array access. So you are comparing code that reads/writes to memory to code that uses only registers. Plus it has to do an extra modulus.

35. Post #35
    August 2007
    3,447 Posts
    		this.x = x;
    		this.y = y;
    		this.health = health;
    		this.speed = speed;
    		this.width = width;
    		this.height = height;
    		score = 0;
    		up = false;
    		down = false;
    		left = false;
    		right = false;
    		collision = false;
    	}

I responded to this in the What do you need help with thread.

36. Post #36
    March 2011
    297 Posts
    I just got into highschool last year, so independent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 7Artistic x 1Informative x 1Optimistic x 1Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,326 Posts
    Independent at the moment, but hopefully studying CompSci next year.

38. Post #38
    April 2007
    534 Posts
    I'm a bit of both, I started independent, then I did Computing at A-Level (but learnt Delphi so it wasn't really that useful), and I've learnt other languages on my own. I'm planning on studying Software Engineering next year.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    Though I'm working towards a degree, a majority of my learning is on my own time. So independent?

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,125 Posts
    Independent, just got into middle school.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)