1. Post #1
    The Savior of FP
    May 2010
    5,629 Posts
    I’m currently working on 1.6, which will be mostly a bug fix update. I will be going through bug lists (including the great one on the Minecraft wiki) and fixing as many as I can. There’s no set date for the update yet as I don’t know how long it’ll take to go through the list. The only new feature that will appear is the mapping.
    When you craft a map, you will be able to somehow select how “zoomed in” you want the map to be. It will be centered on the location where you craft it, and it will fill in as you explore the land. If you go outside the edges of the map, it will stop updating, so each map is of a specific area. (like real maps!)
    Here’s a screenshot of a fully zooomed in map (good for town maps, for example):

And here’s a screenshot of a fully zoomed out map:

If you drop a map and someone else picks it up, they will be able to see your progress. You will also be able to (somehow) CLONE maps so that two separate map items link to the same map data. That means you can see what other players carrying the same map explores, and both you and them will show up as blinking dots or similar on the maps.
    Currently, the map will only update if you’re holding it in your hands, but the map will kind of hide away when you’re looking straight forward. To see the map properly, you have to look down, thisly:

Any changes you make to the terrain will show up on the maps, but only once someone carrying the map gets near that area. In other words, you won’t magically get to see changes far away on the map.
    At the moment the map doesn’t work at all in multiplayer, but that’s my next task. The code I write to support that will also be possible to reuse in the future for things like books and notes written by players, and possibly even custom paintings/hand drawn signs.
    There’s a hard limit of 65536 unique maps per world, though, and I don’t think I can get around that without breaking the code very bad. I’m trying to figure out if the limit is high enough or if I should spend the time rewriting the code..
    Sorry, I think the title is a bit misleading, as in it makes it look like its already been released, could a mod change it to something better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner x 112Late x 3Informative x 2Useful x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    ~buttslut~
    September 2008
    5,855 Posts
    Oh hell yes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 42 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2009
    1,973 Posts
    How would 65,536 maps not be enough?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 77Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    I can imagine chestfuls of maps in peoples homes now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 44Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    March 2008
    1,608 Posts
    I am looking forward to this. Plenty of bug fixes and a nifty map. I doubt it'l be out for a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    December 2009
    8,483 Posts
    The graphic looks a bit shitty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 69Funny x 16Disagree x 9Agree x 5Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,068 Posts
    How would 65,536 maps not be enough?
    Indeed. Each player on a filled 64 slot server could have 1024 maps on them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 13Informative Informative x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,996 Posts
    hell yeah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,499 Posts
    Whats the great bug on Minecraft wiki about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,957 Posts
    ULTIMATE GRIEFING: Craft 65536 maps, hide them in chests.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny x 83Agree x 12Winner x 5Artistic x 1Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2009
    4,174 Posts
    The graphic looks a bit shitty.
    The arms and paper have no variation/noise. When that's fixed, it should look good.

12. Post #12
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,712 Posts
    I bet you that this version is going to be the best.

just like counter strike 1.6!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,837 Posts

looks like a dick, dawg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 50Funny x 14Optimistic x 12Disagree x 3Useful x 1Late x 1Informative x 1Friendly x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,982 Posts
    ULTIMATE GRIEFING: Craft 65536 maps, hide them in chests.
    Most boring and time consuming method of griefing ever, especially the getting 65536 of anything legitimately. But that's only the vanilla servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,126 Posts
    This looks awesome, oh my god
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2009
    1,253 Posts

looks like a dick, dawg.
    Damn ninja :smithicide:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,966 Posts

looks like a dick, dawg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 149Winner Winner x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    Frog Member
    February 2008
    2,569 Posts
    Holy shiiiiit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,966 Posts
    Also, selling explored world maps for a few iron sounds like a good business idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

20. Post #20
    You're a big guy.
    January 2011
    4,942 Posts
    Also, selling explored world maps for a few iron sounds like a good business idea.
    Good god. I want a RP server now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

21. Post #21
    Frog Member
    February 2008
    2,569 Posts
    Wait a second, will we be able to make cave maps?

Perhaps we should be able to choose the elevation level of the map as well as the zoom level. It would certainly be useful when exploring huge cave systems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    14,694 Posts
    Wait, where is this from? Have i missed somebodys' devblog?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,966 Posts
    Wait, where is this from? Have i missed somebodys' devblog?
    Notch the box

24. Post #24
    February 2011
    1,267 Posts
    Those maps look much better than I imagined. I'm going to stop sending Notch tweets from here on out. I know now that he and I share the same ideas.

To those who think the graphics are shite. STFU. I think it looks great and fits MC very well!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    July 2008
    880 Posts
    Maybe its because it the image is so small, but I think is should be able to zoom in (a little)more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    moo
    November 2006
    4,818 Posts
    I wonder if we'll be able to place the maps on walls like paintings, maybe on top of blocks too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,793 Posts
    At the moment the map doesn’t work at all in multiplayer, but that’s my next task. The code I write to support that will also be possible to reuse in the future for things like books and notes written by players, and possibly even custom paintings/hand drawn signs.
    Written books and notes, custom paintings!?

FUCK YES.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 40 (list)

28. Post #28
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    14,694 Posts
    Notch the box
    Oh he just updated his tumblr, checked it earlier today :doh:

29. Post #29
    July 2009
    1,023 Posts
    I wonder if you would be able to write on the map, like

I can see the SMP names now...
    "Dick mountain"
    "Valley of *crossed out part* penis"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 28Funny Funny x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,928 Posts

FUCK YES.
    Filling people's houses with dong pictures while they're away, here I come!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 28Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,790 Posts
    Wait a second, will we be able to make cave maps?

Perhaps we should be able to choose the elevation level of the map as well as the zoom level. It would certainly be useful when exploring huge cave systems.
    To be honest, I care more about cave maps than surface maps. I get lost really easily in some huge caves, and I'd love to have a map that can lead me out.

Though I can see how cave maps would be hard, what with them looping around and such. Maybe sort of an elevation map thing, and when you have overlapping areas (cave above a cave), it'll only show the one you're currently in (your feet's elevation up to the cave's top). I think that could possibly work. Don't know how difficult it'd be to implement though.

Edited:

Good god. I want a RP server now
    When my friends and I play MineCraft, we kind of already do that. We have an Item Barter Value system, where each item is worth a different amount of BV's, and a fair trade is considered when both parties trade the same worth of BV in items.

For example, Coal is set to 2BV, and Wool is set to 6BV, so a fair trade would be 3 coal for 1 wool.

Here's the list on my dropbox, which I give to my friends as they join.

Minecraft Prices.

Actually brings up a protoidea I had about a sort of RPG mod that locked players into roleplaying roles. I'm not a big roleplayer in general, but I think Minecraft would be a great game for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,929 Posts

FUCK YES.
    I only want written books TBH

Edited:

I don't want to see dicks in every house I enter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Croatia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,826 Posts
    I wonder if we'll be able to place the maps on walls like paintings, maybe on top of blocks too.
    That's what I'm hoping for. It would also be nice to place markers for tings you want to revisit. There's been countless times I've made a mental note to explore something once I'm finished doing what I'm doing and then not been able to find the feature again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #34
    April 2011
    756 Posts
    Incoming bukkit mod that only enables a certain amount of maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

35. Post #35
    February 2010
    3,222 Posts
    That is great. When I first heard about maps being officially implemented I was thinking "It would be great if the map was physical item you carry around instead of just some screen. Too bad that's way out of Minecraft's league." I was so completely proved wrong. Physical maps are one of my favorite little details in a game. They add so much immersion if the items are something you hold in your virtual hands. I think Far Cry 2 does this, but I remember specifically it was my favorite part of Vietcong, a pretty old shooter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,965 Posts
    The map background needs a bit of fancying up, but I'm sure it will be great with texture packs. I think the pixel art for the map itself is spot on. I hope the graphic for the background of the map isn't restricted to flat color, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    3,295 Posts
    Imagine, instead of obsidian and diamonds in peoples' chests rooms there are just chests upon chests of maps leading to different buried caches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 31Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    April 2007
    1,982 Posts
    inb4 quest saves with maps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,261 Posts
    I'll make a map to my creeper sex slave room
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Facepunch's Local Lycanthrope
    December 2008
    1,777 Posts
    I'll make a map to my creeper sex slave room
    Can I join? :q:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Jersey Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 7Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)