1. Post #1
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    Just looking for volunteers to find bugs/exploits/gamebreaking stuff etc.

Latest version for download here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?lwupni82i30sg9g

Foxhole is a FREE game, eventually open-source. (And before you even ask...) Foxhole is not a game made BY or exclusively FOR furries. I do not like furries. Foxhole's gameplay is incomplete, that is to say, nonexistent. I value constructive criticism and use it to make the game better, but all I ask is not to yell at me about things which simply aren't there YET. This release is for TESTING purposes. Do not expect to enjoy yourself.

My motivation for making Foxhole does not involve money, fame, or a fetish for beastmen. It is a project with which I work on to hone my skills and eventually get some background material for a later possible career as a game developer of some sort.

Eventually, Foxhole may find its way to indieDB.

If for some godforsaken reason you wish to contact me, you can do so at cdsand08@gmail.com

If I had to describe Foxhole, I'd say it's a shooter-platformer injected with base-building/maintenance gameplay. The buildings all have gameplay purposes for existing, there are no cosmetic items or any focus on creative building. I know it's easy to draw similarities between Minecraft/Infiniminer/etc. and Foxhole because of the tile-based environs, but it's just NOT that kind of game.

UPDATE 12 (May 27)
    -Fixed the various tutorial errors.
    -Corrected Walter's color in the error screen. He was much too yellow.
    -Fixed decorations having their lighting sampled from a tile off.
    -Added grass decoration
    -The in-game number of days that have passed is now recorded. This will be used for gameplay reasons and is also shown on the save file. This will break previous saves.
    -Walter can now recall himself to the recpad by doubletapping R (or whatever you bind to R), it will sap his health and stamina, but not use polynyx.
    -Added Fullscreen and Pixel Smoothing options. These are saved in the config.ini so the game starts that way.
    -You must now hold down the RMB to stay in the building menu. Letting go of RMB confirms your choice.
    -Adjusted crouching animation
    -Added a few thoughtbubble icons that pop up over Walter for different events. These take priority over Walter's flavor speech.
    -Added a N.A.D.S. hotkey. Press it to instantly equip N.A.D.S.
    -The mouse wheel can now also be used to scroll through the buildables list.

UPDATE 11 (May 24)
    -Added a Game Over screen. From there you can choose to quit to main menu or load your latest save. Note that you'll only see this if you die without a recpad. I may consider a difficulty mode wherein you may not use the recpad.
    -Gelgrubs are slightly less stupid.
    -Gelgrubs are no longer as quick to expire from your shovel spin.
    -Solid buildings like the mineral crate and battery now affect enemy pathing.
    -Added a quit button to the main menu.
    -Doors will no longer close if an enemy is blocking the way.
    -Changed door sprite
    -Walter will no longer say "/none"
    -Added sounds for the door.
    -Changed digging sound
    -Added Credits screen.
    -Added new error screen. Test it by dividing by zero in the main menu.
    -Added sand tiles. Identical to dirt/grass, except you're more likely to find polynyx in it.
    -Polynyx from grass/dirt is now less likely. Haha.
    -Added mushrooms. (Decoration)
    -Decorations (Like plants and trees) are placed in a better way and are also saved into the map. Previous saves will break.
    -Decorations are now destroyed when the tile they are attached to is destroyed or something is built on them.
    -Changed the Control Setting Apply button to say "Accept" instead of "Apply"
    -Walter's speechbubble no longer appears behind objects.
    -Enemies must be closer to keep you from sleeping at the bed.

UPDATE 10 (May 16)
    -Changed the spikefly sprite.
    -Slightly fewer spikeflies will spawn from felled hives now.
    -All weapons and tools can now be used continuously by holding down LMB
    -Gave Walter a new move, useful as a melee attack, but that's not all... right-click with the shovel to try it.
    -Added a new enemy.

UPDATE 9 (May 14)
    -Control settings are now saved to config.ini.
    -The controls you set for the keyboard are now exclusive to the keys you choose, with the default keys deactivated.
    -Implemented a simple pause screen. It may be buggy. This really needs serious testing.
    -Made a new cursor sprite for menus and what-have-you.
    -Spikes and hives are polymorphically linked to buildings, and so they made machine debris when destroyed. I reworked this so that each object names its own debris type, so you won't see a hive erupt into an amalgam of gears and pipes.
    -Fixed lightsources not lighting up your screenshots. This comes at the cost of not being able to make the crosshair invisible for the shot.
    -Reduced abrupt camera movement caused by crouching in mid-air.
    -Fixed some more minor memory leaks.
    -Energy capacity is now enforced.
    -Buildables now cost polynyx. No, the costs aren't properly balanced.
    -Hives now have a chance of producing multiple polynyx drops when knocked down.
    -Savegame directory is now made automatically if it does not exist.

UPDATE 8 (May 14)
    -Added custom control mapping. (Doesn't save your settings yet)
    -Fixed a bug that caused right-click events to take place when you didn't have your N.A.D.S. out. (Ha)
    -Fixed a bug that caused the bed and console to become unusable after you die and are reclaimed.
    -Fixed strange alpha errors made by screenshots.
    -Removed a bunch of memory leaks caused by my not knowing that the gigantic data structures used to store world data and other things don't get freed from memory properly. Whoops.

UPDATE 7 (May 11)
    -Added a new menu for loading save files. Each new game has its own save id, numbered 1-10. This means you cannot have multiple saves with one playthrough. Each save is a separate playthrough. This is subject to change.
    -Buildings now create debris when destroyed.
    -Walter will not sleep at the bed until he's tired (30% stamina or lower)
    -You can no longer walk while in the build menu by holding down A/D before opening the build menu.
    -Fixed a variable scope issue that caused buildings to be deactivated on a loaded game.
    -Smoothed out camera movement a bit.
    -The door now blocks enemy pathing when closed. This means they'll actually try to find a way around it if it closes.
    -Enemies now delete their pathpoints and pathcarrots when destroyed. Should prevent potential memory leaks and instance pileup.
    -Improved buttons.

UPDATE 6 (May 11)
    -The game now pauses when the window loses focus. A quick fix to prevent the ladder bug that allowed you to climb forever if you alt tabbed while climbing.
    -Polynyx can no longer be picked up when you are dead or passed out.
    -Added new tile type that lies deeper into the background. They act the same as empty tiles, in that you must build scaffolds on them in order to build there.
    -You can no longer sleep at the bed if enemies are nearby.
    -Walter now talks to himself. Don't worry, this will be optional at some point.
    -The cave carver no longer carves through the surface.
    -Changed the logo a bit.
    -Added the battery building and the associated "energy capacity" stat for the base.
    -Fixed a bug that caused loaded saves to get the wrong base values like mineral amount/cap.
    -Added some new weather effects.
    -Spikes and hives no longer spawn on top of buildings.
    -Added an animation for Walter going to bed. (Now excuse me while I do the same.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic x 23Winner x 17Funny x 5Artistic x 2Informative x 1Agree x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,475 Posts
    Foxhole is not a game made BY or exclusively FOR furries.
    are you absolutely sure
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 68Funny Funny x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    are you absolutely sure
    I have to tell people otherwise, they won't know.

Do you have any idea what happens when I show people this game and DON'T tell them I'm not a furry (which is true)?

Not fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24Friendly Friendly x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    December 2010
    2,058 Posts
    I have a bad feeling this thread is going to become a shitstorm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 28Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2010
    6,179 Posts
    Oh hey I know you, you're a good artist. It shows.

goddamnit cant get past the third jump in the tutorial, and when i do i fall off the ladder, otherwise this is pretty damn sweet.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,070 Posts
    i remember when games could have animals that stand up in them and not be called furry games by dumb people

Edited:

also the game is pretty cool so far
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 66Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    Oh hey I know you, you're a good artist. It shows.

goddamnit cant get past the third jump in the tutorial, and when i do i fall off the ladder, otherwise this is pretty damn sweet.
    I have noticed the ladder is hard to jump onto. Might tweak that if everyone agrees.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,475 Posts
    i remember when games could have animals that stand up in them and not be called furry games by dumb people

Edited:

also the game is pretty cool so far
    Sonic's fanbase ruined the series. The genesis games and maybe a couple dreamcast ones are still enjoyable but everything got all cocked up when the deviantart crowd latched on to sonic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    I've been updating the game daily for a couple weeks. Just thought of posting it here today.

Anyway, next I'm working on the terrain generation and making the tiles look nicer. Should have some sort of something out tomorrow.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,603 Posts
    I am loving the bespectacled commander fox-guy. The concept just looks incredibly awesome.
    Are you going to put some voice-acting?

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,070 Posts
    Sonic's fanbase ruined the series. The genesis games and maybe a couple dreamcast ones are still enjoyable but everything got all cocked up when the deviantart crowd latched on to sonic
    ok

when was this a sonic discussion

Edited:

it's called an example
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,475 Posts
    ok

when was this a sonic discussion

Edited:

it's called an example
    You started it

don't get all buttfrustrated now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 31Winner Winner x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Stop ruining the thread and talk about the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    I am loving the bespectacled commander fox-guy. The concept just looks incredibly awesome.
    Are you going to put some voice-acting?
    PFFT, I fuckin' wish it could have voice acting. I'm alone on this game though. I'm not good at organizing that kind of thing. Maybe I'm autistic.

Oh and Wyatt isn't a commander. He's the scientist who invented N.A.D.S. and is Walter's(main char) brother. Wyatt's been working as a scientist for the military for years, Walter joins the armed forces right out of high school and a set of circumstances lead to him being randomly selected to test out secret government tech. Coincidence has it that his older brother is in charge of that secret tech. Walter is later assigned to test N.A.D.S. on the field and set up a base of operations to combat an infestation of gigantic insects on a deserted quarantine zone in the middle of a forest.

That's the extended-universe version of the story. The game itself will probably touch on this via subtext. I plan to have a minimalist intro as far as story content goes. The player will discover backstories and things of interest as they play. I think that's a good system.

The story will definitely be something out of a cartoon though. No slice-of-life or relationshit out of a soap opera. THAT would be for furries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,058 Posts
    heh

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 55Late Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    September 2010
    1,852 Posts
    Looks kickin' rad

17. Post #17
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    http://www.mediafire.com/?qq0i0j3um3rhnof

New download link. I updated the game with some sound effects instead of doing the terrain. I guess I'll do the terrain next. Pinky swear.

18. Post #18
    August 2010
    6,179 Posts
    I want to see this continued, please do so.

Also, I was mucking around and managed to get myself trapped in the shit I made by dying.

No-Build zones?

oh wait now i see the destroy thing
    nevermind

19. Post #19
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    I want to see this continued, please do so.

Also, I was mucking around and managed to get myself trapped in the shit I made by dying.

No-Build zones?

oh wait now i see the destroy thing
    nevermind
    Elaborate on how you got stuck. Don't want that happening in the first place, even if you can get out.

20. Post #20
    CRUSHER OF DREAMS AND EATER OF SKITTLES
    August 2007
    5,614 Posts
    I really like the art.

The tutorial never actually said how to switch weapons, might want to add that somewhere.
    I got an error about trying to use a non-something surface when I went fullscreen. Had to abort. Sorry I didn't get exact error or a screenshot, I'll try to recreate the bug.

21. Post #21
    August 2010
    6,179 Posts
    Elaborate on how you got stuck. Don't want that happening in the first place, even if you can get out.
    Placed the blocks, fell down hole, died, respawned in the blocks. Crouching got me out of it.

22. Post #22
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    I really like the art.

The tutorial never actually said how to switch weapons, might want to add that somewhere.
    I got an error about trying to use a non-something surface when I went fullscreen. Had to abort. Sorry I didn't get exact error or a screenshot, I'll try to recreate the bug.
    Oh, good catch on the tutorial. Can't believe I forgot that.
    That error occurs when you switch fullscreen because drawing surfaces in video memory that are still in use by things like the HUD and the map are destroyed and the game can't find them when it comes back up. (Although I have put checks into the game to prevent that, and they work for me, but I guess not for everyone.) This is typically why games require you to restart if you want to change the resolution or certain graphics settings. I will be doing the same with Foxhole eventually.

Placed the blocks, fell down hole, died, respawned in the blocks. Crouching got me out of it.
    AH, okay. Well that's the result of a couple of player triggers I placed that keep the player from falling off the level. I guess I can ignore that since it's just the tutorial. But maybe creating a nobuild trigger could be useful for that situation and other things I encounter while making pre-made levels like the tutorial...

23. Post #23
    August 2007
    5,614 Posts
    What is the 'use' key? In the tutorial it told me to use the bed, but I just ended up dying, haha.

24. Post #24
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    What is the 'use' key? In the tutorial it told me to use the bed, but I just ended up dying, haha.
    It's 'W', but neither the bed nor computer console are functional yet.

25. Post #25
    August 2007
    5,614 Posts
    Ah, Okay.

Edit:
    I tunneled through the bottom of the map and wound up on the surface. :smug:

26. Post #26
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    Ah, Okay.

Edit:
    I tunneled through the bottom of the map and wound up on the surface. :smug:
    How?

27. Post #27
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    Update.

28. Post #28
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    New update!
    I'm very happy about making the optimization faster. That's a load off my mind.

I -THINK- I'm getting to that "time to kick this into overdrive and start adding content" stage, but there's still a couple things.

-Need to add the ability to save progress. Kind of a huge hassle, seeing as the map takes quite a few megs of space (as raw memory), I want to save only the essentials, thus decreasing filesize. That will take some effort and lots of trial and error.

-Need to put in the sleeping/time system. This will change weather, erode/modify the environment, restore the player's stamina, spawn new enemies (there is no plan for mid-play spawning, considering a reward for clearing all the enemies in a day...) advance certain stories/missions and serve as a prerequisite for some events. Needless to say, it's a big part of the game, and will take time to implement.

-Stamina needs to DO something. I'm thinking... slow Walter down as it gets critically low, and if it runs out, he passes out, and wakes up the next day without being healed (bed will heal you when slept on).

29. Post #29
    August 2010
    6,179 Posts
    This sounds like it could turn out pretty awesome.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,290 Posts

im high as fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

31. Post #31
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    Tell me how that saving/loading works.

Any problems you can catch while I'm asleep would just make the next update come that much faster. (That's what she said)

32. Post #32
    Who wants to come to the aquarium later and watch me screw with the sharks?
    May 2009
    13,359 Posts
    Crap, man, if you did this by yourself you're damn good. I'm gonna keep my eye on this.

33. Post #33
    June 2010
    5,657 Posts
    Is it/will there be a multiplayer?

34. Post #34
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    Is it/will there be a multiplayer?
    If I get done with the singleplayer, I really want to try that.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,623 Posts
    I can't beat the tutorial level. I mean really, that obstacle course jump (2x horizontal spaces, 2x vertical spaces) is impossible for me to make.

36. Post #36
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    I can't beat the tutorial level. I mean really, that obstacle course jump (2x horizontal spaces, 2x vertical spaces) is impossible for me to make.
    I'm shit at games and do it all the time! The trick is to walk until he's about halfway off the edge, then crouchjump, he'll just about make it. I am considering taking it out of the tutorial though. Might be a bit too tricky for a beginner level. However, changing the jumping mechanics or physics at this point would be a bad idea, I've got them in a perfect spot I feel.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,623 Posts
    I'm shit at games and do it all the time! The trick is to walk until he's about halfway off the edge, then crouchjump, he'll just about make it. I am considering taking it out of the tutorial though. Might be a bit too tricky for a beginner level. However, changing the jumping mechanics or physics at this point would be a bad idea, I've got them in a perfect spot I feel.
    I died three times on it and I still can't make it

38. Post #38
    August 2010
    113 Posts
    I died three times on it and I still can't make it
    Then I guess I'll have to raise up the floor under there so that you don't take fall damage. Heh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    -
    May 2006
    10,183 Posts
    It's not a furry game, guys. Furries can't say "foxhole" without accompanying the word with disturbing anal innuendo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 7Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    August 2010
    113 Posts

Because baby cried, I changed the game for baby. Goo goo ga ga.

Baby want ironsights? Baby want health regen?

Yessheduz, Yessheduzzz... aw, he spit up. Adorable.

I'm kidding. People have been saying that jump was difficult, and I agree, at least as a tutorial jump. So, I removed that jump, made the jump to the ladder harder, increased the fall damage speed threshold, but scaled up fall damage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Winner Winner x 1 (list)