1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    A man called Thomas Silverstein went to jail 19 years old for armed robbery and later on killed 2 inmates (self-defence, he says) and a prison guard and was thus confined to the solitary for the next 28 years.

Here's the full document he wrote, it's 64 pages though: Document
    Here's the source: Source

This is a small take from the document:
    The cell was so small that I could stand in one place and touch both walls simultaneously. The ceiling was so low that I could reach up and touch the hot light fixture.

My bed took up the length of the cell, and there was no other furniture at all…The walls were solid steel and painted all white.

I was permitted to wear underwear, but I was given no other clothing.

Shortly after I arrived, the prison staff began construction on the side pocket cell, adding more bars and other security measures to the cell while I was within it. In order not to be burned by sparks and embers while they welded more iron bars across the cell, I had to lie on my bed and cover myself with a sheet.

It is hard to describe the horror I experienced during this construction process. As they built new walls around me it felt like I was being buried alive. It was terrifying.

During my first year in the side pocket cell I was completely isolated from the outside world and had no way to occupy my time. I was not allowed to have any social visits, telephone privileges, or reading materials except a bible. I was not allowed to have a television, radio, or tape player. I could speak to no one and their was virtually nothing on which to focus my attention.

I was not only isolated, but also disoriented in the side pocket. This was exacerbated by the fact that I wasn’t allowed to have a wristwatch or clock. In addition, the bright, artificial lights remained on in the cell constantly, increasing my disorientation and making it difficult to sleep. Not only were they constantly illuminated, but those lights buzzed incessantly. The buzzing noise was maddening, as there often were no other sounds at all. This may sound like a small thing, but it was my entire world.

Due to the unchanging bright artificial lights and not having a wristwatch or clock, I couldn’t tell if it was day or night. Frequently, I would fall asleep and when I woke up I would not know if I had slept for five minutes or five hours, and would have no idea of what day or time of day it was.

I tried to measure the passing of days by counting food trays. Without being able to keep track of time, though, sometimes I thought the officers had left me and were never coming back. I thought they were gone for days, and I was going to starve. It’s likely they were only gone for a few hours, but I had no way to know.

I was so disoriented in Atlanta that I felt like I was in an episode of the twilight zone. I now know that I was housed there for about four years, but I would have believed it was a decade if that is what I was told. It seemed eternal and endless and immeasurable…

There was no air conditioning or heating in the side pocket cells. During the summer, the heat was unbearable. I would pour water on the ground and lay naked on the floor in an attempt to cool myself…

The only time I was let out of my cell was for outdoor recreation. I was allowed one hour a week of outdoor recreation. I could not see any other inmates or any of the surrounding landscape during outdoor recreation. There was no exercise equipment and nothing to do…

My vision deteriorated in the side pocket, I think due to the constant bright lights, or possibly also because of other aspects of this harsh environment. Everything began to appear blurry and I became sensitive to light, which burned my eyes and gave me headaches.

Nearly all of the time, the officers refused to speak to me. Despite this, I heard people who I believed to be officers whispering into my vents, telling me they hated me and calling me names. To this day, I am not sure if the officers were doing this to me, or if I was starting to lose it and these were hallucinations.

In the side pocket cell, I lost some ability to distinguished what was real. I dreamt I was in prison. When I woke up, I was not sure which was reality and which was a dream.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Spain Show Events Friendly x 315Funny x 13Informative x 5Winner x 2Artistic x 2Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2010
    676 Posts
    Was this even LEGAL?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 213Optimistic x 2Dumb x 1Artistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    Was this even LEGAL?
    He killed 3 men, one a man that worked in prison, and in any case prisons in the USA are horrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Spain Show Events Agree x 190Disagree x 3Dumb x 3Artistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    11,628 Posts
    I almost feel sorry for the guy.

Edited:

He killed 3 men, one a man that worked in prison, and in any case prisons in the USA are horrible.
    and this is why I dont.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 124Dumb x 75Disagree x 19Funny x 5Winner x 2Artistic x 1Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    holy shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 31Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,047 Posts
    Wow, the American penal system is seriously fucked up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 266Dumb x 24Disagree x 22Informative x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Der Führer
    January 2011
    4,108 Posts
    No matter his crime(s), I truly feel sorry for this man. No person should have to bear that punishment. I would rather die than slowly become insane.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 343Disagree Disagree x 12Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    January 2010
    1,129 Posts
    Prisons are doing a great job with 'rehabilitation'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree x 278Zing x 52Funny x 7Winner x 6Dumb x 5Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    I think that was just retribution from the guards and the warden for the guard murder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 115Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,268 Posts
    We need to fix alot of shit in the U.S. and this has to be one of them. I mean prisons today almost never 'rehabilitate' the prisoner, when he comes out he's either the same or worse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 150Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,536 Posts
    Damn, it seems like 1 year of solitary confinement would be enough the way he describes it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 45Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Just going to point out that this man was a leader of a gang that killed people just for being a different race, and who's activities included: "Murder, assault, Drug trafficking, Extortion, Racketeering, Arms trafficking, inmate prostitution, and Dog fighting".

Also, he didn't murder the guard in self defense, he killed him in cold blood because he was "deliberately harassing him." The gang's logo:

Not sure I entirely agree with the punishment but I'm sure the armed robbery he nailed for wasn't the worst thing he did in his life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 119Informative x 36Agree x 19Winner x 4Funny x 3Artistic x 1Late x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,895 Posts
    I would never wish to be, or anyone, to be in the position he was in, or anything similar. :smith:.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    May 2009
    972 Posts
    sounds like something i wouldn't want to give to my worst enemy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Puerto Rico Show Events Agree Agree x 41Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Der Führer
    January 2011
    4,108 Posts
    Just going to point out that this man was a leader of a gang that killed people just for being a different race, and who's activities included: "Murder, assault, Drug trafficking, Extortion, Racketeering, Arms trafficking, inmate prostitution, and Dog fighting".

Also, he didn't murder the guard in self defense, he killed him in cold blood because he was "deliberately harassing him." The gang's logo:

Not sure I entirely agree with the punishment but I'm sure the armed robbery he nailed for wasn't the worst thing he did in his life.
    Uhm, no. In his paper he said he is not a part of any gang nor is he a leader of any gang. Don't make stuff up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative x 91Agree x 30Dumb x 2Disagree x 1Artistic x 1Winner x 1Useful x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,912 Posts
    Wow, the American penal system is seriously fucked up.
    It could be worse, ever seen midnight express? Turkish prisons are fucking brutal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    12,135 Posts
    I don't feel bad for this guy at all

it's not armed robbery that got him into solitary confinement it's the killing of 3 people

no one starts out in solitary confinement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 29Agree Agree x 11Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,030 Posts
    The picture that he drew once he got his art supplies was just... indescribable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 111Artistic x 14Friendly x 4Disagree x 2Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts

you do realise that's what the GUARDS are saying? looking at the way they treated him for the past 28 years, i wouldn't trust a word out of them

Edited:

also good job with the fake sources asshole
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 84Dumb Dumb x 2Zing Zing x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,031 Posts
    This is something I'd expect to hear from Syria, not America
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 90Optimistic Optimistic x 5Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,785 Posts
    I almost feel sorry for the guy.

Edited:

and this is why I dont.
    You need to practice empathy then forgiveness, in that order.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree x 43Useful x 4Disagree x 2Funny x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    I don't feel bad for this guy at all

it's not armed robbery that got him into solitary confinement it's the killing of 3 people

no one starts out in solitary confinement.
    they were self defense bro
    there's no reason to keep him anyway, he's clearly stated and proven that he doesn't have murderous tendencies anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 16Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,642 Posts
    just gives me another reason to kill myself then go to jail
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    12,135 Posts
    killing a security guard isn't self defense
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 64Agree x 28Disagree x 11Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,031 Posts
    Damn, it seems like 1 year of solitary confinement would be enough the way he describes it.
    Solitary confinement of this type is never acceptable under any circumstance
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 95Disagree Disagree x 14Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,293 Posts

Wow you're a huge ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 118Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    October 2007
    1,131 Posts
    It's a shitty situation. On the one hand, solitary confinement is fucking horrible. I can't even begin to fathom staying there for a week, let alone 28 years. On the other though, he is a risk to other prisoners, and the guards. Maybe, with the recent court date, he can prove he is no longer a harm, but until then, the guards see no reason to put themselves, and others at risk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    November 2010
    179 Posts
    I'm on page 44 right now. Holy shit, I wouldn't wish this hell upon anyone. If I were in his situation, I probably would have tried to kill myself a long time ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,031 Posts
    It's a shitty situation. On the one hand, solitary confinement is fucking horrible. I can't even begin to fathom staying there for a week, let alone 28 years. On the other though, he is a risk to other prisoners, and the guards. Maybe, with the recent court date, he can prove he is no longer a harm, but until then, the guards see no reason to put themselves, and others at risk.
    Standard solitary confinement 23 hours per day (1 hour of exercise), not this bullshit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,181 Posts
    killing a security guard isn't self defense
    :frog:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 55Dumb x 6Disagree x 1Artistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    July 2009
    4,037 Posts
    Solitary confinement of this type is never acceptable under any circumstance
    What about that one time where that guy raped a girl for 48 hours, burned her eyes and cut her everywhere?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree x 63Funny x 7Disagree x 7Friendly x 3Zing x 2Informative x 1Artistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    May 2010
    148 Posts
    Standard solitary confinement 23 hours per day (1 hour of exercise), not this bullshit
    oh god why did I rate you funny
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 41Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    this is horrible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    May 2010
    11,299 Posts
    The picture that he drew once he got his art supplies was just... indescribable.
    Reminds me of this.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree x 59Dumb x 8Agree x 2Funny x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    It's actually 167 hours of solitary confinement per week with 1 hour of exercise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Spain Show Events Friendly Friendly x 15Informative Informative x 6Agree Agree x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Der Führer
    January 2011
    4,108 Posts
    If I could get him out of jail now, I would. I truly feel bad for him, from the bottom of my heart. Anyone who decides someone gets solitary confinement is evil.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 19Disagree x 14Dumb x 2Optimistic x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,031 Posts
    The part where the gang rioted, took control of the prison and let him out of the cell was awesome

Edited:

It's actually 167 hours of solitary confinement per week with 1 hour of exercise.
    I've always heard of it here as being an hour of exercise a day in a special yard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree x 10Disagree x 3Funny x 2Artistic x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    July 2010
    1,133 Posts
    i don't think he should really be taken out of jail, but at least solitary confinement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    i don't think he should really be taken out of jail, but at least solitary confinement.
    well, on the bright side, solitary has kept him alive, despite how horrible being alive has been
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,895 Posts
    What he wrote down at "255" Is similar to "I have no mouth and I must scream" Version, Oh god, :smith:.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)