1. Post #1
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    no pop punk or post 2000 "post hardcore" (pop metal/scenecore) shit allowed thank you :)
    -------------------------------
    Punk: A Brief History

1963-1966
    Punk Rock is ultimately rooted in what is known now as Garage Rock which started with bands like the Troggs, The Kingsmen, The Trashmen, The Kinks, The Sonics, the D-Boys, and so on. This early proto-proto punk is marked by taking "Surf Rock" of bands like the Beach Boys, and hard blues, later on in the genre's taking influence from British Invasion "Beat Groups." Musically, it can be identified by shouted, distorted lo-fi vocals that are difficult to understand, and extremely harsh guitars which were used with as much fuzz as possible for the time. The most notable example of this genre that you can't have not heard is The Kingsmen's "Louie Louie," which has been covered from every Punk act from The Stooges to Bad Religion and so on.

Another notable example is the original "Surfin' Bird" by Minneapolis' own "Trashmen." The tempo of this track is incredible for its time, as are the rest of their tracks. Very intense drumming. It is actually the simple combination of two other RnB songs played twice as fast.

1968-1975
    It was roughly 1965 when more extreme acts like Television, MC5, The Stooges, The Modern Lovers, and The New York Dolls would start to surface, taking Garage Rock to a new level, creating what is now known as Proto-Punk. This genre is far more eclectic than Garage Rock, as songs from many other genres fall under this umbrella, including Led Zeppelin's "Communication Breakdown" (which would go on to be covered by DOA), to Black Sabbath's "Paranoid." Some British Invasion era bands also fall into this category, including The Kinks and The Who. Some early Glam artists such as David Bowie and T. Rex have also been put in this genre.

The two most notable bands of this era are easily the few first mentioned above, MC5 and The Stooges of Detroit, and The New York Dolls and The Modern Lovers. MC5 were the forefathers for The Stooges, where The Modern Lovers took more from the Kingsmen camp of quick simple recordings (their single "Roadrunner" notable for having been recorded in under an hour) and The New York Dolls fusing the music and image and style of The Rolling Stones with the attitude and edge of The Stooges.

MC5 seems to be the first to really take Psychedelics to a new level of intensity before the hippies got on their feet, starting up in 1965 and putting out Kick Out The Jams in 1968, a track that remains popular among punks to this day and is frequently covered.

The New York Dolls can be seen here with a particularly outlandish performance of their classic "Personality Crisis" which wasn't released until 1976 (this video being from 1973). This band is particularly notable in its spawning of Johnny Thunder, one of the biggest influences on the Sex Pistols.

There are also a few that claim this track is the first Hardcore Punk song; Iggy Pop's "I've Got a Right" from 1972

(And a brilliant cover from The Adolescents circa 1989)

1976-1980
    It was around 1976 that The Ramones, and then The Sex Pistols and The Clash popped onto the scene, bringing punk to the forefront, and creating what we really know now as "Punk Rock." The history of this is fairly well documented now, bands like The Clash and The Sex Pistols growing from small 100 person venues to huge 1000 capacity rooms sold out in a matter of months. Other notable bands from this short era include The Suicide Commandos, The Dead Boys, The Saints, The Damned, The Buzzcocks, Wire, Stiff Little Fingers, X-Ray Spex, Radio Birdman, and The Voidoids. This era is notable by its use of "buzzsaw" guitars, fast drumming, monotone vocals, simple melodies, short songs, and in the US, wearing leather, and bondaged influenced fashion in the UK.

Look at this huge crowd that The Clash is playing to in 1978, just two years after their inception, only one year after their record

The Ramones playing "I"m Against It"

Australia's "The Saints" One of the most underrated punk acts of all time

It would be around 1980 that most punk kids would fall to the wayside with the death of Sid of The Sex Pistols, or move on to Hardcore Punk

-------------- Hardcore Punk ---------------
    1978-1986

Hardcore. A term officially coined in 1981 by DOA's "Hardcore '81" record. It simple means to take things to the next level, to push it to its limits.

The two most cited "original hardcore" singles are the Bad Brains "Pay to Cum" 7", and Middle Class's "Out of Vouge" 7", released in 1979 in DC and 1978 in California respectively, with Black Flag's "Nervous Breakdown" EP (1978) getting an honorable mention. The Germs seem to win the "record" for the first Hardcore record with their 1979 release "GI", which is arguably borderline, but in my opinion, fine and pure Hardcore.

Bad Brains

Middle Class

Black Flag

The Germs

Various scenes formed around these acts, each now meticulously documented. On the east coast you had the best of both words, with cokeheads Gang Green butting heads with "Straight Edge" movement bands like SS Decontrol and Minor Threat, while on the west you had the more political acts like Flipper and The Dead Kennedys, all of these bands spawning before or in early 1981, Bad Brains ruling the west coast completely and Black Flag taking over the west.

It would be in 1981 that various other niche bands would pop up, such as TSOL and their macho attitudes, The Misfits and their dyed hair, and Husker Du, the fastest band on the planet. It was from Husker Du's approach in particular that bands really uped the ante, and eventually melded with metal through Black Flag's Sabbath worship, forming acts such as DRI, and causing the creation of "NYHC" bands, which are ultimately crossover thrash metal bands. NYHC acts include Agnostic Front, Cro Mags, etc.

Minor Threat - Filler

Husker Du - Land Speed Record (Live Album)

Dead Kennedys - Well Paid Scientist

DRI - I'd Rather Be Sleeping

Gang Green - Sold Out

Descendents - Statue of Liberty

--------------------------
    And that's keeping it very, very, very short
    Any questions?

Feel free to discuss anything past this. I don't really want to get into post-punk post hardcore, grindcore, or anything like that in the OP but go ahead and talk about it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    I started listening to hardcore about a month ago, those links you posted just saved me a lot of time

Black Flag are awesome, been listening to Damaged everyday for a while now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2011
    242 Posts
    Isn't the whole melodic hardcore OP-worthy? Bands like modern life is war, have heart, verse, and uk ones like dead swans, more than life? I'll try and write something later today, okay?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    If melodic hardcore counts I think Evergreen Terrace should be mentioned
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Australia Show Events

5. Post #5
    May 2011
    242 Posts
    I wouldn't know how to classify them, they don't fit in with any of the bands I named.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Belgium Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,112 Posts
    Mata Mata

Behead The Prophet No Lord Shall Live

Lords Of Lightspeed

Dystopia
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    rise above, we're gonna rise above
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    how does everyone feel about recent hardcore bands?

Trashtalk, Hand Of Mercy, 50 Lions, stuff like that

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    5,112 Posts
    What do you mean by recent? If you mean 2000s, I only heard stuff from Youth Attack when it comes to Hardcore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

10. Post #10
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    yeah that's what I meant

11. Post #11
    May 2011
    242 Posts
    Trash talk cool, really digging eyes and nines.
    got to see 50 lions last year, seeing them again in july. good band, not anything like parkway drive (thank god), the singers are brothers.

12. Post #12
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    Yeah, I saw them last year too, but only like 30 seconds of their set then they finished playing

13. Post #13
    May 2011
    242 Posts
    Oh too bad. Where are you from?
    When I saw them, two guys started fighting, then the security threw one of them out

14. Post #14
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    South Australia

My friend went into their pit and he got kicked in the head in less that 20 seconds.

15. Post #15
    May 2011
    242 Posts
    I don't like the mosh pits, to me it's all just showing off how hardcore you are.
    And I don't like breakdowns, they're all exactly the same.

16. Post #16
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    let's not go into that, I don't Vedi think wants his hardcore thread to be filled with discussions on breakdowns and circle pits

17. Post #17
    May 2011
    242 Posts
    let's not go into that, I don't Vedi think wants his hardcore thread to be filled with discussions on breakdowns and circle pits
    Good call, that's not what it's about.
    Do you know Carpathian? Saw them three times, last time in February. Too bad they called it quits.

18. Post #18
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    No, what's their best album I'll give it a look

19. Post #19
    May 2011
    242 Posts
    Isolation is their latest lp, latest 7" was wanderlust. Both worth checking out. The stuff before that is different, not really into it.

Edited:

Definitely worth checking out:
    More Than Life

Fairly new UK band, and their lp Love Let Me Go is one of the best hardcore records I've ever heard.
    They've toured with Defeater, Dead Swans, Brutality Will Prevail...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    Well I don't really care, as long as it's not in reference to self proclaimed "post hardcore" bands. NYHC's 90s scene had plenty of that stuff and it was all good and well

As far as modern punk goes, I am more of a garage revival and noise punk kind of guy. The Arrivals, The Marked Men, and a shitload of japanese bands like Tsushimamire

Edited:

I started listening to hardcore about a month ago, those links you posted just saved me a lot of time

Black Flag are awesome, been listening to Damaged everyday for a while now
    Great album. I think My War/Slip It In are my favorites

Edited:

Isn't the whole melodic hardcore OP-worthy? Bands like modern life is war, have heart, verse, and uk ones like dead swans, more than life? I'll try and write something later today, okay?
    I don't know any of those bands. Do you mean stuff like NOFX and Rancid?

I just wanted to get the true punk roots basics before it diverged into 100 different things down

Edited:

I mean just read the bottom of the OP, you can talk about whatever you want, I just wanted to write a short history

Edited:

Here's one of the great new japanese bands I'm talking about

You can hear a lot of early (real) post hardcore fugazi in there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    May 2011
    242 Posts
    I don't know any of those bands. Do you mean stuff like NOFX and Rancid?
    No, it's not punkrock. They are (were actually, most decided to call it quits) part of the 00s hardcore scene. Shall post some songs:

Have Heart - Watch Me rise:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAva3WOpb28&

Modern Life Is War - D.E.A.D.R.A.M.O.N.E.S.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6U3vRGyE8w

Dead Swans - 20/07/07
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSuU19e13Dk

American Nightmare - AM/PM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbTvVMd67k

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,604 Posts
    How has Black Flag not been posted yet? You guys are SLIPPING

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

23. Post #23
    May 2011
    242 Posts

Well, they have been mentioned you know.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,604 Posts
    SLIPPPpPING

25. Post #25
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    Read the OP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

26. Post #26
    June 2010
    985 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts

excuse me sir i believe i did say "rise above, we're gonna rise above"

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    and they're
    you know
    in the OP

29. Post #29
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    you didn't put the obviously superiour henry rollins era in the op
    you put the smelly moris era in there

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,102 Posts
    Green Day is my favorite punk band
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Green Day is my favorite punk band
    my foot is your favourite ass uh

my foot your ass basically

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,102 Posts
    my foot is your favourite ass uh

my foot your ass basically
    I guess they're too hardcore for you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    I guess they're too hardcore for you
    more like hardcore suck
    hah yeah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,102 Posts
    more like hardcore suck
    hah yeah
    Yeah, I knew they were too extreme for you

Some of my favorite punk songs:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

35. Post #35
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    well I was talking about early hardcore jesus i tried to avoid posting music by the same band twice

Edited:

lol get out of this thread

Edited:

please troll somewhere else ):

36. Post #36
    March 2011
    130 Posts
    PwnNoobsFtw, I love you.

Except Blink-182 is better then Green Day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,604 Posts

Moris era is smelly

38. Post #38
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    well I was talking about early hardcore jesus i tried to avoid posting music by the same band twice

Edited:

lol get out of this thread

Edited:

please troll somewhere else ):
    trolling? i'm just telling the truth foo

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    not you, the guy above my post

Edited:

PwnNoobsFtw, I love you.

Except Blink-182 is better then Green Day.
    you too

40. Post #40
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts

First post in the the thread they were mentioned

also comparing 80s hardcore to 2000s or earlier hardcore, there's a huge difference. I bet everyone else knows this but I don't, to me 80s hardcore sounds more surfy, doesn't make any sense but that's what I think when I hear it

Edited:

keep in mind I bet you guys have been listening to this stuff for years and I started a month ago