1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,887 Posts
    Let's show ourselves our E-Penis. What IDE (Integrated Development Environment, for the guys who just clicked for fun) or text editor are you using for programming/coding and the sorts?

I use Eclipse CDT for my C++ stuff, and Notepad++ for coding and looking at source files I don't need to work with.
    Because I don't want to get eye cancer, I use darker themes. Sadly you can only change the eclipse editor colors, but not the general background and that sorts, if you don't change the system theme itself. That's why I like linux.
    Have some pictures:

Font is Consolas (comes with visual studio) and font size 8/9.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    I use whatever. Mostly vim, sometimes gedit, notepad++, scite, or wordpad. I occasionally decide I'm going to give something like MSVC, Code::Blocks, Eclipse, Kdevelop, or Anjuta a shot but, inevitably, I just go back to my assortment of text editors out of sheer laziness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Wingless is awesome. Also, View my site
    February 2010
    5,836 Posts

Yeah whatever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

4. Post #4
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    Using mostly unchanged Notepad++, so no need for a screenshot.
    I tried going all black background for a while but it made me sleepy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2010
    1,440 Posts
    Why do i always feel awkward posting in a new subforum for the first time?
    Anyways I use sublime text for Lua scripting and msvc 2010 for c++
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2011
    186 Posts

PS: There's an easter-egg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,370 Posts

PS: There's an easter-egg.
    The part about sudo rm -rf /?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    832 Posts
    Read mail, really fast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    March 2010
    5,201 Posts
    I used to use a very old IDE (Dev C++) and I'm currently trying to adapt to Visual C++ 2010.

10. Post #10
    July 2009
    6,009 Posts

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,887 Posts
    Why can't I hold all these braces?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Visual Studio with a slightly modified Aspiration theme (I don't think you can see any of the modifications in this screenshot though)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    GVim!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    TVC

April 2010
    300 Posts
    Can I get your Notepad++ style?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    May 2010
    466 Posts
    VS 2008.
    Trying to move on to 2010.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,253 Posts
    VS C++ 2008/2010 depending on the project, Notepad++ for everything else I do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,023 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Dennab
    February 2011
    732 Posts
    Either this:

Or that:

20. Post #20
    April 2007
    823 Posts
    Any languages such as java or c++:

And this for lua and other random things:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,663 Posts

I did customize some colours a bit at one point, but some languages (Gmod Lua for example) required more faffing than necessary.

I also have a largely unchanged VS 2008, VS 2010 and Netbeans. I think the only difference in NetBeans is my comment colour, I love me that VS green commenting.

22. Post #22
    May 2008
    999 Posts
    Eclipse for java, VS 2010 for C#/C++, and gedit for python/ anything else

23. Post #23
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    And this for lua and other random things:

How can you possibly stand that color scheme?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 32 (list)

24. Post #24
    May 2008
    999 Posts
    I can't even read the that awful blue color, it actually has a bloom effect IRL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

25. Post #25
    May 2010
    5,413 Posts

Good old notepad++

sorry about the jpeg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 4Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    371 Posts
    This

or

Depending on the size of the project.

27. Post #27
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,073 Posts
    How do you guys get that sexy eclipse-skins? I want one too.

28. Post #28
    April 2007
    823 Posts
    How can you possibly stand that color scheme?
    Not sure really. I just really like it for some reason.

29. Post #29
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    I don't know why people change skins and colours. Doesn't it annoy you when you reinstall windows having to revert to all these non standard things because you're not used to the standard stuff? Isn't that time you could spend coding instead of fucking about with stuff that doesn't matter?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 14Winner Winner x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,073 Posts
    Well, I think it's just nicer with a skin, I can do it without, but it's more pretty when you have it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,516 Posts
    I'm sure it takes 5 seconds to install a theme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,503 Posts
    I don't know why people change skins and colours. Doesn't it annoy you when you reinstall windows having to revert to all these non standard things because you're not used to the standard stuff? Isn't that time you could spend coding instead of fucking about with stuff that doesn't matter?
    It only takes a few minutes to install a theme, though. Especially if you have the theme files (or whatever) backed up on a separate drive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    April 2007
    823 Posts
    Both VS2010 and notepad++ support importing and exporting all your custom settings. So you only have to do it once as long as you keep a backup of the settings somewhere. If you mean windows themes though, I guess so. I prefer the standard theme in windows.

34. Post #34
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    I just don't understand why you can't use the default theme/colours/settings. Is it so terrible?

What if you get a real job programming and have to look at a colleague's computer and can't read his code because his screen isn't black with green text on it.

I really don't understand why you'd take the time to fuck around with that stuff. Maybe I've grew out of it. I used to change my desktop theme and arrange my icons. I used to have the taskbar at the top, and the side, and have it auto hiding. Now when I see someone has changed that stuff it just makes them seem ridiculous - changing stuff, not because it's any better - just because they can, to prove they know how. Like anyone would be impressed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree x 21Dumb x 12Disagree x 2Friendly x 1Winner x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Der FΓΌhrer
    January 2011
    4,111 Posts
    Mine's always been the default theme because I CBA to install a new one that looks better - the current one looks fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36

November 2007
    355 Posts
    I just don't understand why you can't use the default theme/colours/settings. Is it so terrible?

What if you get a real job programming and have to look at a colleague's computer and can't read his code because his screen isn't black with green text on it.

I really don't understand why you'd take the time to fuck around with that stuff. Maybe I've grew out of it. I used to change my desktop theme and arrange my icons. I used to have the taskbar at the top, and the side, and have it auto hiding. Now when I see someone has changed that stuff it just makes them seem ridiculous - changing stuff, not because it's any better - just because they can, to prove they know how. Like anyone would be impressed.
    I prefer a dark scheme myself, mainly because it doesn't strain my eyes as with a bright / white / default scheme. When it's late in the evening and I'm looking, sometimes even staring at my code, can give me a headache.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

37. Post #37
    February 2008
    562 Posts

Yeah garry, I changed my settings to impress you. What would I do without your acceptance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 18Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,887 Posts
    Can I get your Notepad++ style?
    Settings/Style Configurator/Select Theme: Obsidian :buddy:
    (should already be included in vanilla install)

Edited:

I don't change it because it's the only way I can look at code, but because it doesn't hurt my eyes as much as when there's a white background burning with black text at a 5000:1 contrast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    September 2001
    12,435 Posts
    Why don't you just turn your monitor brightness down?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,887 Posts
    Because I like my games bright, and I'm too lazy to press my hard-to-press not-even-tagged monitor buttons.

Edited:

also, the default eclipse color theme looks like shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)