1. Post #1
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    7,186 Posts
    Why hasn't anyone made a new one yet?
    This is a thread for your silly little questions that don't deserve a thread as well as general discussion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2
    March 2011
    620 Posts
    should i use musca or something else?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    should i use musca or something else?
    I've never heard of it before, and after looking it up, it looks EXTREMELY bare-bones. I would go with Awesome or Openbox (seeing as how this is tiling/floating) out of popularity and extra features (compositing, on-the-fly reloading, multiple monitor support, etc.). If you want to try it, go ahead, but it looks to be either in heavy development or just a bare minimum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Just got a free inspiron laptop with a pentium4 in it. Still deciding on the distro, I'm just excited I have something to test distros on and not have to worry about destroying my windows partition. First up is arch.

5. Post #5
    Dragon Member
    January 2006
    1,312 Posts
    Trying to get Postfix to work, but am having a little trouble here. Apparently /etc/postfix/body_checks is not found, but I have no idea what I should do to get it there.

Here's the relevant part of the maillog:
    May 30 03:29:11 NEON-TEMP1 postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
    May 30 03:29:11 NEON-TEMP1 postfix/master[758]: daemon started -- version 2.3.3, configuration /etc/postfix
    May 30 03:29:11 NEON-TEMP1 postfix/cleanup[762]: fatal: open /etc/postfix/body_checks: No such file or directory
    May 30 03:29:12 NEON-TEMP1 postfix/master[758]: warning: process /usr/libexec/postfix/cleanup pid 762 exit status 1
    May 30 03:29:12 NEON-TEMP1 postfix/master[758]: warning: /usr/libexec/postfix/cleanup: bad command startup -- throttling
    Any idea what I should do? Running CentOS.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently it didn't find the file for body_checks. Disabled that line for now and Postfix seems to work. Except for a database file that prevents some of its functionality now...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,253 Posts
    I'm looking for an alternative to CentOS as a web server because the packages are not kept up to date enough, anybody have any suggestions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #7
    Dragon Member
    January 2006
    1,312 Posts
    I'm looking for an alternative to CentOS as a web server because the packages are not kept up to date enough, anybody have any suggestions?
    I don't really have suggestions, but for CentOS you can use alternative repositories, such as remi which has up-to-date versions of e.g. PHP and MySQL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,253 Posts
    I don't really have suggestions, but for CentOS you can use alternative repositories, such as remi which has up-to-date versions of e.g. PHP and MySQL.
    I already use remi for PHP and MySQL, I don't really want to build every single out of date package either, I think Debian packages are kept fairly up to date, unless I'm misinformed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

9. Post #9
    Dragon Member
    January 2006
    1,312 Posts
    Got the previous Postfix problem solved (solution in the problem post), but am having a different one. For some reason, I can't use receive mail (something related to TLS, apparently), as Postfix is unable to find a file called "smtpd_scache.db".
    I did a find for this, and apparently it's not even present - where and how should this be generated?

Exact error from the log:
    fatal: open database /var/lib/postfix/smtpd_scache.db: No such file or directory
    And the line in the config:
    smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:/var/lib/postfix/smtpd_scache
    (The .db is apparently appended automatically)

Anyone have any experience with Postfix and/or ideas how to fix this?

Edited:

Also getting this when trying to send mail to the server:
    Transcript of session follows.

Out: 220 <insert domain here> ESMTP
    In: EHLO mail-fx0-f51.google.com
    Out: 250-<insert domain here>
    Out: 250-PIPELINING
    Out: 250-SIZE 104857600
    Out: 250-VRFY
    Out: 250-ETRN
    Out: 250-STARTTLS
    Out: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
    Out: 250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
    Out: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    Out: 250-8BITMIME
    Out: 250 DSN
    In: STARTTLS
    Out: 454 4.3.0 TLS not available due to local problem
    In: QUIT
    Out: 221 2.0.0 Bye
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    3,259 Posts
    Not sure if this is the right place but, what program for linux servers is best for e-mail hosting?

11. Post #11
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    17,090 Posts
    3.0 parteyhhh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Scientific Linux. It's based of RHEL 6, and CentOS is at RHEL 5.6

13. Post #13
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,720 Posts
    Is it me or does CentOS really have the reputation of "running old shit" instead of "running stable programs"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    It should totally have been v. Install Arch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    October 2005
    7,186 Posts
    It should totally have been v. Install Arch.
    I was going to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    God I hate trying to get wireless to work on arch. Anyone know any easy tools I can download on ethernet to configure my wireless for me?

17. Post #17
    bye
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,109 Posts
    windows
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    wicd

That's to connect and what not.

If you need to setup the drivers and what not you're out of luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,019 Posts
    God I hate trying to get wireless to work on arch. Anyone know any easy tools I can download on ethernet to configure my wireless for me?
    What wireless card do you have?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,244 Posts
    netcfg, setup a profile and add net-auto-wireless to your daemons

It took me only a while to figure out but I didn't have proper drivers for half a year or so (Only got proper ones when I started experimenting with packet sniffing)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    Just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my Macbook Pro after deciding I need a non-virtualised Linux machine.

Dropped a SandForce-based SSD and some extra memory in there before I started, and hot DAMN it starts up quickly. Are there any tweaks I can do to get even more oomph out of the SSD? First time I've used one with Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,253 Posts
    Just installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my Macbook Pro after deciding I need a non-virtualised Linux machine.

Dropped a SandForce-based SSD and some extra memory in there before I started, and hot DAMN it starts up quickly. Are there any tweaks I can do to get even more oomph out of the SSD? First time I've used one with Linux.
    Not for Ubuntu but it will probably still apply, there's also info about Mac based computers:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...SD_Performance
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I heard that Fedora 15 with systemd starts up even faster on SSDs, but I don't have one to test.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,058 Posts
    I have Ubuntu 11.04, and I think it's messed up. Whenever I try to install a game, I get the message that there is no install CD inserted. There's nothing wrong with my CD-drive, so I assume the game is just looking in the wrong place for the CD?

25. Post #25
    October 2009
    1,195 Posts
    Niteshifter posted:
    You are typing, no characters, asterisks, etc. will show up though.
    I figured it out thanks to this thread. I didn't hit enter immediately after I input my admin password. I'm glad I figured it out though. This is what I love about the Linux kernel, and one of the main reasons why I'd ultimately like to develop for this shit.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,017 Posts
    When upgrading from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04, will it only replace the necessary files or will I need to reinstall my other programs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Show Events

27. Post #27
    October 2005
    7,186 Posts
    When upgrading from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04, will it only replace the necessary files or will I need to reinstall my other programs?
    It tells you what it'll remove before the upgrade I believe..
    Usually it only does upgrades and only removes deprecated shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    What wireless card do you have?
    Broadcom b43 or whatever its called. I got a free dell inspiron e1505 from uncle so I decided to use linux on it. I'd like to really give arch a go but the only thing holding me back is this network driver and setting everything up for the network wireless. Everything else is going smooth. I'd give more info on the nic card but I'm blanking on the command that gives all that info.

29. Post #29
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    I think that most broadcom cards are now supported.

You need to figure out what driver to install.

Instructions: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events

30. Post #30
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    I think that most broadcom cards are now supported.

You need to figure out what driver to install.

Instructions: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless
    Code:
    0b:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
    i think i'm good to go. I just gotta get my modules and all that stuff right. Here we go again.

Edited:

actually i think wicd should set me up for that.

31. Post #31
    PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!
    June 2009
    2,940 Posts
    Is CentOS a good distro for a home server or should I go with Arch or something else

32. Post #32
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    I'm going to attempt to install gentoo while still in arch (no vm, or liveCD). This should be interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    Code:
    0b:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
    i think i'm good to go. I just gotta get my modules and all that stuff right. Here we go again.

Edited:

actually i think wicd should set me up for that.
    You'll need to install the broadcom-wl module.

You can follow these instructions:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ss#broadcom-wl

Note that I recommend you install the module from AUR (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=19514)
    This download is listed in the article. It gives you 3 choices or something and this one is the least troublesome.

If you don't know how to install from AUR just look up AUR on the wiki or ask here. I'll be glad to guide you through.

If shit goes wrong somehow, you can look at these:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...roubleshooting

34. Post #34
    April 2011
    63 Posts
    I'm glad I didn't make another one of these.

I fixed a weird issue today. Some guy on IRC was trying to `cd` to a folder in his home directory, and he couldn't. No errors, nothing. Tried changing permissions along with a million other things. For whatever reason, though, `cd ~/folder` didn't work, `cd /home/username/folder`, but `cd $HOME/folder` worked just fine.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I'm going to attempt to install gentoo while still in arch (no vm, or liveCD). This should be interesting.
    As long as you aren't overwriting your Arch install it'll work exactly the same way as if you used a live CD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    As long as you aren't overwriting your Arch install it'll work exactly the same way as if you used a live CD.
    I pretty much figured that after the half ass install I did last time (I quit just before compiling the kernel). Currently, I'm still in Arch with a shell chroot (I did go out for the day; so I'm actually about 5 hours into the install). I'm liking the method that Gentoo uses, but wow is emerge ever slow.

Currently updating packages 2 of 82 so far.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member

May 2008
    1,986 Posts
    I've stopped the package update and removed the gentoo install. It's taking way too long to finish on this comp. Once I get something more powerful I'll pick it up again, but for now, I just don't have the time.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,074 Posts
    Anyone know if the broadcom-wl drivers already work on Fedora 15?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

39. Post #39
    July 2009
    1,267 Posts
    I'm pretty sure you could compile the driver yourself. It's all Linux after all. It should work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    October 2005
    7,186 Posts
    Wee, just compiled the liquorix kernel for my Arch system
    I'm gonna try compiling 3.0 soon for shits and giggles