1. Post #1
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    Being a Member of The Marine Corps for about a year now I've got a decent amount of experiance as junior enlisted, wich anyone thinking about going through the enlisted rought will have to deal with. I've been getting alot of PMs about it and figured it would be a good idea to start a thread on it. While I've never been deployed I know there are members on here who have so they should be able to help in that aspect.

People in other branches feel free to comment on your experiances as well!

If anyone has furthur questions reguarding the Airforce please feel free to PM JeffAnderson - http://www.facepunch.com/members/159897-JeffAndersen

Any Questions on the Navy PM Ta16 - http://www.facepunch.com/members/4187-Ta16

Questions refering to pay look here - http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp
    These do not incorporate BAS or BAH, which vary by rank and where you are stationed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 47Dumb x 42Disagree x 4Funny x 2Late x 1Optimistic x 1Zing x 1Winner x 1Informative x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    6,866 Posts
    What's your MOS and how much was your sign bonus?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    June 2010
    1,923 Posts
    How are gays treated in the military?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Optimistic x 69Funny x 12Agree x 6Friendly x 4Dumb x 3Informative x 1Zing x 1Useful x 1Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2010
    4,165 Posts
    Well, not in the USA, but I figure militaries are organises similar in almost all countries, so yeah.

I thought about being an officer (getting to college while paid and shit, family tradition, stuff like that)

I don't really want a desk job, so, from your experience, are officers also on the field?

I hope you can awnser this, if not, eh.

Anyway, stay safe :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

5. Post #5
    June 2010
    3,903 Posts
    plz tell my frend how relaistic mw2 is. he is stupidd and wont lisen to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 214Dumb x 5Agree x 3Winner x 2Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2010
    4,367 Posts
    What base are you at and what is it like?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #7
    September 2009
    12,103 Posts
    Being a Member of The Marine Corps for about a year now I've got a decent amount of experiance as junior enlisted, wich anyone thinking about going through the enlisted rought will have to deal with. I've been getting alot of PMs about it and figured it would be a good idea to start a thread on it. While I've never been deployed I know there are members on here who have so they should be able to help in that aspect. So fire away!
    What is your MOS?

What are your PT stats?

What base you currently stationed in?

At what times is it appropriate to wear the Marine Dress Uniform?

The government cut back on a lot of bonuses for the National Guard, chances are, the Marines also have little to no incentives.

8. Post #8
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    I'm currently an 8972 Aircrew trainee whose training to become a 6174 Helicopter Crew Chief. The training takes almost 2 years.

How are gays treated in the military?
    From what I've seen they're viewed poorly. Lots of homophobia and derogitory statements. I know people who are gay, but they'll probably never say it.

Well, not in the USA, but I figure militaries are organises similar in almost all countries, so yeah.

I thought about being an officer (getting to college while paid and shit, family tradition, stuff like that)

I don't really want a desk job, so, from your experience, are officers also on the field?

I know in the marine corps all officers are trained to be infantry platoon commanders, so any of them can be in the field with the grunts. Typically the ground officers find themselves in the field most often. They'll be right in the thick of it with the grunts in the battlefield.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,693 Posts

There are many different jobs for officers, you can't really generalize it like that.

Platoon leaders are generally First Lieutenants, which means you'd be in charge of a large number of people, it's very difficult job. Depending on your assignment you could see combat, but you'll probably be far too busy to fire your weapon.

Being an officer is a huge responsibility, regardless of your actual assignment though.

Edit:

I don't mean to hijack your thread, Jimmema, let me know if want it to yourself, I understand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    June 2010
    3,903 Posts
    are people your stationed with actually like "aw man cant wait 2 kill some terrorists man im fookin dyin to get out there and lite em up"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 59Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    What are your PT stats?

What base you currently stationed in?
    I have a PFT score of 280, which translates to 100 crunches (i got 174, but they dont count after 100), 20 pull ups, and a 3 mile run time of 21:20. That was my last PFT, right now I probably wont do so hot because I've got kidney issues that prevent me from PTing.

I'm currently station at NAS Pensacola. It's a very nice base, lots of activities and beautiful beaches.

are people your stationed with actually like "aw man cant wait 2 kill some terrorists man im fookin dyin to get out there and lite em up"
    No, not the guys who've been here awhile. Being in the airwing most folks aren't expected to see straight up combat unless they get assigned to a provisional rifle squad, but since half of the MOS's here can't be deployed as such since they're too valuable on deployments they can expect to spend most of their time behind the wire.

plz tell my frend how relaistic mw2 is. he is stupidd and wont lisen to me
    The only thing that was like MW2 was using night vision with an IR laser, but unlike MW2 it doesn't show up as a solid beam unless there is a lot of smoke or fog.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2010
    678 Posts
    damnit johnny you're making me want to do an enlistment term in the corps now
    shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

13. Post #13
    September 2010
    4,165 Posts
    Thanks for answering :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

14. Post #14
    September 2009
    12,103 Posts
    There are many different jobs for officers, you can't really generalize it like that.

Platoon leaders are generally First Lieutenants, which means you'd be in charge of a large number of people, it's very difficult job. Depending on your assignment you could see combat, but you'll probably be far too busy to fire your weapon.

Being an officer is a huge responsibility, regardless of your actual assignment though.
    Technically, the Sergeant Majors/First Sergeants look after the platoon for new, oncoming Lieutenants, they usually act as a median between officers and the enlisted.

15. Post #15
    December 2010
    678 Posts
    also next time i go to florida i gotta visit you because when we do the area we go to is pretty much right around pensacola / ft. walton
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    kwk
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,007 Posts
    The result of someone trying too hard...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2009
    12,103 Posts
    Also, did you train at Cample Pendleton, or at Parris Island?

Were you fit for the PFT before being introduced into Boot Camp?

Did going through Boot Camp significantly improve your first-time scores?

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,918 Posts
    How difficult would you think it'd be to go to a military academy? I'd like to go through the officer program at the USAFA in Colorado Springs, but I'm not entirely clear on what they teach there and how stringent the requirements are, even after looking at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

19. Post #19
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    also next time i go to florida i gotta visit you because when we do the area we go to is pretty much right around pensacola / ft. walton
    How do you know mah name?!

But yeah, USMC is the way to go in my opinion :P But you will get shafted the most out of all the branches when it comes to pretty much everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    September 2009
    12,103 Posts

But yeah, USMC is the way to go in my opinion :P But you will get shafted the most out of all the branches when it comes to pretty much everything.
    It usually depends on what you're aiming for career-wise.

Even though I'm enlisting for the Guard, my uncle still wants to go for something low-stress like the Coast Guard/Navy/AF.

Those branches usually cater well for 25B

21. Post #21
    March 2011
    620 Posts
    how do you guys feel about fighting an unjust war against poor kids
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 60Funny Funny x 9 (list)

22. Post #22
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    Also, did you train at Cample Pendleton, or at Parris Island?

Were you fit for the PFT before being introduced into Boot Camp?

Did going through Boot Camp significantly improve your first-time scores?
    I trained at MCRD sand diego, which part of it was at camp pendalton.

I was more than fit enough to get a 1st class PFT score prior to going to boot, partially because of the DEP program and partially because I've got a naturally high metabolism

My pull ups went up the most, I went from 11 to 20. My run time stayed the same, my crunches went up but it didn't matter because I was already getting over 100.

How difficult would you think it'd be to go to a military academy? I'd like to go through the officer program at the USAFA in Colorado Springs, but I'm not entirely clear on what they teach there and how stringent the requirements are, even after looking at it.
    I couldn't tell you much on the airforce cademy, but I know the Naval Academy and Westpoint are pretty strict for freashmen. First off you need to have a reccomendation from a state representative to attend and you pretty much need to have had better than B avarage in highschool. While in school your liberties will expand as you progress. You need to maintain at least a B avarage throughout your whole school career, and you will attened OCS in the summers between freshmen-sohomore and sophomore-juniot years. A good place to read up on that is wikipedia. I would assume the airforce academy would be similar.

how do you guys feel about fighting an unjust war against poor kids
    I feel indeferent on it. We do a job, we do whats asked of us. We may not like it, but we do it because we have to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    October 2009
    1,721 Posts
    What are the differences in pay rate between a regular enlisted member and an auditioned USMC Band member? I was considering in joining the band.

And do I need to join any kind of ROTC group prior to enlistment?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

24. Post #24
    September 2009
    12,103 Posts
    How's your buzz cut?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,918 Posts
    Well, I definitely meet the grade requirements, but I'm going to be a junior this year so it looks like I'm already screwed when it comes to that.

26. Post #26
    September 2009
    12,103 Posts
    If you're enlisting, that means you'll be starting out as a private when you sign that contract. Usually if you're jumping onto the ROTC-boat, you'll sign another contract that would null the one you signed when you enlisted.

Edited:

Well, I definitely meet the grade requirements, but I'm going to be a junior this year so it looks like I'm already screwed when it comes to that.
    You can enlist at 17 and certain branches have certain programs that allow you guys to train over the summer and get fit for basic training by the time you finish your senior year. The National Guard has the Recruitment Sustainment Program, depending on what state you're in they may have you for weekends to drill from Saturday to Sunday. The two-day drill pay for E-1s start at ~200 USD.

27. Post #27
    My dad is a Chief in the air force. Good to see a Military guy on here. Keep it up because the benefits are AMAZING!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member

September 2006
    8,277 Posts
    I plan on joining the USMC when I turn 18 (about a year) and I had a few questions:

1. What do you need to do to be prepared for the Marines?

2. Would having pectus excavatum be disqualifying?

3. Is it worth it?

4. Would an online homeschool high school diploma not work, or does it not matter?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    What are the differences in pay rate between a regular enlisted member and an auditioned USMC Band member? I was considering in joining the band.

I think band members may get a special band pay, which at most would be an extra $100-$150 a month added to your base pay. The big thing for band guys is that they pretty much get promoted for time in grade up till gunnery sergeant rather than lcpl. Normally once you hit lcpl you need to have a certain composit score based on a number of factors which will determine when and if you get promoted to cpl, but in the band its all based on time in service/rank.

You don't need JROTC, but it will get you promoted to PFC/E-2 right of the bat, putting you 6 months ahead of whoever startes as a Pvt.

30. Post #30
    October 2009
    1,721 Posts
    If you're enlisting, that means you'll be starting out as a private when you sign that contract. Usually if you're jumping onto the ROTC-boat, you'll sign another contract that would null the one you signed when you enlisted.
    -snip-

Answered above, thanks!

31. Post #31
    June 2010
    3,903 Posts
    assuming you were in a long line to get your buzz cut, were there any guys who had really long hair who were freaking out about getting it all cut off? i know some guys like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    September 2009
    12,103 Posts
    I mean in pertaining to joining the USMC band, is it recommended that I take ROTC?
    If you do want to take ROTC, it's really recommended that you start out a year as an enlisted rank. I'm following the same path my Uncle took, and it's certainly worth it.

33. Post #33
    BrQ
    Test victim #2
    June 2008
    6,861 Posts
    what's your kdr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 79Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,757 Posts
    Why did you even join the military?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts
    How's your buzz cut?
    I usually get a medium reg myself

I plan on joining the USMC when I turn 18 (about a year) and I had a few questions:

1. What do you need to do to be prepared for the Marines?

2. Would having pectus excavatum be disqualifying?

3. Is it worth it?
    1. A strong will to not give up. That's really all you need. it doesn't matter how prepared/unprepared you are when you go to boot, as long as you push through and give it your all you'll make a fine marine.

2. It could be, though I've seen guys with the opposite (which the chest sticks out) being in no problem. Talk to your recruiter about it, I think it would be fine.

3. Yes

assuming you were in a long line to get your buzz cut, were there any guys who had really long hair who were freaking out about getting it all cut off? i know some guys like that.
    The night we got off the bus I didn't see any. We were all in serious mode, I liked it when I got all my hair shaved off.

Why did you even join the military?
    Ever since I was little I wanted to join, I can't really explain why. If you need justifiable reasons It would be a sense of honor, the tight bond we all share, the sense of pride of being a marine. And of course all dem benefits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    September 2009
    12,103 Posts
    A lot of MOS's require normal color-vision and other certain physical pre-requisites, usually you can get a waiver for minimal things like red-green color blindness for IT specialist. Talk to the recruiter about it.

37. Post #37
    October 2009
    1,721 Posts
    Argh, I've got Red-Green color blindness. How often does the Band go overseas? I know that band members get some training in gun usage.

38. Post #38
    December 2010
    678 Posts

I AM GERMAN AAGUN fronkwost AA W0W00T killer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,918 Posts
    I read a few testimonials about the academies, and they sound rough.

Now I feel incredibly intimidated, how did you manage to make it through all that?

40. Post #40
    ~gay boi~
    July 2010
    14,202 Posts
    How tough is it to get in?
    To word that better, How fit do you have to be? What are the challenges assigned?

In Ireland you gotta cover 7 kilometres in an hour in gear (I think) as a base requirement but it's not like the Irish Army would be fighting anyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 22 (list)