1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    901 Posts
    Recently, it was billing time for brohoster. I paid all my invoices a week or two in advance, so I don't have to worry about anything not going through, etc.

Top is service, bottom is domain, both paid in full far before the due dates.

However, brohoster apparently neglected to renew the domain, resulting in it being squatted.

Not to mention I've had previous accounts of bad service with brohoster, I don't know why I signed up for it in the first place and delt with it.
    Thanks Brohoster for putting Hoes before Bros.

As for sending tickets, they removed webhosting support tickets, I had to file it under billing:

This is what has resulted of my beautiful website:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 161Friendly x 10Winner x 2Agree x 2Informative x 1Dumb x 1Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    foxcock
    June 2008
    5,903 Posts
    Brohoster puts on the appearance of a down to earth host that cares and whatnot, but it really isn't such a nicely run thing.

One time JWJ(brohost owner) posted here on facepunch something worded as if to insult another host, 'xenonservers' (who he previously had said helped him out somewhere along the line). I had asked in whatever the thread was why he would be harsh on them, to which the post was edited to remove the insulting wording. That isn't a problem, the problem is that he replied to me to pretend he never said it in the first place. Sneaky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 37Agree x 4Dumb x 1Disagree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,550 Posts
    This is what has resulted of my beautiful website:
    Dat gurning.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 73Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    February 2011
    40 Posts
    That's actually not a squatter -- that's the domain registrar themselves showing this page because the domain is pending expiration.

At the time you paid, it was just before Jacob actually handed us the domain names. He was supposed to back in December, but never did until after he was let go.

I've pushed through the domain renewal and renewal of ID Protection as well. Your domain should come back online within 12-24 hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Friendly Friendly x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,486 Posts
    Brohoster puts on the appearance of a down to earth host that cares and whatnot, but it really isn't such a nicely run thing.

One time JWJ(brohost owner) posted here on facepunch something worded as if to insult another host, 'xenonservers' (who he previously had said helped him out somewhere along the line). I had asked in whatever the thread was why he would be harsh on them, to which the post was edited to remove the insulting wording. That isn't a problem, the problem is that he replied to me to pretend he never said it in the first place. Sneaky.
    JWJ is no longer part of Brohoster.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 82Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,553 Posts

JWJ is gone now, and ever since then they've went to shit. They somehow fucked up the autopayments on a minecraft server a friend and I had, so now my friends account there is suspended and probably lost the map on the server too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 37Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    February 2011
    40 Posts
    JWJ is gone now, and ever since then they've went to shit. They somehow fucked up the autopayments on a minecraft server a friend and I had, so now my friends account there is suspended and probably lost the map on the server too.
    Autopayments aren't screwed up -- The only thing that was temporarily messed up was the automatic creation of new accounts as the Billing center hadn't been updated in nearly a year, so when we updated it, things broke.

If you give us your ticket ID number, we can get your account un-suspended.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    Brohoster have been great for me, besides a few problems when I first started (My fault for having too many plugins and not enough RAM)
    Now one of the employees regularly checks back on my server and comes to chat once in a while to see if we need any changes
    He also gifted me portal on steam out of the blue
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 29Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Cake like Lady Gaga
    December 2005
    16,445 Posts
    JWJ's gone? Guess I have no reason to continue using it, I pay for their cheapest hosting plan quarterly and don't do anything with it, I just have domains going through their nameservers or whatever, just too lazy to switch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member

June 2006
    1,041 Posts
    isn't JWJ the founder

who else runs it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

11. Post #11
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,893 Posts
    Hosting services come and go.

Xenon was the GMod standard awhile back, now they aren't, Brohoster came by. Now Brohoster is doing bad. They aren't really any "good" long-standing services.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    19,999 Posts
    Woah, when and why did JWJ leave? Wasn't he talking about a control panel he was making just for Brohoster recently? Or is he planning on selling that now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 28Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,553 Posts
    He basically got forced out for "being lazy" and posting a picture of himself smoking weed on Facepunch or something. I don't know the specifics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 67Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,691 Posts
    He basically got forced out for "being lazy" and posting a picture of himself smoking weed on Facepunch or something. I don't know the specifics.
    I thought he ran everything, shows how much I know. No-one else but him ever said anything about it so I just presumed...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

15. Post #15
    JWJ
    Meepwnd
    Dennab
    April 2010
    3,087 Posts

Fake merge edit:
    called it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 196Dumb x 4Winner x 3Agree x 2Zing x 1Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1Disagree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    January 2011
    1,509 Posts
    waiting for garry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    3,878 Posts
    Hi Jake
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Informative Informative x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,402 Posts
    yeah i think they fired their CEO or something like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    16,170 Posts
    Ever since JWJ got kicked out, it's gone to shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 51Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    June 2010
    626 Posts
    Back when I was testing out a Minecraft server hosted by Brohoster, I got an e-mail about their change of plans (new SSDs, higher pricing). It didn't have anything about JWJ getting fired though, when did that happen?

I only kept the Minecraft server for a few days anyway, but I would have bought a server from them if I had the time to keep it up. Looks like I won't now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    Ever since JWJ got kicked out, it's gone to shit.
    I haven't seen any changes, what evidence do you have for it's gone to shit? Sure, it's sad to see the founder go but the quality of service hasn't budged an inch.
    Do you host with them?

Edit:
    Hohoho hindsight is a wonderful thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    331 Posts
    Brohoster just isnt brohoster without JWJ.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 79Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,337 Posts
    Back when I was testing out a Minecraft server hosted by Brohoster, I got an e-mail about their change of plans (new SSDs, higher pricing). It didn't have anything about JWJ getting fired though, when did that happen?

I only kept the Minecraft server for a few days anyway, but I would have bought a server from them if I had the time to keep it up. Looks like I won't now.
    I never got an email about higher pricing? How long ago was this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #24
    June 2010
    626 Posts
    I never got an email about higher pricing? How long ago was this?
    http://i.imgur.com/oj7Nz.png

29th April

The prices got higher for new customers and those moving onto the new servers. It would have been the same for existing customers, who didn't want to move onto the new servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

25. Post #25
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,486 Posts

29th April

The prices got higher for new customers and those moving onto the new servers. It would have been the same for existing customers, who didn't want to move onto the new servers.
    It's really funny how that went down - prices went higher, then they went lower.

26. Post #26
    February 2010
    1,155 Posts
    Huh. JWJ was the face of Brohoster, that's why my friends and I were using it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31 (list)

27. Post #27
    Sock Queen
    August 2008
    16,170 Posts
    I haven't seen any changes, what evidence do you have for it's gone to shit? Sure, it's sad to see the founder go but the quality of service hasn't budged an inch.
    Do you host with them?

29th April

Edited:

Also op.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,380 Posts
    Meh, I've only really had a problem with the starting of the minecraft server, it took two days.. but I still have two instead of one mwahahhaa

I also waited 12 days for my ts server.... but i found out they were borked.. anyone know if they work now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    Edited:

Also op.
    The prices have reduced overall since then:
    New Pricing
    Bedrock Tier - $2.95/mo - 4 players (192MB RAM)
    Stone Tier - $5.95/mo - 8 players (256MB RAM)
    Iron Tier - $9.95/mo - 16 players (512MB RAM)
    Gold Tier - $19.95/mo - 32 players (1024MB RAM)
    Lapis Tier - $29.95/mo - 48 players (1536MB RAM)
    Diamond Tier - $39.95/mo - 64 players (2048MB RAM)
    Obsidian Tier - $59.95/mo - 96 players (3072MB RAM)
    Netherrack Tier - $74.95/mo - 128 players (4096MB RAM)
    So that email was written by Jacob (The one you quoted) and so that was at the time he was still CEO
    Whats that got to do with anything happening now?
    They are still going ahead with the expansion I don't see what point you are trying to make?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    336 Posts
    I also have some problems with their webhosting...
    My website a time ago just randomly went down, cPanel didn't work nothing.
    Right, So I asked their support. After 3 hours I got a response with:
    We're currently in a migration phase with our web hosting services, all of your issues should clear up after migration has ended. This may take place later tonight.
    They didn't even send me an email or anything at all, They just did it out of nothing.

Well after that was done, my cPanel got fucked up (Witch they still didn't fix) and stuff was just in general fucked up.

Well around 2 months later. I tried to get on my website and it told me the website was suspended. Ofc I immediately contacted their support, this time I noticed they don't even have a section for webhosting anymore.
    I open'd a ticket and the next day I got a ticket back with:
    Are you sure that this account is hosted with us? It's currently resolving back to "node59.myserverhosts.com" which is owned by HostNine, LLC.
    Then I send them this:
    I'm 100% It's hosted here, else I would not keep paying you guys money every month.
    But you are saying now my website got transfered without even noticing me about it?
    And then they send me this:
    Before Brohoster was merged with Club Uptime, Brohoster was reselling HostNine web hosting services. It looks as if your account was migrated to our servers here at Club Uptime, but your DNS records at your domain name registrar were not updated accordingly.

If you change your DNS servers to ns1.serverprovision.net, ns3.serverprovision.net, and ns5.serverprovision.net for your ns1-3 respectively, your website should start working once again within 12-24 hours or so.
    Thanks for not even notifying me about this Brohoster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Quality Poster
    August 2010
    8,469 Posts
    Brohoster? More like SURPRISEhoster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Informative Informative x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    I'll bet half the people posting in this thread haven't used brohoster before and are going purely by what they see.

If someone has a good experience with a game host (or general host) they are not likely to make a thread about it. On the other hand, with bad experiences like this people feel the need to rant about it, which is totally understandable and I can understand your frustration OP

But what everyone sees is the bad things about Brohoster, and the good things are unheard of because who goes around making threads saying "I've had a really great experience with Brohoster"? It's not nearly as interesting and so it never happens (Unless it's in a testimonial section or something)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,499 Posts
    The prices have reduced overall since then:

So that email was written by Jacob (The one you quoted) and so that was at the time he was still CEO
    Whats that got to do with anything happening now?
    They are still going ahead with the expansion I don't see what point you are trying to make?
    I'd really like to see some benchmarks or proof that you (you as in brohoster) can actually host 128 players without lag on a bukkit server with only four gigs of ram

JWJ's gone? Guess I have no reason to continue using it, I pay for their cheapest hosting plan quarterly and don't do anything with it, I just have domains going through their nameservers or whatever, just too lazy to switch.
    Namecheap has really good freedns to use

Hosting services come and go.

Xenon was the GMod standard awhile back, now they aren't, Brohoster came by. Now Brohoster is doing bad. They aren't really any "good" long-standing services.
    Allgamer is pretty good stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    23,266 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    I'd really like to see some benchmarks or proof that you (you as in brohoster) can actually host 128 players without lag on a bukkit server with only four gigs of ram
    Why are you asking me? Getting 128 players is impractical, it's difficult to even get 30 at any one time
    If you had hosted anything serious before you would know that
    I'm on diamond tier now but I have not had my server maxed out before. The only thing I can vouch for is the lower tiers, when I used to be on Iron tier 16 players ran fine. Assuming constant proportionality as we go up (which may or may not not be true) then we can assume that 4GB would indeed be capable of hosting 128 players
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,499 Posts
    Why are you asking me? Getting 128 players is impractical, it's difficult to even get 30 at any one time
    If you had hosted anything serious before you would know that
    I'm on diamond tier now but I have not had my server maxed out before. The only thing I can vouch for is the lower tiers, when I used to be on Iron tier 16 players ran fine. Assuming constant proportionality as we go up (which may or may not not be true) then we can assume that 4GB would indeed be capable of hosting 128 players
    I've gotten to 87 at once (And I averaged 34 before 1.6) with moderate lag on an 8GB alloc server with dual E5620's (Running in a ramdisk even). Minecraft is really a clock based game, so it may or may not run better with something like an x3470 compared to the dual e5620s. Brohoster's performance at that level (128 players) would, I imagine, depend on the cpu's in their boxes, if java didn't start throwing exceptions because it ran out of memory (It probably would, considering it started throwing exceptions about 60 players with a 4gb alloc)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    I've gotten to 87 at once (And I averaged 34 before 1.6) with moderate lag on an 8GB alloc server with dual E5620's (Running in a ramdisk even). Minecraft is really a clock based game, so it may or may not run better with something like an x3470 compared to the dual e5620s. Brohoster's performance at that level (128 players) would, I imagine, depend on the cpu's in their boxes, if java didn't start throwing exceptions because it ran out of memory (It probably would, considering it started throwing exceptions about 60 players with a 4gb alloc)
    I guess it's down to how well Minecraft is coded for now. How long ago was that? (when you had 87 and it was lagging)
    My only guess would be recent code improvements, if not then we would have to ask Brohoster for proof

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,499 Posts
    I guess it's down to how well Minecraft is coded for now. How long ago was that? (when you had 87 and it was lagging)
    My only guess would be recent code improvements, if not then we would have to ask Brohoster for proof
    1.4 & 1.5. It still gets up near there (high 70s) when we make group announcements. I hope with the modding API coming out soon someone will refactor the server to be a bit more optimized.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    1.4 & 1.5. It still gets up near there (high 70s) when we make group announcements. I hope with the modding API coming out soon someone will refactor the server to be a bit more optimized.
    Hopefully by the time it's fully released it will be more optimized anyway

40. Post #40
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    23,266 Posts
    I'm going to throw this out, moving from 1.5 to 1.6 boosts resource usage A LOT, almost doubled essentially.
    Wonders of adding a bit of code for maps and long grass ain't it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)