1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    Just thought I would post my ideas

The ground in the background would scroll up and down as you acceded and descended

If its a little to hard to see look at this

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 46Artistic x 4Winner x 3Useful x 3Informative x 1Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1Zing x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    October 2010
    10,403 Posts
    F3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Anonymous Proxy Show Events Disagree Disagree x 30Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    607 Posts
    In a non-cheating, immersive way, thank you very much

I like this idea. It gives a sense of navigation in the unknown depths. Of course it shouldn't be easy to make, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 29 (list)

4. Post #4
    November 2009
    3,535 Posts
    It needs to have an indicator of when you reach the depth that the majority of lava starts to appear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    In a non-cheating, immersive way, thank you very much

I like this idea. It gives a sense of navigation in the unknown depths. Of course it shouldn't be easy to make, though.
    I was thinking of crafting it like a clock or compass like with some material around the edge and redstone in the middle, but I cant think what it should be
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    607 Posts
    A map, perhaps?

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    It needs to have an indicator of when you reach the depth that the majority of lava starts to appear.
    my drawing is not accurate, but like this?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,427 Posts
    Altimeters work by measuring ambient pressure. In the old days barometers used to be made of glass, so I'd put glass in it somewhere. But then again, glass is too easily available for my taste.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,767 Posts
    OOO
    RGR
    OGO

o = gold
    g = glass
    r = redstone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

10. Post #10
    dvc
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,666 Posts
    What about something from the Nether? As hell is said to be the deep underground. It would also require you to actually get to the nether to craft it.

11. Post #11
    moo
    November 2006
    4,833 Posts
    Altimeters work by measuring ambient pressure. In the old days barometers used to be made of glass, so I'd put glass in it somewhere. But then again, glass is too easily available for my taste.
    maybe redstone in the middle, glass to each side, and iron in the corners?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2011
    1,452 Posts
    I think this is a great idea

I'd be really useful to have
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    May 2011
    1,306 Posts
    What about something from the Nether? As hell is said to be the deep underground. It would also require you to actually get to the nether to craft it.
    Yeah, I'm thinking this. Maybe the same as a Compass but with Glowstone Dust in the corners?

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    I would like to see some rare ore just from the nether, but for now just take this:

Now with added nether!
    http://i.cubeupload.com/5xsACc.png

Edited:

maybe an iron chest with glowstone in the middle

Edited:

I left something out

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 20Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    September 2009
    2,043 Posts
    I love the idea but I'm pretty sure everyone would say that Notch got the idea from terraria
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 26Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2010
    809 Posts
    It isn't like Terraria and Minecraft don't get any ideas from each other already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    October 2008
    718 Posts
    I love the idea but I'm pretty sure everyone would say that Notch got the idea from terraria
    Does it matter? I'm sure Terraria got quite a bit of inspiration from Minecraft. Nothing wrong with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

18. Post #18
    July 2009
    4,181 Posts
    Games have done depth meters before Terraria. To name an example, Spelunky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    what do they have similar

OH GOD NO TERRARIA HAS A CLOCK AND A SWORD AND A PICKAXE AND BRICKS OH MY GOD SOMEONE IS COPYING SOMEONE

Edited:

They also look completely different
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

20. Post #20
    September 2009
    2,043 Posts
    Does it matter? I'm sure Terraria got quite a bit of inspiration from Minecraft. Nothing wrong with that.
    It doesn't, just all those kids on the community will start pointing it out and start annoying everyone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    It doesn't, just all those kids on the community will start pointing it out and start annoying everyone
    Then we can just say what we just said

stating that, I want to say I wasn't aiming to be mean to you in my previous post :unsmith:

22. Post #22
    September 2009
    2,043 Posts
    Then we can just say what we just said

stating that, I want to say I wasn't aiming to be mean to you in my previous post :unsmith:
    oh it's ok, still wanting to see this in game or just a mod
    Try requesting it on minecraft forums, or do it yourself if you have any experience

23. Post #23
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,228 Posts
    Very good idea

Mod making time :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    Very good idea

Mod making time :buddy:
    :D

25. Post #25
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,228 Posts
    Progress!

Only thing thats left is the art right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    Progress!

Only thing thats left is the art right now
    Awesome

have you seen all the images I have posted? you could use this:
    http://i.cubeupload.com/YoNFK5.png

Edited:

it has floating islands and the nether on it at the moment

anything else then pm me

27. Post #27
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,228 Posts
    Some requirements for the art

16x128 for the scrolling one
    One block = one pixel

16x16 as any other item for the meter itself

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    Ok, Gimme a while to do it

How do you make it at the moment?

29. Post #29
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,228 Posts
    How do you make it at the moment?
    Make what?

I was thinking off maybe chopping off 2-4 bits off the player position, would make it move every x blocks instead of every block moved

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    Make what?

I was thinking off maybe chopping off 2-4 bits off the player position, would make it move every x blocks instead of every block moved
    like in the crafting table

I also have no idea about my art and the actual relation to the real world so I need some time to figure out how deep down the average chunk goes and stuff

31. Post #31
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,228 Posts
    like in the crafting table
    A block of dirt

Testing receipes!

It'll probably be:
    GGG
    IRI
    I I

G = Glass
    I = Iron
    R = Redstone

Edited:

Also, mind if i add you on Steam?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    Ok how is this?

I kind of blotted ores around to help show the level you are on:

http://i.cubeupload.com/A3b1Uf.png

Its all the right levels acording to these two images (Both from the minecraft wiki)

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/...yers_Chart.png

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/...t.beta.1.2.png

Edited:

mind if i add you on Steam?
    sure but i am sat in bed drawing at the moment and have no steam

Edited:

Now to start on the actual meter

Edited:

http://i.cubeupload.com/MStwwY.png

Meter done

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,388 Posts
    put a sign every 15 block in depth (note the depth level)

problem solved
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    November 2008
    2,518 Posts
    I'd make it partially easy to obtain, redstone with glass around it would be good, because you still need to get quite deep to get redstone.
    Also I don't think many would care how deep they are, because deeper = better.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    I'd make it partially easy to obtain, redstone with glass around it would be good, because you still need to get quite deep to get redstone.
    Also I don't think many would care how deep they are, because deeper = better.
    its like this

glass glass glass
    iron redstone iron
    iron iron iron
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,228 Posts

Art is good

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts

Art is good
    Wow

How long did this take you to do?

38. Post #38
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,228 Posts
    Also, this does NOT go well with HD texture packs

Edited:

Wow

How long did this take you to do?
    An hour or so
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 21Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,928 Posts
    Also, this does NOT go well with HD texture packs

Edited:

An hour or so
    Oh god

and awesome, when will it be out?

40. Post #40
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,228 Posts
    As soon as i figure out some way to fix it with HD texture packs

It will take 10 mins to one hour
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)